Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

Hey McG - you're really selling this good ole 'soccer' game now the USA are doing well.

Rumour has it, if the USA don't win it this time they're going to start their own World Cup, but only American teams can participate. :rolleyes:

Naw...I've always been fanatical about only one sport- MotoGP.

But every 4 years, I admit I do get a bit revved up for WC.

Doesn't have a bit to do with how the US is doing this year.

I like to root for the underdog.

I like to see little teams, from some tiny little country, that hardly anyone has ever heard of, take down the Big Dogs.

And this year has been absolutely brilliant on that score.....

:lol:

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the pre game warm ups. All the advertising that went on by sponsors and non sponsors. All the trash talk .All the bragging of spending 150,000 baht for HD. English commentary vs Swahili. Whats happen. Where are you? Did England losing like they did in 2006 take it out of you::lol:

Edited by gotlost

With all the pre game warm ups. All the advertising that went on by sponsors and non sponsors. All the trash talk .All the bragging of spending 150,000 baht for HD. English commentary vs Swahili. Whats happen. Where are you? Did England losing like they did in 2006 take it out of you::lol:

England didn't lose, they just rolled over and died.....despite the master stroke of replacing Defoe with Heskey. :blink:

With England, USA and Australia gone, so are many of the bar punters.

England didn't lose, they just rolled over and died.....despite the master stroke of replacing Defoe with Heskey. :blink:

Like I said instant replay of 2006 and that's one replay the FIFA can not stop::lol: :.

Edited by gotlost

That's very true Uptheos!!

At least Andy Murray is still in Wimbledon - well you have to look somewhere for crumbs of comfort!!

Pimms spritzer at The Olde Bell anyone?

At least Andy Murray is still in Wimbledon - well you have to look somewhere for crumbs of comfort!!

You have to be careful suggesting drinks to customers. Are you offering to pay, or just making a suggestion?

I knew a German beergarden  owner who made a point of asking his customers if they would like a schnapps with their beer. I fell for that one , and as I later discovered many others had too. I don't like schnapps at all, and I would normally have refused his kind offer, but out of politeness, I said yes. He ordered two, (one for the wife as well)  and explained about knocking it back in one go. I drank it to be polite, and so did my wife, who promptly ran to the toilet to spit it out. Surprise, surprise, two schnapps turned up on the bill. Well, he didn't say he was paying did he? It did come across as being an offer from a generous bar-owner, though.  I continued to go to his bar (there weren't many in those days) but steered clear of any future offers. I quite liked the way he did it, so I couldn't take offense.  :lol:   

I get a feeling he was doing so well so far because, unlike any other time in recent years, there was zero media pressure on him. Everyone focused on the England team.

Love Murray's style of playing, and I hope he'll go far even though I am not British. Even when he's losing, he's still fighting.... unlike the England team... sorry couldn't help it :cheesy:

I really like this young German team - all attack and not too much defense makes for good watching. Don't see how they can prevail against Argentina though so I think that will be the end of it. Then again, it's football and everything is possible.

I get a feeling he was doing so well so far because, unlike any other time in recent years, there was zero media pressure on him. Everyone focused on the England team.

Love Murray's style of playing, and I hope he'll go far even though I am not British. Even when he's losing, he's still fighting.... unlike the England team... sorry couldn't help it :cheesy:

I really like this young German team - all attack and not too much defense makes for good watching. Don't see how they can prevail against Argentina though so I think that will be the end of it. Then again, it's football and everything is possible.

thought Andy is a Scot? :whistling:

who knows what could happen during the rest of the WC, as long as the refs dont miss any goals & blatant offsides, and players stop the fake injuries :bah:

who knows what could happen during the rest of the WC, as long as the refs dont miss any goals & blatant offsides, and players stop the fake injuries :bah:

He is a Scot

thought Andy is a Scot? :whistling:

who knows what could happen during the rest of the WC, as long as the refs dont miss any goals & blatant offsides, and players stop the fake injuries :bah:

He is a Scot

Almost right. If he wins he is British, if he loses he is Scottish.

