Thai Emb. In Singapore Just Rejected My Tourist Visa

I just got back from the Thai Embassy in Singapore. They took one look at my full passport and stated that i had been coming in and out of Thailand using the tourist visa for too long (I have been living in thailand for 4 years now) All i will get now is the 30 day, and then have to find another way

So what are my best options?

a) Find a more flexible country to get the tourist visa? (I know most countries are more flexible, but still its a pain)

:) Get a new passport, then just continue?

c) Or seek out a better visa option like the 1 Year ED Visa.

I am 40, single and work independently, so the other visa options probably aren't for me. So what round should i choose. Living any other place then Thailand is not an option for me.

Also, watch out for Singapore.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You,

Randy

A visa is always at the descretion of the embassy/consulate.

Not surpised about Singapore, and you might have more luck in vientianne, where you even might get a double entry tourist visa.

If you have a friend in Thailand, you can get a multiple non-O at Perth, Australia with a copy of your friends ID-card and a simple note asking for a visa for you.

Not surpised about Singapore, and you might have more luck in vientianne, where you even might get a double entry tourist visa.

If you have a friend in Thailand, you can get a multiple non-O at Perth, Australia with a copy of your friends ID-card and a simple note asking for a visa for you.

When you publicize these types of illegal get arounds it makes it harder for the rest of us later on. Why doesn't OP simply follow the rules of Thailand instead of trying to scam? :)

When you publicize these types of illegal get arounds it makes it harder for the rest of us later on. Why doesn't OP simply follow the rules of Thailand instead of trying to scam? :)

There is nothing illegal about it.

I am 40, single and work independently, so the other visa options probably aren't for me. So what round should i choose.

Get a work permit and a non immigrant B visa.

I am in agreement, I think it is illegal, as you get a One Year visa for staying with a friend, does the person who gets the Visa actually stay with that person. The Thai person is responsible for the person receiving the Visa, in truth.

In reality the OP is working, therefore he should have a Non Immigrant B visa and WP, as you all keep informing others.

I am 40, single and work independently, so the other visa options probably aren't for me. So what round should i choose.

Get a work permit and a non immigrant B visa.

My work has nothing to do with Thailand, and has to do with computers & software, based back home in America. Work Permit won't be an option for me.

Thanks anyway

My work has nothing to do with Thailand, and has to do with computers & software, based back home in America. Work Permit won't be an option for me.

Thanks anyway

If you are working in Thailand you need a Work Permit and cannot work with a Tourist Visa.

You may well have been working illegally.

I will only be wearing that if they put it on me after i am dead.. No Chance!

Since i sold my business, i have just been developing software, so i am not earning anything. So i am not working here.. not earning here..

I realized the 'Tourist Visa' has outstayed its welcome, but really, only Singapore seems to have issues with it. Phuket Immigration has seen my passport 50 times, and never had an issue with the growing # of Tourist Visas.

Its not that i want the tourist visa, i just dont think Thailand provides better options at this point.

After a bit more of research it appears that the ED Visa would work well for me.

Any thoughts?

Since i sold my business, i have just been developing software, so i am not earning anything. So i am not working here.. not earning here..

I realized the 'Tourist Visa' has outstayed its welcome, but really, only Singapore seems to have issues with it. Phuket Immigration has seen my passport 50 times, and never had an issue with the growing # of Tourist Visas.

Its not that i want the tourist visa, i just dont think Thailand provides better options at this point.

After a bit more of research it appears that the ED Visa would work well for me.

Any thoughts?

ED Visa through a school learning Thai is not cheap, cost of the course and getting the initial Visa ammounts to approx 35,000...thats £750 or $1,150 just to stay here a year.

^ Why study? There's probably lot's of 'information architects' already using that avenue so they can dodge paying taxes stay in paradise with their tilak. There's no formal language skill test when they file for extensions so as long as they can order khao pat alai godai and a chang lek, yen-yen, and say sawatdee and never kawp jai to the Immigration Officer, they should be OK.

Edited by NanLaew

If you get an ED visa, are you going to actually study?

Yes, actually I will. My Thai is pretty good now, and i am usually speaking with my friends in Thai, not English, on a daily basis. But, without a formal education, it is not nearly where i would like to to be.

Also i would love to learn to read and write it. So this is probably just the push i needed to get the formal education.

Today i have been researching it, and it seems pretty straight forward.

Its just that with only 30 day visa, i will have to decide quickly.

OP

Edited by RandyA

Not a scam just a regular way to get a 1 year visa. PERTH & HULL England are great places to get these easy visas if the applicant is under 40 and not married (not working too).

Any thoughts?

Randy

just take the cash you'd spend on the ed thing and take a trip to PERTH or HULL as those consulates dont seem to have a problem giving out 1 year visas for visiting friends. Or you can do as they said b4, just go to Vientiane and get the double entry tourist visa as they dont have a problem handing those out. I lived from 1999-2010 on Laos tourist visas and never had a problem ever. My passport had 96 pages of stamps and visas till I got my new one in '09. NEVER had a problem so dont listen to the naysayers. based on my experience, you will be more than fine. The only thing I cant comment on is those 1 year visas as I lived only on tourist visas and stamps for 11 years. But I have read in this forum over and over that one year visas from PERTH and HULL are a cake walk, I just never took the trip. I then did the unthinkable and married a Thai so my visa problems are over. However I will never forget the hard times and all the BS holier than though comments from forum members just because they secured a visa. I will always sympathize with those under 50 and unmarried and not working; and I will always be happy to give them the best advice I know. I always despise the holier than though comments that reek out of this forum for persons who dont fit a visa category. I wish they would clam up and let helpful information flow rather than clog up bandwidth with useless comments. carry on

Edited by My Friend Same

Not a scam just a regular way to get a 1 year visa. PERTH & HULL England are great places to get these easy visas if the applicant is under 40 and not married (not working too).

