Reinstalled Vista But Windows Mail Is Missing

bapak

Go to control panel/add remove programs when you get in there check the windows tab and see if it is there, this is where you find fax and a few other programs. Also you could try download windows live , messenger as that gives you a number of programs options with it too.

Should read.. Have had to reinstall Vista but Windows Mail missing. Where did it go? Have checked Google. etc. Does not appeaqr to be anywhere to download.

I particularly need Windows Mail and not Windows Live Mail as I have a backup of the Windows Mail files and Windows Live Mail do not seem to like them

Bapak, I've seen your other post about your problem of getting your emails from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail.

I didn't respond because I have no experience with either of those programs. Nevertheless I think it should really be possible to go from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail, since these are Microsoft's standard email tools for private users, and Windows Live Mail is the official successor of Windows Mail.

So I assume something went really wrong during the process...

The first question is, did you EXPORT the email properly on your old system. Did you choose to export for 'Outlook' or for 'Windows Mail'? In your case, 'Windows Mail' should have been the right choice.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/90298-wi...l-messages.html

Import seems to be rather straight forward, too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3798-...l-messages.html

So what exactly did you do and where exactly does it fail?

Btw what email service are you using?

welo

So I assume something went really wrong during the process...

The first question is, did you EXPORT the email properly on your old system. Did you choose to export for 'Outlook' or for 'Windows Mail'? In your case, 'Windows Mail' should have been the right choice.

No... My hard drive crashed (Vista/Windows Mail) so no opportunity to export... However, I had a nomal backup of all files on a seperate drive.

I have now installed Vista on a seperate machine with the intent of accessing the backup files via Windows Mail but, alas, there is no Windows Mail in my Vista.

welo

I also went on Vista Control Panel/Default Programs/Set Program Access and Computer

Defaults, but no Windows Mail located.

Oops. I confused Vista with Windows 7, so if you read this post before I edited, it really was irrelevant.

You can try downloading it, like you have to for Windows 7. Try: http://download.live.com/wlmail

(Ditto for Windows Messenger, BTW.)

I may be wrong but this is Windows Live Mail not Windows Mail.

Windows Live Mail will not read my files.

Windows Mail only comes with Vista, preinstalled, and is not available for XP or Windows 7 AFAIK. Windows Live Mail is available for all systems, but a different system.

There is a good chance you can recover the mail archive even if the index has been damaged.

Mail messages are now stored in individual files instead of in a single database file. A transactional index database based on the Extensible Storage Engine enables real-time searching and improves the stability and the reliability of the stored data. In case of corruption, the indices can be rebuilt from the mail files.

source:wikipedia

It's probably a good idea to try to get Windows Mail running again to access the mail archive which has not been 'exported' properly (just like you are trying to do).

You might also try to run the WMUtil and then try to import into Windows Live Mail again.

http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/

I think the database should be located in this folder

C:\users\(user-name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders

Make sure you create a backup beforehand.

welo

It's probably a good idea to try to get Windows Mail running again to access the mail archive which has not been 'exported' properly (just like you are trying to do).

welo

I would love to get Windows Mail running again.... but it is not available anywhere. Should come with Vista installation... so I installed Vista on a spare machine but Windows Mail was not on it...

I also installed Outlook but it wants nothing to do with my files..

About to commit "hari kari"....

I would love to get Windows Mail running again.... but it is not available anywhere. Should come with Vista installation... so I installed Vista on a spare machine but Windows Mail was not on it...

Did you try to run the windows mail executable directly from the file system as described in one of my links... Is the .exe file missing?

If it IS missing you might have used a modded Vista install DVD ('Panthip Version') that has Windows Mail removed to make the OS more 'slim'.

welo

Did you try to run the windows mail executable directly from the file system as described in one of my links... Is the .exe file missing?

If it IS missing you might have used a modded Vista install DVD ('Panthip Version') that has Windows Mail removed to make the OS more 'slim'.

welo

Formatted drive and installed Vista (legit) again. And Windows Mail (WM) immediately available in Program Files.

Copied WM to Program Files in my Win 7 installation and it immediately worked.

Then put the backed up copy of WM files In the Store Folder, and all available.

Thanks all for your help.

Formatted drive and installed Vista (legit) again. And Windows Mail (WM) immediately available in Program Files.

Copied WM to Program Files in my Win 7 installation and it immediately worked.

Then put the backed up copy of WM files In the Store Folder, and all available.

Thanks all for your help.

So the saga continues.. Yesterday started and restarted Windows Mail (WM) several times with no problem.

This morning started computer and tried to start WM but nothing shows on screen... so clicked to start again and it says another copy is still running..

Go into Windows Task Manager / Processes and it shows WinMail as running.. but no sign whatsoever on screen.

Where to now?

post-271-1273723532_thumb.png

So the saga continues.. Yesterday started and restarted Windows Mail (WM) several times with no problem.

This morning started computer and tried to start WM but nothing shows on screen... so clicked to start again and it says another copy is still running..

Go into Windows Task Manager / Processes and it shows WinMail as running.. but no sign whatsoever on screen.

Where to now?

Solution found.. Overnight Win 7 done an update which installed a new version of msoe.dll (which is intended for Windows Live mail). I deleted it and placed the original msoe.dll in the WM folder. Worked like a charm..