Bird Nest Farming

h90

h90,

Yes for both humidity and temperature. actually, both of this not too important as compare to the design i.e. inside and outside. Inside : the flying path, airflow & light and outside : direction of bird flying path, sunlight, wind. As long as not too hot and not too dry, it should be ok.

If too hot, u can either install additional roof sheet on top or metal sheet to the external wall that facing the sun esp. sunset.

Humidity : as long as ur design is right, your humid created by the humidifier should be able to maintain the humid level. Too wet, nest will turn green (fungus) & too dry, the nest will crack.

IF the "design" is fail, no matter how good you control the humid and temperature, no bird will stay back. Other than that, the sound system & sound has to be good too. Sound system inclusive of type of amplifier, quality of cable, suitable speaker and finally, setting of speaker. Speaker form part of the important tool for guiding and pull the bird into your designated location/room/places within the building. Right partition will also ensure a better security feeling to the bird and also guidance of flying path inside the BH.

I worry that I am much too hot and too dry....so I need to check, if I am really having a problem on that.

I have currently 10 birds and 2 nests, which isn't that bad considering that we just changed everything completely and that there are approx. 20!!! Birdhouse (most new) in a radius of 100 meter. Pulling the birds down seems to need improvement. And when the birds have 20 choices it is hard to be the best one....Which might be mostly because of poor "design". I'll later draw how it looks and post it here.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi h90,

20BH around you, that is not really very competitive. always remember the ratio of success 80 fail: 20 success or may be 70 : 30. U just need to have a good design and right sound, then your BH should be better than them. How long already u farm to get the 10birds? Where is your BH located? is your converted from existing shop/building (town area) or build from empty land (outside town)?

Hi h90,

20BH around you, that is not really very competitive. always remember the ratio of success 80 fail: 20 success or may be 70 : 30. U just need to have a good design and right sound, then your BH should be better than them. How long already u farm to get the 10birds? Where is your BH located? is your converted from existing shop/building (town area) or build from empty land (outside town)?

It is downtown (if you know Robinson Shopping placa in Nakhon, almost opposite-left in the next soi.

All there are converted buildings, almost every second house in that soi.

Yes some of them have no bird traffic at all hahahaha

I think approx. 4 month, actually longer but we had complete restart it with a new roof. In a very short time 12 birds came. 1 died

2 nests are made (1 inside a fake nest), 1 single is sitting on a fake nest and 2 others are sitting on a fake nest and may breed or not.

I think some may have left because of heat, but of course not sure.

big traffic in the roofing area almost all the time, just some weakness to get them down in the breeding area.

h90,

Sorry forgotten that u r the one that owned BH in Nakhon. i also have one BH, but outside town, mthly 3 - 4kg. I think the best is, u draw up the overall location plan and indicate information about your neighbour BH and also dimension of your building. If possible, the internal layout floor plan.

h90,

Sorry forgotten that u r the one that owned BH in Nakhon. i also have one BH, but outside town, mthly 3 - 4kg. I think the best is, u draw up the overall location plan and indicate information about your neighbour BH and also dimension of your building. If possible, the internal layout floor plan.

Will do so when I am there.....big trouble in the office at the moment....no way to go down to NST :annoyed:

Hey Guys,

Have u came across any BH with min. 3000 nests for sell? If yes, please let me know ASAP.

No, sorry...

I got told some of the larger birdhouse in NST are for sale, but from my impression they are for sale because there are no birds in it.

Hey Guys,

Have u came across any BH with min. 3000 nests for sell? If yes, please let me know ASAP.

3000 nest and then sell.

i would bang my head against a wall if i do that.

i have ordered more speaker from my buddy in malaysia, follow your tip cost of speaker against profit of nest.:rolleyes:

hey h90

trouble solved in the office??

Hey Guys,

3000 nest and then sell.

i would bang my head against a wall if i do that.

i have ordered more speaker from my buddy in malaysia, follow your tip cost of speaker against profit of nest.:rolleyes:

hey h90

trouble solved in the office??

Troubles solved....But now working on an urgent order, where we received the raw material yesterday instead of last monday....

So tonight we are fully working till midnight and than the next week....

Don't know what will happen on the end of next week :annoyed:

Hi Huuwi,

3000nest and sell, may not be a bad idea but depending on how much u start the investment. if u started with less than 4MB and assuming 3000nest BH, total sell 20MB. Reason (of course depending on what angle u look at it). 3000nest = 8kg+/- @ 40,000baht ave. x 12mth = 3.8MB equal = 5yrs to breakeven. BUT with 20MB, i can start almost 5 projects. 4 to 5yrs later, assuming, min. 1500nest each, the value is much higher.

u want to see big income from farming bird nest provided u 'DARE/FORCE TO HARVEST' i.e. every 40days, harvest min. 80%.

