Who Here Lives In Nakhon Si Thammarat?

Tornado

Im currently building a house in a small village near Nakhon City (about 50 kms north - Chian Yai). I am going to spend about 4 months a year there.

wanting to know if many farangs are in the area as I can see it being quite lonely.

what places owned by farangs?, where to go out? possible for sat link for internet?

I know there is one lady member teaching up there, is there anyone else?

Im currently building a house in a small village near Nakhon City (about 50 kms north - Chian Yai). I am going to spend about 4 months a year there.

wanting to know if many farangs are in the area as I can see it being quite lonely.

what places owned by farangs?, where to go out? possible for sat link for internet?

Had an Ex-Girlfriend from that neck of the woods a while back, when I asked her what the place was like her answer was 'Very boring'.

From another semi-reliable source I was told that it was dangerous and had a high rate of crime. Though this is likely to be thai related.

Another thai said it was okay but nothing to do for falangs. I expect little or no bars catering to falangs. Probably a clutch of those seedy looking kareoke places that the thais love.

I haven't been their personally so don't take my posting as gospel, just whispers and rumours I've picked up on.

My Ex-GF is also from Chian-Yai in Nakhon Sri Thammarat.Better be aware of that 5ft witch.

I really have to after I had a girl, now my wife ,in her appartement over night while she´s been for the "monk-blessing of her brother".

Later I found out she´s really been home.Ooooops :o

Reputed to be one of the more dangerous areas of Thailand.

From what i've read over the years, Nakhon Sri Thammarat

is where many of the 'himen for hire' originate. So careful

who you speak to in your local karaoke. :o

I realise the danger aspect of Nakhon as I have been going there for a few years now. The southern hitmen do usually come from there or Yalla or close by.

I also had a friend that was shot dead because the Thai hitman killed the wrong farang :o (I suppose we all look the same).

Anyway I know the "dangers", but I must also say, the only Thai friends I would call friends, do all come from there. I feel part of the community, feel welcomed and have never been asked for anything.

At my father in laws funeral, there was over 6000 people, with the majority carrying guns - but I still felt safe. Anyway I love the place!

The river frontage on my land is so beautiful and great for catching big Barramundi - I am going up there tomorrow for a few days.

If there is anyone else living there, I would be happy to catch up for a chat or a beer.

Yup, its gisele, give her a pm, she has been there for quite awhile and seems to really like the place (but then, after china, who wouldn't?)

And as far as the violence in the area goes, it is all very overrated by the thais from elsewhere. I have lived in Surat (2nd or 3rd after Nakhon) and all the murders I have known about have been personal stuff. None of that random weirdo stuff. And if you keep your nose clean you should be just fine. And, since your wife is from there, most people won't mess with her family by messing with you.

As for the hired hitmen, yes, most of them do come from Nakhon, Surat and Petburi. But who does the hiring, hmmm??? Usually Bangkokians, and does that make them any less murderers because they hire someone else to do what they won't?

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, its gisele, give her a pm, she has been there for quite awhile and seems to really like the place (but then, after china, who wouldn't?)

Yes, I've been here for awhile and I love it. I will be here for the rest of my life.

It is Paradise. :D

If I miss farang stuff I go to SAmui, to get food stuff like cheese or new DVDs, English reading material.

There are a few bars, I think Brothers near Robinson's is where most of the farang guys frequent most, it has a cover band that plays American music.

I prefer Country Home and Folkstreet which has good Thai music, but there are plenty of other places to hang out.

The people who have been "terminated" were either in local politics or have made enemies in some business dealings. But this happens everywhere else in Thailand too and as SBK points out, who does the hiring of these hitmen. :o

Welcome to my neck of the woods!

I am sure you will love your life here. :D

Just my opinion here, I used to be there a couple of times and the place sucks big time!

I'll never go there again, that's for sure!

Jan Werner

Yes, I've been here for awhile and I love it. I will be here for the rest of my life.

It is Paradise. :D

If I miss farang stuff I go to SAmui, to get food stuff like cheese or new DVDs, English reading material.

There are a few bars, I think Brothers near Robinson's is where most of the farang guys frequent most, it has a cover band that plays American music.

I prefer Country Home and Folkstreet which has good Thai music, but there are plenty of other places to hang out.

The people who have been "terminated" were either in local politics or have made enemies in some business dealings. But this happens everywhere else in Thailand too and as SBK points out, who does the hiring of these hitmen. :o

Welcome to my neck of the woods!

I am sure you will love your life here. :D

Just my opinion here, I used to be there a couple of times and the place sucks big time!

I'll never go there again, that's for sure!

Jan Werner

Few tourists come here, there are only a few hotels and some guest houses, there are no bar girls like Samui, there are no cabaret shows, restaurants and bars close failry early especially compared to Pataya or Phuket, if you don't have a car you can't easily go see the amazing nature in the area.

I am happy you feel the way you do, hopefully more people think like you and won't ever bother visiting the area therefore my Paradise will remain unspoiled.

