Cheapeat / Best Way From Pattaya - Samui

TomBrown

The overnight sleeper train from Bangkok is ok & cheap...

The train would involve transport to Bangkok railway Stn ie. bus to Ekamai skytrain to main Stn (don't know how to spell it).

At the other end transport is required to the ferry which may be included in the ticket.

TheOP may be able to book in Pattaya I don't know. I think in order to get a sleeper it would require booking in advance. In all 24 hours at least (travel time).

Better to fly, mini bus to Utopai, 3-4 hours door to door, See a travel Agent.

More expensive but a lot less hassle.

Best of Luck

Bob

Bus to Bkk then bus/train to Samui. If your thinking of going to Samui And want to do it cheap. May I sugest that you dont go. As everything on Samui is not far short of double what it is in Pattaya. Surely the most expensive place in Thailand.

The overnight sleeper train from Bangkok is ok & cheap...

That might be an option.

Is it individual compartments for sleeping with lock on door?

Is it from Hua Lamphong Railway Station to what station near Samui?

fly bkk surat thanni with air asia onward to samui bus ferry well organised, buy ticket in airport bus parked outside. Just have to find bargain air asia fare.

Edited by spacebass

The cheapest way is to get the bus to BKK then the combined bus / ferry to Samui. Both Lomprayah and Seatran offer this. It is around 1100-1200 baht from BKK. The fastest is to fly from Utapau to Samui. The cheaper / slightly longer route is as said the fly to Surat Thani route then bus / ferry to Samui

I'm thinking about bus to Bangkok, train + shuttle bus + ferry to Samui, as the price seems to be about ฿1,000 per person.

Probably the over night sleeper, but have a question. As I'll be going with my partner and toddler, will the compartments be lockable doors or just curtains on the sleeper?

There is a bus company that goes pattaya to Samui(by passes bangkok) to donsak where the ferry terminal is.The fare is 1200 baht,includes cost of ferry to nathon,the main port on Samui.From there you can catch a baht bus to get you to where you stay on samui for between 50-100 baht.Enquire at a travel agent in pattaya.Hope this may help.Travelling time thway is 12 hours excluding the ferry trip which is 90 minutes.

I'm thinking about bus to Bangkok, train + shuttle bus + ferry to Samui, as the price seems to be about ฿1,000 per person.

Probably the over night sleeper, but have a question. As I'll be going with my partner and toddler, will the compartments be lockable doors or just curtains on the sleeper?

First class has private compartments, second class; curtains. Look at a morning flight with Air Asia in the first instance, if too expensive consider the bus mentioned by SamuiBeachcomber(try to reserve VIP seats if you aren't Thai size) as you'll spend less time travelling than with the train option. You'll just have to make your way to the Sukhumvit road instead of getting yourselves to Bangkok. The cost is between 800 and 1100 baht, dependent of the type of seating you choose. I'll see if I can find the number.