Being Rip Offed! Sucker For Punishment?

billyboy

On my last few visits to Thailand,I am ashamed of myself for allowing myself to be ripped off. Back in february,i was standing at a food stall at 1am oppsite lumpini park,when a man came over,very good english,and friendly,"where u from",he says ,he then starts shaking my hand and talking to the food stall owner.

I start talking to him"you like thailand"he says etc.

He then pleads for me to buy him some food.At first i hesitate but then i said ok as he says Please. I thought its only 20 baht per stick .He picked 5 sticks,but then he says "what about my children"? and i said ok.he then gets more food sticks.

I pay 140 b to the stall owner.The man then thanks me laughing at me.

I then see him get into a black mercedas benz parked on the street and i see 2 kids inside,he bips his horn loudly as he drives off laughing.i feel like such a fool.

What would you have done in this case? How woul you have said no to him?

The second incident happened in a karaoke lounge where i was with a friend,2 girls started dancing with me,and i danced with them for about 10 mins.At the end of the night the bill arrrrrrived and it was 1200 b,i thought me and my friend had only 4 drinks? I queried with my friend,we spoke to the manager he told us that there were 4 other drinks for his 2 staff girls who had danced with me plus ice in the glasses .I didnt ask the girls to dance with me nor did they mention drinks.

Also i got a taxi from airport to pattaya,he said 1200 b,he then starts driving near the airport down a road past a hotel and stops outside a limo company,"here you get limo",he says ,"you pay me 200 b,now get out"

I get out and speak to the limo driver he says its 1800 b to pattaya.

I get angry"why am i being ripped off all the time?

I start walking back to the main road to hail another taxi,which i must say was a good driver this time who took me.

Another incident was in Suringwongse rd where i got into a taxi and said Lumpini park nnot knowing it was around the corner,the driver was a mean looking man and didnt put the meter on."you pay me 100 b ok"? he says.

I said it would only be about 20b? "He sais"i know but you rrich,i very poor"

He sounded very mean,like in a voice that was commanding.

"YOU UNDERSTAND! he says 100 baht! i nodded and as we turned the corner i gave him 100 b .He then drove off before i had closed the door laughing.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my last few visits to Thailand,I am ashamed of myself for allowing myself to be ripped off. Back in february,i was standing at a food stall at 1am oppsite lumpini park,when a man came over,very good english,and friendly,"where u from",he says ,he then starts shaking my hand and talking to the food stall owner.

He then pleads for me to buy him some food.At first i hesitate but then i said ok as he says Please. I thought its only 20 baht per stick .He picked 5 sticks,but then he says "what about my children"? and i said ok.he then gets more food sticks.

I then see him get into a black mercedas benz parked on the street and i see 2 kids inside,he bips his horn loudly as he drives off laughing.i feel like such a fool.

What would you have done in this case? How woul you have said no to him?.

Its all common stuff. But the guy in the Merc story is a new one to me. If true great way to bring up your kids.

Sounds like in at least a couple of those stories you knew you were going to be ripped off before it happened.

In a taxi, always get the meter on.

And for sure I would have said no to him - if he was in a really bad state, I might have bought 1 stick.

- so why not walk away??

Or if you are just a generous guy - smile and carry on.

Billyboy

Mmmm... I was about to post a really short "p1ss take" message in response to the above, but then got to wondering if you really are as naive as this and some of your other posts suggest.... :o

Anyway, next time that you return to LoS, I suggest that you come with a good friend (or parent?) who is a little more streetwise and able to stand up for themselves. Learn from them and you will soon get the hang of it.

Hopefully this will help you to relax and enjoy the Thailand experience without worrying about the next rip-off.

You've started a fair amount of posts here about starting a business in Thailand Billy Boy, it might be best just to forget any business ideas until you can get by as a tourist without getting ripped off so easily, coz if you get ripped off in business it'll certainly hurt your finances a lot more than 5 sticks of chicken. :o

The second incident happened in a karaoke lounge where i was with a friend,2 girls started dancing with me,and i danced with them for about 10 mins.At the end of the night the bill arrrrrrived and it was 1200 b,i thought me and my friend had only 4 drinks? I queried with my friend,we spoke to the manager he told us that there were 4 other drinks for his 2 staff girls who had danced with me plus ice in the glasses .I didnt ask the girls to dance with me nor did they mention drinks.

