An Unexpected Cold Season!

tigerfish

so as the topic heading states, how would thailand cope with an unexpected cold season. the kind that many of us are used to in our own homelands.

i can think of one area in particular where there maybe a problem, and that would be on the driving side of things. its bad enough as it is out her without the added aspects of things like snow, black ice and freezing fog on the roads.

but what would the other pitfalls be to a nation that is not used to such severe winter months? economically how would it cope, not being able to produce such items that are grown and then sold on the export market.

its a hot country most of the time either way and i am lucky enought to be able to enjoy the heat and not get to uncomfortable. thats one of the reasons i like it out here so much compared to dull old london town, but it can get unbearable for some folk.

flip the coin over though and imagine this lot going on about how cold it is.

many of you may have taken your better halfs to your own countries for a visit or to live, how did/ are they getting on with adapting to a foreign climate? coming home to a freezing cold house at night in the pitch black, for example.

so what do you think would thailand go a long in much the same sabai relaxed manner as it usually does, or would there be complete anarchy!

my misses loves english cold - "like stay on the aircon all the time" - i like the heat here.

it went down to 10C hear in chiangmai one time, cold snap, big news, giving out free blankets and things, couple of people died, ;; same temp in uk if the suns out people gunna be out sunbathing innit

i've been driving on the road up to fang and had mad heavy hail the size of golf balls hammer down for a few minutes, everyone basicaly stopped to wait for finnish. makes holes in my uncle in laws roof now and then, apparently the gov come and fix it for free though.

is this purely hypothetical or have you sum theories about climat change?

I have tried to work in minus 48 C in Siberia and looking at Ratchadamri road right now, it would do Thailand well with temperatures like that for a few weeks.

Edited by sorensen

Here's exactly how Thailand would handle it, based on its history:

Thai Province Declared Disaster Area

"Chiang Rai declared a disaster area as temperatures plummet

Plunging temperatures have prompted local authorities in Chiang Rai

to declare the province a disaster area.

"Temperatures in Chiang Rai have dropped and will continue to do so

until Jan 20, he said.

"Yesterday morning, the temperature was measured at 12.7 degrees Celsius in the town of Chiang Rai and nine degrees at Doi Tung mountain, said Mr Kittirat."

(From news article 19 December 2006 in a rival English language news source that may not be named. )

Note:

12.7 degrees Celcius = 55 degrees Farenheit

9 degrees Celcius = 48 degrees Farenheit

This disaster means the Thais had to start wearing socks, a long-sleeved shirt, and (God forbid) an undershirt!

Disaster indeed. :)

Edited by toptuan