More Bloodshed In Bangkok As Red Siege Continues

webfact

Could be jumping to conclusions. Army declared they were not going to infiltrate, only close off. The rest is only a guess?

Didnt do much of a job of closing off.

Not just a guess actually. Earlier in the thread I suggested that the army should disarm before entering the encampment and, as I thought it was a good idea, I rang someone close to the Government. He said 'the military will never accept it, Abhisit does not control the military and they are pursuing their own agenda.' He also said you can see 'the military are shooting Thais while achieving nothing and that is not good either in the eyes of Thais or internationally.' He also said the 'police and military are corrupt to their very core.'

So yes there is quite a lot of guessing in there. But I know Abhisit is committed to reducing the influence of the army in Thai politics. Also remember there is the army reshuffle coming up and he wanted to replace the coup's constitution. There are some 3500 people at the encampment do you think the Thai army cant contain them when they can execute a coup in three hours.

So yes quite a lot of guesswork but it all seems to add up to me.

So it isnt hard to believe they are manipulating this protest - in fact it must be harder to believe they apparently cant contain it. Cutting the military budget and revising the constitution as well as having a say in the army reshuffle, I dont think would go down well. Thaksin got kicked out for mucking about with the reshuffle.

If you really believe Abhisit is interested in getting the Army out of politics, then please tell me why he has not used the police in this protest and let the Army do its job of protecting the country from outside dangers like from Burma or Cambodia.

I'll take that one. The police are not loyal to the govt. Pretty easy explanation.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be jumping to conclusions. Army declared they were not going to infiltrate, only close off. The rest is only a guess?

Didnt do much of a job of closing off.

Not just a guess actually. Earlier in the thread I suggested that the army should disarm before entering the encampment and, as I thought it was a good idea, I rang someone close to the Government. He said 'the military will never accept it, Abhisit does not control the military and they are pursuing their own agenda.' He also said you can see 'the military are shooting Thais while achieving nothing and that is not good either in the eyes of Thais or internationally.' He also said the 'police and military are corrupt to their very core.'

So yes there is quite a lot of guessing in there. But I know Abhisit is committed to reducing the influence of the army in Thai politics. Also remember there is the army reshuffle coming up and he wanted to replace the coup's constitution. There are some 3500 people at the encampment do you think the Thai army cant contain them when they can execute a coup in three hours.

So yes quite a lot of guesswork but it all seems to add up to me.

So it isnt hard to believe they are manipulating this protest - in fact it must be harder to believe they apparently cant contain it. Cutting the military budget and revising the constitution as well as having a say in the army reshuffle, I dont think would go down well. Thaksin got kicked out for mucking about with the reshuffle.

If you really believe Abhisit is interested in getting the Army out of politics, then please tell me why he has not used the police in this protest and let the Army do its job of protecting the country from outside dangers like from Burma or Cambodia.

I'll take that one. The police are not loyal to the govt. Pretty easy explanation.

If the police are not loyal to the Govt, and say the army has their own agenda............is anybody really committed to defending Bangkok?

Edited by 473geo

Dear Sir,

The country you are referring to as "Burma" is called Myanmar.

Thank you

For me only if you recognize the legitimacy of the military junta.

"The name "Burma" is derived from the Burmese word "Bamar" (), which in turn is the colloquial form of Myanmar () (or Mranma in old Burmese), both of which historically referred to the majority Burmans (or the Bamar). Depending on the register used the pronunciation would be "Bama" or "Myanmah". The name "Burma" has been in use in English since the time of British colonial rule.

In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many colonial-era names, including the name of the country to "Myanmar". This prompted one scholar to coin the term "Myanmarification" to refer to the top-down programme of political and cultural reform in the context of which the renaming was done. The renaming remains a contested issue.

While some of the name changes are closer to their actual Burmese pronunciations, many opposition groups and countries continue to oppose their use in English because they recognise neither the legitimacy of the ruling military government nor its authority to rename the country or towns in English. Various non-Burman ethnic groups choose to not recognise the name because the term Myanmar has historically been used as a label for the majority ethnic group, the Bamar, rather than for the country.

Various world entities have chosen to accept or reject the name change. The United Nations, of which Burma (under the name Myanmar) is a member, endorsed the name change five days after its announcement by the junta. However, governments of many countries including Australia, Canada, France, the United Kingdom and the United States still refer to the country as "Burma", with varying levels of recognition of the validity of the name change itself. Others, including the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the governments of Germany, India, Japan, Russia and the People's Republic of China recognise "Myanmar" as the official name.

