Is it possible for farang to get an interest on the baht on a bank account that is at least in the vicinity of Thai inflation?

The closest I've come is a Savings Account that pays 0,75%...

Any ideas on where the baht is going in relation to farang money like USD and Euro considering the revaluation of the yuan/renmimbi, climbing inflation in Thailand, a slowing economy here, steep oil prices and the rest of it?

I've just checked my bank (Bangkok Bank) and you're right. The best interest rate they offer is 1.25% for 24 month fixed deposits.

Regular savings accounts are 0.75% (3,750 baht interest per year, on a 500,000 baht deposit) !

Wow, I checked my bank in Canada. A whole 0.00% if you have an average balance below $5,000 Cdn. A balance of $5-25,000 earns you 0.50%.

Checked my May statement. Earned a grand total of $0.02 in interest !

Things ain't like they used to be, that's for sure.

If you are patient it would appear that Thai interest rates are up an uptrend.Once Thaksin has borrowed all he needs there wont be any spare dosh left in the system and so rates will have to rise to encourage funds to switch.Also rates are rising to control Thai inflation,25 basis points on Thursday last.

Is it possible for farang to get an interest on the baht on a bank account that is at least in the vicinity of Thai inflation?

The closest I've come is a Savings Account that pays 0,75%...

Any ideas on where the baht is going in relation to farang money like USD and Euro considering the revaluation of the yuan/renmimbi, climbing inflation in Thailand, a slowing economy here, steep oil prices and the rest of it?

read the thread "Thai girl with money to invest"