PM Abhisit Names Khattiya Chief Terrorist Trying To Undermine Peace Process

webfact

Did you hear Abhisits inteview on BBC's " Hard Talk " ? It's like a mom talking to her 7 year old son.

Yes I saw it.....whatever respectability that the BBC had left me was straight down the the big white telephone...what a rude uninformed ignorant woman :) ....whereas the interview with Christine Amanpour on CNN had class and style ...the BBC has been in Thaksin's pocket ever since the coup

In saying all that it was really refeshing to watch the UK election results and commentaries with those old hand really professional presenters...it was the BBC of the past

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL ... more red posturing ....

The tax base is being affected. That affects money for ALL Thai people in the form of government services.

Tourism is being affected and that affects people all over Thailand, from the business people to the tax base to the employees that send money home from Phuket to other parts of the country. It affects Chiang Mai. It affects Pattaya. It affects Koh Chang. It affects Phuket. It affects Had Yai. It affects EVERY region of Thailand.

1000's of people in BKK have been unemployed by this. They come from all over Thailand. it affects ALL of Thailand. People will REMEMBER the reds and their violence for years! This will affect ALL of Thailand and not just until they go home but for YEARS!

And one of the areas that will affect Thailand for a long while: Foreign Investment.

If he's not out to prove that Khattiya is a terrorist, what is he doing then calling him a terrorist in front of the entire media? Either he backs this up with some clear evidence or I smell a lawsuit coming soon Abhisit's way.

I'm sure there is enough evidence that there will be no lawsuits coming anyones way.

Dr PM Abhisit

The people of Thailand for the past two months have suffered under an intolerable situation. When the ruling was issued by the courts regarding the seizure of part of former PM Thaksin's frozen fortune people expected his followers to protest. Within weeks they managed to mobilize their foot soldiers and we watched as they handed out cash and sent them off to Bangkok. They arrived and at once set about their plan to wreak havoc on the streets of Bangkok. We suffered through their traffic jams as they organized mobile rallies to disrupt the lives of the people here. With their arrival came the grenade attacks that occurred during the nights targeting businesses, politicians, and government buildings. Yet they were allowed to continue their protests. Seeking to do greater damage they occupied Rajasaprong intersection forcing the closing of many malls and businesses and putting tens of thousands of Thais out of work. The Red shirts continued to seek confrontation, they found it in Pathum Thani and the police meekly backed off. On April 10 the Red protesters turned the city streets into a battlefield, but that would not be the end of the killing. In other grenade attacks and clashes innocent bystanders and police have been killed or injured. Still the protests raged on. Despite a date for a new election the protests in recent days have only increased.

We have seen many crimes committed, we have seen violence, terrorism, kidnapping, murder, intimidation, and so much more. But there has been no justice. Millions of people live in this city and strive everyday to live productive lives within the law only to watch these people flaunt their contempt for that law. We have waited for a peaceful resolution, we have backed negotiations as a way to end these protests. New elections have been proposed to placate terrorists and even that is not enough for them. The people given the task of enforcing the law have repeatedly shirked that responsibility. Decent people have been harassed, attacked and had their rights violated by the Red protesters. No one protects them. It is my fear that even more innocent bystanders will be harmed by these protests before they are over.

We have trusted you as Prime Minister to handle this crisis. The choices you make are very important and the lives of more people hang in the balance. The roadmap to reconciliation is a positive step, but without the full cooperation of the Red protesters it is not enough. We have put our confidence in you, now is the time to show that confidence is deserved. The people of Thailand deserve a return to order and peace. Give us hope that you do indeed have a plan that will achieve this goal shortly. If however you do not, and if this crisis is beyond your ability to solve then I ask you to consider all the alternatives. If the decisions that must be made are to heavy for you we will understand if you must remove yourself and pass the job of Prime Minister to someone else within your party. It is the job of the Prime Minister to steer the nation in a direction that benefits all it's people. For the past 2 months it has been adrift at it is time to get back on course.

