Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

Tuskers is showing the England game on the big screen with English commentary tonight. The USA game will be on the smaller screen in the bar without commentary and on the upstairs plasma with Thai commentary. Fans of both teams plus Algerians and Slovenians welcome. Should be a lively but tense evening. :)

Hi,

Will anybody be broadcasting the USA game on their main screen? Thanks...

reckon you've about as much chance as a slovenian person looking for the match with slovenian commentary.

there has been a good crowd of american fans in tuskers for the first two group games so watching it on a decent plasma screen with them could be a laugh.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuskers is showing the England game on the big screen with English commentary tonight. The USA game will be on the smaller screen in the bar without commentary and on the upstairs plasma with Thai commentary. Fans of both teams plus Algerians and Slovenians welcome. Should be a lively but tense evening. :)

Hi,

Will anybody be broadcasting the USA game on their main screen? Thanks...

reckon you've about as much chance as a slovenian person looking for the match with slovenian commentary.

there has been a good crowd of american fans in tuskers for the first two group games so watching it on a decent plasma screen with them could be a laugh.

so commentary in american then? :D

England Vs Slovenia channel 111, which I believe is TRUE HD

USA Vs Algeria channel 112, which I think is HBO HD.... Or at least this is what TRUE told me when I called them yesterday.

Matches on Thai TV as normal; not sure which channels though.

Good luck everyone... I've a feeling some of us need it more than others.

England Vs Slovenia channel 111, which I believe is TRUE HD

USA Vs Algeria channel 112, which I think is HBO HD.... Or at least this is what TRUE told me when I called them yesterday.

Matches on Thai TV as normal; not sure which channels though.

Good luck everyone... I've a feeling some of us need it more than others.

For once True Vision may be using their brains. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I don't really care about the commentary as I never listen to it. (Not sure if it's a girl thing, or if I'm just weird?) The way I figure, I've been playing the game my whole life, so I understand what's going on already. Just because the Farangutans won't let me play on their team, doesn't mean I don't know the rules ;P

I'll be at UN Irish Pub tonight with my friends who are watching the England game, if any yankees want to join me. (PS - They have Blackthorn cider in the can! Wahoo!)

We'll be showing both games at The OldeBell: 2 screens for England v Slovenia, 1 for USA v Algeria. We'll have English Commentary on the England game without using radio delay - but with a FREE BBQ from 7.30pm onwards: Tow or three botles of Soda being sufficient to claim you are a customer!! (3 Large bottles of Cheers for 195 baht is the best deal., beer wise). All Welcome!

After the resounding win by England it's a bit of a surprise to learn that they ended up second in their group thanks to a late, late goal by US of A, which put them top on goals scored. The consolation for England fans (and bar-owners) is that England now play at 9pm on Sunday, although they will have to play against the winners of group D (Germany?, Ghana?).

Bring 'em on!!

Great result, second in the group, thus ensuring a 9pm kick off on Sunday as Eric Sykes says!

Great result for The Olde Bell too! Standing room only! One in the eye for the knockers and detractors!!

Free BBQ again on Sunday!!

Disappointed that UN Irish bar didn't have any English commentary, perhaps they thought that the bar was busy so no need which is not really playing the game.

Alfie will be available to make a guest appearence at a new bar for the Germany game (no fee just free food and drink all night ) so if any bar owners are interested they can Pm him.

Disappointed that UN Irish bar didn't have any English commentary, perhaps they thought that the bar was busy so no need which is not really playing the game.

Alfie will be available to make a guest appearence at a new bar for the Germany game (no fee just free food and drink all night ) so if any bar owners are interested they can Pm him.

Should be a good evening now Alfie, Chiang Mai first until 8pm then find a bar for the England game at 9pm. Happy Days :D

No free beer on sunday Alfie, but free food - and Cheers Beer at 3 for 195 baht aint bad! We had English Commentary last night and plan on having it on Sunday, Can never be sure if the technology will hold up of course!

If you decide to enter the Lions Den though, get here early, we were heaving last night! Great atmosphere!

After the resounding win by England it's a bit of a surprise to learn that they ended up second in their group thanks to a late, late goal by US of A, which put them top on goals scored. The consolation for England fans (and bar-owners) is that England now play at 9pm on Sunday, although they will have to play against the winners of group D (Germany?, Ghana?).

Bring 'em on!!

resounding??!! 1-0 -- whats in that cigar

Good luck with germany -- avoid the PK

Edited by ChiangMaiIB

No free beer on sunday Alfie, but free food - and Cheers Beer at 3 for 195 baht aint bad! We had English Commentary last night and plan on having it on Sunday, Can never be sure if the technology will hold up of course!

If you decide to enter the Lions Den though, get here early, we were heaving last night! Great atmosphere!

we went to the lion's den last night , the red lion. a full house and a great night -big screen, hd tv and in sync english commentary. nice one.

sunday will be a football feast this week. meeting there at 4  fior the get together before chiang mai - sukhotai game (we cheer for chiang mai) , then back there for the big match (come on england).