Media usage is also mixed. In spite of the usage by the US government, some American news outlets including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The International Herald Tribune and CNN, and international news agencies the Associated Press, Reuters and Agence France-Presse have adopted the name "Myanmar". The name "Burma" is still widely used by other news outlets, including Voice of America, The Washington Post, the BBC, ITN and most British newspapers, The Times of India and Time. Other sources often use combined terms such as "Burma, also known as Myanmar." Some media outlets that use "Myanmar" refer to "Burma" as the nation's "colonial name."

Edited by sunreader

There have been a few suggestion that armoured vehicles should be used. Consider this; tanks are equipped with a main gun (more or less light artillery) which fires an explosive round which makes a M-79 look like a kiddies toy. Both tanks and many APCs also carry quite heavy machine-guns.

Tomas' wall was pierced by a rifle bullet. Heavy calibre machine-guns will do a he-ll of a lot worse. Like Tomas, there are other residents still in their homes.

Neither the residents or the gov't want to see the start of wholesale slaughter, so leave the armour in the bases until it is time for an assault on the barriers.

In these situations, an approaching tank is a more of a psychological weapon (it scares the crap out of people), you don't actually have to start using the main gun.

A suggestion to anyone near the combat zone. Draw your curtains on the side nearest the fighting and if possible, hang blankets over the windows. It might sound silly, but a hanging heavy cloth can absorb most or all the KE of a bullet.

The whole point about tanks is not the main gun. The fact is that they are track laying vehicles and would not notice the barricades. I don't know if armoured bulldozers are available.

You would not like to be inside an APC covered with burning molotov cocktail and you would not like your reception when you had to climb out. These are crude instruments and can not be used without great collateral damage. Also as a previous poster wrote, do not put it past the red leadership to burn those tires and kill women, children, and old people and blame it on the govt. I think the RTA is doing as best as can be done now.

Can someone tell me how much the 55 pages of discussion here have contributed to an actual solution?

None of course. What a silly question. The solution now is in the hands of the brave Thai soldiers fighting the red shirt insurgency.

In the scene where the guy gets shot. Where the soldiers towards the left. It appeared that way since it seemed like they were trying to build a wall. But it seemed the guy might of been shot from behind from they way his leg moved.

Edited by HaPyro721

There have been a few suggestion that armoured vehicles should be used. Consider this; tanks are equipped with a main gun (more or less light artillery) which fires an explosive round which makes a M-79 look like a kiddies toy. Both tanks and many APCs also carry quite heavy machine-guns.

Tomas' wall was pierced by a rifle bullet. Heavy calibre machine-guns will do a he-ll of a lot worse. Like Tomas, there are other residents still in their homes.

Neither the residents or the gov't want to see the start of wholesale slaughter, so leave the armour in the bases until it is time for an assault on the barriers.

In these situations, an approaching tank is a more of a psychological weapon (it scares the crap out of people), you don't actually have to start using the main gun.

A suggestion to anyone near the combat zone. Draw your curtains on the side nearest the fighting and if possible, hang blankets over the windows. It might sound silly, but a hanging heavy cloth can absorb most or all the KE of a bullet.

The whole point about tanks is not the main gun. The fact is that they are track laying vehicles and would not notice the barricades. I don't know if armoured bulldozers are available.

You would not like to be inside an APC covered with burning molotov cocktail and you would not like your reception when you had to climb out. These are crude instruments and can not be used without great collateral damage. Also as a previous poster wrote, do not put it past the red leadership to burn those tires and kill women, children, and old people and blame it on the govt. I think the RTA is doing as best as can be done now.

Yeah it's gotta be tough for the soldiers. Most are probably conscripts, if not all. I actually feel bad for them. Mr. T's brownshirts sure wont do anything to help out. On and on it goes.

Can someone tell me how much the 55 pages of discussion here have contributed to an actual solution?

None of course. What a silly question. The solution now is in the hands of the brave Thai soldiers fighting the red shirt insurgency.

In the scene where the guy gets shot. Where the soldiers towards the left. It appeared that way since it seemed like they were trying to build a wall. But it seemed the guy might of been shot from behind from they way he leg moved.

Sorry to be rude. Too bad they didn't get him in the head.

Google wall street journal Bangkok and you get an article which is insightful.

Ahbist has made this situation much worst than it had to be. They could have made a deal - more money, elections, whatever. Ahbist stopped negotiations, not the reds.

