Non Immigrant O (marriage) First Time 1 Year Extension

Looking to be prepared before going to apply for one year extension based on marriage to and supporting my Thai wife.

My details: US citizen 30 years old here on Non Immigrant O Visa obtained just over 2 months ago in Vientiane. Prior had two back to back tourist visa both obtained in US (3 back to back visa, 2 tourist - 1 non immigrant O).

Just wanted to see if the Thai visa article here is up to date (everything needed is listed and nothing additional is needed) and have some questions:

According to the list what's needed is:

• For supporting Thai wife
    1. Marriage Certificate- HAVE
    2. Child's birth certificate (if any) - N/A
    3. Wife’s house registration - HAVE
    4. Wife’s identity card- HAVE

First section is all set.

Second section in case of working. I have residual income from a Canadian company I lease a premium high traffic domain name to for $1920 US per month. 3 months ago when in Bangkok I got a letter certified at embassy stating my income, had it translated to Thai and registered at Ministry of Foreign affairs. Will this be sufficient for meeting qualifications? There is three years left on the lease (was 5 year lease). If its not renewed I should be able to sell it for $60,000+ three years from now and that's the low end. Of course my document from US embassy does not give details it just states the income amount (standard form).

First question is if the above is acceptable or not? If so is just the form from US embassy translated and certified sufficient?

Going through rest of list:

1. A copy of work permit or receiving work permit form ( WP.2 ) - N/A not working in Thailand.

2. The letter from the applicant’s company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 baht per month (identifier position and salary) or husband or wife working has Income including at least 40,000 baht/month - Same Question: Is my statement from US embassy translated and certified by ministry of foreign affairs sufficient for this.

3. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt - Do not have, Question #2 is this only for working in Thailand in which case would be n/a for me?

4. Recording interviewing the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife - Question 3: Not exactly sure what this is: anything I need to do here or is this something they do at immigration for us?

5. House’s map- Question #4 This might sound like a stupid question but what is a house map. Is this something I draw on paper showing where we live if so what do I include etc. Really not sure on this one but what are they looking for in a house map?

6. Other such as Registration Company - N/A i think (what others might they need?

7. Picture of house and family - HAVE.

Answers and any feedback so i can be better prepared is appreciated. I live in Udon Thani and will be applying for the one year extension at the Immigration office located in the Udon airport. Thanks in advanced.

One side question I'm less worried about: While at immigration anything else I should be requesting other than one year extension in order to use towards obtaining a Thai motorbike and drivers license (relatively soon down the road)?

The letter from your Embassy is enough to cover the work, do not worry.

A Map to and from your house so that an officer can go past and maybe ask some other people who live around the area

a few questions.

Do not forget the registration document from the Amphur where you got married. Kor Dor 3 I think it is.

They carry out an interview in the Immigration office, not on tape though, they just seperate the two of you and ask you both questions to prove the marriage is not a fake one.

A letter from Immigration confirming your address might be needed to purchase a bike, and get a drivers license as you do not have a yellow Tambien Baan book, or Work permit.

EDIT: Just remembered you will need Bank Books

Edited by beano2274

Letter from Embassy as proof of income.

Marriage Certificate. Kor Lor 2 Certificate. (Marriage register entry)

Wife I.D Card and Tabbien Baan.

Your passport

They may want to see your bank book.

Draw a rough map showing the way to your house.

Photos of you an Wife in and around the house.

Passport size photo.

Signed copies of everything

Take you Wife to be interviewed and sign affidavit.

You will get a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

As for the car/motorbike . You will need a proof of address letter. Some Immigration Offices do not issue this and you may need to get one from your Embassy.

To obtain a driving license from the Thai authorities you need,

Passport

Valid non Imm Visa

Doctor's certificate

Valid driving license

2 x photo's

Embassy letter confirming residency

Copies of the above.

The embassy letter can be replaced by a letter from your local town hall confirming the address where you live, depends on the vehilcle licence centre.

You may also have to take a practical driving test and a eyesight test, again depends on the centre.

The Visa may be easier from Kuala Lumpur (1 year multiple entry non imm o, lasts 15 months), only need 100kbht in Thai bank account.

Flight about 3kbht each way, or take the bus.

No home visit or stupid questions .......... they rounded my neighbours wives up and asked them if they ever heard me beating the wife.

(not sure if yes confirms proper marriage, as wife beating normal in LOS)

Edited by sarahsbloke

I keep a fully comprehensive list of what MAY be asked for. If you take all of the below (as I do!!), you will be OK. Just give them what they ask for (and no more!!)

APPLYING FOR EXYENSION BASED ON MARRIAGE

TM7 application form & photo

B1,900 fee

Passport

Arrival Card (TM6)

90 days slip

Signed copy of passport & TM6 & 90 days slip

Marriage certificate คร2 & คร3

Signed copy of marriage cert

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan

Wife’s ID card

Signed copy of Wife’s ID card

Wife’s passport

Signed copy of wife’s passport

Bank letter (dated day before applying is ok)

Savings book (showing B400K+ has been there for more than 3 months)

Signed copy of savings book

ATM receipt (get one on the day of applying)

Signed map of address

Photos of house/wedding

The Visa may be easier from Kuala Lumpur (1 year multiple entry non imm o, lasts 15 months), only need 100kbht in Thai bank account.

Flight about 3kbht each way, or take the bus.

No home visit or stupid questions .......... they rounded my neighbours wives up and asked them if they ever heard me beating the wife.

(not sure if yes confirms proper marriage, as wife beating normal in LOS)

They showed up at my house two times just to make sure that it was true what I told them. Even my neighbor, a Thai teacher had to come to the police station to type a very long report on an old type writer.....((edit))