Me and OxfordWill paid a staggering 5,000 baht just for having a chat with 2 girls ! :o

Me and OxfordWill paid a staggering 5,000 baht just for having a chat with 2 girls ! :o

where? how? :D

I can't beleive we're talking about "Peanut's" here. 140baht (£2) for chicken sticks

and 100baht (£1.50) for taxi in Pattaya.......I bought a shirt the other week in England for £30 and 2 weeks later they where in the sale at £15, now that's being ripped off by high street shops but big deal, that's life. As for the Taxi to Pattaya from BKK this one always amazes me. It's a 4-5 hour round trip and costs about 250-300baht in Tolls on the motorway. I usually pay 800baht from Pattaya to BKK or 1200baht from BKK to Pattaya for Taxi Meter and anything from 1,200-2,000 for Limo. I don't think that's being ripped off, I think it's good value. If you don't want to pay it, get on a crowded bus and pay 150baht

Mr BJ

C,mon now billyboy, you are letting the side down. We ozzies get enough stick around here without you giving them more ammo. Better spend more time around Redfern and get your street smarts up to scratch then come back to LoS and enjoy your next visit.

Also i got a taxi from airport to pattaya,he said 1200 b,he then starts driving near the airport down a road past a hotel and stops outside a limo company,"here you get limo",he says ,"you pay me 200 b,now get out"

I start walking back to the main road to hail another taxi,which i must say was a good driver this time who took me.

Another incident was in Suringwongse rd where i got into a taxi and said Lumpini park nnot knowing it was around the corner,the driver was a mean looking man and didnt put the meter on."you pay me 100 b ok"? he says.

"YOU UNDERSTAND! he says 100 baht! i nodded and as we turned the corner i gave him 100 b .He then drove off before i had closed the door laughing.

I remember my first time in Thailand it was a continuos rip off but I have learnt my lessons :o ....your post made me remember few things but be positive .... the guy with the mercedes was probably teaching his kids how to survive and make money in thailand :D:D

:D:D it seems those people "Billyboy" met were wise enough. isn't it?

"Billyboy" in this world we should accept the truth that people are strugling to survive, sorry for that anyway.

but not only in Thailand you may face this trouble. guess what? Year 2002, I went to Venice. I ate in a foodshop and it shows lot of food set promotion so, I got one. Its a nice food I like them. but when the bill came the prize is different. originally the cost was 12.5 Euro but on the bill it shows 17.5 Euro in the same set, even it shows 17.5 euro I pay only 12.5 as it was then I ask them to reprint me a new bill. There was an argument of course but they f**ked up when I show them the food set promotion in the menu list. I saved my 5 euro, I gave thanks with the waiter/manager and I left. :D This is one of the worst case I ever had in Europe :o.

I don't know they intented to cheat but if I didn't react then, I f**ked up as well isn't it? :D

Edited by thymode91

I can't beleive we're talking about "Peanut's" here. 140baht (£2) for chicken sticks

and 100baht (£1.50) for taxi in Pattaya.......I bought a shirt the other week in England for £30 and 2 weeks later they where in the sale at £15, now that's being ripped off by high street shops but big deal, that's life. As for the Taxi to Pattaya from BKK this one always amazes me. It's a 4-5 hour round trip and costs about 250-300baht in Tolls on the motorway. I usually pay 800baht from Pattaya to BKK or 1200baht from BKK to Pattaya for Taxi Meter and anything from 1,200-2,000 for Limo. I don't think that's being ripped off, I think it's good value. If you don't want to pay it, get on a crowded bus and pay 150baht

Mr BJ

I don't think he's too worried about the money, rather the humiliation of being taken for a ride. I think most of us have been in similar situations when we were new to Thailand.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but you'll learn how to handle these events in time, and remember 2 words "tourist police".

I can't believe the guy in the merc did that :o I dunno if I could have controled myself if someone did that to me, that's really bad.

Good luck!

Minimum fair in a taxi is 35B on the meter not 20B as mentioned in your story. If they refuse to put the meter on just get out. Toughen up a little or you'll get walked all over.