Instead, army with live ammo chasing motorcycle taxi drivers around and killing them. Unbelieveably stupid - will turn Bangkok into Beiruit.

Ahbist should resign now. Take that idiot Korn with you. BTW - I don't think they will be able to vacaton in Europe or the US anymore. Killing rice farmers does not go down well there.

Hope all you hard-liners enjoy your new Thailand.

Edited by bangkokjohn

If the police are not loyal to the government, the military has their own agenda, thousands of redshirts are able to slowly ruin this country's economic heart and nobody else is able to stop all this nonsense that is going on, then what is going to become of this country anyway? Violence instead of dialogue is what separates educated, developed, civilized countries from troubled, developing, third world countries. I really had high hopes for Thailand. That is one of the reasons why I moved here. But I am slowly thinking about leaving. Not within the next months or so but surely within a year or two. As a farang dare not say something in public that might offend a Thai in terms of his or her kingdom but they now seem pretty much careless about their own country's fate. There is simply too much ignorance and hypocrisy in this country now for me to bare. For the moment I try to ignore it but it slowly gets harder every day.

My last hope is that the UN or some other foreign body is able to talk some sense into the people here. I suspect however it is too late. It looks like many more have to die before they stop chasing windmills. Because that is what the protesters are doing right now. They fight because of flaws in their own country's system but since they are part of those flaws there is no chance of any more insight from them in the near future. The people need education. The Thai people needs to learn it is OK to criticize every aspect of society including politics and yes, also royalty. There, the big word is out! And when they learn this is OK they have to learn how to recognize problems and how to deal with them. As long as this does not change we will see more big scale problems in the future and the separation between the rich and poor will become even bigger. The Thai need to grow up instead of just 'smiling away' any problems that arise. Maybe then Thailand can someday say how proud it is of what they accomplished.

Ahbist has made this situation much worst than it had to be.

Ahbist has made this situation much worst than it had to be. They could have made a deal - more money, elections, whatever. Ahbist stopped negotiations, not the reds.

Instead, army with live ammo chasing motorcycle taxi drivers around and killing them. Unbelieveably stupid - will turn Bangkok into Beiruit.

Ahbist should resign now. Take that idiot Korn with you. BTW - I don't think they will be able to vacaton in Europe or the US anymore. Killing rice farmers does not go down well there.

I like how the article had no byline or author. Maybe Thaksin wrote it.

For the 100th time. Abhisit offered elections a year early. These morons are only concerned with burning Bangkok to the ground and getting their criminal hero back in power. It's really that simple. I don't understand why some people are calling this some kind people power thing. This is about one guy and his inability to accept defeat.

If Thaksin comes back and is PM again, that's when I'll truly pray for the people of Thailand.

Abhsit gave them elections already. The Reds refused!!!!

The Red leadership disagreed. They was a split. Those who supported the reelection left the movement.

Thaksin didn't agree with the reelection! So he ordered his proxies to turn it down.

For the 100th time. Abhisit offered elections a year early. These morons are only concerned with burning Bangkok to the ground and getting their criminal hero back in power. It's really that simple. I don't understand why some people are calling this some kind people power thing. This is about one guy and his inability to accept defeat.

If Thaksin comes back and is PM again, that's when I'll truly pray for the people of Thailand.

So why did he refuse to give a date to dissolve parliament? A date to dissolve parliament is needed in order to register the official election date with the Election Commission. Otherwise a promise of an election date is worthless. He kept saying "you can calculate it yourself" and refused to give an answer. Why?

The outcome battle of Bon Kai will determine the winner, if any, of this tragic war.

Both sides understand this. it is why Bon Kai has been the venue of the toughest and most persistent fighting to date, again claiming many lives in Bangkok's most vicious fighting Saturday and Sunday.

Why is it so important? Because from Bon Kai Red supplies are reaching Ratchaprasong thru Soi RumRudee and the Sarasin intersection on the north edge of Lumpini Park. This is because unlike other areas adjoing the Red encampment, Bon Kai is populated by Bangkok Reds.

On Saturday nite i interviewed Red guards at the Rumrudee/Wittayu (Wireless) intersection near the US Embassy. It was evident that these were crack troops, all graduates or current members of Thai Army and many clearly with commando experience.