Lazarus, I don't think that it is fair to say that the "people of Thailand' are suffering...it's totally quiet and peaceful in the provinces and apart from a the relatively few who live or work in the better off parts of Bangkok, no one is even being inconvenienced to any great extent....I will accept that the rich folk who want to shop in those fancy shops around Rajprasong have been inconvenienced and may even have had to shop somewhere else, or delay their purchases...indeed what is so effective about the protest is its targeting, it has left 95% of the population totally untouched, but has hurt the privileged classes....

R u for real ????....have you had a chat to any of the employees of the hotels and associated industries who have been made redundant over the last few weeks as a result of this violence

Dr PM Abhisit

The people of Thailand for the past two months have suffered under an intolerable situation. When the ruling was issued by the courts regarding the seizure of part of former PM Thaksin's frozen fortune people expected his followers to protest. Within weeks they managed to mobilize their foot soldiers and we watched as they handed out cash and sent them off to Bangkok. They arrived and at once set about their plan to wreak havoc on the streets of Bangkok. We suffered through their traffic jams as they organized mobile rallies to disrupt the lives of the people here. With their arrival came the grenade attacks that occurred during the nights targeting businesses, politicians, and government buildings. Yet they were allowed to continue their protests. Seeking to do greater damage they occupied Rajasaprong intersection forcing the closing of many malls and businesses and putting tens of thousands of Thais out of work. The Red shirts continued to seek confrontation, they found it in Pathum Thani and the police meekly backed off. On April 10 the Red protesters turned the city streets into a battlefield, but that would not be the end of the killing. In other grenade attacks and clashes innocent bystanders and police have been killed or injured. Still the protests raged on. Despite a date for a new election the protests in recent days have only increased.

We have seen many crimes committed, we have seen violence, terrorism, kidnapping, murder, intimidation, and so much more. But there has been no justice. Millions of people live in this city and strive everyday to live productive lives within the law only to watch these people flaunt their contempt for that law. We have waited for a peaceful resolution, we have backed negotiations as a way to end these protests. New elections have been proposed to placate terrorists and even that is not enough for them. The people given the task of enforcing the law have repeatedly shirked that responsibility. Decent people have been harassed, attacked and had their rights violated by the Red protesters. No one protects them. It is my fear that even more innocent bystanders will be harmed by these protests before they are over.

We have trusted you as Prime Minister to handle this crisis. The choices you make are very important and the lives of more people hang in the balance. The roadmap to reconciliation is a positive step, but without the full cooperation of the Red protesters it is not enough. We have put our confidence in you, now is the time to show that confidence is deserved. The people of Thailand deserve a return to order and peace. Give us hope that you do indeed have a plan that will achieve this goal shortly. If however you do not, and if this crisis is beyond your ability to solve then I ask you to consider all the alternatives. If the decisions that must be made are to heavy for you we will understand if you must remove yourself and pass the job of Prime Minister to someone else within your party. It is the job of the Prime Minister to steer the nation in a direction that benefits all it's people. For the past 2 months it has been adrift at it is time to get back on course.

Lazarus, I don't think that it is fair to say that the "people of Thailand' are suffering...it's totally quiet and peaceful in the provinces and apart from a the relatively few who live or work in the better off parts of Bangkok, no one is even being inconvenienced to any great extent....I will accept that the rich folk who want to shop in those fancy shops around Rajprasong have been inconvenienced and may even have had to shop somewhere else, or delay their purchases...indeed what is so effective about the protest is its targeting, it has left 95% of the population totally untouched, but has hurt the privileged classes....

LOL ... more red posturing ....

The tax base is being affected. That affects money for ALL Thai people in the form of government services.

Tourism is being affected and that affects people all over Thailand, from the business people to the tax base to the employees that send money home from Phuket to other parts of the country. It affects Chiang Mai. It affects Pattaya. It affects Koh Chang. It affects Phuket. It affects Had Yai. It affects EVERY region of Thailand.

