The Duke's

tommytouch

I've been researching The Duke's restaraunt in CM as our group plan to visit sometime soon.

Can anyone tell me if the prices are the same at both locations? I've heard reports that the night bazaar branch is more expensive due to the heavy tourist presence. Is this true?

Thamks for any help

You probably want to contact them directly for any group events. The Night Bazaar hosts many such events and the prices would actually be lower there for a group.

As far as the menu goes the prices are 10-20% higher on about 50% of the menu. Many groups prefer the Night Bazaar location for being closer to the hotels and for being in the Night Bazaar.

I stopped going to the Dukes because of their high prices, and because they charge you an extra 9% for VAT....

I really don't thank anyone will miss you.

I'm sure they won't miss me :)

I stopped going to the Dukes because of their high prices, and because they charge you an extra 9% for VAT....

It did get a bit more expensive yes.. But... what awesome quality and quantity, and super authentic if you like American food. Sure, the price does mean I only visit a couple times a year, but when I do I really enjoy it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Everyone is missed. There is a 99 Baht burger (1/4 lb.) with fries at the river location. 106 with government tax. No charge for water so you save 10 Baht there.

Did I forget to mention that the burger is fresh ground everyday?

Edited by getgoin

It did get a bit more expensive yes.. But... what awesome quality and quantity, and super authentic if you like American food. Sure, the price does mean I only visit a couple times a year, but when I do I really enjoy it.

Matter of opinion on the awesome quality and quantity

Why didn't you ask for the 15% discount given to those who can speak and read the Thai language? Clever little man.

Why didn't you ask for the 15% discount given to those who can speak and read the Thai language? Clever little man.

That's a real smart marketing ploy for a farang restaurant place a 15% discount notice in Thai so 99% of it farang customers can read it and ask for it

LOL

Edited by FarangCravings

agreed, but im not into american food so my tastes will differ

agreed, but im not into american food so my tastes will differ

How about the hindquarters of a nice little NZ spring lamb? :)

Edited by Blinky Bill

By group I meant four or five people, not tourists but expats from outside of Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the tip Blinky Bill, we'll be taking advantage of that.

I live 200 feet away from the one in the Bazaar. I walk to the one across the river it is cheaper and I feel better.

:D Yes the prices are at Dukes are a bit on the high side but the quality and ammount of food you get is worth the extra money. Also Dave the owner walks around talking to peopple and they are very flexable on your order. It is easy to get them to make changes to the menu. Also they have daily specials that are really great. I often find my self eating one just because it is a special and I would not normally order it. For instance the other night it was a double Chicago hot dog. It was awesome. :)

The Duke's to my knowledge is the only business to migrate to Bangkok from Chiang Mai SUCESSFULY. No other business has done that either from Chiang Mai or coming from Pattaya and Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The Duke's has been praised on Stickmanbangkok and CNN. So The Duke's must be doing something correct. Hats off to you Duke's

The Duke's to my knowledge is the only business to migrate to Bangkok from Chiang Mai SUCESSFULY. No other business has done that either from Chiang Mai or coming from Pattaya and Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The Duke's has been praised on Stickmanbangkok and CNN. So The Duke's must be doing something correct. Hats off to you Duke's

The Duke's is probably one of many businesses with many different lines of the business that have migrated to Bangkok successfully. There just isn't the ability to factfully check this. I know that The Good View Bar & Restaurant had migrated to Bangkok in the past As far as I know, it is sill operating. Your post is a good point for the Duke's..... I think it might be misleading, though.

MSPain

Everyone is missed. There is a 99 Baht burger (1/4 lb.) with fries at the river location. 106 with government tax. No charge for water so you save 10 Baht there.

Did I forget to mention that the burger is fresh ground everyday?

I'm not a penny pincher, I just don't care for their pricing policies. They do have good quality food, for the most part..

One of the biggest penny pinchers I know - a good man - eats there as often as he can, because you get so much for your money. The Duke's is almost the only place he will eat Western food because of the big portions and tasty dishes.

I would eat at The Dukes every day if I could afford it. Unfortunately I can't do this so I really look forward to my twice weekly meal there. The best steaks and ribs I have ever eaten in Thailand and very good value for money. Also I did not notice much difference in prices between the two locations in Chiangmai

macdonalds don't charge more at thapae gate. The highr rent is supposed to be compensated by more customers. If it isnt then you then the Dukes is paying too much at the night bazar which is dead at the moment. And yes i know airports etc are a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

macdonalds don't charge more at thapae gate. The highr rent is supposed to be compensated by more customers. If it isnt then you then the Dukes is paying too much at the night bazar which is dead at the moment. And yes i know airports etc are a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

Cost of doing business isn't necessarily what governs prices, how much people are willing to pay in an area and how much neighboring competitors are charging also comes into play.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Good View ??

I think they established a BKK branch a few years ago.

philw

Good View ??

I think they established a BKK branch a few years ago.

philw

Your a tad late on this one. Post number 18 pointed this out. Yes the Good View has established a branch in Bangkok wish them will. But this would be like comparing apple's and orange's.

I'm shocked that a restuarant actually pays their 7% VAT in CMai. Probably 1 from 100 would do, if not less...

Duke's is OK value, in terms of the 15% discount, lucky i had my girl with me or would have missed that one.

That 60 bt savings on a 400bt bill- not bad. :)

Yes all restuarants in Night bizaar area are more expensive- yet they pay a lot more rent. Give them a break.

I agree with most of the above. We go to dukes when we can afford it. We like the Night Bazaar location as its good for people watching, but the food is great quality in both. I don't much care for the VAT being addedseparately either, but at the end of the day, 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice' and the food is very good!

I've been there 3 times over the past couple of years and have mixed reviews.

First time, riverside for lunch with friends - excellent and absolutely huge pizza that I had to doggy bag and subsequently ate that same night and finished off for breakfast the next morning. Superb.

Second time, riverside again, this time for our wedding anniversary. We both had steak and was of dubious quality. Rather than being "marbled", both were fatty to the extent that they were about 60 - 70% edible. Service was pretty flaky too,

Third time, Night Bazaar for lunch. Absolute crap. I ordered a pizza and when I picked up a slice, the whole dam_n topping slid off due to the oil from the cheese. Disgusting. I asked for a complaints sheet only to be told "sorry, finished". I asked for the manager but was told he was not there so insisted on writing down my issues on a bit of paper but this was purely a venting exercise as I knew it'd end up in the bin rather than in the hands of the boss.

Those who like the place, fine. For me, it's doubtful I'll return unless I can guarantee my first pizza experience which was admittedly, outstanding.

Cheers,

Pikey.