At the moment, he is still British.

He is a Scot

Almost right. If he wins he is British, if he loses he is Scottish.

At the moment, he is still British.

good positive attitude :D

You have to be careful suggesting drinks to customers. Are you offering to pay, or just making a suggestion?

I knew a German beergarden owner who made a point of asking his customers if they would like a schnapps with their beer. I fell for that one , and as I later discovered many others had too. I don't like schnapps at all, and I would normally have refused his kind offer, but out of politeness, I said yes. He ordered two, (one for the wife as well) and explained about knocking it back in one go. I drank it to be polite, and so did my wife, who promptly ran to the toilet to spit it out. Surprise, surprise, two schnapps turned up on the bill. Well, he didn't say he was paying did he? It did come across as being an offer from a generous bar-owner, though. I continued to go to his bar (there weren't many in those days) but steered clear of any future offers. I quite liked the way he did it, so I couldn't take offense. :lol:

It was just a bit of levity really! I read on some website or other that the young hooray henry's (and Henriettas one supposes) are guzzling Pimm's Spritzers like they're going out of fashion! - used to be Pimms and Lemonade with a slice of cucumber. I've only got about a 1/4 of a bottle of Pimms left and I don't know if any suppliers have still got any, so I'm not giving it away -tell you what- I'll go halves with anyone that fancies one: You buy a glass of wine and I'll do the Pimms and the Spirite! Can't say fairer than that Guvner!!

I'm assuming that you are referring to me? not sure as I'm Danish and the England comment sort of threw me...

I do have a TV as you stated with English commentary (when the Internet works), anyway I was told in no uncertain terms by a mod that if I posted anything like advertisement I would be banned from the forum, so hence no comments, and by the way the TV was bought for my house before new years and is only in the bar for the WC, looks good though

Who is GOTLOST anyway? Seems a bit of a s**t stirrer to me!

Seems to have a very high opinion of his own opinion!

4500 posts of nothing to say worth reading!

Edited by DavidOxon

With all the pre game warm ups. All the advertising that went on  by sponsors and non sponsors. All the trash talk .All the bragging of spending 150,000 baht for HD. English commentary vs Swahili. Whats happen. Where are you? Did England  losing like they did in 2006 take it out of you::lol:

I'm assuming that you are referring to me? not sure as I'm Danish and the England comment sort of threw me...

I do have a TV as you stated with English commentary (when the Internet works), anyway I was told in no uncertain terms by a mod that if I posted anything like advertisement I would be banned from the forum, so hence no comments, and by the way the TV was bought for my house before new years and is only in the bar for the WC, looks good though.

If he mistook you for being English, at least it's a compliment as regards to your language skills, if nothing else.

Your huge TV is excellent. Is it Plasma 50 inch? I was thinking of getting one and yours seemed particularly good.

By the way, as I understand it, if you write about your own bar, it's advertising. If someone else writes about your bar it's not (unless they're a Newbie, of course). Plenty of places get regular write-ups and even whole topics written about them, but so long as they are genuine customer reviews, it's generally okay. There are some exceptions, though.

I do have a TV as you stated with English commentary (when the Internet works), anyway I was told in no uncertain terms by a mod that if I posted anything like advertisement I would be banned from the forum, so hence no comments, and by the way the TV was bought for my house before new years and is only in the bar for the WC, looks good though.

If he mistook you for being English, at least it's a compliment as regards to your language skills, if nothing else.

Your huge TV is excellent. Is it Plasma 50 inch? I was thinking of getting one and yours seemed particularly good.

By the way, as I understand it, if you write about your own bar, it's advertising. If someone else writes about your bar it's not (unless they're a Newbie, of course). Plenty of places get regular write-ups and even whole topics written about them, but so long as they are genuine customer reviews, it's generally okay. There are some exceptions, though.

