The Duke's

tommytouch

Went to the Duke's riverside establishment some years ago with my ex and daughter, I ordered a steak with prawns (shrimps), the family ordered other fare from the menu. The steak was completely and utterly inedible, worse than boot leather. David was quite apologetic and said some of the staff didn't have much of a clue. The steak was eventually replaced but by that time my family had well and truly finished their mains and deserts as well. The only compensation was the offer of a free desert but after waiting for more than 1 hour to receive the edible steak my mind wasn't on relaxing with a free desert.

Haven't been back since.

I was a regular at the American on Thapae when David and Willie had it, food was good quality and value back then.

Went to the Duke's riverside establishment some years ago with my ex and daughter, I ordered a steak with prawns (shrimps), the family ordered other fare from the menu. The steak was completely and utterly inedible, worse than boot leather. David was quite apologetic and said some of the staff didn't have much of a clue. The steak was eventually replaced but by that time my family had well and truly finished their mains and deserts as well. The only compensation was the offer of a free desert but after waiting for more than 1 hour to receive the edible steak my mind wasn't on relaxing with a free desert.

Haven't been back since.

I was a regular at the American on Thapae when David and Willie had it, food was good quality and value back then.

Some years ago is more like 4-5 years and you are still crying about it. Did it ever occur to you that you might be doing someone a favor by not visiting their place?

Some years ago is more like 4-5 years and you are still crying about it. Did it ever occur to you that you might be doing someone a favor by not visiting their place?

That particular steak has appeared in a lot of posts over the years. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not crying at all, getgoin. The pain in the memory has faded now. :D

As far as doing a someone favour by not visiting the establishment, what do you mean? Most restaurants operate in an attempt to make money, some do and Duke's is a success story. My money is as good as the next customer's, I don't break furniture or abuse the staff, I do spend reasonable amounts of money on food and drink and I do tip generously.

That particular steak has appeared in a lot of posts over the years. :)

This is the 2nd (maybe 3rd) time mentioned, UG. It was a most memorable steak. :D

Haven't been back since.

Agree 100% Great food then, especially their Mexican food :)

It was alright for the times, but currently it wouldn't match up against just about any popular Western place. Memories do seem to improve with time though. :)

Yes, it would, in fact it would match up against ANY popular Western place :D

Were you here then?

Edited by LJW

It was alright for the times, but currently it wouldn't match up against just about any popular Western place. Memories do seem to improve with time though. :)

Yes, it would, in fact it would match up against ANY popular Western place :D

Were you here then?

Of course.

How about the hindquarters of a nice little NZ spring lamb? :D

that could possibly tempt me, but i usually get my fill on my trips back

This coming from Blinky, I think the suggestion was for the lamb to get her fill? :D

How about the hindquarters of a nice little NZ spring lamb? :D

that could possibly tempt me, but i usually get my fill on my trips back

This coming from Blinky, I think the suggestion was for the lamb to get her fill? :D

How could you suggest such a dreadful thing, WTK? :)

best pizza in thailand,

had one of the best and worst burgers in thailand, so afraid to order that again. (I suppose it depends on the day and staff)

only really complaint is their ceasers salad is just lame

go take a que from omalleys. now thats a proper ceasers.

best pizza in thailand,

had one of the best and worst burgers in thailand, so afraid to order that again. (I suppose it depends on the day and staff)

Overall, I find Dukes salads disappointing.....but I find most salads in Chiang Mai sub standard and overpriced. I'm always amused by the 'Garden salad' a load of lame lettuce on the bottom, a quarter of tomato thinly sliced and a couple of slices of cucumber

I haven't tried O'Malley's caeser salad, but I will based on the above recommendation.

Anyone know where the REAL salads are?

Edit: Sizzlers (early) isn't bad value.

Edited by uptheos

best pizza in thailand,

Overall, I find Dukes salads disappointing.....but I find most salads in Chiang Mai sub standard and overpriced. I'm always amused by the 'Garden salad' a load of lame lettuce on the bottom, a quarter of tomato thinly sliced and a couple of slices of cucumber

I haven't tried O'Malley's caeser salad, but I will based on the above recommendation.

Anyone know where the REAL salads are?

Edit: Sizzlers (early) isn't bad value.

They have a good burger or steak to go with that salad. :)