1000's of people in BKK have been unemployed by this. They come from all over Thailand. it affects ALL of Thailand. People will REMEMBER the reds and their violence for years! This will affect ALL of Thailand and not just until they go home but for YEARS!

Well said!

The chain reaction of this whole event will be felt for quite a while yet.

My country's embassy like many is recommending against all non-essential travels to Thailand.

Surely the drop in tourism numbers is effecting more than just locally effected businesses.

I can't help but think that Abhisit should shut up with this nonsensical naming of people he doesn't like as being responsible for whatever crime du jour...it isn't at all helpful...if he suspects someone of a crime, he should have him arrested and prosecuted...

This stupid putting names on a piece of paper and calling it a conspiracy against the monarchy without a shred of evidene, or this senseless naming of Seh Daeng, it's worse than pointless, it's counter productive....show us the beef Abhisit, show us the beef...

Arrest warrants have been issued. DSI is still working but has caught plenty of people involved with the red shirt leadership that have had weapons with them or in their houses.

Thailand has some of the strictest defamation and libel laws in the world and the PM goes on TV with this. The evidence is there.

Note the total lack of info or evidence given by the PM linking Khattiya to any actual wrongdoing. But that's not important as he is against Abhisit's roadmap, wants the demonstrations to continue and is in contact with Thaksin. So he is now Thailand's 'Chief Terrorist'.

But as Abhisit's definition of terrorist also includes anyone who tries to undermine the road map. Surely, the PAD given their reaction and objection to the roadmap, are also terrorists.

:)

It wasn't a court of law. He isn't out to prove that Khattiya is a terrorist, although there is plenty of evidence available pointing to that fact.

There is a big difference between the yellows objecting to the road map, and Khattiya doing things to stop the road map from proceeding.

IMO, the yellows should be saying "We object to violent mobs forcing the government into elections, but we accept that the road map is a way forward".

(And before you come back with what the yellows did, the yellows did not cause the PPP/PTP government to fall, neither did the courts. It was the smaller parties no longer supporting an incompentent government that put Abhisit into power.)

If he's not out to prove that Khattiya is a terrorist, what is he doing then calling him a terrorist in front of the entire media? Either he backs this up with some clear evidence or I smell a lawsuit coming soon Abhisit's way.

I suspect there is little need to convince the Thai public that Seh Daeng is behind at least the organized part of the violence, as it's pretty well accepted. He has not been very quiet over the years.

As far a the word terrorist, he's probably more of a phoo gaw gan rai.

I can't help but think that Abhisit should shut up with this nonsensical naming of people he doesn't like as being responsible for whatever crime du jour...it isn't at all helpful...if he suspects someone of a crime, he should have him arrested and prosecuted...

This stupid putting names on a piece of paper and calling it a conspiracy against the monarchy without a shred of evidene, or this senseless naming of Seh Daeng, it's worse than pointless, it's counter productive....show us the beef Abhisit, show us the beef...

Arrest warrants have been issued. DSI is still working but has caught plenty of people involved with the red shirt leadership that have had weapons with them or in their houses.

Thailand has some of the strictest defamation and libel laws in the world and the PM goes on TV with this. The evidence is there.

Where exactly is the evidence? I assume that it will be a "closed-doors" trial. The public won't ever get to see the evidence. So how sure are we that it's there? Sure, Seh Daeng is a rogue nut, but I'd still like to see the evidence that the government has on him. Simply saying "grenades were thrown, Seh Daeng is responsible" probably wouldn't stand in a court of law anywhere in the world, but it may well be enough evidence in Thailand.

If Thailand had capable special forces, they would be able to send a snatch squad to get Seh Daeng, who is seen near the Saladaeng barricades often enough. A slightly botched job where he is shot dead while resisting arresting arrest would be even better. Unfortunately Thailand's military are flabby and corrupt and incapable of any impressive action. Allowing a pschycopath like Seh Daeng to be a general says it all.

