Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

It's all about money. UBC, RS, FIFA; up the fan. Just wait tell the BIB star collecting that 10k Baht per TV set at restaurants and bars that showing the match on Thai TV. They have already started collecting for RS in other areas. Oh and btw why do you thank that they are cutting off cable suppliers? Because most of what the cable companies offer is PIRATED. :)

Just watching the thai commentators on channel 3 they said it would not affect cable companies (also spoke to the guy downstairs who said WETV was fine). Just the big satellite dish people like PSI etc. Wish i could understand Thai more to get a proper explanation!

Wouldn't understand why they would cut it from cable its free anyway on those channels. Made no sense to me to unplug my WETV cable, and plug back in the old ariel to watch the same thing i wouldn't pay for anyway!

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read a report yesterday that said FIFA is concerned that North Korea is showing pirated World Cup transmissions on the state TV channel. It was suspected that they had been obtained from a South East Asia satellite broadcast. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I did read a report yesterday that said FIFA is concerned that North Korea is showing pirated World Cup transmissions on the state TV channel. It was suspected that they had been obtained from a South East Asia satellite broadcast. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Now North Korea wouldn't do a thing like that would they?? :):D

Now North Korea wouldn't do a thing like that would they?? :):D

North Korea will be showing the games altered to show them winning, they have beaten Brazil tonight 3-1, no point watching it live now is there :D

Malaysia and even Myammar has commentary in English so why are FIFA not worried about being pirated from these countries :).

Now North Korea wouldn't do a thing like that would they?? :D :D

North Korea will be showing the games altered to show them winning, they have beaten Brazil tonight 3-1, no point watching it live now is there :D

They'll try and torpedo the match. :)

In case anyone wants to try this out, this is how I did it.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month private network . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to Radio Five using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi.

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video.

If your not clear , PM me.

True Hd is about 2 seconds delayed from the Thai tv, so will try this later.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Richard

I was out in the bar last night and my mate told me it was cut on Thai TV during one of the earlier games! Think also someone has got the hump that maybe Cambodia and Vietnam are stealing the signal!

To me it's pathetic, RS and FIFA seem to be doing their best to ruin the world cup for normal fans!

Now North Korea wouldn't do a thing like that would they?? :D :D

They'll try and torpedo the match. :)

but no doubt the Nth Koreans will get a Brazilian waxing laugh.gif

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month   private network  . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to  Radio Five  using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones  socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi. 

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video. 

Thanks again mate, I downloaded a different radio delay but it worked the same, 3.1 second delay on five live commentry is perfect :)

I understand from reports that were coming out of North Korea before the tournament that (a) they wouldn't let ANY foreign reporters talk to their World Cup squad or manager, and (:) they were not going to show the tournament at all, only highlights of DPRK games, and that only IF they won.

What a miserable sh*thole; having been to South Korea for the 2002 World Cup and had a fantastic time,I have only contempt for those f**king commies that have made your average North Korean's life so utterly hard and miserable. That's probably why they are so keen to ensure that their people have no idea what they are missing out on. Now that place REALLY needs some red shirts - but Thai style ones!

Edited by Chicog

I understand from reports that were coming out of North Korea before the tournament that (a) they wouldn't let ANY foreign reporters talk to their World Cup squad or manager, and (:) they were not going to show the tournament at all, only highlights of DPRK games, and that only IF they won.

What a miserable sh*thole; having been to South Korea for the 2002 World Cup and had a fantastic time,I have only contempt for those f**king commies that have made your average North Korean's life so utterly hard and miserable. That's probably why they are so keen to ensure that their people have no idea what they are missing out on. Now that place REALLY needs some red shirts - but Thai style ones!

Come on Chicog, don't beat about the bush - tell us what you really think!!

that's not correct: North Korea set their World Cup target: happiness for the Dear Leader | Marina Hyde | Football | The Guardian

Come on Chicog, don't beat about the bush - tell us what you really think!!

laugh.gif

btw Im happy with 1-1 wink.gif

Edited by Donnyboy

I just want to say that Astro Supersport shows World Cup with english commentary. Don't know if Astro Supersport is available in CM as it Malaysia based TV. Have no idea if possible to get satelite signal as far north as CM but available in BKK. GL finding english commentary folks.