:o

I have lived in thailand 7 years now. the last 2 in lan saka and i spend a lot of time in nakhon si.I have never met nicer people.come and enjoy the real thailand.

Hello neighbour,

We often go through Lan Saka, we go to Khao Luang alot, I love going to PhiPun we like to go climb up to the Buddha on the hill, or romp in the Phrom Lok waterfalls.

I have lived in thailand 7 years now. the last 2 in lan saka and i spend a lot of time in nakhon si.I have never met nicer people.come and enjoy the real thailand.

Hello neighbour,

We often go through Lan Saka, we go to Khao Luang alot, I love going to PhiPun we like to go climb up to the Buddha on the hill, or romp in the Phrom Lok waterfalls.

Tornado, I've found this interactive map from a German site to be very helpful in locating small regional centres. Lan Saka features.

Hello neighbour,

PhiPun = Rophibun? (spelling?), close to Thung Song? :o

Hello neighbour,

PhiPun = Rophibun? (spelling?), close to Thung Song? :o

there's PhiPun the other side of the mountains in Khao Luang about 1 hour from Nakhon and then there's Ron PhiPun about 20 minutes from Nakhon, not the same place. The Buddha on the hill is in PhiPun.

Hi

Where in Chian Yai do you stay. We have a small house on the riverside 10 minutes from the town. We will be there in August.

By the way don't you mean 50 km south of Nakorn .

Regards

There are about 30-odd farangs I know living in NST. Most are working as teachers in local skools, as do I. We have regular gatherings, most of us are married or nearly there, and we ride big bikes. Most are laid back individuals and enjoy living amongst Thais. We have a Tesco, soon we'll have a Carrefour, and NST is an excellent base to visit the local area e.g. Samui, Krabi, Nat Parks, Had Yai. No trouble here re terrorists. PM me for more info.

There are about 30-odd farangs I know living in NST. Most are working as teachers in local skools, as do I. We have regular gatherings, most of us are married or nearly there, and we ride big bikes. Most are laid back individuals and enjoy living amongst Thais. We have a Tesco, soon we'll have a Carrefour, and NST is an excellent base to visit the local area e.g. Samui, Krabi, Nat Parks, Had Yai. No trouble here re terrorists. PM me for more info.

You work in a school not a skool. Sorry cap couldnt help myself :o

Hi

Where in Chian Yai do you stay. We have a small house on the riverside 10 minutes from the town. We will be there in August.

Regards

Yes I did mean south, I get me lefts and me rights mixed up to sometimes :o Baan Nern (10 minutes from Chian Yai city) is where Im building a small holiday home on the river front. PM me if you would like to catch up whilst your there. :D where is you place, what area?

Edited by Tornado

Sounds like a match there mate.

Im married, ride a big bike and am very laid back :o (or will be if I move)

where abouts are all you "bikers" located? where do you meet up?

cheers!

I haven't been in a while but there used to be a vigorous game of frisbee/football every Friday, 5:30PM at Talad park, a regular meet-up for a bunch of athletically inclined farangs.

I haven't been in a while but there used to be a vigorous game of frisbee/football every Friday, 5:30PM at Talad park, a regular meet-up for a bunch of athletically inclined farangs.

where is Talad park Gisele? obviously near a market, but in Nakhon city itself? near Lotus? please explain :o

Been in the area a few times - the wife is from Thoong Song- just south of Nakhon City. there are some really bueatiful places around. And yes, NST is the "Sicily' of Thailand. However, that doesn't mean they stay there! There are quite a lot of these fellows running around lpaces like Samui. I was there for a few months and the do have regular killings there, too. However, only rarely is it farang that get killed, as they don't mix in the business nearly so much -in addition, they are kind of the goose that laid the golden egg, too. They get a lot of protection ...

where is Talad park Gisele? obviously near a market, but in Nakhon city itself? near Lotus? please explain :o

Talad Park is near the football stadium, closer to the army base.

It's off of the old main road downtown Nakhon.

It's a big park, there's a zoo, a big aviary, children's playground, horse riding lesson, jogging paths, paddle boats, a big indoor facility and of course food stands galore. (no amusement park rides though) :D

Hi

Regards

Yes I did mean south, I get me lefts and me rights mixed up to sometimes :o Baan Nern (10 minutes from Chian Yai city) is where Im building a small holiday home on the river front. PM me if you would like to catch up whilst your there. :D where is you place, what area?

I will try to contact you when we arrive. I think my wife knows where your area is. We are not so far from there but on the other side of the river.

The Talad Park frisbee thing has just been re-activated, so I'm told, after not happening for many moons.

Gatherings tend to be at folks' houses for barfday parties and bbqs etc.

Riding? Nothing organised, just peeps deciding to go out for a ride, but we're open to suggestions! There are Ninjas, Bandits and Specials around, which suits being in NST nicely... The prob though, as always, is to find a decent Thai mechanic who won't lie to you, and we're still working on that (and the bikes too)... :o

And my wife has just had our first baby, in the army hospital, and I'm exceedingly over the moon about it...

Edited by Captain Haddock