3000nest x 80% = 2400nest/135nest/kg x 8times a year = 142kg x 45,000baht/kg = 6.4MB. i.e. 3yrs++ breakeven. Force harvest bird nest normally very white, therefore fetching much higher price. of course, this one method grow much slower.

Therefore, it is depend on what u want. DEVELOPER or FARMER.

Hi Huuwi,

3000nest and sell, may not be a bad idea but depending on how much u start the investment. if u started with less than 4MB and assuming 3000nest BH, total sell 20MB. Reason (of course depending on what angle u look at it). 3000nest = 8kg+/- @ 40,000baht ave. x 12mth = 3.8MB equal = 5yrs to breakeven. BUT with 20MB, i can start almost 5 projects. 4 to 5yrs later, assuming, min. 1500nest each, the value is much higher.

u want to see big income from farming bird nest provided u 'DARE/FORCE TO HARVEST' i.e. every 40days, harvest min. 80%.

3000nest x 80% = 2400nest/135nest/kg x 8times a year = 142kg x 45,000baht/kg = 6.4MB. i.e. 3yrs++ breakeven. Force harvest bird nest normally very white, therefore fetching much higher price. of course, this one method grow much slower.

Therefore, it is depend on what u want. DEVELOPER or FARMER.

yeah, but from your last post sounds like you want to buy a BH with3000 nest and not sale.

Hey rangnok i have to sleep a couple days over that, but my choice Bh 3000 nest i'm a farmer, and then i can go and build another one with my income.

sounds to me more safe, but this is only me :whistling:

huuwi

Hi Huuwi,

Yes i'm interested to buy a BH with 3000nests. reason being because i have factory to process bird nest (100% hand pick & NO CHEMICAL). Therefore, i need to buy existing BH, so i can reduce buying raw bird nest from farmers. secondly, once i bought over, i will modify (enhance) the design, to make the qty jump to another qty at shorter time. Finally, if someone interested i can sell it too. Well, just a normal people doing property speculation BUT this type u need to have knowledge to improve, so it will outstanding that normal expectation. There is where u make a quick buck.

Like i say, 3000nest for normal farmer, ave. 8kg/mth i.e. 320,000baht/mth which u may need to safe for 1yrs in order to buy and build a BH on a land with 4 storeys/levels. Furthermore, after 1yr saving, u may not able to build one too due to the land not come with 1 rai, normally a few rai, the land cost make takes up all your saving for 1st year. So this way is obviously slower. However, your way is safe i.e. very less risk as compare to mine. My main problem is, i have a factory to support i.e. need to buy a lot of raw bird nest monthly in order to sustain the production.

Assuming, u still need to buy balance 80 - 100kg per mth and u need to maintain 4mth cash flow, esp. for the lower season period. Then u will feel the PAIN like me. After clean/processed, we make only small margin due to high labour cost and high wastage (based on HK standard finishing). BUT to compare with farmer, they are making over 95% profit each harvest as compare to the monthly operation cost (let put a side the fix cost).

anyway, if u come accross any good BH, please kindly let me know. Thanks. OR u have some one interested to buy BH with bird nest (1000nest) already (guarantee success), pls contact me too. Thanks,

Hi,

Just out of curiousity, do the birds use any medicine or nutritional supplements? I sell animal health products, and this is a new market which sounds interesting.

Kat

Wow !!!!!

Roughly how many nests make up a KG ?

depend on size, 100+ nest to a kg :whistling:

huuwi

Hi,

Just out of curiousity, do the birds use any medicine or nutritional supplements? I sell animal health products, and this is a new market which sounds interesting.

Kat

Wow !!!!!

Roughly how many nests make up a KG ?

depend on size, 100+ nest to a kg :whistling:

huuwi

hi kat,

even we farm them, we have no contact to them like chicken.

they are wild, we just provide realestate for them

huuwi

Hi huuwi,

Any good opportunities in trang? what kind of price range for land and shop in trang?

Hi miracle77,

Nothing added or provided to the brid. These birds is free come and go in our Bird house i.e. they find their own food.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, i just finish all your posting.

Please let me introducing myself, My name is Berton, I am a bird's nestfarmer too, I am staying at Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia.

Today i have more than 70 BH spread across Sumatra Island. (most of themfailed, only few success, and just ONLY 2 very success) .

My main business is processing bird's nest and export it abroad.

I can say that Rangnok is expert in bird's nest farming. All theory is acceptable as i had encounterso many same BH problems too.