Why put such valuable assets at this particular intersection and not, say, guarding the Red High Command? Today i returned to find out, and, among other things, found myself between Thai army and Red lines on Rama 4. See the YouTube video series "Bangkok Reds: The Battle of Bon Kai 16 May 2010" parts 1 thru 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlXGCvhKTg...feature=channel

The first of three key findings is that the Battle of Bon Kai is being fought by local residents of Bon Kai. I didnt interview a single fighter who had come to Bangkok just for the recent demonstrations. All the Reds fighters were locals from Bon Kai and Klong Toei, even if many originally hail from Issan.

What we are witnessing in Bon Kai is an uprising, not like at Ratchaprasong an Issan invasion. It is true that most of the fighters i spoke with in fact spoke the Issan dialect; but the key point is that they are local residents. (Thai sources tell me something similar is happening in Ding Daeng, but I have no first hand knowldege.)

The second key finding is that supplies are streaming out of Bon Kai thru Soi Ruamrudee to Sarasin and Ratchaprasong. If the Army cannot control Bon Kai, it cannot seal off supplies to Red Center. And from today's action, it doesnt appear that the Army has the strength to take and hold an insurgent stronghold such as Bon Kai.

Quite to the contrary, as the Reds are establishing a new base in Klong Toei, it is the Army that is being sandwiched between Reds in Lumpini, Sathorn Road, and Rama 4. If the Reds break out of Sarasin and move south down Wireless, the Army will be surrounded. The Army may soon need to either reinforce its position, or evacuate it.

Finally, i could find no evidence of the Red claim repeated several times in Ratchaprasong that the battle of Bon Kai was between Thai Army and Police. Neither the residents of Bon Kai nor the officials i interviewed at the local fire station supported this version of events. Thus i conclude that despite the violence we are not witnessing an armed insurrection by elements of the the Thai state. This is a revolt by a powerful and committed group to be sure, but at least we are not facing the chaos of uniformed state instruments combating each other.

Still Bon Kai is the key strategic position. If the Army is in fact able to subdue the Reds there, Red Center can be cut off.

But if the Army cant, it faces defeat in the center of its own capital city, with consequences that are unimaginable.

The outcome battle of Bon Kai will determine the winner, if any, of this tragic war.

Both sides understand this. it is why Bon Kai has been the venue of the toughest and most persistent fighting to date, again claiming many lives in Bangkok's most vicious fighting Saturday and Sunday.

Why is it so important? Because from Bon Kai Red supplies are reaching Ratchaprasong thru Soi RumRudee and the Sarasin intersection on the north edge of Lumpini Park. This is because unlike other areas adjoing the Red encampment, Bon Kai is populated by Bangkok Reds.

On Saturday nite i interviewed Red guards at the Rumrudee/Wittayu (Wireless) intersection near the US Embassy. It was evident that these were crack troops, all graduates or current members of Thai Army and many clearly with commando experience.

Why put such valuable assets at this particular intersection and not, say, guarding the Red High Command? Today i returned to find out, and, among other things, found myself between Thai army and Red lines on Rama 4. See the YouTube video series "Bangkok Reds: The Battle of Bon Kai 16 May 2010" parts 1 thru 6.

The first of three key findings is that the Battle of Bon Kai is being fought by local residents of Bon Kai. I didnt interview a single fighter who had come to Bangkok just for the recent demonstrations. All the Reds fighters were locals from Bon Kai and Klong Toei, even if many originally hail from Issan.

What we are witnessing in Bon Kai is an uprising, not like at Ratchaprasong an Issan invasion. It is true that most of the fighters i spoke with in fact spoke the Issan dialect; but the key point is that they are local residents. (Thai sources tell me something similar is happening in Ding Daeng, but I have no first hand knowldege.)

The second key finding is that supplies are streaming out of Bon Kai thru Soi Ruamrudee to Sarasin and Ratchaprasong. If the Army cannot control Bon Kai, it cannot seal off supplies to Red Center. And from today's action, it doesnt appear that the Army has the strength to take and hold an insurgent stronghold such as Bon Kai.

Quite to the contrary, as the Reds are establishing a new base in Klong Toei, it is the Army that is being sandwiched between Reds in Lumpini, Sathorn Road, and Rama 4. If the Reds break out of Sarasin and move south down Wireless, the Army will be surrounded. The Army may soon need to either reinforce its position, or evacuate it.

