Today Was The Hottest Day Of The Year

iainiain101

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I am at the moment(Surin) it is a cool 37.7C at 16:00PM. The breeze is coming up along with the late afternoon thunderheads. After last night's welcomed rain for about 5 hours that had the frogs jumping and singing into this morning. May be I'll have and instant replay. :)

You better go buy a new thermometer yours are no good at 16:00PM it was 41c. Source www.tmd.go.th/en.

Same here at 5.00pm 41c.

Not so bad for those in small apartments with aircon, easy to keep cool, but when you`re living in a large house like my family and I, it`s unbearable, even the aircon can`t cope.

The tape water is running scolding hot, fans just blowing hot air, ceramic tile floor burn the feet when walking and metal door handles too hot to touch.

Can the situation get any worse?

I live in a large house.. Either I hole up in one of the smaller rooms with the best airconditioner (the downstairs office room, which has a very nice Mitsubishi unit), OR I set the living room airconditioner to 28 or so and have the ceiling fan on. Then it's okay enough when staying near the cool floor. :)

I normally don't run the living room aircon; we just put it there because we had one left over. It's not really designed to keep the whole area cool, but it makes a nice enough difference with the fan running as well.

It's funny walking up the stairs; temperature goes up a full degree with every step. :D

Also funny with temperatures higher than body temperatures is that normally cool surfaces feel warm to the touch... So even when touching metal, glass or granite, it feels warm.. Same for the 'cold' water coming out of the taps..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

How bad is it? Now? Historically? Depends. For trends, search for "climate graphs" or "climographs" for Chiang Mai. If you eyeball them fairly carefully, you'll see that the current highs appear to be above "normal," which is an average in any case. If you are in the city, it is probably hotter than if you are in the country. For a more accurate comparison you'll have to do a lot of hard work with statistics you probably can't find easily, especially when you just want to dive into the shower. Solution: water the garden before/after the sun, close off the south side of your house, go to the pool (with a hat), have another lager (with ice), move to Alaska. Sarah Palin might have a spare room! Anyway, this, too, will pass! (and I hope that includes Sarah Palin!)

Another thought! Not to be an environmental "ducky lucky," but interesting how the weather events posted casually on this site do match up with the trend forecasts with "global warming."

On that note, I shall now repair to the frig for another.............

Not so bad for those in small apartments with aircon, easy to keep cool, but when you`re living in a large house like my family and I, it`s unbearable, even the aircon can`t cope.

The tap water is running scolding hot, fans just blowing hot air, ceramic tile floor burn the feet when walking and metal door handles too hot to touch.

Can the situation get any worse?

Crikey! I thought my house was hot!

Im in Saraphi, (5:00 pm, 42°C)

door handles inside are too hot to touch? phew!

something aint right with your house design!

I am curious - Do you have awnings to block direct sunlight hitting the walls outside? - pretty much every side of my house has those transparent awnings - extending the shade by about 4 or 5 foot.

If you have a garden - build a pond?... To be honest i didnt even notice the heat today - but I usually just wear a pair of shorts, wrap around sarong, or thai yoga pants... and nowt else!

Im quarter Scottish, so I am allowed to wear a skirt, the human balls have a wonderful heat exchange mechanism I reckon.

sarong.jpgrambutan.jpg

ahhh I love it when I am right: a quick google:

RELATION OF VASCULAR HEAT EXCHANGE TO TEMPERATURE REGULATION IN THE TESTIS OF THE RAM

G. M. H. WAITES and G. R. MOULE

Summary.: The blood flowing through the internal spermatic artery of the ram has been shown to cool by 5.2°C (range 4.5° to 5.8°C) between the aorta and the dorsal pole of the testis when testicular temperatures are 33.3° to 34.7°C. Most of the cooling occurs in the coiled portion of the artery in the spermatic cord where the venous blood returning from the testis through the pampiniform plexus warms by a similar amount. It is concluded that the vascular arrangement in the spermatic cord of the ram is a remarkably efficient heat-exchange system.

Edited by whiterussian

37c inside my brick built single storey house here in Mae Jo at 8:20pm. Tap water runs warm for a bit until what was heated in the pipes clears but to be honest, we don't have A/C out of choice and when it's really hot like now, we just turn on the ceiling fans and then stir them with a crossflow from floor fans and it's not too bad. Wish it would rain though......

Cheers,

Pikey.

Need to get the pool finished before next visit....

right lights......where to buy in Chiang Mai...pref LEDs...?...anyone

Make sure you give it plenty of shade! the 25m pool at Wang Tan

is uncomfortably warm at the moment, not at all refreshing!

David

Righty ho, we just got back from England this evening, so we won't be rushing around then.

One of our aircon units' pipes was eaten by something while we were away, but the other works fortunately.

Almost zero tourists on the plane and in immigration by the way.