American Embassy Town Hall Meeting Change

lopburi3

AMERICAN TOWN HALL NOTICE

Due to ongoing security and safety concerns, the Town Hall meeting scheduled for Tuesday, May 18 at 2pm has been re-formatted into a virtual Town Hall meeting to be held on-line. This will allow for a greater number of American citizens residing in Thailand to participate in a discussion with the Ambassador, the Embassy Security Officer and our American Citizens Services Chief. We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe this will be a more effective means of reaching the greatest number of people without putting them in harm’s way. The safety of American citizens remains our primary concern.

The virtual Town Hall meeting will be held from 4 - 5pm on Tuesday, May 18.

1. To join us go to https://statedept.connectsolutions.com/bangkok

2. Enter as Guest (type your desired screen name)

3. Submit your question

The Ambassador and other key embassy officials will be available to take your questions.

If you are unable to join us, a transcript of the webchat will be made available on our Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Questions may be submitted in advance of the Town Hall webchat beginning at 8:00am on the morning of Tuesday, May 18 at 8:00am (Bangkok time). Just enter the site above to submit your question

bump

please note the change in venue as opposed to discussed in the old thread.

cheers

So I guess this will be open to the entire expat communitty internet wide not just americans? :)

No if you read the statement it is for US citizens............

AMERICAN TOWN HALL NOTICE

Due to ongoing security and safety concerns, the Town Hall meeting scheduled for Tuesday, May 18 at 2pm has been re-formatted into a virtual Town Hall meeting to be held on-line. This will allow for a greater number of American citizens residing in Thailand to participate in a discussion with the Ambassador, the Embassy Security Officer and our American Citizens Services Chief. We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe this will be a more effective means of reaching the greatest number of people without putting them in harm’s way. The safety of American citizens remains our primary concern.

The virtual Town Hall meeting will be held from 4 - 5pm on Tuesday, May 18.

1. To join us go to https://statedept.connectsolutions.com/bangkok

2. Enter as Guest (type your desired screen name)

3. Submit your question

The Ambassador and other key embassy officials will be available to take your questions.

If you are unable to join us, a transcript of the webchat will be made available on our Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Questions may be submitted in advance of the Town Hall webchat beginning at 8:00am on the morning of Tuesday, May 18 at 8:00am (Bangkok time). Just enter the site above to submit your question

lopburi13 where did you get this quote from I want to read it. I amnot sure where you got this?

Edited by lovelomsak

Unfortunately probably not changed as much for our security as for the Ambassador. I also wasn't necessarily suggesting a net meeting exclusively but a live town hall meeting with a live net meeting feed.. Shame, while they took my suggestion about this still no offers for a REAL security job with them or even any job for that matter while they pay nit wits the big money who give us common sense advice of how to survive a hurricane in the last meeting but nothing on how to deal with a civil war :) ...

They also said this would not likely last more then 72 hours................Errrrrrrrmmm....What????........

Is the citizens services section open at all, or is the whole embassy shut down until at least the 21st?

I know, somewhat stupid question, but I still have an appointment tomorrow for some notary stuff which is not listed as the non immigrant or visa section which on the web site advises is closed.

Is the citizens services section open at all, or is the whole embassy shut down until at least the 21st?

I know, somewhat stupid question, but I still have an appointment tomorrow for some notary stuff which is not listed as the non immigrant or visa section which on the web site advises is closed.

So you are going to go tomorrow if the notary section is open?

Hmm... they are probably closing everything but the notary since the notary section is clearly the most important section. :)

So you are going to go tomorrow if the notary section is open?

Hmm... they are probably closing everything but the notary since the notary section is clearly the most important section. :)

Been huffin' on the 'ol crack pipe today, eh?

Dumb question gets a more stupid response.....

I am from the USA and I just went to the virtual site and signed in with a "guest" name. I submitted two questions. They are accepting questions early even though the "meeting" is set for 4PM

count yourself as lucky, fellow....

i enter my name.... but i can not get in, even to post questions....

what is up with the site anyway?

anyone has any idea....? or am i blacklisted already, so early, even before the meeting begins....? LOL

Guess I'll have to wait for the transcript this is not at all what I was expecting? It's just a blank chat window with no idea what else is being asked etc. and no live visual feed or is that just because it's still early? :) I also thought we might have to sign in with our passport numbers or something to confirm we are US citizens to get in and not just a user name to be selected? Quite unusual...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I was on it for about 30 minutes before it kicked me off (too many users) when I switched to a different window for a moment.

From what I did see, it was a shame that people were clogging the discussion with what I would consider "silly" comments/questions. People were complimenting the embassy staff, saying they were proud to be a part of the community, etc. Also people were asking questions that to me, did not seem relevant for the current context. For example, a man asked a question about whether he could still apply for his wife's visa at the temporary Embassy site (fair question), but then he also went on to explain how he doesn't think it's fair that he can't accompany his wife to her interview. Another guys rambled about how he should get special treatment for his wife's visa because he is a US citizen an taxpayer, and they shouldn't wait in the same line as other Thais waiting for visas. He wanted to know if the Embassy was coordinating with Homeland Security in order to expedite her visa. Another guy said he wanted to travel around the north of Thailand and wanted to know if people there had hostility towards Americans. Why did they even allow those questions to come up? IMHO, those people were wasting the limited time set aside to discuss the situation in Bangkok.

I was on it for about 30 minutes before it kicked me off (too many users) when I switched to a different window for a moment.

From what I did see, it was a shame that people were clogging the discussion with what I would consider "silly" comments/questions. People were complimenting the embassy staff, saying they were proud to be a part of the community, etc. Also people were asking questions that to me, did not seem relevant for the current context. For example, a man asked a question about whether he could still apply for his wife's visa at the temporary Embassy site (fair question), but then he also went on to explain how he doesn't think it's fair that he can't accompany his wife to her interview. Another guys rambled about how he should get special treatment for his wife's visa because he is a US citizen an taxpayer, and they shouldn't wait in the same line as other Thais waiting for visas. He wanted to know if the Embassy was coordinating with Homeland Security in order to expedite her visa. Another guy said he wanted to travel around the north of Thailand and wanted to know if people there had hostility towards Americans. Why did they even allow those questions to come up? IMHO, those people were wasting the limited time set aside to discuss the situation in Bangkok.

The town meeting is a regular feature the Embassy provides. All subjects pertaining to US citizens are welcome for discussion. The use of a special internet meeting was because the Embassy is closed and was not restricted to any one subject.

Edited by TigerWan

lopburi13 where did you get this quote from I want to read it. I amnot sure where you got this?

it was through an email sent to someone.

sorry it didnt work out as well for everyone.

hopefully they provide some avenue for feedback and improvements are made (but we have to keep in mind that with these kind of things there will always be unanticipated problems).

I can't find any trace of the promised transcript on their website. At least, they should tell us that it will be available tomorrow or whenever. I was also not able to sign in for the meeting due to over subscription.

Yeah i saw some of the names typing like aussiedavid etc. Shouldve used a sign up form so they accepted US passport numbers only.

sorry.... not a good idea though....

security risks....

wow.... some smart souls would make plenty in blackmarket....

if names and numbers can be 'matched' and authenticated.... :)

I can't find any trace of the promised transcript on their website. At least, they should tell us that it will be available tomorrow or whenever. I was also not able to sign in for the meeting due to over subscription.

if i am not too stoned.... i think the transcript will be available on wed morn.... :)