I only know one person who has been able to watch the world cup in Chiang Mai live with English commentary. He is Indian and in order to get Indian satellite TV he has a 10 foot dish along with a receiver that he brought from India. He also pays the 300 Baht(ish) monthly subscription in India. This gives him pretty good sport and movie channels in English along with lots of Indian language channels. According to him we are right on the edge of the Indian satellite footprint here (sorry, I didn't ask the satellite name) but he says it works great unless there is very heavy rain and cloud, in which case most satellite systems seem to have problem... The lucky bugger didn't realise that he was the only one getting to watch the matches in English until I told him what a mess FIFA has made of it.

This system is apparently available in Thailand, but costs a lot more than he pays by sorting out his own subscription through family in India. He headed off to India yesterday for the holiday so the only house I know where somebody is able to watch the world cup in Chiang Mai with English commentary is now empty - how's that for a waste! Maybe I'll break in to watch TV! ph34r.gif Anyway, if anyone is interested he said just ask any expat Indians you know - most have this system and could tell you where to get it sorted. Personally, I don't fancy a 10 foot dish in my little old yard...

I assume he gets cricket through his Indian satellite? Any idea if they show golf or rugby?

Iain

the only broadcaster I know of showing Rugby in asia is Australia Network but that will cease by year end, see link

My link

I assume he gets cricket through his Indian satellite? Any idea if they show golf or rugby?

Iain

I'm afraid he's just gone to India for the summer break so it will be about 8 weeks before I can ask him. I wish I'd found out more from him!

If any bar owners out there is still showing the WC without a license I would suggest that you get own asap. We have already had the bib by but luckily we already had a license.

You can get a license through Cola Cola, by placing an order for around 4.500B you'll have coke to last you a while, but it's a lot cheaper than getting it from RS.

Also, anyone who wants a demonstration of the WC Audio delay to computer system, or help setting it up, can PM me or come by my bar to see it. I have had it working since Sunday so all the issues have been ironed out.

Anders

If any bar owners out there is still showing the WC without a license I would suggest that you get own asap. We have already had the bib by but luckily we already had a license.

You can get a license through Cola Cola, by placing an order for around 4.500B you'll have coke to last you a while, but it's a lot cheaper than getting it from RS.

Also, anyone who wants a demonstration of the WC Audio delay to computer system, or help setting it up, can PM me or come by my bar to see it. I have had it working since Sunday so all the issues have been ironed out.

Anders

You do not need the license if your showing the WC on True Vision HD as the licensing fee is covered by True Vision back to RS but if you are showing the WC from a Thai channel (3,5,7,11, MCOT) or Astro HD then the BIB are the collection agent for RS and will demand 10,000 baht for each television in your establishment. I know owners that received their license free from Singha Beer.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month   private network  . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to  Radio Five  using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones  socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi. 

Excellent post and advice. For those of us with just one computer, here is the answer....

Light travels faster than sound, so to create the necessary time lag, purely site the computer 1 to 2 rooms or what ever distance necessary away from the screen you will be watching the match. Use the above advice to attach it to a stereo, then just adjust the volume to a level that you can hear it.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Anders

You do not need the license if your showing the WC on True Vision HD as the licensing fee is covered by True Vision back to RS but if you are showing the WC from a Thai channel (3,5,7,11, MCOT) or Astro HD then the BIB are the collection agent for RS and will demand 10,000 baht for each television in your establishment. I know owners that received their license free from Singha Beer.

It depends which HD subscription you have.

The 290B 6 months contract does NOT cover the license, you have to have the 790B 12 month contract to be covered by your UBC contract,

Excellent post and advice. For those of us with just one computer, here is the answer....

Light travels faster than sound, so to create the necessary time lag, purely site the computer 1 to 2 rooms or what ever distance necessary away from the screen you will be watching the match. Use the above advice to attach it to a stereo, then just adjust the volume to a level that you can hear it.

Cheers

Iain

Iain - Love it!

David

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month private network . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to Radio Five using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi.

Cheers

Iain

football fans are the smartest :)

Cheers

Iain

I bet you've got a Blue Peter badge, to go with all them Boy Scout badges. :)

I took your advice. I couldn't move my Desktop PC so I've put the TV and Hi-fi in the toilet. Much better acoustics, almost like surround sound. The toilet roll is also handy if the wrong team scores.

Edited by twofortheroad

Just a quick question.

Are all the guys that were guaranteed 100% English commentary, either on the phone, face to face or in writing, going to make a joint complaint or give True back the equipment.........or just mai bpen rai?

Just a quick question.

Are all the guys that were guaranteed 100% English commentary, either on the phone, face to face or in writing, going to make a joint complaint or give True back the equipment.........or just mai bpen rai?

That would probably depend on how long they've been here or how daft they are.