Just one thing Rangnok, "Dontuse wood for your nest plank".

It wont last longer than 10 years. Most 3 years the woods spoiled alreadybecause using "new technology humidity stuffs".

I bought dozens of that stuffs before so many years ago and create too muchproblems.

Please just use cement to make the nest plank. Some people will say birdsdo not like the smell of the cement. Yes i do agree.

We need to brush and clean it again and again til the smell gone. Once thesmell gone, it is forever gone. And no more trouble coming.

And most important using soil as your plank it would create the caveatmosphere for the bird. The nest produced is bigger, cleaner and whiter.

For me, Double your wall is not very recommended solution, as increasedinvestment cost.

From my experience, doubling the wall, is just creating an obstacle for theheat outside "kind of blocked" to come inside the BH.

The fact is the heat still coming inside the bird's house even you havedouble the concrete wall. As we learn before that "Soil / stone assorbheat not reflecting it."

If your plank is concrete, you can use humidity machines with no worry.

Using wood, need to much treatment such as brushing whenever you see fungusevery month. You still need to worry of cockroach, lizard, nesting above yourwooden plank.

As we know these incest love to nest inside the small gap between your woodand your ceiling.

Floor is not very flat, even the floor is flat, your wood cant be thatflat.

Even your eyes see there is no gap, insects still see gap and start nestingthere.

As wood consist of fiber, they can easily create their own gap.

Humidity in wood will speed up the growth of insect"termite" insects that eatwood fiber.

Hope this information is useful for you guys for not repeating the mistakesi done before. = )

What is current price of bird's nest raw material for SUPER 1, Triangle andbroken nest?

Best Regards,

Berton

Medan - North Sumatra

Indonesia

hi berton,

i just come back from indonesia.

i been on pula weh, north of aceh province for a fishing trip.

your post is very interesting.

how do you fix the concret planks under the roof.

rangnok, h90,

sorry for not been online for a while.

back now.

for your last post rangnok, yes there are some bh in trang they are very very good, but i have no contacts with the trang bh community sofar, and i'm not sure if the wana sale.

huuwi

Hi Guys, i just finish all your posting.

Please let me introducing myself, My name is Berton, I am a bird's nestfarmer too, I am staying at Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia.

Today i have more than 70 BH spread across Sumatra Island. (most of themfailed, only few success, and just ONLY 2 very success) .

My main business is processing bird's nest and export it abroad.

I can say that Rangnok is expert in bird's nest farming. All theory is acceptable as i had encounterso many same BH problems too.

Just one thing Rangnok, "Dontuse wood for your nest plank".

It wont last longer than 10 years. Most 3 years the woods spoiled alreadybecause using "new technology humidity stuffs".

I bought dozens of that stuffs before so many years ago and create too muchproblems.

Please just use cement to make the nest plank. Some people will say birdsdo not like the smell of the cement. Yes i do agree.

We need to brush and clean it again and again til the smell gone. Once thesmell gone, it is forever gone. And no more trouble coming.

And most important using soil as your plank it would create the caveatmosphere for the bird. The nest produced is bigger, cleaner and whiter.

For me, Double your wall is not very recommended solution, as increasedinvestment cost.

From my experience, doubling the wall, is just creating an obstacle for theheat outside "kind of blocked" to come inside the BH.

The fact is the heat still coming inside the bird's house even you havedouble the concrete wall. As we learn before that "Soil / stone assorbheat not reflecting it."

If your plank is concrete, you can use humidity machines with no worry.

Using wood, need to much treatment such as brushing whenever you see fungusevery month. You still need to worry of cockroach, lizard, nesting above yourwooden plank.

As we know these incest love to nest inside the small gap between your woodand your ceiling.

Floor is not very flat, even the floor is flat, your wood cant be thatflat.

Even your eyes see there is no gap, insects still see gap and start nestingthere.

As wood consist of fiber, they can easily create their own gap.

Humidity in wood will speed up the growth of insect"termite" insects that eatwood fiber.

Hope this information is useful for you guys for not repeating the mistakesi done before. = )

What is current price of bird's nest raw material for SUPER 1, Triangle andbroken nest?

Best Regards,

Berton

Medan - North Sumatra

Indonesia

This sounds like a nice side line i am in Maha Sarakham province and my land overlooks a 5 mile long lake there seams to be loads of swifts about everyday. I counted 50 last night anyone interested in setting up here ?

have you seen any bh around your area?

huuwi

Hi B370n (Berton),

Thanks for your compliment. I also learning from time to time. Never finish learning due to competitiveness in the market. I do agree with you about cement/concrete plank. In fact we have came out a mold for T shape precast plank. However, a few BH that almost fully tenanted, many nest made on the cement surface (beam & stair), each harvest, we realise that its heavy due to cement & sand debris. Anyway, i do agree the problem due to gap between plank and concrete floor. Anyway, we will seriously consider about cement plank.

