Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

Anyone who finds any bars with decent English commentary please post here, John's place was advertising it outside today, not sure if it's true though. Just over three hours and counting! Can't wait, enjoy everyone!

Bargain Booze has the World Cup in English. They're just up from the Un Irish bar opposite to The Wall restaurant

Did Bargain Booze and Dragonfly Bar have in sync commentary in English with True HD ?

Bargain Booze are showing via the internet

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say that Astro Supersport shows World Cup with english commentary. Don't know if Astro Supersport is available in CM as it Malaysia based TV. Have no idea if possible to get satelite signal as far north as CM but available in BKK. GL finding english commentary folks.

I just want to say that Astro Supersport shows World Cup with english commentary. Don't know if Astro Supersport is available in CM as it Malaysia based TV. Have no idea if possible to get satelite signal as far north as CM but available in BKK. GL finding english commentary folks.

sad.gif its not afaik

im thinking i should count the "ooohooo" 's in a game

theres been a few in the argie vs nigeria game so far laugh.gif

Astro is not available in northern Thailand actually any thing pass Bangkok is iffy.

Watched the first half of the England vs USA game at Inside Park in JJ Market - huge screen, but didn't even have Thai commentary. They just played music the whole time.

Dashed down to the Irish Pub for the second half - good atmosphere upstairs, had it on in HD on two TVs and had commentary in English from 5-Live (I think), with no sound/picture lag.

sad.gif its not afaik

im thinking i should count the "ooohooo" 's in a game

theres been a few in the argie vs nigeria game so far laugh.gif

There was one big 'booohooo' in the England v USA game.

Someone should have told Green to wash his hands after eating his hot chip butty! :)

I have heard it's all to do with maintaining diplomatic relations.

RS sports, the official world cup broadcaster in Thailand has not offered truesports an English version. According to Truevisions, Fifa would not allow english commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy in the region, and the commentary would add an extra cost of 2% (millions of baht) which RS does not see as a viable investment due to the general viewer being Thai. I don't see how this decision by the Fifa cronies.... I mean executives would make any difference to piracy in the region, and was that 2% payment to be passed in an envelope under the table? :)

Tuskers now has English commentary from the BBC. We have just tested it during the first half of the Slovenia v Algeria game. At the moment the audiis is about a second ahead of the picture but we believe we can rectify this tomorrow.

Grateful thanks go to the UN Irish Pub for generously sharing their experience and know how and one of my customers who is a bit of a computer geek. :)

Edited by miltonbentley

The Sunday Times comment on Greens fumble was:

'This was one spill the Americans won't be complaining about!'

All 6.30pm and 9pm games LIVE at The Olde Bell - with English commentary -all England's games live whatever tme they're on!

FREE BBQ this Friday from 7pm until it's gone!

'This was one spill the Americans won't be complaining about!'

Loooooool fantastic!! :):D

I only saw the rerun of this one but that was really one of the stupidest goals I have ever seen... epic fail.

Thanks for the tips, HD would certainly appreciated. Or put it another way since I have HD at home, I can't get myself to watch SD anymore. I have also changed my mind about the comments. Since the vuvuzelas successfully drown out any game noise, I appreciate it much more than before. If anyone can tell me how to set up a free VPN to get the BBC iPlayer it would be nice.

The FIFA is a joke, they could at least make AUDIO licenses free, so the Beeb and others could stream their audio anywhere in the world. Would they really lose money on the audio? Don't think so.

while commenting on fifa i thought it might be worth reproducing this read over the weekend.

World Cup number crunching:

22m: Number of South Africans who live on less than £2 per day.

£1.7bn: Current forecast for Fifa's overall profit from the World Cup, with all income from broadcasting, marketing and tickets channelled out of South Africa.

0: Amount of tax that Fifa – a Swiss-registered charity – will pay on the £1.7bn.

fifa does absolutely nothing for free despite being officially a charity for some unknown reason.

while commenting on fifa i thought it might be worth reproducing this read over the weekend.

£1.7bn: Current forecast for Fifa's overall profit from the World Cup, with all income from broadcasting, marketing and tickets channelled out of South Africa.

0: Amount of tax that Fifa – a Swiss-registered charity – will pay on the £1.7bn.

fifa does absolutely nothing for free despite being officially a charity for some unknown reason.

sepp_vuvuzela.jpg

sepp_vuvuzela.jpg

Excellent! :)

sepp_vuvuzela.jpg

:)

very good.

Tuskers now has English commentary from the BBC. We have just tested it during the first half of the Slovenia v Algeria game. At the moment the audiis is about a second ahead of the picture but we believe we can rectify this tomorrow.

Grateful thanks go to the UN Irish Pub for generously sharing their experience and know how and one of my customers who is a bit of a computer geek. :D

I have got it sorted as well now, Stream BBC 5 live on your pc. Run the audio through a second laptop with a radio delay software set to 2 seconds delay, and Bob's your uncle, or at least second cousin once removed on your fathers side. :D

Bloody difficult, and there might be better ways, but it works.

