Change From Non-b To Non-o Spouse Visa

I plan to quit work and move to another place in Thailand. I want to change my Non-B visa to a Non-O Spouse-- but I want to do this before I quit work. When I quit work, I want to go back to my family in my wife's village. I don't want to have to immediately leave the country because my Non-B is no longer valid and screw around trying to get a visa to get back in the country in order to be with my wife, son, and family.

I will soon have some time to travel to Singapore or Malaysia to get this done. What process do I need to follow?

If I was in American, the Thai Consulate where I lived would simply issue me a 90 day Non-O Spouse by just submitting my marriage certificate (I've already checked this out). Then, of course, I'd have to apply for the extension once I'm back in Thailand with the requisite 400K baht in the bank (for two months), and whatever documents (pictures, maps, etc) the provincial immigration office wants me to have (they all seem to have their own rules). However, it's not cost effective to travel all the way back to the U.S. just to get a visa stamp.

So, can I pretty much go down to the Thai Consulates in either Malaysia or Singapore with my marriage certificate (and wife) and get my Non-B changed to a Non-O Spouse -- just like I can in American. Or is it going to be more complicated than that?

Thanks!

Copy of marriage certificate and ID card of wife should get a single entry most places. Best to also have letter from wife asking for the visa to be issued in the unlikely event it is asked for (some people had a wife but have long gone other ways so they try to check that sometimes).

If wife is with you, as you seem to indicate, so much the better.

Depends on some factors...

Do you currently have a multiple re-entry permit (the one you buy at immigration for 3800 Baht)?

If so, an embassy/consulate might refuse to issue you with a different visa based on the fact that you still have a valid entry option. Additionally, immigration will likely stamp you back in on your re-entry permit instead of on the new visa!

If not (no valid re-entry permit), then yes, a trip abroad which will cancel your non immigrant B status, then apply non-O visa, re-enter Thailand on new visa and then extend based on marriage.

The normal in-country procedure would be to just apply for an extension based on marriage while here in Thailand, but this would have to be done in the last 30 days of your current stay.