Over here we practise double not only for thermal insulation (we think) but mainly for anti thief. In fact, 2 of my BH in SARAWAK (east malaysia) was built with cement board as wall (of course double layer). The result, 2yrs 2000nest & 1.5yrs 1000nest. It is all about location i.e. this location very very less competitor & unlimited food source.

Grade super, running at 35,000baht/kg about US$1130/kg, even i myself also looking for this quality for own processing. BUT people here sell based on EVERYTHING GOES, not buy only grade super. By the way, i'm visiting medan soon, is it possible to contact you for coffee or possible some business chat? If its ok with you, please give me your contact no. You may email to me at [email protected]

Hi andycrosby,

Easiest way to confirm, carry out a bird call test, then u know whether or not is same kind of species. if over 100 birds, go ahead with hesitate.

Hi huuwi,

Is ok & thanks for the Trang infor. The cement plank recommended to be precast and place as a floor with plank serving the bottom level (t shape). On top of that, u may add a layer of cement mortar to protect water leaking. The joint of each plank could be same as normal construction joint, S joint.

Hi B370n (Berton),

Thanks for your compliment. I also learning from time to time. Never finish learning due to competitiveness in the market. I do agree with you about cement/concrete plank. In fact we have came out a mold for T shape precast plank. However, a few BH that almost fully tenanted, many nest made on the cement surface (beam & stair), each harvest, we realise that its heavy due to cement & sand debris. Anyway, i do agree the problem due to gap between plank and concrete floor. Anyway, we will seriously consider about cement plank.

Over here we practise double not only for thermal insulation (we think) but mainly for anti thief. In fact, 2 of my BH in SARAWAK (east malaysia) was built with cement board as wall (of course double layer). The result, 2yrs 2000nest & 1.5yrs 1000nest. It is all about location i.e. this location very very less competitor & unlimited food source.

Grade super, running at 35,000baht/kg about US$1130/kg, even i myself also looking for this quality for own processing. BUT people here sell based on EVERYTHING GOES, not buy only grade super. By the way, i'm visiting medan soon, is it possible to contact you for coffee or possible some business chat? If its ok with you, please give me your contact no. You may email to me at [email protected]

Hi andycrosby,

Easiest way to confirm, carry out a bird call test, then u know whether or not is same kind of species. if over 100 birds, go ahead with hesitate.

Hi huuwi,

Is ok & thanks for the Trang infor. The cement plank recommended to be precast and place as a floor with plank serving the bottom level (t shape). On top of that, u may add a layer of cement mortar to protect water leaking. The joint of each plank could be same as normal construction joint, S joint.

have to check out with the concret panel company if they are able to do this.

for now, i think i will (can) not change.

consider if my friend and me doing a new project, but at the moment not first priority.

fishing season is coming up, so busy in phuket and india.

i'm off for my last visit to ipoh on the 5th for this year.

huuwi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Lately raw bird nest had drop significantly. But still no sign of farmers letting go their bird nest farm. Anyone interested to sell their farm and or raw bird nest? if any, please email me. Please give me price based on DRY i.e. not more than 3% moisture and separate the price for cup shape & corner shape and perhaps those black nest too. Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Another BH (bird nest house) for sell also in songkhla province

2 building join together.

1000nest ave. 3kg++/mth, grade A nest (whiet & big), only 5% corner 95% cup shape

2 levels

total nestling area 8m x 22m x 2level = 352m2

Building only 1.8MB x 2 = 3.6MB

PLUS renovation cost for 2 building = 1.4MB

Now only sell : 12MB = US$400,000 ONLY.

BTW, I provide processing services at 8000baht/kg with guarantee NOT over 15% lost or wastage for medium & light feather nest.

• 1 month later...

Another BH for sell,

over 13,000nest, 17m x 17m, 5.5storeys, in surat thani. monthly 25kg to 30kg. now only 30% occupied. Can grow up over 25,000nest within next 3years. Building + renovation + land = min. 16MB.

NOW total sell only 90MB.

Hi forumers,

anyone know the land price in prachuap? or shoplot 3storeys building?

By the way, if anyone interested to invest BH in Chumporn, i got one another for sell too. 20m x 20m x 5storeys with 2 rai land. nest grade higher than A i.e. sell as same price as cave white nest. now 200nest ++. asking 12MB.