GO DENMARK :D Buh Holland :)

A round of drinks on me if Denmark beats Holland today :D.

In case anyone wants to try this out, this is how I did it.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month   private network  . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to  Radio Five  using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones  socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi. 

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video. 

If your not clear , PM me.

In case anyone wants to try this out, this is how I did it.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month   private network  . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to  Radio Five  using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones  socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi. 

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video. 

If your not clear , PM me.

Thanks alot for this info and more to the point for making it easy to follow. Ill be off to pantip later today then. It'll save me money also now I don't have to go to the bars to watch the game. :)

Right now we have the commentary sorted can we all try to get the vuvuzela banned from stadiums.

No slur is intended on South Africa or their fans but the vuvuzela must go! It is ruining the crowd atmosphere at the games;

singing from fans, team bands, samba drums are all being eliminated from the party in favour of this pernicious horn. If anyone uses Facebook please join this group which is growing fast and spread the word. The group has already got media attention and if it gets in the millions I believe action will be taken.

BAN%20VUVUZELAS233.jpg

Edited by miltonbentley

Yes thanks for that Mr twofortheroad, i'm now off to Pantip plaza to buy every single mic/headphones jack in the building and my wife will be selling them outside the Plaza at 1,000 baht a piece :).

Edited by alfieconn

Right now we have the commentary sorted can we all try to get the vuvuzela banned from stadiums.

No slur is intended on South Africa or their fans but the vuvuzela must go! It is ruining the crowd atmosphere at the games;

singing from fans, team bands, samba drums are all being eliminated from the party in favour of this pernicious horn. If anyone uses Facebook please join this group which is growing fast and spread the word. The group has already got media attention and if it gets in the millions I believe action will be taken.

BAN%20VUVUZELAS233.jpg

I think it will be very difficult (impossible) after this satement yesterday from Blatter yesterday..

Fifa president Sepp Blatter also weighed into the debate and believes vuvuzelas are part and parcel of football in South Africa.

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," he commented on social networking site Twitter.

"I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country. Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"

A recent survey found that the sound emitted by a vuvuzela was the equivalent to 127 decibels - louder than a drum's 122 decibels or a referee's whistle at 121.8 decibels.

:)

Yes thanks for that Mr twofortheroad, i'm now off to Pantip plaza to buy every single mic/headphones jack in the building and my wife will be selling them outside the Plaza at 1,000 baht a piece :D.

Discount for a mate? :D

"I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country. Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"

this is the crux really and why i can't see them being banned. if south african fans called for the banning of that poxy annoying brass band that follows england around playing the great escape all bloody match long there'd be uproar.

The vuvuzela has only been mass produced since 2001 so hardly a long standing tradition. I have no problem with them at South Africa games if their fans want them but the World Cup belongs to fans from all countries not just the host nation and all their traditions are being drowned out.

Look at this video of South African football fans and tell me that it is not what you would prefer to see and hear at this World Cup. It is also more in keeping with genuine African traditions. Sends shivers down my spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYIYBDf_M_Q

I tried watching last nights games at home on Thai television and there was just Thai text on the screen.

Have they stopped broadcasting or was there another reason?

Not the greatest problem, just an extra excuse to get out to a bar to watch the games!

Iain

The vuvuzela has only been mass produced since 2001 so hardly a long standing tradition. I have no problem with them at South Africa games if their fans want them but the World Cup belongs to fans from all countries not just the host nation and all their traditions are being drowned out.

Look at this video of South African football fans and tell me that it is not what you would prefer to see and hear at this World Cup. It is also more in keeping with genuine African traditions. Sends shivers down my spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYIYBDf_M_Q

That video brings back memories of the movie Zulu one of the all time classics.

I ssuppose one of the benefits of not having English commentary is that we can turn the sound off completely and do not have to listen to that awful din.

I tried watching last nights games at home on Thai television and there was just Thai text on the screen.

Have they stopped broadcasting or was there another reason?

Not the greatest problem, just an extra excuse to get out to a bar to watch the games!

Iain

Has anyone else had this problem? The message on the screen apparently says that fifa is blocking the signal for cable TV, and if you want to continue watching it you have to get the signal via an ariel. At least that what my ability to read Thai led me to understand. I got that message on my screen before the Japan v Cameroon game, and also saw a scrolling message below a Thai soap on channel 3 saying the same.

I was able to watch the Japan game no problems, but didnt stay up for the Italy game. My signal comes via WETV so not sure if that means i have to go out and buy a TV ariel to continue watching!

It's all about money. UBC, RS, FIFA; up the fan. Just wait tell the BIB star collecting that 10k Baht per TV set at restaurants and bars that showing the match on Thai TV. They have already started collecting for RS in other areas. Oh and btw why do you thank that they are cutting off cable suppliers? Because most of what the cable companies offer is PIRATED. :)

Edited by gotlost