The Great Farang Durian Poll

Thaiquila

Do you like durian?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, Thais seem to think that farangs don't like durian.

Granted, the Thaiphiles on this board aren't typical farangs, but are they correct?

Personally, I loved durian from the very first sniff and bite, the smell never bothered me in the least. In fact, on www.mexivisa.com I am known as Mexurian.

OK, Thais seem to think that farangs don't like durian.

Granted, the Thaiphiles on this board aren't typical farangs, but are they correct?

It's not on the top of my list of Thailand's fruits and vegetables, although I haven't found too many things that I didn't like.

Personally I think it smells like socks not being washed for a full summer :o but I like the taste and I've eaten a lot of it....shame I can't find it in london...anyone knows if there is an asian shop that sells durian?

My Employment is related to Food Imports to UK.

Some from Thailand where I first tried Durian over 6 years ago.

I requested samples of Durian Prepacked.

They arrived Friday, By Monday when I returned to work all ###### had broken out.

Lot of explaining to do, :o

how do you convince your Boss they it always smells like that!!!! :D:D

Now he is a convert and also loves the taste.

Unfortunately we have been unable to sell so I will just have to wait for Holidays to taste again. :D

Incidentally my wife, who is Thai, cannot stand the smell or taste :D

Regards

Ivan

:D

I love it and often stop to buy some on the street.

I once brought some to my room at the Peninsula, Hong Kong and was politely asked to not do it again....

I've heard heard it described as like eating a strawberry melange while standing knee deep in a septic tank.

When I first started coming to Thailand, I got into trouble with a hotel or two, one of them threatened to call the police. I had convinced myself that the smell could be hidden by wrapping in multiple layers of plastic and putting in the fridge. For some reason, I sometimes prefer chilled durian, the temperature changes the taste kind of like wine. After that, whether or not a hotel had a "durian balcony" became a key hotel feature. I think availability of fresh durian is one of the great highlights of living in SE Asia.

Just yesterday I got some extra fancy durian from Carrefour, it is considerably more by weight than Monthong and each piece is gingerly presented in a paper tray, like a fancy pear. I forget the type name in Thai, but it was out of this world. Still, my favorite durian type is probably D24 which you can get in Malaysia and Singapore easily in season. It is more complex, more subtle, and less sweet than most durian, I kind of liken it to a dry sauvignon blanc.

In the US, it is very rare to find fresh durian in big cities with large Asian populations. I used to see it once a year for a few weeks and it cost about 1200 baht for a durian, no cutting, no guarantees. The rest of the year they always had frozen durian which does indeed completely ruin the fruit. So we are lucky to have fresh durian available year round at friendly prices.

I do have to admit I cannot understand not liking durian, or garlic for that matter. It takes all kinds, I guess.

My friend made me taste it once... Was OK...nothing great... I dont want to try it again, I prefer Jackfruit...

Hmmmm.

Maybe you haven't met the RIGHT durian yet.

There are indeed all levels of quality and a lot of what is sold is not fit for soi dogs.

If you had some plonk wine and didn't think much of it, not sure that would mean you don't like wine.

Love the stuff. Got some in the fridge right now. Had some for breakfast and some more at lunch. Probably have it again after supper. Yum Yum. :D

Some of the comments here remind me of the age old saying..."it's not bad, once you get past the smell". :o

Is it true what Thai people say about eating durian and drinking alcohol at the same time?

That you can die?

I actually don't think so, but still wouldn't suggest eating a large amount of durian with a bottle of whiskey. I know Thai people believe this though.

Of course, there is something to the idea that durian is a heating food. I think it raises the body temperature. It is traditionally eaten with a cooling fruit like mangosteen for balance.

However, being a westerner, I know I don't value balance all that much, so durian straight up works for me. So what is the big deal being warmed up for a spell?

Edited by Thaiquila

We've been here before and I will re-itterate:

It smells like Sh#t :o

It tastes like Sh#t :D

It should be classed as a dangerous substance.

The PM should declare a "War on Durian" to eliminate all Durian Producers, Go Betweens, Durian Mafia, Durian Lords and Durian Dealers. Bang Kwang for them I say!!

Durian should have a health waring sticker attatched saying that you must not eat Durian washed down with whisky, although I imagine the only reason one would do such a thing would be to disguise the taste.

They should also stop that English group for promoting it as well, you know the one led by Simon Le Bonn- Durian Durian, subliminal advertising, very clever, get more people hooked on it :D This has been going on for 25 years and people did not know, outrageous :D

I'll eat it.... but it's not one of my favorite tastes, I wouldn't by any for myself to eat.... my wife on the other hand loves it.

I've only ever had a bad smell experience once with Durian when my wife bought some in BKK that wasn't so fresh, normally when she buys Durian it doesn't smell bad at all because it is fresh, or "not old" as she says. :o

totster :D

We've been here before and I will re-itterate:

It smells like Sh#t :o

It tastes like Sh#t :D

It should be classed as a dangerous substance.

Even I had the similar feeling when I ate it... But then, I was with a nice Thai gal whom I met a day back, and didnt wanted to make her upset. She was eating it like chocolates... And I felt that its some problem with my nose or some dirty surroundings...

Banned from inside the house. Wife has to leave it outside. She has pleaded with me to allow it inside, but on this issue I will not budge.

Smells like the Devil's farts and lingers for days.

Durian is banned from our house too for the same reasons.

:o