Is Thailand Still Safe For Backpackers?

hi, everyone, hope you guys can help me with this :D

Basically me and a university friend went to Thailand last summer and had the most amazing time :D We went to Bangkok, Phuket then Chiang-Mi, and loved everything about the country - the food, the culture, the climate - in short it was the best 2 months travelling I've had in my life!

The friend I went with is busy this year, however I really want to go back and was planning to go with another friend (who hasn't been to Asia before) - however what I'm wondering is how serious is all the recent trouble in the news? Is Thailand still safe for backpackers/travellers?

The thing is its hard to know - initially I dismissed it as media hype, however the British Foreign Office now say on their website that they advise against "all non-essential travel to Thailand" in light of the problems there, which is a bit worrying :)

So my question is, how's Thailand changed in the 10 months or so since I was there? Is it just media hype and is everywhere still great, or are there areas to avoid (e.g. Bangkok?) I'm not just talking danger (though obviously that's the main thing!) has all the trouble actually affected the country, i.e. are there no tourists around these days etc? Will there still be lots of backpacker-types there in the summer?

Appreciate this loads, thanks again guys!

Edited by studenttraveller

I've never run into any problems, but I always stay out of the problem areas, and I never get drunk, either. It helps if you travel as a small group, or as a couple, and it deters the low-life creeps from looking at you as potential victim of a mugging. For the most part, the nature areas with beautiful scenery are pretty much free of all the turmoil. The popular bar scene areas (Nana, Soi Cowboy, Pattaya, Patpong, Patong) are a different story and you takes your chances... even though I've never been bothered.

There has been a lot of publicity regarding the political troubles

affecting Thailand at the moment.

Most of this has been hyped up way out of proportion by the Western

Media.

The Thai capital, Bangkok is 5 times larger than London (I think). The rioting

between the Red shirts and government forces has taken place within a

one square mile area, about 10 streets. Outside of Bangkok, except for

a few peaceful demonstrations outside a government building in Chiang

Mai, all is as normal and not affected.

For those of you that are considering visiting Thailand or know of

someone who is visiting, there is absolutely no cause for concern.

Caution should be taken if roaming and staying in and around Bangkok.

Take advice on areas that should be avoided, otherwise there is no

problem.

If you are still concerned, please read the article below that

explains how the political problems affects tourists:

What Does it Mean for Tourists?

Thailand’s political divide shows no sign of healing in the immediate

future with the yellow-shirted protesters having now been replaced by

the red-shirted protesters. The protests remain an internal political

issue and are not aimed at tourists. The country remains welcoming to

visitors and everyday life goes on as normal.

The overwhelming majority of tourists are unlikely to see any signs of

political strife other than what they may see on Thai television. With

a worldwide credit-crunch and a domestic economy reliant on exports

and tourism, Thailand can ill afford more airport closures. The

government know that and, hopefully, so do the protesters. Logic and

Thailand doesn’t always go hand-in-hand, but most local analysts are

ruling out the prospect of any more disruption to Thailand’s airports.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that there will be more protests in

one form or another by the red shirts against the newly formed

government. Recent protests by the red shirts have mainly been around

Government House in Bangkok with a few sporadic demonstrations in some

provincial areas including Chiang Mai.

Edit:

By thaizer • February 1, 2009

http://www.thaizer.com/politics/who-are-th...and-red-shirts/

Edited by Mario2008
llink to article added - mario2008

I think you posted in the wrong topic, bigwheelman. :)

Your post needs a SEPARATE topic all on its own.

I heard that by the time the OP finished reading my post, he missed his plane and won`t be visiting Thailand afterall.

Ok, Ok, you`re right, so I shortened my post.

Edited by BigWheelMan

if you have survived for 2 months the last year without any problems and situation hasn't changed dramatically since 2009, than you can plan your next holiday here.

however, nobody knows, how the situation will develop in the future, so just in case, do have an alternative, a back up plan. Still Bangkok can be your travel base in the region. In even the worst scenario, the planes will fly, to escape to malaysia or some other country

OP, what you wrote is incorrect. The travel advisory has been updated last week:

The overall level of the advice has changed; we no longer advise against all but essential travel to the whole country. We advise against all travel to specific parts of Thailand. We advise against all but essential travel to other specific parts of Thailand, including Bangkok.

