Clashes Continue, Turning Central Bangkok In Virtual Warzone

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the FARANG tourists that you seem to dislike so much- they prop up the economy in this country, without them the economy will crash imo.

You seem to thing that Tourism is the main source of income for thais. Its not. Remove yourself from Tourist Thailand and go check the rest of it out......tourist schmourist.

:)

Try to think past sexpats going to Pattaya, tourists come from all over the world, go to all parts of the country, and come for all sorts of reasons (e.g., medical tourists).

Tourism and industries supporting tourism and the money from it account for a significant part of the Thai economy. The knock on effect of reduced tourism in supporting industries is potentially devastating, from the guy who sells diesel to people running the laundry service to those that fit mosquito screens in serviced apartments. It effects everyone.

Grumpy old lonesome farang Tourists? It is about the farangs who spreading here their hate at TVF. If these Farangs, who do nothing else than begging for violence and bloodshed, shut up and GO HOME Thailand would be better of and miss nothing.

I am seeing these reports and videos of "hundreds" of bullets being fired. I saw one video of a soldier replacing his empty magazine with another. Doesn't it seem the reported deaths and injuries are very low for all this shooting? Are these guys the worst shots in the world or is something else going on? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see more people being shot, but it just doesn't add up.

Where are Abhisit and Suthep? Shouldn't they be addressing the nation in this time of crisis?

They are busy trying to come up with a story to explain why the army keeps shooting at a Canadian Journalist lying on the floor saying "help me help me.."

Thats the risk you take being in the hot spot, the war zone, on the front line. Why do they own any explanations?

Rumours around Suthep has been shot by someone in the Army camp.

If it transpires Suthep gave the ok to the shooting of SD, then someone doing that to him would not be a surprise.

Interesting to see if Suthep gives any news briefs now.

Keep a watch, Abhsit is also missing presently........ ???

Where are they both ?

Thai's are very much into revenge.

Thais, 95% of whom are Buddhist and world famous for mai pen rai, are not very much in to revenge.

This is your own twisted Western thinking deluding you.

Reports coming now of Suthep being shot in the head by an army officer.

Source?

I heard it from a Thai friend who works for the government. Not sure what his source is, but someone else on this forum posted the same thing a few moments ago in another thread. He said he heard it from 2 different sources. Not sure what's going on, will update when I know more.

QUOTE (haroldc @ 2010-05-14 20:15:16) *

I am going to express my opinion as to why all this is happening. I will not reply to any comments on my opinion.

In order to place my opinion in perspective, please consider the following.

I have lived in Thailand for 21 years. I originally was invited to come as a technical expert. I am fluent in spoken and written Thai at the post-graduate level. From 1990-2000, I worked in 72 provinces on projects for the Ministries of Interior, Public Health, Education, and Communications, mostly in very rural areas.

In addition to my technical background, I have an MA in Religion, concentration in Buddhism. I have spent 3 years in monasteries, both in Thailand and my home country.

I lived in Issan for 11 years, and for the past 10 years have lived in Bangkok. In Issan, I used to attend the monthly meetings of my city's "informal" governing committee - the mayor, the provincial police chief, an army general, and 5 businessmen. In Bangkok, when I worked on government projects, I used to attend functions hosted by by the Royal Family.

The anti-government movement is largely funded directly or indirectly by Thaksin's clan. The balance is proved by certain other Sino-Thai business clans.

The goal of the Thaksin group is to attain control of Thailand once an inevitable event occurs.

Given that there is a kingdom at stake, the group is spending vast amounts of money in order to foment and sustain an insurrection.

Because so much already has been spent, the group cannot accept defeat; therefore, they now will employ any and all tactics in order to win.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the group's appointed local leadership are rapidly losing control over the entity that they have created.

Thank you from me as well. It was edifying, but good to have what seems to be very valid insight -though I don't even know you, I feel you're sincere.

Long live the King.