I think they tried with the commentary, but gave up the ghost due to the amount of people in there - it was absolutely jam packed.

However, for this one time - even without commentary and with the USA fans crammed in downstairs too - it was a great atmosphere!

I think they tried with the commentary, but gave up the ghost due to the amount of people in there - it was absolutely jam packed.

However, for this one time - even without commentary and with the USA fans crammed in downstairs too - it was a great atmosphere!

Youv'e lost me there Uptheos, why would they give up due to the amount of people in there ?, i would have thought that was irrelevant or are you implying i was right in the first place.

Youv'e lost me there Uptheos, why would they give up due to the amount of people in there ?, i would have thought that was irrelevant or are you implying i was right in the first place.

No problem - I usually lose myself too. I was standing quite a way back near the stairs and there was something initially coming through their computer, but I couldn't make out what it was.

I agree with you that just because a bar is jam packed busy, that shouldn't be a reason to discontinue the commentary.

I don't know what happened, maybe they had a problem - ask Sandy.

Like you I will find a place with commentary (that I can hear) for the Germany game.

No problem - I usually lose myself too. I was standing quite a way back near the stairs and there was something initially coming through their computer, but I couldn't make out what it was.

I agree with you that just because a bar is jam packed busy, that shouldn't be a reason to discontinue the commentary.

I don't know what happened, maybe they had a problem - ask Sandy.

Like you I will find a place with commentary (that I can hear) for the Germany game.

I was standing near the stairs as well, perhaps we were standing next to each other :o

Perhaps it was because they were using the BBC radio commentary over the internet and the sheer volume of users who were trying to access it at the same time meant it wasn't a reliable feed. I don't think anyone would turn off commentary because their bar is full. Quite the opposite I would have thought.

So the bars that are showing the World Cup with English Commentary are;

Tuskers

UN Irish

Any others?

Also AndersSN looks like you have it but I don't know your bar could you post it here or pm me please?

Tonight

England v Slovenia & USA v Algeria are both on at 1600 SAST or 9pm Thai Time.

What bars will be showing the England match tonight with English commentary?

Anyone got any reports from Chiang Mai Saloons? Have they got English commentary?

Thanks

Have not managed to get English Commentary, as still had time lapse issues.

BUT, with showing both games at the same time on 2 tvs, commentary becomes secondary going on my experience

as most people for the last two nights were "ollering an cheering" for there own teams, awsome occasion and great fun to be involved with.

Roll on the weekend, World Cup,Wimbledon,MotoGp,F1

Cheers

Richard

I can highly recommend all the places mentioned above- UN Irish, Tuskers, Old Bell and others.

I've enjoyed watching a few games at Dragonfly on Loi Kroh. Brand new big 56" HD screen, English commentary, and seems to be open later than some of the others, for the 1:30 AM games.

Just watch out for the tiny little bar stools that the girls inadvertently leave in the entry....fell flat on my face leaving the other night.

Wasn't the first time, and won't be the last.....:P

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Excellent post and advice. For those of us with just one computer, here is the answer....

Light travels faster than sound, so to create the necessary time lag, purely site the computer 1 to 2 rooms or what ever distance necessary away from the screen you will be watching the match. Use the above advice to attach it to a stereo, then just adjust the volume to a level that you can hear it.

if i remember it right from the days of yore ,sound travels about 1km in 3 seconds or 6/10 of a mile ,you'll need big speakers and a friend to host them for you.....

Dragonfly is good apart from them letting people smoke whilst surrounded by No Smoking signs!

Yeah, this puts off some people, but I guess it pulls in other punters - a difficult choice for bar owners.

Personally, I wouldn't watch it in a small bar surrounded by smokers

I did notice Sandy at Irish Pub, frequently telling people to smoke outside - good to see (from my point of view)

Alfie Conn.....I had a sneaking suspicion that was you. :rolleyes:

I can highly recommend all the places mentioned above- UN Irish, Tuskers, Old Bell and others.

I've enjoyed watching a few games at Dragonfly on Loi Kroh. Brand new big 56" HD screen, English commentary, and seems to be open later than some of the others, for the 1:30 AM games.

Just watch out for the tiny little bar stools that the girls inadvertently leave in the entry....fell flat on my face leaving the other night.

Wasn't the first time, and won't be the last.....:P

Hey McG - you're really selling this good ole 'soccer' game now the USA are doing well.

Rumour has it, if the USA don't win it this time they're going to start their own World Cup, but only American teams can participate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this puts off some people, but I guess it pulls in other punters - a difficult choice for bar owners.

Personally, I wouldn't watch it in a small bar surrounded by smokers

I did notice Sandy at Irish Pub, frequently telling people to smoke outside - good to see (from my point of view)

Chain-smoking Sandy? Where was his cigarette when he was telling them, behind his back? :D