Finally, i could find no evidence of the Red claim repeated several times in Ratchaprasong that the battle of Bon Kai was between Thai Army and Police. Neither the residents of Bon Kai nor the officials i interviewed at the local fire station supported this version of events. Thus i conclude that despite the violence we are not witnessing an armed insurrection by elements of the the Thai state. This is a revolt by a powerful and committed group to be sure, but at least we are not facing the chaos of uniformed state instruments combating each other.

Still Bon Kai is the key strategic position. If the Army is in fact able to subdue the Reds there, Red Center can be cut off.

But if the Army cant, it faces defeat in the center of its own capital city, with consequences that are unimaginable.

Very well explained. Thank you for your post, it's greatly appreciated :)

yew it is good to get a clear picture of the 1st and 2ng generation issan pop out to destroy bkk.

yew it is good to get a clear picture of the 1st and 2ng generation issan pop out to destroy bkk.

The fake pass is that of selling the motorbike taxis as the local residents.

Lillkitty sold a pup but happy anyway.

So why did he refuse to give a date to dissolve parliament? A date to dissolve parliament is needed in order to register the official election date with the Election Commission. Otherwise a promise of an election date is worthless. He kept saying "you can calculate it yourself" and refused to give an answer. Why?

Exactly that's why Thailand is in such trouble. Because of this tit-for-tat "..but this is not clear enough.." Count yourself as one of those folks unable to move forward for the sake of a nation of 66 million people.

Exactly that's why Thailand is in such trouble. Because of this tit-for-tat "..but this is not clear enough.." Count yourself as one of those folks unable to move forward for the sake of a nation of 66 million people.

the monday updates tell of red guards on patrol with shot guns and live ammo, so at least the truth is starting to surface regarding their peaceful intent, and ready to fight with their bare hands, 99% of the problem is the red shirts can not be believed so they do not believe anyone else.

A mountain of evidence could fall on some people and they would still refuse to see the facts. They don't let facts get in the way of an opinion already cemented in place.

A mountain of evidence could fall on some people and they would still refuse to see the facts. They don't let facts get in the way of an opinion already cemented in place.

Just like all of those brain-dead conspiracy-believers claiming the WTC was blown up by CIA and the moon landings were fake. Now they discuss over Abhisit conspiracies and doctored BBC reports showing, in fact, fake snipers or staged riots. If it wasn't so tragic, I would laugh all day long, even though I know it's a waste of time...

"So why did he refuse to give a date to dissolve parliament?" He essentially did give a date to dissolve parliament, by giving a 15 day 'window' which is standard. In French, the flaccid Red argument is called 'a canard' , in English it's called 'a red herring.' Either way, it means it's an irrational diversionary tactic to confuse the issue.

Abhisit's very fair offer was on the table for a week. The Red leaders agreed to it initially. Most of them continued to agree with it, though a couple, including Thaksin, decided they didn't like it and wouldn't say why. There were stalling tactics while Red leaders argued among themselves. The stalling got so ridiculous and drawn out that the gov't withdrew the offer - and now we have lethal mayhem in downtown Bkk, and only the Reds to blame.

Actually, the real reason for the stalling and vacillating (by the Reds, in regard to the fair offer from government), was the amnesty issue. Though Red leaders proclaimed from their stage that they wouldn't seek amnesty, that turned out to <deleted> (not surprisingly). They also proclaimed they would turn themselves in to authorities by May 15th, but all reasonable observers knew that was also just more lies from Red leaders.

The more they thought about it, during that week that A's offer was on the table, the more the Reds realized they had to get amnesty, because they knew they had all been breaking the law. Indeed, if amnesty for Red leaders was offered now, the protests would probably be called off. But amnesty is not being offered, and for good reason: Government forces are winning, and most Thais don't want to let law breakers off the hook.

What do you guys think would be the next appropriate step Govt could take if this violence carries on for furhter 2-3 days ?

Guys with "kill them all" approach pls don't reply...

Apparently the next appropriate step they took was to designate all journalists "terrorist targets".

Anyone get a whiff of Troll just then? :)

Journalists put them selves into the line of fire to get good pictures and a good story

This has been done since the 60's

They know the risks but they do for the glory of the press

If you can not stand the heat in the kitchen, get out

If you play with fire, you know before hand there is a good chance your going to get hurt

It's not work, please follow the instructions you get when you click on the link you posted :)

For example, if the Youtube.com video URL is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87XesTKy0ro

Post like this:

[youtube]87XesTKy0ro[/youtube] and omit the original URL, just post the video ID, in this case: 87XesTKy0ro

just checking how to post code without executing it while answering somebody who asked how to embed a video

Thank you