The brutal murders of two "phrai" policemen who were just poor sods trying to do their jobs to support their families indicates very strongly that the chief sponsor of the red shirt demonstrations who also finances and arms the black shirt hit men has no interest in the road map to peace that doesn't give him immediate palpable returns on his investments to date. Murdering random policemen in cold blood just to make a political fashion statement is an expensive luxury that must be at the top of the assassins' menu of premium services on offer, due the harsh treatment they can expect from police during interrogation, if they are ever caught. Nevertheless, this is only small change for him in the video game of Risk he is now playing from his luxury suite with nothing to lose personally.

Perhaps Abhisit should just wait it out till the end of September and then let Gen Prayuth clear the red shirts out of Rajprasong and hold the next elections in Nov 2011. He shouldn't have expected much from a road map anyway. He should know that Thais who didn't go to Eton can't read maps. At the very least, he should delay the election date a day for every day the red shirts delay dispersing their rally.

Edited by Arkady

Terrorist or not, government officials are not entitled to publicly undermine the government. Whether you are red or yellow - Khattiya is an utter bottom-of-the-barrel DISGRACE to the army. In any other country he would as a minimum be charged and jailed - or worse.

But not in Amazing Thailand.

Where exactly is the evidence? I assume that it will be a "closed-doors" trial. The public won't ever get to see the evidence. So how sure are we that it's there? Sure, Seh Daeng is a rogue nut, but I'd still like to see the evidence that the government has on him. Simply saying "grenades were thrown, Seh Daeng is responsible" probably wouldn't stand in a court of law anywhere in the world, but it may well be enough evidence in Thailand.

Probably with DSI, you might ask them, their out on Jaengwhattana Road in a new building.

Probably with DSI, you might ask them, their out on Jaengwhattana Road in a new building.

Sae Daeng can obviously sue the government. If he does then our redshirt guy can see the evidence :) Of course if Sae Daeng sues he opens his entire character up for other charges :D

I only get the quoted remarks of several posters ....

edit -----

BTW it is entirely possible that the Army handles this internally. Sae Daeng is FIRST a general ... and Army law may get first bite at him. Hand the man a blindfold and a cigarette.

Edited by jdinasia

Just because he doesn't worry about telling YOU what evidence he has,

doesn't mean there is none. Prosecuters present evidence, politicians announce initiatives;

that this is what we will do.

So they will now go after Sea Duang, if the can and not kill innocents in the process.

This also basically says he is cut from the army payroll... boo hoo, boo hoo.

Suspended and main suspect.

jdnasia

" BTW it is entirely possible that the Army handles this internally.

Sae Daeng is FIRST a general ... and Army law may get first bite at him.

Hand the man a blindfold and a cigarette."

Exactly. Suspended or not he is still a military man until his resignation is accepted.

So is subject to military justice. Shooting fellow army officers, most likely is a capitol offense.

Edited by animatic

BTW it is entirely possible that the Army handles this internally. Sae Daeng is FIRST a general ... and Army law may get first bite at him. Hand the man a blindfold and a cigarette.

I'm wondering why they haven't handed him that blindfold and cigarette yet. He's walking around Rajprasong every day, in clear view of the army.

I'm wondering why they haven't handed him that blindfold and cigarette yet. He's walking around Rajprasong every day, in clear view of the army.

Pretty simple to figure out....

too much collateral damager to take him down, there.

"BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday named suspended Army specialist Maj Gen Khattiya Sawasdiphol as the mastermind and chief terrorist who tried to undermine the road map to bring about political reconciliation."

Did I miss something? The PM names him as a terrorist but list no specific acts of terrorism. What is he referring too? The attacks on the police? The bombs on Silom?

I have no idea Khattiya committed terrorism, maybe he did, but if he did, why not indite him on those acts? Seems a bit backwards to me just to call someone a terrorist without specifically charging him or at least saying exactly what he did.

Like I asked, did i miss something??????

Yes...a brain...!

hmmmm..... i think i have a brain. Maybe i need to clarify. I was using something called sarcasm, i think? i was trying to suggest the if the PM believes some is a terrorist, charge him for the act of terrorism he committed. Call me an idiot.

