Non Imm O - Employment Prohibited Stated

Hi

I recently got an non imm O multi entry and at the bottom of the visa is stated "Employment Prohibited" My understanding was that with a Non imm O, if I receive a job offer, I can apply for a work permit.

Does this mean that I cannot apply for a work permit and work legally with the entry permit I will recieve when coming into Thailand with the Non Imm O I have ?

If this is so then I am surprised, but wonder what I need to do, in the event that I am offered a job and would like to keep things legal ?

Or does "Employment Prohibited" just mean that with this visa I cannot work and need to have an entry permit and work permit in order to do so ?

Thanks in advance....

Some things that may help to answer your question;

1. What country are you from

2. How old are you

3. Where did you apply for the Non-O

4. What was the basis of the application (Wife, Child etc)

Is it a NON-O or a NON-OA visa, they are different, and you can't work on a NON-OA.

Bob.

On what grounds did you get the 'O'?? Marriage, retirement or visiting family??

Certainly on a retirement visa (O-A) employment is prohibited.

My 'O' (marriage) does not have the 'employment prohibited' stamp.

DC

Looks like we posted together Matt :o

Edited by Crossy

Thanks for your replies so far...

To provide further info :

1. What country are you from - UK

2. How old are you - 37

3. Where did you apply for the Non-O - Hull

4. What was the basis of the application (Wife, Child etc) - Visit friends

I have a feeling that employment prohibited means on the visa or the entry permit that is provided when presented to the place of entry. But I do have the concern that when (if) applying for a work permit this extra stamp may cause problems at the place you get work permits from in Thailand ?

Cheers

You are aware that your visa type can be changed by immigration office inside Thailand now at the cost of 2,000 baht so it would not be that big a problem (unless the job is not enough to allow extensions of stay).

I do have some doubt that an O visa obtained for a visit should be used for employment. If for support Thai wife do not believe there would normally be any problem and I would say to fight to use it. As a retirement (long stay) is also an O type visa and employment is not supposed to be possible it seems a contradiction that all non immigrant visas can be used for employment but as we all know 'things happen'.

I do not believe you have any legal problem. If they accept it fine. If not do what they ask.

You are aware that your visa type can be changed by immigration office inside Thailand now at the cost of 2,000 baht so it would not be that big a problem (unless the job is not enough to allow extensions of stay).

I do have some doubt that an O visa obtained for a visit should be used for employment.  If for support Thai wife do not believe there would normally be any problem and I would say to fight to use it.  As a retirement (long stay) is also an O type visa and employment is not supposed to be possible it seems a contradiction that all non immigrant visas can be used for employment but as we all know 'things happen'.

I do not believe you have any legal problem.  If they accept it fine.  If not do what they ask.

I had a non immigrant O multiple entry visa, issued from Hull and using the same reason. Again it was stamped 'employment prohibited', but applied for and got a WP without any problems.

I do have some doubt that an O visa obtained for a visit should be used for employment.  If for support Thai wife do not believe there would normally be any problem and I would say to fight to use it.  As a retirement (long stay) is also an O type visa and employment is not supposed to be possible it seems a contradiction that all non immigrant visas can be used for employment but as we all know 'things happen'.

I do not believe you have any legal problem.  If they accept it fine.  If not do what they ask.

I had a non immigrant O multiple entry visa, issued from Hull and using the same reason. Again it was stamped 'employment prohibited', but applied for and got a WP without any problems.

Agree that it is being done and probably using the reasoning that once you have a work permit the purpose of your stay becomes employment. But if that is the case the argument that the entry should remain valid after employment ends becomes a circle. Best not to think too much I suspect. :o