Can My Wife Travel Back To Thailand In The First 2 Years?

Hello,

Can my wife travel back to Thailand in the first 2 years on visa 309? My wife arrived in febuary this year, and we planned to go back next year for Songkran.

But recently a few people have told me that she will not be able to travel out of Australia until her 2 years provisional 309 visa has run out.

This is on her visa label:

GRANTED 26 JAN 10. HOLDERS PERMITTED TO TRAVEL TO AND REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA UNTIL NOTIFIED THAT THE PERMANENT VISA APPLICATION HAS BEEN DECIDED OR UNTIL THE PERMANENT VISA APPLICATION IS WITHDRAWN. MULTIPLE TRAVEL.

note that "MULTIPLE TRAVEL is the last two words.

Thanks, Luke.

If it is like Canada, 'reentry not permitted' any return would mean having to apply again. However, if I remember correctly, a 'permit' could be obtained for funerals and such.

Just call you Member Of Parliaments office to ask it you can get a 'permit' for an ailing mother.

[As for you, can you get travel insurance right now???]

She can have multiple travel while on the 309 visa......no problems.....

However when the paperwork is lodged for the permanant visa and she wants to travel then it would be advisable to get a letter from the second stage processing centre to explain the situation especially if the application for the permanant visa is not processed and the 2 year visa is due to run out...

For instance....my wifes 309 was due to run out in December 2009, we planned a holiday for late December, I contacted the SSPC and they said that they would give a covering letter to prevent any hassles on re entry....my concern was that there could be a problem if the 2 year period elapsed while she was O/S and the permanat visa process was incomplete. As it was she got the permanant visa well before the 309 visa had elapsed.

However when the paperwork is lodged for the permanant visa and she wants to travel then it would be advisable to get a letter from the second stage processing centre to explain the situation especially if the application for the permanant visa is not processed and the 2 year visa is due to run out...

For instance....my wifes 309 was due to run out in December 2009, we planned a holiday for late December, I contacted the SSPC and they said that they would give a covering letter to prevent any hassles on re entry....my concern was that there could be a problem if the 2 year period elapsed while she was O/S and the permanat visa process was incomplete. As it was she got the permanant visa well before the 309 visa had elapsed.

It's not necessary to get a covering letter.

The 309 visa doesn't run out and has no expiry

date.

It remains valid until a decision is made on the

permanent visa which is usually around 2 years.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

date.

Regards

Will

Correct Will, the 309 has no expiry

date.

Regards

Will

Thats right Will it doesnt expire until a decision is made.......and if the process is incomplete it should show up when the passport is presented. But as we know, sometimes it doesnt always work the way it should.

Some Hungarian friends of mine were granted in March 2008 and have not received the paperwork for the second stage as yet., they are going back to Hungary for a holiday next week. They have contacted the Second Stage Processing centre and were told that it would be sent out within a week....they are still waiting 4 weeks later and have contacted them again and were told that a covering letter would not be given, needless to say they are concerned about this. I have told them that they should be ok as it will show up on the computers.....unless of course the computers go down and thats why I insisted on a covering letter when I rang them about my wifes application.

date.

Regards

Will

Thats right Will it doesnt expire until a decision is made.......and if the process is incomplete it should show up when the passport is presented. But as we know, sometimes it doesnt always work the way it should.

Some Hungarian friends of mine were granted in March 2008 and have not received the paperwork for the second stage as yet., they are going back to Hungary for a holiday next week. They have contacted the Second Stage Processing centre and were told that it would be sent out within a week....they are still waiting 4 weeks later and have contacted them again and were told that a covering letter would not be given, needless to say they are concerned about this. I have told them that they should be ok as it will show up on the computers.....unless of course the computers go down and thats why I insisted on a covering letter when I rang them about my wifes application.

The trouble with that methodology, is that you create extra work for an area

which is already already snowed under, causing further delays.

Even if the computers go down, you still get processed.

And they'd have a valid visa in their passport.

I imagine you probably concerned your Hungarian friends with your

incorrect information. Although you had the right intent, it was incorrect

and probably caused them undue concern.

I understand your concerns but sometimes people who are overly cautious

or constantly worry, cause further delays. I'm surprised you were given

a "covering letter".

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

a "covering letter".

Regards

Will

Will,

A covering letter would not create a lot of extra work.