I don't think he was referrring to you Anders. I think it was directed at all of us!! and yes GotLost, the hype has certainly disappeared. Mind you I wasn't one who spent a lot of money: 500 baht for a new phone cable to get a better commentary and that was it. No HD TV and a Free licence from our friends at Coke. We'll show Holland v Brazil and Germany v Argentina on our 3 perfectly adequate 29 inch TV's but after that it depends on what my regulars want as the games kick of at 1.30am. On Friday and Saturday I'll direct customers to Anders Dragonfly Bar, The Half Moon as the owner's dad is a friend of mine. or the UN Irish for the late games.

It's Wimbledon all the way now, with Andy Murray in action. and the finals weekend coming up. Don't think I'll be on the Pimms Spritzers Nadtatida! I prefer a bottle of Singha, but some of my lady punters prefer something a bit more exotic!

Still plenty of the World Cup to enjoy.

Both the early games this weekend promise to be excellent matches - does it really get better than Holland v Brazil and Argentina v Germany? Uruguay v Ghana should also be a fine attacking game. Spain should roll over Paraguay but in this WC you just don't know. So quite a quarter final line up.

We shall be cheering for the boys in orange - hup Holland hup :)

Gee guys I'm glade to see your still alive and awake, not sober but awake.:lol: It had looked liked you had all disappeared like the tourist and punters. :o You still have a few more days to enjoy the World Cup. Make your fortune now because it goes to hel-l afterwards.:whistling:

Thanks for the compliment.

It's actually 55" LED which is what makes it stand out, and since I had it and the HD box at home plus all the cables needed, all I needed was to borrow the second laptop for the audio delay.

So no extra spending on the WC for me either, but I am satisfied and a bit surprised with the turnout and response. Much better than anticipated

Gee guys I'm glade to see your still alive and awake, not sober but awake.:lol: It had looked liked you had all disappeared like the tourist and punters. :o You still have a few more days to enjoy the World Cup. Make your fortune now because it goes to hel-l afterwards.:whistling:

You must have a very tedious little life to sit there at your computer all day denigrading peoples attmepts to run their busnesses in difficult times. Your comments are nothing short of schadenfruede. And it doesn't 'go to hel_l' afterward the World Cup. that was only ever going to be a bit of a bonus. . June is always like this. anyway I was over 10% up on last year (admittedly accounted for by collecting money for the government in increased duty sales) and Dragonfly bar is obviously up and so are several other bars that I know of. Why do you feel the need to have a pop at everyone eho tries to achieve something in Chiang Mai?

You must have a very tedious little life to sit there at your computer all day denigrading peoples attmepts to run their busnesses in difficult times. Your comments are nothing short of schadenfruede. And it doesn't 'go to hel_l' afterward the World Cup. that was only ever going to be a bit of a bonus. . June is always like this. anyway I was over 10% up on last year (admittedly accounted for by collecting money for the government in increased duty sales) and Dragonfly bar is obviously up and so are several other bars that I know of. Why do you feel the need to have a pop at everyone eho tries to achieve something in Chiang Mai?

It got this thread going again which helps generate revenue. Glade to hear that your doing good so keep the posting of coming events.:D

It got this thread going again which helps generate revenue. Glade to hear that your doing good so keep the posting of coming events.:D

....and that was the most constructive way in which you felt you could achieve that?

I really like this young German team - all attack and not too much defense makes for good watching. Don't see how they can prevail against Argentina though so I think that will be the end of it. . . . .

:D

I really like this young German team - all attack and not too much defense makes for good watching. Don't see how they can prevail against Argentina though so I think that will be the end of it. . . . .

:D

I was sooooo wrong. I love it!!! I was jumping up and down in front of the TV... :D :D :D

post-20814-047661300 1278209286_thumb.jp

BTW... this was the first time Germany played proper defense in this tournament. An ominous sign for the others...