Air Asia Bkk-kul-bne...

Thai Chi

I have a need to travel back to Brisbane in the next week or so.

I am looking at one-way flights and the difference between the major carriers and Air Asia is HUGE !!! (11,000 baht V 22,000 baht)

I am aware of the restrictions and additional costs that Air Asia have in place for baggage / food / etc etc...

I have found a couple of well timed flights that would see me on the ground in KUL for less than 3 hours.

Q1 - has anyone experience of transferring from the BKK flight to the BNE (Gold coast actually) or other Australian destination?

I am assuming different gates in possible different terminals ?? Hard to get around as in getting lost ?? :) What is KUL airport like for a short transit ??

Q2 - On line bookings ... whilst the Air Asia website looks pretty straight forward, I will have to book the 2 sectors at the same time ?? What happens if after booking and paying the BKK - KUL leg there is no seats available to BNE ??? Or am I missing something on the booking page ???

All and any help appreciated :D

AirAsia flights in/out of KL use the LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal) which is about 20 km by road from the KUL international terminal. Arrival into the KL-LCCT requires going through Immigration, which can have long lines (I have bee in some over 1 hour). Then you have to gather your luggage and check into the Oz flight. As it's AirAsia it is still the LCCT but note that there is NO transit lounge, just a middling large terminal with minimal seating and food places. After checking in you have to go through Immigration to leave, usually not as bad as the arrivals. Overall it's a major hassle. Is 3 hours enough? Should be but maybe not. 2 hours would really be pushing. Note that the LCCT is quite confusing re checkin counters and signage.

Hey man, no problem.

I transit thru KL_LCC regularly, great little airport.

3 hours is heaps of time normally.

Get your check in done ASAP.

Do not hang around, get thru immigration and into departure lounge where there is comfortable seats.

Lotsa food outlets too.

Booking 2 flights not a problem.

Book as early as you are able.

Simple process is to open 2 Air Asia booking sitespages.

Make your bookings up to the pay stage where the seats will be confirmed for each flight.

Then pay if all is as you wish..

Simple as.

Love Air Asia.

Edited by Zpete

It's exactly as Zpete says.

The only thing I'll add is that if you get thru immigration into Malaysia quickly and have time to kill, there is a food court just outside the LCCT terminal. Just go past the buses to downtown KL. It's all local food at local prices and most of it is very good.

Thanks Guys. I think that covers just about everything I was unsure of (good and bad)

Stumbled across another option with a possible good outcome.....

Virgin Blue from Phuket DIRECT to BNE on certain days .... One Way ..... 11745 Bht including taxes

Trying to find a beer is hard work, finally found a minimart called 'The Emporium' with a fridge down the back. Bought a few coldies and sat at a table at McDonalds and drank them. No one seemed to care and I soon was accompanied by others who I pointed in the right direction. Had 4 hours to kill on the flight from OOL.

Will definately pass on my thoughts and observations after the trip :D

Just thought of another couple of questions ?????

1. What currency is accepted in KL (LCCT) at food outlet / mini marts etc etc ???

2. Using Air Asia I am assuming I will have to retrieve my checked in baggage at KL and re-check it in for the flight to OZ ???

Any experiences there guys :)

1. What currency is accepted in KL (LCCT) at food outlet / mini marts etc etc ??? Ringit, there's exchange places in the terminal (one outlet also sells phone cards for use in the public phones, nice and cheap)

2. Using Air Asia I am assuming I will have to retrieve my checked in baggage at KL and re-check it in for the flight to OZ ??? Yep, Air Asia is a point to point airline, they don't regard your 2 flights as connecting flights so you have to get your bags and re-check them in even if both your flights are theirs.

I didn't experience any problems, everyone I needed to speak to was helpful and spoke English, others have mentioned the food hall outside the main terminal, have to agree, if you've got an hour or so you can sit in there, have something ok to eat, charge your phone/ipod/laptop whatever. I thought LCCT was pretty cool, for an airport.

Edited by bifftastic

It's exactly as Zpete says.

The only thing I'll add is that if you get thru immigration into Malaysia quickly and have time to kill, there is a food court just outside the LCCT terminal. Just go past the buses to downtown KL. It's all local food at local prices and most of it is very good.

Yeah, I agree with you there, but watch the time.

Mind you I like to have my repast at "The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf", lot closer.

Good tukka and coffee etc.

Plenty of sockets to plug in my laptop.

Malaysia is out of step with the rest of S.E.A., BIG EUROPEAN/UK SOCKETS.

49 Ringitt at bookstore for an adapter that will work in any country, "Slazenger" brand, great buy.

1. What currency is accepted in KL (LCCT) at food outlet / mini marts etc etc ???

2. Using Air Asia I am assuming I will have to retrieve my checked in baggage at KL and re-check it in for the flight to OZ ???

Malaysian Ringitt (1 MYR = 10 THB)

Not sure about Air Asia's policy on checking through bags, most airlines even when different sectors are with rival airlines but normally the entire trip is on the same ticket, ie you book yourself right through from Bangkok to Brisbane its an IATA regulation.

I'd plan for a longer transit time at KL ie. 4-5 hours.

More than likely 3 hours would be enough but 5 hours gives u plenty of time for delays on the first flight.

And AA flights can sometimes run late, the later in the day the flight is scheduled to leave.

AA are very strict on the check in time of 60 mins (AirAsiaX flights) & 45 mins (AA flights) before SCHEDULED departure time. One minute late and u do your dough and have to purchase another ticket probably at their full fare.

Very good point knocka ..... and even Air Asia call centre say the same thing :)

Gave them a quick call yesterday to confirm a few things in regards to using my visa card. The gentleman I spoke to was adamant that 3 hours whilst possible was often just not enough time.