I agree, the money isn't really an issue, you would hav only been down like 5 quid or something, but being ripped off isn't a nice feeling when you trust someone.

I think you could have avoid being ripped off however, especially in the taxi and the bar... Just speak with them and tell them you're not paying for what you didn't ask for. I once got a bill in a beer bar for 2300 baht, I'd only had like 4 or 5 drinks... When they presented me with the bill I laughed, the bg's looked at one another and said 'ok, 500 baht' I still left them a 200 baht tip, I thought their attempt was comical, made me laugh.

Edited by Davey

....on the point of bar bills, me and a friend of mine were overcharged in Pattaya by a few hundred baht. I aksed for them to check the bill again and when they came back with the correct bill, the owner bought us both a drink to acknowledge the mistake.

The point being, don't just pay if you think there's been a genuine mistake or an attempt to try and rip you off, after all you wouldn't stand for it in your own country.

Mr BJ

I don't think he's too worried about the money, rather the humiliation of being taken for a ride. I think most of us have been in similar situations when we were new to Thailand.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but you'll learn how to handle these events in time, and remember 2 words "tourist police".

I can't believe the guy in the merc did that :o I dunno if I could have controled myself if someone did that to me, that's really bad.

Good luck!

First time I came to Thailand in 1989 with my girlfriend, we took a 10 baht tuk-tuk ride "back to our hotel", which took us to a gem shop instead. Uninterested in getting the "one day sale only, bargain of the century, guaranteed top quality gems", we walked out after 5 mins to find our tuk-tuk driver had vanished. :D

The shop was somewhere near the Asia Hotel, so we walked instead towards Siam Square. Hadn't gone 50 yards before a big, black BMW pulled up alongside and down went the electric window. Two rather large cops (in full regalia) were inside and one leaned out the window and said in broken English, "Hey you, where you go? We take you to great gem shop. Get velly cheap gems and jewelry. Special sale. today only. You must go. Please get in car. We take you there. Walking very dangerous in Bangkok. Many bad people. Get in car now and we take care of you. Get in!" The back door swung open invitingly............

We politely declined the offer and the nice officers drove off looking rather peeved. Not sure if they were tourist police or not, but its always reassuring to know there are such nice gentlemen around, so genuinely concerned with the safety and financial welfare of the new tourist in Bangkok, that they'll even save you the cost of a taxi ride to make sure you get a genuine bargain diamond ring. Don't miss this opportunity, if it ever comes your way Billyboy :D

The guy in the Merc was an A-hole. You get them everywhere. I have seen beggers in dirty clothes sitting in soiled sleeping bags get up and get into expensive cars after the shoppers disappear. I have seen beggars wearing good watches and £100 trainers. They can make a few hundred quid a day in the West End of London - and they chase away the real homeless with thuggery. :o

A Buddhist would say, you benefitted your Karma (gained merit) in giving to the needy in a sakeless act. He damaged his with improper thinking, speaking and actions (see the 8 noble truths). So, smile and wave (friendly) at/to him and show that you are unconcerned - it will make his mirth at you somewhat empty if he realises he didn't 'get one over on you', but simply met a kind man.

I think bars with girls are often places to take advantage of foreigners - whether in Pattaya or Soho (seedy bit of London). Extortionate prices etc, so beware. I always go drinking with Thai's in tow (or is it me in tow :D ). It is less likely to happen then. Failing that, take a girl in with you (that works elsewhere), that way you will not have to pay the bar for their 'services'. You can make the arrangements with the girl before hand if she is also in the tourist-entertainment proffesion.

Taxis. As always, Meter On. In BKK its the law, so if they refuse, get out. If they try to add on to it, start saying 'Tourist Police' a lot - BUT STAY COOL (having your wallet stung for a few quid is less painful than being stabbed/shot by a Yabba dosed ex-movie-extra (ain't all Cabbies in BKK ex-movie stars?) Cab driving physcho!!!! :D )

If all else fails - remember that immortal acronym - TiT (This Is Thailand) and shrug it off.