He said he was a US citizen. Hull will give out non-imm O visa's so readily to Non-Australian?? That like a Aussie going to LA consulate n USA and asking for a visa. Does not sound right to me.

He said he was a US citizen. Hull will give out non-imm O visa's so readily to Non-Australian?? That like a Aussie going to LA consulate n USA and asking for a visa. Does not sound right to me.

Sorry i meant England

Both CMU and Whalen - among others, I think - offer one year ed visas related to learning the language - see them online. You'll have to discover when/if they teach reading and writing - or call or visit.

Last I knew (there is a thread on this) both offered courses that met but twice a week. CMU's was evenings or weekends when I inquired. They cost too much - mostly taking money for a year's ed.visa - but the price was not so expensive as has been suggested when I inquired last year.

Frankly, I think that above posts offer best alternatives, but add this in case you suffer from great motion sickness. If that's the case, Google. (Gather you are?)

Edited by CMX

There have been reports here in this forum of non Brits getting 1 year visas from Hull, yes. someone with time on their hands could do a Hull 1 year Non O search and come up with such posts. I've seen them on more than 1 occasion

Edited by My Friend Same

There have been reports here in this forum of non Brits getting 1 year visas from Hull, yes. someone with time on their hands could do a Hull 1 year Non O search and come up with such posts. I've seen them on more than 1 occasion

I have gotten double entry Toursist from India (Dehi) and Melbourne without even as much as a sweat (even a Non- O in Melbourne).. The only reason i even bothered with Singapore was because i have a friend here, otherwise, i think anywhere else is fine for the Tourist.

The ED Visa prices seem very consistent between 25,000 - 28,000 for a full year of classes. I might just pay for 3 months of classes in case i want to switch schools. Seems like a good way to go since i am looking to better my Thai skills.

Just a frustrating experience.. and a warning, not really about multiple Toursist Visas.. but more about Singapore specifically. I think they are just plain tired of seeing guys like me.

I think "My Friend Same" has the right attitude. Why not help a guy out OR at least just ignore his plea? unless of course you really think he is doing something illegal and then want to warn him. As to that, Thai immigration law seems to be somewhat vague and definitely selectively enforced. it is not easy to avoid "breaking" a law if no one knows exactly what the law is. Some nations like it that way: if they don't like you, you broke the law; if they like you, you didn’t break the law. One bureaucrat(or consulate) thinks the law is X and another thinks the law is Y; who is to say which is “wrong”? The French wrote the Napoleonic code to try to avoid this. As far as working: what if I am on vacation to Thailand for 2 weeks and reply to my work e-mails from my hotel, is that illegal? If it is Ok then what about a month or 6 months? Where is the line? I bet the real answer is no one knows.

Not suggesting anyone break any laws but no reason not to live your life to the fullest within the law.

Consulates are expected to know visa requirements - immigration is expected to know entry and stay requirements - labor department is expected to know work requirements. Be sure you are asking the questions to the right office.

I am in agreement, I think it is illegal, as you get a One Year visa for staying with a friend, does the person who gets the Visa actually stay with that person. The Thai person is responsible for the person receiving the Visa, in truth.

In reality the OP is working, therefore he should have a Non Immigrant B visa and WP, as you all keep informing others.

There is nothing on the application form that says "You must stay with your friend/relatives for one year" - where did you get this info from?? :)

There is nothing illegal about getting a 1 year Non-O Visa with multiple entry on the basis of visiting friends/relatives.

Although the "O" visa is for "other reasons" visiting friends and (non Thai) relatives was removed from the list of officially acceptable reasons for issue of said visa about a decade ago by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from my understanding.

Randy

just take the cash you'd spend on the ed thing and take a trip to PERTH or HULL as those consulates dont seem to have a problem giving out 1 year visas for visiting friends. Or you can do as they said b4, just go to Vientiane and get the double entry tourist visa as they dont have a problem handing those out. I lived from 1999-2010 on Laos tourist visas and never had a problem ever. My passport had 96 pages of stamps and visas till I got my new one in '09. NEVER had a problem so dont listen to the naysayers. based on my experience, you will be more than fine. The only thing I cant comment on is those 1 year visas as I lived only on tourist visas and stamps for 11 years. But I have read in this forum over and over that one year visas from PERTH and HULL are a cake walk, I just never took the trip. I then did the unthinkable and married a Thai so my visa problems are over. However I will never forget the hard times and all the BS holier than though comments from forum members just because they secured a visa. I will always sympathize with those under 50 and unmarried and not working; and I will always be happy to give them the best advice I know. I always despise the holier than though comments that reek out of this forum for persons who dont fit a visa category. I wish they would clam up and let helpful information flow rather than clog up bandwidth with useless comments. carry on

I understand you're trying to be helpful and supportive, but in the process you're just muddying the water. If anyone took what you just wrote seriously they would think that there could be no problems at all getting back-to-back tourist visas forever.

This is simply not true. There have been hundreds of reports of people (including myself) who have been refused tourist visas for one reason or another.

Marrying a Thai is not the perfect solution either. You still have to show sufficient income to get your visa.

You do not have to show income to obtain a visa based on having a Thai wife. Only extensions of stay require more than normal visa financial requirements.

If you want a multi entry visa rather than obtaining an extension of stay at some Consulates proof of some funds may be required. In KL it is 100k in a bank account.