How Is It My Fault?

Lumumba

I was almost home in the suburbs last night 9pmish, was doing a right turn into my small soi with my pointer light indicating, there was no cars or motorbike or bicycle or a soi dog coming in the opposite direction. With my tip almost into the soi, I notice this rickety old offroad bike, no lights, with the young man on top of it trying to stop it with his dragging feet on the ground, seeing that was quite impossible and still had enough space before impact, he ditched the bike into my car and it did quite some damage to the Skirt' or front spoilers and the bumper, kind of bad shredding, when i saw him fighting to evade me, i just stooped to lessen the impact.

I got down , made sure he was OK, then noticed alcohol on his breath, no registration on the bike , except the bold 3 number,we cleared off the road, and i called my insurance, it him him 2 hours to arrive, and one look at the bike, he said, Mr, you should have let him pass, and i told him, just write me my claims, without brakes he would be impossible to avoid.

the next 3 minutes i was in the shower.

LOL quality haha always farangs fault... never mind the drunken no light no breaks crappy bike he will go into work today and tell every1 that he/she was called out because farang guy crashed into a bike.. my Mrs told me that a bike vs a car it is always the cars fault

When an alien (westener especially) is in any road accident here in Thailand it's best just to call your insurance and let them handle it all.

You don't really need to talk to anyone even if you are in the wrong.

If you are in the right, making sure that the person that hit you doesn't escape, take photos and get his/her licence particulars may be useful too.

A friend of mine had a similar experience recently and was told by his insurance man at the scene that it was his fault. He then wrote on his claim for that he was not responsible for the accident. The insurance man became angry and threatened to take him to the police station. The next day he phoned his insurance company to complain and asked about this Car v bike scenario and was told by them that the police

prefer it this way as it makes life easier for them.He is still awaiting the outcome of the Insurance co.

My Thai husband had a similar experience with a farang, my husband was turning right, indicator on, guy decided this was a brilliant time to pass and drove straight into the side of the truck as it was turning.

Police told my husband he had two choices, take both vehicles to the police station for investigation, however long that might take or the farang would pay half the damages to the door he drove into.

Go figure.