Playing Movies Thru A Usb Port

RickSee

I recently "inherited" two older DVD players. One has a USB port, thru which I can play movies loaded on a pen drive thru the connected TV. The 2nd DVD does not have the USB port. As I mainly want to play thru the USB, are there low cost machines avail in BKK to allow me to do his (don't really need the DVD capability)?

Also, is it possible to load several movies on, say, a detachable HD to then connect thru the USB port for a wider selection of movie choices immediately at hand? thanks, RS

Ricksee, cheap dvd players with a USB port are readily available, I have seen them here (pattaya) at Carrefour for as little as 650baht, Im sure you can find something similar in Bangkok.

As for loading movies onto an external HDD, In theory this is possible, from past experience however the DVD players seem to be limited as to how many files it will recognise, the other issue is power, I have found DVD players do not like smaller USB powered 2.5" HDD's as they dont appear to put out enough voltage from the USB port, I would recommend an externally powered HDD.

And remember both thumb drives and Hdd must be formatted in FAT/FAT32 to be read.

Old DVD players don't play new versions of DVIX XVID codecs and for sure MKV/H264 hd files.

Many DVD USB ports don't have enough energy to feed an USB powered 2.5" HDD and could be not able to read big file directories.

Old DVD with USB ports could also not recognize the biggest thumb drives, as 16Gb and 32 Gb

Crossy, do you have one of those HDD players, If so whats your opinion of them, the two Ive had a terrible GUI and performed poorly.

The original one I bought a couple of years back (IDE) worked well.

The later (SATA) one I have works OK on SD stuff but I agree, the GUI takes some getting used to. My main reason for buying it was portability when travelling (plug into hotel TV), it's saved my sanity in India.

So long as you don't have lots of files they work well enough and it's supposed to work without a HDD (not tried it) so it would do exactly what the OP wants.

There are several look-alike units, the D-Tech ones seem to work best.

they are cheap but the usb function is not always the best not sure if its the format our player our pen drive speed which is something you should bear in mind i have 3 here in the house and tend to burn movies 5 at a time to a re recordable dvd as data files really easy and plays spot on most times

Thanks all for the helpful replies. Re the "HDD Player" mentioned by Crossy, would this also allow the user to see the content of the drive on the TV screen and then permit file selection thru a remote controller - much like is possible with the DVD with the USB port? RS

With my Sumvision cyclone unit, I have a 1 Terrabyte HDD attached to it, I can view movies (almost every format), play music, view photos. The GUI is very quick and easy to use. This unit will also upscale to 1080P. This unit is also very small in size 50x50x12 mm

http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/productinfo/cy...cyclonemkv.html

and the cost less than £25, there are sellers on ebay that will ship to Thailand

I think you are muddling memory limits with Hard disks.

I have hard disks well over 4 Gb formatted with FAT32.

The individual file size on FAT32 can not be greater than 4gb, of course you can have FAT32 volumes greater than 4gb. But if a blu-ray avi is 7.9gb FAT32 is a no go unless you split the avi container into two.

USB can be formatted with NTFS but wont be read by most cheap DVD players.

DivX < 1gb movies seem to play flawless on cheap USB DVD on USB FAT32 stick. Anything higher seem to have a higher bitrate which the tiny embedded processor cant decode in time.