New An Old Firmware Flash

joka

hello,

decided to be a wise guy and flash my router with a new OS, (from england), not realizing the implications and such. so now my router doesn't work. tech guy came over and said he couldn't do anything. this router is primarily used by tt$t. any help out there, or just buckle under and buy a new router? thanks,john

Oops!! That'll teach you, if it's not busted, don't fix it!! Having said that, been there and got the T-shirt (it cost me a new PC mainboard) :o

Can you still access the router via its configuration page, or is it totally dead?? Try flashing it again if possible.

It may be worth a trip to one of the repair places in Pantip, if they can't fix it you are in the right place to buy a new one :D

hello,

can accss the config page, except it's BT telecom this time. theres a page where you can reinstall old OS, but it didn't work. went to zeer rangsit(suburban version of panthip) and they couldn't do anyhitng. i didn't really like that router anyway.

thanks,,,,,,,john

Hi John,

What did you not like about your Xavi router??

I have one up and running and am perfectly happy with it (way better then the Zyxel/Billion stuff they mostly hand out)

Not sure you can get the correct firmware in again, although it might be usefull to know the D-Link dsl-500 uses the exactly same hardware! D-Link's website normally holds all firmware etc...

It's a bit strange the BT firmware doesn't work, there's probably thousands of customers hooked up through that router in the UK...

And I guess Crossy's correct, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :o

well, i called the number on the back of the router,(AVbell), and they directed me to a website (abell.com) that had the original firmware flash. the reason i re-flashed it was in hopes of better performance, i am pushing the boundaries now being nearly 10 km's from the exchange, and i always get a few hours of dead time in the afternoon. and i never connect at the advertised 512 kbs, its always 256 or 300 something, with an occassional 400 something. guess i should be happy with what i have, considering...............john

one thing i did too was set up a case fan to blow on the router, cause it does get pretty hot

Edited by joka

Joka,

I guess you're pretty lucky to get the modem to connect at all, every modem/router will struggle at those distances!

For full speed ADSL (8Mbps) the distance should not be more then 3.5 km. Since we connect at way lower speeds we get away with longer distances, but anything over 7 km and line attenuation will play havoc on the ADSL modems connecting at any speed :o

And this is with near perfect telephone lines, not always the way they are in Thailand :D

And yes, they do run hot! I don't have a fan on it, but I put it on a small block, so the air can get underneat easily...