My take on this is that the Thai government are giving the 3 stooges a way to seperate themselves from Thaksin & Seh Deang.

The reasons for all sides to take advantage of that deal are obvious. Freedom from the stooges and the ability to make Thaksin a pariah internationally as well as further disconnect him from the scene here.

Of course, as they say - if this commander falls, there's a second and third line commander behind him. Then again, depending on how Seh Deang falls, that second and third line may re-think their retirement plans.

Oh boy! When the game is over and it's time to pay the piper, it looks like all these stooges are going to plea-bargain with denouncements of Khattiya and his thugs. We'll be seeing pics of Arisman et al pointing their fingers at him, piles of munitions, etc.

Doesn't the Thai military have something akin to court martial, or is that system completely corrupt as well?

What I'd really like to see is Thaksin get branded as a sponsor of terrorism, and then get scooped up in a very unceremonious way: maybe on a trip to Fiji the Aussie AF coerces a landing and the former owner of Manchester City gets a taste of Commonwealth justice in a concrete cell. Kevin goes before the news cameras and makes the announcement, wearing an expression like he's about to spit.

"BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday named suspended Army specialist Maj Gen Khattiya Sawasdiphol as the mastermind and chief terrorist who tried to undermine the road map to bring about political reconciliation."

Did I miss something? The PM names him as a terrorist but list no specific acts of terrorism. What is he referring too? The attacks on the police? The bombs on Silom?

I have no idea Khattiya committed terrorism, maybe he did, but if he did, why not indite him on those acts? Seems a bit backwards to me just to call someone a terrorist without specifically charging him or at least saying exactly what he did.

Yes...a brain...!

hmmmm..... i think i have a brain. Maybe i need to clarify. I was using something called sarcasm, i think? i was trying to suggest the if the PM believes some is a terrorist, charge him for the act of terrorism he committed. Call me an idiot.

There is an arrest warrant out for Sae Daeng. Since there are arrest warrants out for others for the same charges it is likely that they have a witness or witnesses that can tie Sae Daeng to others

Oh boy! When the game is over and it's time to pay the piper, it looks like all these stooges are going to plea-bargain with denouncements of Khattiya and his thugs. We'll be seeing pics of Arisman et al pointing their fingers at him, piles of munitions, etc.

Doesn't the Thai military have something akin to court martial, or is that system completely corrupt as well?

What I'd really like to see is Thaksin get branded as a sponsor of terrorism, and then get scooped up in a very unceremonious way: maybe on a trip to Fiji the Aussie AF coerces a landing and the former owner of Manchester City gets a taste of Commonwealth justice in a concrete cell. Kevin goes before the news cameras and makes the announcement, wearing an expression like he's about to spit.

Thaksin a sponsor of terrorism. I like that thought, and I don't think you're too far off on that one :)

He should have taken his petty two-years of jail at the start for his criminal offences. Supposing the sponsorship does come to light, he will have wished he had done the right thing years back.

Just because I see it mentioned here often, that description above matches the airport closure perfectly. :)

Does Thailand have the equivalent to the UCMJ? If so, and Seh Daeng is arrested by the military, any courts-martial are likely to be held sequestered from the public. In general, military forces do not like to make a dog-and-pony show about one of its own gone bad. It's possible that after a Tribunal rules on him (and after any appeals, if those are allowed), we'll see a two-line paragraph announcing his dispatch from this world.

If they don't have a UCMJ, they must have some form of armed forces trial system. It would be interesting to find out what that is....anybody know how these things work in Thailand?

You should apply to the Prosecutor's Office to have copies of all evidence forwarded to you for your review.

There is a ton of evidence against Sae Daeng and as for photos, there are published photos of the grenades found in his home. Try google or even a search here on this forum.