Edited by wolf5370

The shop was somewhere near the Asia Hotel, so we walked instead towards Siam Square. Hadn't gone 50 yards before a big, black BMW pulled up alongside and down went the electric window. Two rather large cops (in full regalia) were inside and one leaned out the window and said in broken English, "Hey you, where you go? We take you to great gem shop. Get velly cheap gems and jewelry. Special sale. today only. You must go. Please get in car. We take you there. Walking very dangerous in Bangkok. Many bad people. Get in car now and we take care of you. Get in!" The back door swung open invitingly............

We politely declined the offer and the nice officers drove off looking rather peeved. Not sure if they were tourist police or not, but its always reassuring to know there are such nice gentlemen around, so genuinely concerned with the safety and financial welfare of the new tourist in Bangkok, that they'll even save you the cost of a taxi ride to make sure you get a genuine bargain diamond ring. Don't miss this opportunity, if it ever comes your way Billyboy

For Christ's sake, dont tell him that, he'll probably PM you for their phone number for his next visit over. :o:D

Those are nickel and dime stuff. You were insulted more than ripped off. Even though you are very vulnerable as a tourist in a foreign country, fight back, beat them at their own game.

A classic for me happened a few years ago. Friends came over from the UK and were staying at The Oriental. I came up to BKK to meet them for a meal on their last night. Needless to say I wasn't staying at that hotel.

We went around the corner to the restaurant in a tuk tuk and I paid 75 Baht as asked for. When the wife asked me the price, she went straight over to the driver, argued a bit and came back and gave me 20 Baht change.

I guess that's why she's a top executive in her business in London and I'm here?

Everyone's happy.

I think posters all touching on an important point here. Although it's a foreign country it doesn't mean you have no power and are vunerable all the time.

Many a time when I have had trouble with someone trying to rip me off I've said something as simple as "No problem, lets call the police and sort it out" and thats been the end of it, because at the end of the day your in the right, they are in the wrong and just because they are Thai they do not have any power over you and many will dissapear when you mention the police as they know they are going to be in for a quick fine themselves.

You can stick up for yourself in these situations, and you don't have to pay when your ripped off or just because some Thi guy raises their voice to you and demands money. As someone said, you wouldn't let it happen in your own country so why let it happen here.

I would seriously think about getting the tattoo removed from your forehead. :o

Just going by your handle, are you from Singapore? :D

Billy boy,

Just don't tell me your one of those Englishmen or Ozzies (haven't yet heard about such a gullible American-though not sayin there isn't any) that sponsors a bar girl in Cha Ahm or Pataya with monthly checks from overseas thinking that girl has quit the business. Cause if you are...you might be getting ripped off again

Hey mate,

I think you need to develop a bit of healthy cynicism.

When people "try one on", just laugh or ignore them and leave - but NEVER get into a fight or an argument with the Thais - it's seriously not a good idea as you never know when they will suddenly "snap".

Thais are very friendly people and generally easy to get along with, but if you make them "lose face" or you show your own vulnerability by getting angry in public, they may also go right over the top and turn very nasty over seemingly nothing.

Mr BJ

It may be peanuts (Western money) but he's still being ripped off. He's not disputing the 1,200 baht fare, it's the underhand techniques of the taxi driver getting easy money. You have to stop thinking in terms of Western money versus Thai. It is big money, relatively, going down the drain. BTW, the tolls are more like 120-150.

Billy Boy, you need to toughen up ol' mate, not to the extent of walking around with a scowl on your face but think things through a bit more and don't think everyone is nice. It may be the los but they're not all smiling on the inside and will easily catch you off guard.

Billy, is that flag an indication of your heritage?

If so, or even if not, welcome to thaivisa and thailand mate.

Don't worry too much about the negative comments, i am sure your on top of things. These things do not happen in Sinny, or Perth (Toodyay) where I am from, however it is endemic in countries like this.

I work in a former soviet country, and the other night I was at the pub (the same pub I have been going to every night for over 18 months) and asked for my bill, when i got it I found I was US$62 over what I had actually drunk. A beer here costs US$2 at the pub, a third of that from the shop.

It turned out a couple of ladies told to staff their drinks were on me.

som nam na

They lost one of their best customers. :o

Perhaps we can meet up for a beer oneday mate, I live not too far from pattaya.

Cheers