Whatever ... reds are getting their ass whupped

i certainly do not support thaksin, he's just a corrupt politician, but i do have a lot of sympathy for the red's and all the millions

of poor Thais, many of whom receive wages of 100-150 baht a day,and i am sick of reading farangs complain about the disruption to their

life and livelihood, can i ask those who criticise the poor to state their daily earnings.

Im tired of this poor vs rich nonsence. why is it that the poor farmeres from the south, west, and, central Thailand are not all up in arms. sure there are some but the red movement is more abouit political and reginal affiliation. let alone being paid to pariicipate.

My mother in law is a poor Thai farmer and she does not like the reds becouse she has been around long enough and knows that the reds have a strong communist background and she has heard lots of RED radio up in the country which she finds very violent and honestly extreamly offensive towards the Royalty.

Would be believable if the only source wasn't another red poster...

You call that 'reports coming in'?

Thais, 95% of whom are Buddhist and world famous for mai pen rai, are not very much in to revenge.

They do however, enjoy chaos.

you are very much confusing Buddhism with Thais who say they are Buddhist - not the same thing at all

As I said a few posts before, I fear that tomorrow morning we'll have some really bad news.

Oh god no!!

I hope you dont mean that they set Central World shopping complex ablaze, they could have at least waited for the summer sales to end. Had my eye on a new carpet.

Edited by whiterussian

Am utterly appalled at the reds. They had such sympathy a month and a half ago, now they are just a bunch of criminals working for their master Thaksin to the detriment of the entire nation. Disgusting.

OK. However, I can't understand any civilized person having any sympathy for them at all after Pattaya Asean and Black Songkran.

The only ones that have sympathy for them are the reds themselves - like their fan club here - time for negotiation is over and I hope the government realizes that the only way to win this is to go full out and destroy them once and for all

Wow! This is video game time... destroy reds... shoot government attackers... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!

Did anyone think that there are real lives being lost here and people are chatting like it is some Playstation game! Maybe the weekly entertainment at the pub or the red light district doesn't get the blood running anymore?

Give us all a break! Stop getting turned on by the deaths! Would you be saying the same if your mom or brother was one of the people dead today or in the past? Alternatively, please feel free to brave a few bullets and then come back and post (I don't recommend this, but...) !

You believe that ?

I think you must not know any Thai's then.

Why are we are where we are in Bangkok ?

Why are people being shot by snipers ?

Thai's will never accept a loss of "face"...... "mai pen rai" - thats what they write in tourist books.

The person I heard it from isn't a red supporter, for what it's worth. Put me on ignore if you don't want to read it, sorry for disturbing.

if you have a source it would be kinda helpful

My wife's Aunt's friend's sister who is married to a farmer who works a General's land up in Saraburi told us, but he doesn't have a blog so we can't link to this unsubstantiated rumor :) He also has proof that Thaksin is dead and that certain people have HIV, unfortunately there's no way to prove it!

I'm sure it gets worse as you go down the HDI scale, but Thailand is the rumor mongering-est place I have ever spent time in. Nothing happens officially here, everything is rumor and because it's right about 10% of the time and because integrity in journalism is suppressed by every group in power regardless of affiliation it will remain so (until it doesn't). Drives me absolutely bonkers. I'm surprised the weather here isn't reported that way on TV. "My uncle saw a cloud in Nakhon Ratchasima headed toward Bangkok, so there is a chance of rain today. Please bring your umbrella."

The Nation: Rumours were spreading that seh daeng's loyalists would unleash a nightmarish night for Bkk.

It is going to be a long night....I feel for all the civilians in BKK right now...

It also shows that some reds never wanted peace......they just want Bangkok to burn for their own "discomforts" in life.

I'm a low profile farang and chose not to be an active poster but here i lost it.. sjeezus..

This is horrible for anyone with any sympathy for human life.. Thailiban style was the first thing that came to my mind..

Edited by MickeyHolland

Why do you think the reds kept shooting him?

