Phuket Tuk-Tuk Drivers Get Driving Lessons

webfact

Patong tuk-tuk drivers get driving lessons

gallery_327_1086_18042.jpg

PTF President Preechavude Keesin (purple shirt) at the training session last Saturday.

PATONG: -- Yes, the headline is correct. In hopes of boosting the image of public transport in Patong, the newly-launched Patong Taxi Federation (PTF) saw its first 80 members complete a driver’s training course on May 8 at the Phuket Land Transport Office.

Preechavude Keesin, president of the PTF and son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, oversaw the training, which consisted of sessions on driving and traffic law, along with physical check-ups and background checks to ensure members meet the Federation’s standards.

The PTF, established in February this year, now has over 1,000 members from six groups and represents around 70% of all taxis, tuk-tuks, motorcycle taxis and automobile rental companies in Patong.

The goal of the PTF is to coordinate roles among transportation providers, establish uniform rules and clean up the negative image held by many tourists of Patong transport, Mr Preechavude said.

“Before, these companies did not work together, but from now on we will cooperate instead of fighting with each other and make sure everything is fair and that no-one takes advantage of tourists,” he said.

“We plan to fix standard prices and post them so there is no question as to the cost of our services. Before it was up to the individual driver to negotiate fares,” said Mr Preechavude.

The PTF is also working with police to combat crime.

“If there is a crime committed, members of the PTF are a good source of information for the police, as we work in this area and know it well. For example, we can be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles or people,” he said.

His first plan of action as president of the federation is to coordinate with the police, tourists and automobile rental companies to clearly delineate which areas along the beach road are for rental companies and which are for public parking, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-05-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

“If there is a crime committed, members of the PTF are a good source of information for the police, as we work in this area and know it well. For example, we can be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles or people,” he said.

Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah !

Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah !

Ah, the local mafia's are growing to in a Provincial one! Sorry, I'm a t bit of a cynic! But really I hope they clean up their image and become a good part of Phuket. Yea, sure! lol. We don't have many Tuk-Tuks here, thank you very much! I never have a problem with them, except when they try to go up a hill in front of me! :)

I feel sorry for the tourist being notoriously ripped off by taxi drivers in Phuket, for many it is a good enough reason not to come to the island ever again. Local government obviously does not care to implement some taximeter system to ensure that tourists are not ripped off. If you do not have your own vehicle on the island you are in really trouble. That is the side of Thailand I hate, overcharging tourists.

The only possible thing missing from this seemingly 'positive step forward' is that foreign driving instructors may not have been used to teach the Tuk Tuk drivers. Australian &/or British driving instructors would have been adviseable.

I'll hazard a guess & suggest that Thai driving instructors were used, which may not be a good thing.

I wonder if they showed any 'road safety' movies? I remember long ago when I joined the RAAF, I was shown a number of highly graphic road safety movies, as well as many other highly graphic 'work safety' movies. These movies certainly helped me to 'think'.

Then again, I refuse to be culturally indoctrinated & therefore am able to 'freely think'.

Edited by elkangorito

This would be good laugh it it wasn't so sad. Will of course change nothing. A decent attempt at PR by the PTF though. May help their image towards those that are uninformed.

What driving instructors they use is irrelevant. There is currently little to no enforcement of the traffic violations that cause the carnage. Violations such as speeding, red light runing, following too close, unsafe overtakeing/undertaking, and properly maintained and safe vehicles. Until this happens, things will not change a bit. The taxi's and tuk tuks all pay for protection so they drive with impunity. A 200-500 baht fine is not much of a deterrent anyway.

No need for a gory accident video. Anyone with any time behind the wheel in Thailand has seen firsthand the carnage and destruction caused by the insane drivers in Thailand. A mate of mine was forced to go back home because he couldn't handle having seen a young girl get eviscerated under the wheels of an 18-wheeler in front of Central.

I want to know did they also instruct the tuk tuk and taxi drivers on the "safe" way to beat-up any driver who wishes to start a baht bus between Patong-Kata/Karon?

What's the PTF's position on 20 tuk tuk drivers beating senseless 2 tourists on Bangla Road as my mates and I witnessed last month but the police have denied having happened?

Perhaps a lesson on firearm safety would be more useful? They are known to brandish weapons if they get into even a minor dispute with a foreigner.