He actually suggested to wait for a couple of hours and re-check the fares on-line. Lo and behold an earlier flight to Kl that I was looking at had dropped in price by 700 bht :D

Impressed with their customer service thus far ..... just hope the trip goes as well :D

As above, MYR, but if you don't want to change any money, at least some outlets (or, at least, the laksa place I went to) take credit cards.

As no-one else has mentioned it, AirAsia doesn't fly to Brisbane, it flies to the Gold Coast (Coolangatta). Public transport into Brisbane is difficult, requiring a bus to Robina and then taking the train into Brisbane. Alternatively AirAsia has a connecting bus into Brisbane, but it's expensive at $AU38.

Also consider that if AirAsia cancels or badly delays your flight into KUL, you'll have done your dough for the KUL-OOL leg. Willing to take the risk?

Some good points someoneelse. Although i did mention The Gold coast as the flight destination in the 1st post.

I am actually better going to OOL (Coolangatta Airport) as i will only be travelling up to Beenleigh. ($8 bus and train)

I take your last point and agree. So I am now looking at an even earlier flight out of BKK. This will also work out better as I am coming down to BKK via bus that arrives there quite early AM.

Well I hope this is not a sign of things to come on this trip ................

Got all set up on the computer to book both legs at the same. Took an age to fill in all the required information twice.

Seats available on both flights ....great :D

Upsized the luggage .....great :D

Booked a meal for the KUL - OOL leg ....great :D

I even took the travel insurance ......great :D

Total all up cost was 12308 bht .......great :D

Confirmed everything and went to the last part to pay and filled it all in right down to my card expiery date...... not so great :D

My Thai Visa debit card does not expire until the 12 / 2024 !!!!!!!!! :)

The online booking only accepts dates up to 2020.

As my Australian Visa Debit card has just expired and the new one is still in Oz (although I do have all the details from it) I am not sure if it would be a good idea to use it for this transaction. Just in case someone asked for it at check-in.

Or does that only apply to CREDIT CARDS ???

Anyway .... I will put plan B into effect, as soon as i can work out what plan B is :D

I got screwed around trying to book a flt to UT, in the end, I gave up on the website and booked by phone.

Which Aus bank issues a debit card with such a long life?

Edited by GungaDin

I got screwed around trying to book a flt to UT, in the end, I gave up on the website and booked by phone.

I wish my Oz debit card had such a long shelf life GungaDin.

Its my Thai Bank of Ayudhya card that has the crazy exp date.

Had it for at least 5 years already and still 14 to go :) So maybe a 20 yr card !!!!

Going to the bank today and will try to change it for something a little more realistic.

I wish my Oz debit card had such a long shelf life GungaDin.

Its my Thai Bank of Ayudhya card that has the crazy exp date.

Had it for at least 5 years already and still 14 to go :) So maybe a 20 yr card !!!!

Going to the bank today and will try to change it for something a little more realistic.

I wish I could send my PPort with you too,

it would save me $1200.00 Bloody ridiculous! No where to stay except crappy motels at $120.00 a night..... Grrrr.

Rant over..

:D

Finally confirmed flights today.... what a pain in the a55!!!

I tried to use my new Thai visa debit card and it was declined. Same same with my Aussie visa debit (which I have used on numerous occasions with Thai Air and Singapore without any dramas)

Ended up calling the Airasia call centre and they booked for me. Downside was that I couldnt get the cheap internet prices :)

Strange thing was that the KUL - OOL sector ended up cheaper than the internet price ????????

BKK - KUL was 1400 bht more :D

The call center said (their words) that Airasia does not accept DEBIT cards unless it is with Siam Commercial Bank ???? Any CREDIT Card is OK though.

I ended up paying 11414 BHT (paid in 7 - 11 shop :D) instead of 10123 bht via the online booking.

Still reasonably cheap compared to some of the Majors.

My take on Air Asia is single leg flights are great add a transfer and they turn into a mess, I used them maybe 4 times G/C-KL-Bkk and its was great but man when it went south it did in a big way.

Started with the plane leaving Gold Coast late, I asked the chick at the counter is there going to be a problem with the connection(31/2 Hrs transit) She assured me no problems, get to KL and they close the gate on BKK and would not accept us, so we had to buy two new tickets and pay over the top for them.

When I get home i chased them up about the service emailed them tickets and plenty of details about 3 times offering them a few suggestions on there crap service, followed by two follow up phone calls. They did not bother getting back to us and I won't use them again.

When things go wrong it can cost you a fortune and they don't give a Sh*t, my advice is to fly qantas or british air they are not a lot dearer then Air asia and they are full service outfits.

Rick75 .... What happened to you was one of my own fears. Getting to KUL and missing the OOL connection.

On the advice of both members here on TV and Airasia customer service I have allowed a 6 Hr gap between arrival and departure in KUL ......

.......... will it be enough :) I hope so.

Trip report to follow next week sometime (if I get there :D)

Rick75 .... What happened to you was one of my own fears. Getting to KUL and missing the OOL connection.

On the advice of both members here on TV and Airasia customer service I have allowed a 6 Hr gap between arrival and departure in KUL ......

.......... will it be enough :D I hope so.

Trip report to follow next week sometime (if I get there :D)

Thai Chi, please bring back a bag of Lemons so I can show Thais what a lemon looks like! :)

Funnily enough GungaDin, I will be visiting an friend who owns a citrus farm.

What sort would you like ?

Eureka, Lisbon, Meyer, Limetta, Avon, Bearss, Villafranca or Dorshapo :D

Mind you, you will have to wait for a year or so :)