Going to be hard to blame this one on the reds

He isn't amongst them, completely isolated with bushes behind him and the army in front.

Only one red shirt, he is waving a white flag trying to help him up.

CNN ended the report saying viewing these images it was hard to believe the army was answering any threat.

Then again it is only CNN, I only know truth is spoken when it comes out a Military spokeman's mouth or I see in on Channel 3.

The person I heard it from isn't a red supporter, for what it's worth. Put me on ignore if you don't want to read it, sorry for disturbing.

Spreading rumors at a time like this is irresponsible and totally unnecessary. In some places it could even be called fear mongering. You should seriously consider stopping it and comment on verified information only.

You believe that ?

Thai's will never accept a loss of "face"...... "mai pen rai" - thats what they write in tourist books.

You lost face a long time ago and looking on your profile you lost it again!!

posting an ASIAN human rights website as visit my website and abusing people on the forum and supporting the biggest murderers of Thai society isn't loosing face, its like Seah Deng, Loosing BRAINS

Edited by deathabovered

Grumpy old lonesome farang Tourists? It is about the farangs who spreading here their hate at TVF. If these Farangs, who do nothing else than begging for violence and bloodshed, shut up and GO HOME Thailand would be better of and miss nothing.

Please do a little research and provide quotes for these farangs who are spreading their hate and begging for violence. This seems to have become another catch phrase for red apologists, along with "double standards" and "farang aren't thai so shut up". Please provide the quotes of anyone "begging for violence and bloodshed". Or else <deleted>

Spreading rumors at a time like this is irresponsible and totally unnecessary. In some places it could even be called fear mongering. You should seriously consider stopping it and comment on verified information only.

I only posted it after someone else wrote the same thing I had heard. If it was only me, I wouldn't have posted it, but I thought it would be helpful to show the other poster he wasn't the only one that heard it and that there might be more to the story, sorry. Feel free to compare the time stamps, I posted it after someone else asked if anyone else had heard about it.

You believe that ?

You lost face a long time ago and looking on your profile you lost it again!!

posting an ASIAN human rights website as visit my website and abusing people on the forum and supporting the biggest murderers of Thai society isn't loosing face, its like Seah Deng, Loosing BRAINS

and u lost it whn u chose tht color and font for ur post....

Then I must absolutely disagree with you. I am not claiming that I am the all encompassing expert of anything, but I have seen many episodes of revenge that range from the petty pleasure of secretary's glorying in a fellow workmate having a disabled child, to a business enemy having an RPG death threat carried out on his wife and kids (and it didn't make one ripple on any newspapers).

If you cross the wrong guy, you should be prepared for you come-uppance to be delivered.

Thais are also world famous for consideration (but barge into every elevator), are world famous for their cleanliness (but pick their nose everywhere) and, and, and, and, their honest extends to claiming that their mother died to extort money from dumb foreigners (fortunately, I haven't yet fallen for that one).

Don't believe that the Buddhist faith protects Thais, from the most appalling behaviour. Pol Pot was a Buddhist. They are people, no better and no worse than others. Smoooooothe as Silk, doesn't make them superhuman.

Source?

I heard it from a Thai friend who works for the government. Not sure what his source is, but someone else on this forum posted the same thing a few moments ago in another thread. He said he heard it from 2 different sources. Not sure what's going on, will update when I know more.

Deadparrot I have just turned you OFF ignore after seeing your latest fatuous and fantastic insight into what is happening!

A Thai friend or possibly 2 other unknown people heard something and when you hear something else of earth shattering importance you will inform us!

:D :D :D:):D :D :D :D

Like the Nations never ending release of "Thaksin is dead again"..... how many times has he died now ?

No, all snippets and rumours should be stated as such, so people can take them with a pinch of salt until they are confirmed or not.

Provided they are clearly said to be rumour, and if numerous posters are hearing the same thing then there MIGHT be something in the rumour.

You will also note Abhisit and Suthep have "gone missing" and are not visible or giving any interviews. Something appears to have happened.