Thai Protesters To Rally Until Deputy PM Suthep Surrenders

webfact

Thai protesters to rally until deputy PM surrenders: leader

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai anti-government protesters will keep up their rally in central Bangkok until the deputy premier surrenders to police over a deadly April 10 crackdown, one of their leaders said Monday.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaungsuban was in charge of security when troops launched the unsuccessful operation to clear an area of the capital, leaving 25 people dead and hundreds injured in violent street clashes.

"If Suthep refuses to surrender himself to police, we refuse to end the rally," a leader of the "Red Shirt" protest movement, Nattawut Saikuar, said from a stage in the demonstrators' sprawling encampment.

"If Suthep surrenders to police, then we will go home," he added.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-10

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Deputy PM to surrender to DSI on Tuesday.

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban will surrender to Department of Special Investigation on Tuesday to testify against a complaint by victims of April 10 violence.

The decision came as red shirts leaders announced that they would end the rally at Rajprasong if Suthep surrendered to face charge.

Relatives and families of victims of the April 10 violence, led by opposition party Pheu Thai, filed a complaint with DSI against Suthep and PM Abhisit Vejjajiva for allegedly ordering the crackdown, resulting in death and injuries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I was just about to comment that "that will never happen" & then I saw the second post! :) Well, I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but I'm going to bet that the Red leaders thought that Sutep would never do it. He's either called their bluff or he's obeying the law. :D

Edited by otherstuff1957

Right, so Suthep will surrender tomorrow and then what? More demands?

They are not going to leave tomorrow.

Morons...

Suthep will surrender and walk on bail after 30 minutes, with a trial never happening. Just like the yellow shirts surrendered and walked on bail after 30 minutes and 2 years later, a trial is still not visible on the horizon.

However, when the red shirts surrender, they will not be able to walk on bail after 30 minutes. The strictly enforced double standards in Thailand prohibit that. :)

Interesting.

He goes to the police.

They decide there are no charges to face and tell him to go home.

How will the "Red Shirts" feel then?

Or...... do they really mean that they will go after he has been found guilty of something?

Nevermind...the reds are nothing but major liars. How can people here believe anything they say! They are a total disgrace to the Thai people.

The Nation: here's latest twist. Nuttawut said Reds won't accept Suthep surrendering to DSI. "Conflict of interest", Nuttawut said.

Interesting.

He goes to the police.

They decide there are no charges to face and tell him to go home.

How will the "Red Shirts" feel then?

Or...... do they really mean that they will go after he has been found guilty of something?

my thoughts exactly.

Thaksin and his buddies try to make up excuses for the reds to continue disrupting the country...

I was just about to comment that "that will never happen" & then I saw the second post! :) Well, I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but I'm going to bet that the Red leaders thought that Sutep would never do it. He's either called their bluff or he's obeying the law. :D

Calling their bluff. That's my bet. and they'll come up with a new demand because they've proven to be disengenous

The Nation: here's latest twist. Nuttawut said Reds won't accept Suthep surrendering to DSI. "Conflict of interest", Nuttawut said.

Of course not, Suthep is basically the guy who runs the DSI. It's like Mickey Mouse surrendering to Disneyland. :)

Morons...

Suthep will surrender and walk on bail after 30 minutes, with a trial never happening. Just like the yellow shirts surrendered and walked on bail after 30 minutes and 2 years later, a trial is still not visible on the horizon.

However, when the red shirts surrender, they will not be able to walk on bail after 30 minutes. The strictly enforced double standards in Thailand prohibit that. :)

so?

what is your point?

This is the tail wagging the dog!

After reading countless posts from Cheguevara, and in particular the ones above I have come to the conclusion he is a sandwich short of a picnic.

Of course not, Suthep is basically the guy who runs the DSI. It's like Mickey Mouse surrendering to Disneyland. :)

Red to the core, eh? Nuttawut stated clearly, remember, if he turns himself in, the reds will leave. He made arrangements, and Nuttawut suddenly changed his stance. It really stands to reason that everything the red leaders have said is nothing but lies and deception. The veil has been uncovered.

Well, reds said they will go home when he surrenders?

If he surrenders tomorrow will the reds now man up and go home?

You tell me

Red to the core, eh? Nuttawut stated clearly, remember, if he turns himself in, the reds will leave. He made arrangements, and Nuttawut suddenly changed his stance. It really stands to reason that everything the red leaders have said is nothing but lies and deception. The veil has been uncovered.

Not at all. Suthep surrendering to his own department ..are you serious? It is like Mickey Mouse surrendering to Disneyland. Or Michael Jackson surrendering to Neverland. They should arrest Seh Daeng if they want to make any progress. But the army is standing 10 feet away from him and isn't doing anything. Maybe they don't want this to end?

Precisely! It is a silly game.... he will surrender to "himself" then he will free "himself."

The red shirts are grasping at straws.... they need to be dispersed.... I say close all the McDonald's in the area and starve the likes of Kwanchai....

Morons...

So? The redshirt charges are spurious, an attempt to throw up a smokescreen around their guilt. They attacked the military. they have been responsible for all deaths . The government and its officials committed no crimes. Frankly seems like the reds are stalling, the government should see that they have to be crushed by whatever means including aggressive actions in those regions where they are strongest. It is two bad the factionalism this afternoon didn't lead to the reds saving the government the trouble of undertaking a course that seems unavoidable.

(I think)-He's not being charged with anything, someone (phua thai) files a complaint against him, so he is only going there to file his response, a public prosecutor or DA or whatever they call it here is not prosecuting him, and the complaint is frevilous unlike the redshirt leaders and earlier the yellow shirt leaders who are up on charges that were filed by a prosecutor.. people keep saying there is a double standard but it's overstated-the yellow shirt occupation of the airport lasted only 8 days and they didn't have these grenade launching thugs mixed in with the protestors..the yellowshirt occupation of government house was more serious but ultimately that doesn't inconvenience anyone except the MPs and their staff that work there.. but i definently think the yellowshirt leaders are getting off way too lightly-they should at least be forced to coff up some money for the economic damage they caused with their airport outrage.. but i think you'll see the redshirt leaders will not do any jail time either..except for that former army guy(i forget his name)-that is being accused of being behind the greneade attacks-that guy is in serious trouble.

Nevermind...the reds are nothing but major liars. How can people here believe anything they say! They are a total disgrace to the Thai people.

Regarding your first part. Totally agree.

Regarding the second part, PLEASE tell me you are joking... please...

I got this word on my tongue. Now , that was it, ai h... something

Oh yeah! this one:

post-63608-1273494611.gif

Well, reds said they will go home when he surrenders?

If he surrenders tomorrow will the reds now man up and go home?

You tell me

If he surrenders to the POLICE, not the DSI which is full of all his mates..!!

So let me get this straight. The entire red shirt movement now hinges on the fact that they think it was 'unlawful' for the prime minister to order police and soldiers to disperse a protest.

The PM has every right. That's his job, the deaths, whilst unfortunate in the extreme, were a consequence of individuals deciding to confront the 'legal forces' assembled to disperse them.

There is no double standard here, the PM is empowered to take these decisions, especially as a state of emergency was in force.

This is without a doubt the most stupid thing i have ever heard in Thailand. A classic.

Ordering a protest to be dispersed does not equal ordering the murder of people.

Yeah, Che is an absolute scream! To whom would he have Suthep surrender? Seh Daeng? Oak? Pintongta? Weng? :D