Current Situation In Chiang Mai

psh

After seeing how some of us treat them, I have to give most of them credit for not being more prejudiced against us. whistling.gif

In 15 years on and off in CM I have encountered very little prejudice, countless times I've seen ignorant westerners acting like <deleted> we're lucky the Thais are such a laidback race :)

Would like to agree that the Thais are so tolerant of rude and annoying foreigners here and overall have to been some of the nicest and most friendly people in the world, if spoken to nicely.

More importantly, CM is very quiet even more so that normal, people are going about their lives as normal. Tourists should all fly straight to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and they will be fine.

After seeing how some of us treat them, I have to give most of them credit for not being more prejudiced against us. whistling.gif

In 15 years on and off in CM I have encountered very little prejudice, countless times I've seen ignorant westerners acting like <deleted> we're lucky the Thais are such a laidback race :D

:)

I feel compelled to say I agree with you both. Much rather be here than back "home".

What is this forum coming to? Posters agreeing? Can't have that! :D

From the replies to my question, Chiang Mai seems like a wonderful place with friendly people.

I would just like to point out that Chiang Mai has its fair share of Thais who don't like foreigners. Almost every time I go out on my motorbike I get some asshol_e, usually going the other way, say something like "Go!" or "awk!" (out) or "bpai!" (go). A few of them are women. Happens in malls sometimes too. They think they can say what they like to you in Thai without you understanding, especially as it is usually muttered under their breath so that it's not obvious.

Unlike most places in Thailand, most people here have had some contact with foreigners and some have surely had negative experiences. Unfortunately all foreigners are then stereotyped.

Some of the farangs that i see in Chiang Mai i would not want to encounter in my own country .I dont blame the thais at all .We do not have any problems with the thai people we come into contact with.

Ditto here. After six years I haven't yet experienced one example of the sort of rudeness from any Thai that seahorse claims to meet on a regular basis. Can't help but wonder whether ones own behaviour, dresscode or looks could make any difference.  :)