A valid paper visa in the passport will only show the date the visa was granted.....not if the process was completed and the 100 visa approved. In the event of the computers going down, that information would not be available to the Officers on the floor....remember the Qantas fiasco late last year??

Stop imagining....I told my friends that they should be ok as it would show up on the computers, where is that incorrect? They came to me because they were concerned by the inactivity from the SSPC and they knew that my wife and stepson had been through the process.

Who was overly worried or cautious....There is nothing wrong in covering the bases to prevent potential problems.

a "covering letter".

Regards

Will

Will,

A covering letter would not create a lot of extra work.

A valid paper visa in the passport will only show the date the visa was granted.....not if the process was completed and the 100 visa approved. In the event of the computers going down, that information would not be available to the Officers on the floor....remember the Qantas fiasco late last year??

Stop imagining....I told my friends that they should be ok as it would show up on the computers, where is that incorrect? They came to me because they were concerned by the inactivity from the SSPC and they knew that my wife and stepson had been through the process.

Who was overly worried or cautious....There is nothing wrong in covering the bases to prevent potential problems.

I take it you have never worked in a processing area?

You've said 'you insisted on a letter". So there's the initial

phone call (I assume there was only one), plus the writing

and sending of a non-standard letter. There is a reason DIAC

ask not to contact them.

"A valid paper visa in the passport will only show the date the visa was granted.....not if the process was completed and the 100 visa approved."

That's all you need mate, a valid visa. The process does not have to be completed,

I've told you that.

And I guess you didn't tell your friends about the covering letter either??

I know there's nothing wrong with covering your bases,

but so many "if's". What if the computers go down?"

And if there are any major concerns, DIAC can always

contact Entry Operations to confirm.

I stand by what I said, you create(ed) unnecessary work.

Let's agree to disagree shall we?

Regards

Will

ask not to contact them.

"A valid paper visa in the passport will only show the date the visa was granted.....not if the process was completed and the 100 visa approved."

That's all you need mate, a valid visa. The process does not have to be completed,

I've told you that.

Regards

Will

Agree to disagree....certainly

I see a few cases of "I take it that" "I assume" "I imagine you" and "I guess" in your posts......it worries me when I see that :)

But lets go back to Qantas......Aussie passport holders were fine......those with Foreign passports experienced huge delays because the immigration staff at the airport could not confirm the status of the incoming passengers by their passports alone.

And now that the DIAC no longer issues sub class 100 paper visas for the passports, relying on the computer system instead, I can see problems in the future as well.

The other point that I would like to make about going on holidays during the processing time is .......What happens if the applicant goes on holiday after submitting the application and the 100 visa is rejected while the applicant is O/S? Would that not mean that the applicant would be refused entry on their return to Oz? Hel_l of a shock for those involved.

I guess scenarios do happen from time to time.

Edited by gburns57au

ask not to contact them.

I've told you that.

Regards

Will

Agree to disagree....certainly

I see a few cases of "I take it that" "I assume" and "I guess" in your post......

But lets go back to Qantas......Aussie passport holders were fine......those with Foreign passports experienced huge delays because the immigration staff at the airport could not confirm the status of the incoming passengers by their passports alone.

And now that the DIAC no longer issues sub class 100 paper visas for the passports, relying on the computer system instead, I can see problems in the future as well.

The other point that I would like to make about going on holidays during the processing time is .......What happens if the applicant goes on holiday after submitting the application and the 100 visa is rejected while the applicant is O/S? Would that not mean that the applicant would be refused entry on their return to Oz? hel_l of a shock for those involved.

I guess scenarios do happen from time to time.

And IF my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Let DIAC know that you will be travelling out of Australia and if it is before you enter the second stage of processing for the 100 visa they will enter this information into their database, DIAC need to know your current address and telephone number so they can contact you. If you are expecting your 100 visa (applicant) it may be prudent not to travel until it is received.

My wife and I returned to Thailand on multiple occasions whilst she had this visa. The only thing they ask for is notification in writing (they will add it to the case file). E-Mail was Ok. You need to have the case number (and passport number) for reference. All this is written in the booklet (available on the DIMA website).

The only thing that may be needed athe the second stage is another Police clearance and a medical (if spent over 3 months in total).

Edited by Artfullmover