Source: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living...ceania/thailand

Have fun. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Nothing has changed. It's just more expensive and harder to get travel insurance.

Non expensive is not quite true, hotel prices are going down in bangkok because of the political situation.

Most of thailand should be safe, not sure about Bangkok, we're still waiting for the end of the red protest.

Nothing has changed. It's just more expensive and harder to get travel insurance.

Non expensive is not quite true, hotel prices are going down in bangkok because of the political situation.

Most of thailand should be safe, not sure about Bangkok, we're still waiting for the end of the red protest.

It is true because the pound has weakened. Hotels may be cheaper, it is low season, but not by enough to mitigate it.

It is true because the pound has weakened. Hotels may be cheaper, it is low season, but not by enough to mitigate it.

The hotels are not more expensive, your money is cheaper.

I think you should stay at home in the first few days of July. Or at least stay away from Bangkok.

If you do go to Bangkok, I can PM you a list of bars I'd like you to stay away from.

Thanks very much

SC

I think for all non-backpackers when I say, "No, Thailand is not safe for backpackers. Please find another country to visit."

For everyone else its perfectly safe provided you avoid the protest areas.

:)

Interesting response from someone who seems unaware that package tourists and family holiday makers have cancelled their travel plans in droves while the backpackers still come and contribute to the economy.

A lot has changed. Don't come to bangkok with a yellow or a red shirt. Wear pink, better some gays are buying you a beer than a bullet in your mouth. Beer is healthier.

A lot has changed. Don't come to bangkok with a yellow or a red shirt. Wear pink, better some gays are buying you a beer than a bullet in your mouth. Beer is healthier.

You can come to Thailand and wear what ever color shirt you wish, and especially if you are a foreigner. No foreigner outside of any 'danger' zone has been hurt due to the 'chaos' going on.

still reasonable safe for foreigners, but who knows what the situation will be summer time.

Travel agencies will give money back or offer an alternative for holidays, but only a very few airlines will do the same.

Thai airways will be the most flexible, because they the national carrier and have as well many flights in the region. I have booked already my air fare and was reasurred by the travel agent, that thai air will be allowing free changes of dates or destinations.

Oh no.

I was planning on traveling to thailand mid July. Should I just avoid Thailand altogether? Is anyone on this forum in Bangkok now that can give me more detailed advice on whether I should go and where to specifically avoid?

Im going to travel all over SE Asia, first flying into bangkok. Should I fly in elsewhere? I really wanted to stay in bangkok for only 2 or 3 days anyway, and then head up north to Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai. How's the north looking?

Thank you for all your advice, whoever replies to this. I'm really undecided about what to do :|

I for one will certainly be giving Thailand a wide birth this year (first time in 15 years), its being reported now on Twitter that Dusit Thani Hotel in Sala Daeng is under attack. Then theres the report of the foriegner in KK being attacked. Think i will still go to Cambodia, not sure which route though, who knows what could happend at BKK. Sad situation indeed.

I was planning to book a flight to come to BKK next week, then travel by road/bus/car to Ratchaburi, and Pattaya. Is this area safe? Are there any travel restrictions? Your advice and recommendations are appreciated.

I was planning to book a flight to come to BKK next week, then travel by road/bus/car to Ratchaburi, and Pattaya. Is this area safe? Are there any travel restrictions? Your advice and recommendations are appreciated.

Who knows, im guessing Pattaya is safe right now but by next week the whole country could be in civil war. I would seriously be looking at changing my plans if i were you.

Im going to travel all over SE Asia, first flying into bangkok. Should I fly in elsewhere? I really wanted to stay in bangkok for only 2 or 3 days anyway, and then head up north to Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai. How's the north looking?

if you are going to travel the south east asia, than bangkok is the best base, because has many national and regional connections and air fare is reasonable. Whatever happens, airports will still be safe. You can always do bangkok as a transit from one destination to another.

north is fine, but it's the hotbed for the reds - in chiang mai and chiang rai there is a state of emergency, but not much happening.

I was planning to come next month or so, after the World Cup, escape the heat of Dubai but not feeling confident at the moment, can always get in and get out to the beach but I like hanging about in Bangkok for a few days (seriously!).

Thai friends being evacuated from offices in the 'city' and now she's working from home so will keep her eyes to the ground!