Protests - Teaching In Thailand

I am currently in Thailand but outside of Bangkok, taking my TESOL training. The training includes a 1 semester placement, and I have been placed within a school in Northern Bangkok (Bang Rak area).

I know the protests got much worse this weekend, and it is starting to worry me. I am scheduled to start teaching in 8 days.

I do not know if leaving Thailand because of the protests would constitute a breach of my contract. I am not even sure if thats needed at this point, because we have been somewhat isolated from the situation. I really do like Thailand and I would not want to leave unless I have to.

Any thoughts?

I've lived in worked in a number of dangerous countries (Bosnia, Iraq etc.). I was in a different field and not teaching, I might add. It's a good idea to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. At my school, there is a clause in the contract that allows the contract to be broken in the event of civil strife. This situation is certainly getting to the point where that might be necessary. One teacher did not come to Thailand because of the political situation.

Personally, I wouldn't leave at this point, but I would make sure that I had sufficient cash to get me to the airport or the border. I make sure my car is kept full of gas. Keep your passport handy (mine is currently with the admin for extension of visa--stupid thing to do), a re-entry permit wouldn't be a bad idea either. I don't have a packed suitcase, but I know what I need to take should things go very wrong, very quickly.

If you have medical problems, make sure you have your medication with you etc.

Keep informed. Go to work and be vigilant.

I'm currently teaching in Minburi about 20 km north of the troubled area of BKK. So far, the only thing I've noticed is that the school closed for a week (but teachers still report). The closure is mandatory because of the government, otherwise we'd probably be open.

The only thing that concerns me now is that it seems to be spreading a bit. But overall, I'd still come to Thailand if you have all your plans in place. Just stay away from the troubled areas.

Yes. I talked to the head of our school on Sunday who said that classes would be as normal for both teachers and students with a sound in her voice like I was crazy and lazy.

By Monday someone had changed that to teachers only--I am assuming it was pressure from above.

I also know of a director who complained about a teacher missing work because they live in the 'hot-zone' and didn't come in.