Does Thailand have the equivalent to the UCMJ? If so, and Seh Daeng is arrested by the military, any courts-martial are likely to be held sequestered from the public. In general, military forces do not like to make a dog-and-pony show about one of its own gone bad. It's possible that after a Tribunal rules on him (and after any appeals, if those are allowed), we'll see a two-line paragraph announcing his dispatch from this world.

If they don't have a UCMJ, they must have some form of armed forces trial system. It would be interesting to find out what that is....anybody know how these things work in Thailand?

My understanding is the Seh Daeng is still drawing his paycheck from the Army.

But the Army this week put up a request to dismiss him, which was forwarded to Abhisit for approval.

Then, Abhisit starts to label him as the Master Terrorist.

Seh Daeng is probably more afraid of the public prosecutor than his old Army buddies.

If the government has been trying to fracture the red line of command, I would say they have been doing a good job, especially since the local leadership is already in serious disarray.

At any level, anyone that wants amnesty will just point their finger upward to the big man overseas.

He certainly would appear the likely suspect for mastermind.

Abhisit need not list the actual evidence leading to his conclusion.

This is for prosecutors in court to do.

Secondly with S.D. still at large, this might give him clues to what and HOW they know info on him.

Best, and safer for sources, to play cards close to the vest, but still drive a greater wedge

between Sea Dung and other Reds, and also give your average Thai more incentive to phone in a reported sighting.

Well said. Only a moron would post the evidence against Khattiya on a open forum. Same goes for those who ask for it. Try to get a grip on reality.

Did no one notice this line in his statement

[He said the reconciliation process would not allow Thaksin to get his impounded assets back and would not grant him amnesty.]

I don't recall that being a red shirt demand as a mater of fact the only ones who claim that is a condition are the anti red shirts. :)

Yes...a brain...!

There is an arrest warrant out for Sae Daeng. Since there are arrest warrants out for others for the same charges it is likely that they have a witness or witnesses that can tie Sae Daeng to others

Thailand is the land of arrest warrants. Doesn't mean a thing. Even if the guy gets caught, he'll never stand trial and will just be released back to the pond. He'll never do time. No such thing as true justice in Thailand. It's a joke. It's the same as receiving a 5-year ban from politics. You just pass your position to your kin and run the puppet show from behind.

Not all that sure about the army remember they took the engines of the barges they had loaded with refuges and towed them out into the middle of nowhere. They were then allowed to set up there own investigative panel. Result "Nothing"

Keep it in the public sector and then if they bury it at least the public will know.

Dr PM Abhisit

Retarius, sorry that's absolute rubbish.

I live elsewhere than Silom - OK, on a tourist-populated island, so I'll be feeling the effects of the major damage to tourism - but the simple fact is there is a lot less money coming in, which has knock-on effects everywhere.

Examples: Hotels don't get guests, airlines don't get passengers and real estate companies can't sell property - so the local laundry service, tour guides, Web designers, advertising media, travel agents, shops... plenty more can go on that list.

Then of course the political instability causes companies to decide to invest elsewhere, sometimes costing as much as 5,000 jobs a pop.

This is basic economics. Everyone must bear the brunt of a drop in national income. If people who buy rice can't afford to buy as much as before, it's the farmer who has to deal with it.

OK, I'm going to be blunt.

Che, I've seen others on this forum say you a paid Thaksin-propaganda artist. I think the majority would say they are not happy to do this publicly as it might make them look non-neutral.

I believe you are either a serial flamer (playing devil's advocate to get a reaction off people for your own amusement) or the above statement is 100% spot on. Your posts and your writing style would suggest you have had an education, so you're obviously not a fool.

Also, please remember that being critical of the courts in Thailand is against the Law. Possibly this is not a good Law, but it is a Law nonetheless and so I'd presume it's against the rules of this board.

Anyway, as many have said, Abhisit is not a court so he doesn't need to show any evidence - but if he's wrong he can expect some serious backlash at some point, don't you think? Of course, he is also an educated man and I wouldn't expect any such statement from Abhisit unless he knows full well and has physical and documentary evidence that his statement is absolutely true.