Strange Happenings In Ao Nang

grumpyoldman

So I have been travelling to Ao Nang for a few years now, last time there about two weeks back a couple strange things happened.

First, I was in the high speed internet shop just back from the beach road, when three Russian, or Eastern European 20 somethings pulled up the computer next to me. Two were sitting next to me one behind me. My backpack is on the floor between us.At one point I feel some hair on my leg and I notice the one behind me making like she doing something with a USB stick, but I can see she is doing something with my backpack. Seemed to be struggling with the zipper on a compartment.

I close all windows on the computer pick up my pack to go, barely brush the stick in their computer when they jump up and say "you have broken our memory stick, our photos are gone"!

I basically say that's ludicrous when they say you need to give us money................uh huh...............the male of the group tries for a moment to get tough, I eyeball him a bit and he lets out some profanities and that's about it. Strange attempt at a scam I thought.

Not but an hour later I'm on the wall at Ao Nang beach having a sunset beer, when a Thai lady pulls up makes a little conversation and then goes right into, "my Mom is sick can you give me 3000thb".........................uh huh...........let me just get that right out for you..............

Just seemed strange for Ao Nang, in all the years I have been travelling there and never had things like these happen there, back to back, "backpacker scam" and "the family needs a new buffalo" routine when I don't even know the person

• 3 weeks later...

Was in Ao Nang earlier this week for a few days, haven't been there for about a year and was surprised how quiet the place was - strongly suspect that the previous post hits the nail on the head, no tourists so people are getting desparate. On that note, stopped by to see a long term friend who ceased work for Boots in Phuket to open her own pharamcy in Ao Nang and she confirms business is pretty bad, barley making the rent payments, everyone in the same boat. Went to buy Nicorette at another pharmacy and found the price to be double that of Phuket (290 baht per sheet), my friend tells me it's the same every where in the town, products potentially in demand by Eurpoeans get hiked in price until they are totally unrealistic, still they sell.

Was in Ao Nang earlier this week for a few days, haven't been there for about a year and was surprised how quiet the place was - strongly suspect that the previous post hits the nail on the head, no tourists so people are getting desparate. On that note, stopped by to see a long term friend who ceased work for Boots in Phuket to open her own pharamcy in Ao Nang and she confirms business is pretty bad, barley making the rent payments, everyone in the same boat. Went to buy Nicorette at another pharmacy and found the price to be double that of Phuket (290 baht per sheet), my friend tells me it's the same every where in the town, products potentially in demand by Eurpoeans get hiked in price until they are totally unrealistic, still they sell.

I'm with you on Ao Nang being expensive. Cut myself over in Railay on some sharp coral, stepped into one of the pharmacies to get my typical antibiotic ointment that I pay about 100thb for in Phuket. 220! I laughed, passed on it, used a lot of soap instead.

Restaurants too, way overpriced except for the geow teow guy in front of the Quikkie Mart.

Ao Nang being expensive

The blame goes mainly to the landlords, asking for sky high rents and each time the contract expires, they double the rent for the next period.

except for the geow teow guy in front of the Quikkie Mart

They don't have the burden to pay a rent