What a pathetic joke.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

"Before, these companies did not work together, but from now on we will cooperate instead of fighting with each other and make sure everything is fair and that no-one takes advantage of tourists,” he said.

“We plan to fix standard prices and post them so there is no question as to the cost of our services. Before it was up to the individual driver to negotiate fares,” said Mr Preechavude."

I will translate this in the most basic terms:

Before, there was some competition which created problems for us and we did not make enough to satisfy our greedy desires. Now, we will engage in price fixing, effectively control all the tuk-tuks and taxis and create a monopoly that will enable us to charge whatever we want.  

Before, there was some competition which created problems for us and we did not make enough to satisfy our greedy desires. Now, we will engage in price fixing, effectively control all the tuk-tuks and taxis and create a monopoly that will enable us to charge whatever we want.  

In the words of 'Meatloaf', "You took the words right out of my mouth..." :)

"Preechavude Keesin, president of the PTF and son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin"

That says it all. The president of the PTF is the mayor's son.

This is the root of Thailand's problems.

Need I say more?

Agree,

Many honest people in Pty,try to change the taxi-maffia,but this will never happen,because;

Taxi-coop in Pty,Chairman,head of Traffic-Police,member of Pty Municipality! Mayor I,brother of the Governor of Chon Buri!

Members of the [in]famous K. family,who''s Father lives some-where in Cambodia,on the run for corruption!

As you now,that every taxi[750] brings 1200 Baht every-day,I have to tell you more?

T.I.T

This would be good laugh it it wasn't so sad. Will of course change nothing. A decent attempt at PR by the PTF though. May help their image towards those that are uninformed.

What driving instructors they use is irrelevant. There is currently little to no enforcement of the traffic violations that cause the carnage. Violations such as speeding, red light runing, following too close, unsafe overtakeing/undertaking, and properly maintained and safe vehicles. Until this happens, things will not change a bit. The taxi's and tuk tuks all pay for protection so they drive with impunity. A 200-500 baht fine is not much of a deterrent anyway.

No need for a gory accident video. Anyone with any time behind the wheel in Thailand has seen firsthand the carnage and destruction caused by the insane drivers in Thailand. A mate of mine was forced to go back home because he couldn't handle having seen a young girl get eviscerated under the wheels of an 18-wheeler in front of Central.

I want to know did they also instruct the tuk tuk and taxi drivers on the "safe" way to beat-up any driver who wishes to start a baht bus between Patong-Kata/Karon?

What's the PTF's position on 20 tuk tuk drivers beating senseless 2 tourists on Bangla Road as my mates and I witnessed last month but the police have denied having happened?

Perhaps a lesson on firearm safety would be more useful? They are known to brandish weapons if they get into even a minor dispute with a foreigner.

What a pathetic joke.

:D caused by the insane drivers in Thailand. A mate of mine was forced to go back home because he couldn't handle having seen a young girl get eviscerated under the wheels of an 18-wheeler in front of Central.wheewee guy..so nought happens the same ''back home'' wakey-wakey .any country anywere has accidence even those with every conceivable ''safety device'' nown to man!

You have been on this on far two long maybe you arre the guy what wantsto start up you own baht-bus service it seams to be a major thorn in you side of a guy who do not even use pubic transports; :)

Maybee you and mates :D or even :D where are the suposed victims?

If that had of been me a victim iwood be screamin an yelling at media and publicly!but i see nought anywere Not saying that you have a ajenda but wheewee guy you shore do pop up and spout every case on tuks tuks. :D for you live and let- live this artical may be PR work but at least someone is acklowleging a problem exists. it will not change in you livetime guy . go back home with yer mate if all is to much for you and you want all the cotton-wool lifestile.TIT. always will be ''different'' thats whats so good about living here, :D

[/size]

spacer.gif

Edited by khunbrookes

requiring them to take a drug test ( piss) before going on shift would probably eliminate over 80% of the drivers

Or a breath test. Look at any tuk tuk stand. It's littered with beer cans. They are all drinking while waiting for a fare!!!

What a pathetic joke.

The PTF is run and organised by the PATONG...familly...whats going to happen for the training for the other 900 tuk tuks

this familly control patong...good luck GOVERNOR...you need it.....