Coffee Beans In The Freezer, Really That Bad?

I have been buying sealed bags of whole beans (and grind when needed daily) and then storing in a tight container in my freezer. The beans smell great when I open the bag but there is less of a smell when they are frozen. I think the freezer is a mistake based on my reading. Various sources say never store in the frig (I don't) and also don't use the freezer. They say the beans absorb moisture and will taste of the freezer. I don't think my coffee tastes of the freezer, but I think an airtight container in the room when used within a few weeks (and freshly ground) will be better.

If you keep your coffee at room temperature, ground beans should be brewed within 3 days, roasted whole beans should be ground and brewed within 7 days.

If you want to keep your coffee longer, better freeze it.

( I had my first espresso machine 45 years ago, and I started to roast coffee in Thailand 20 years ago)

Seabear

I had the chance to be able to buy coffee - quite a long time ago - in Rwanda, Burundi and Kenya...exquisite arabica! Both green and roasted beans. I was keeping them them in my freezer and used them on demand...no problem whatsoever when defrost when needed. Here, I am using (lucky me) vaccuum packed coffee I purchase in Belgium and - once the packet opened (generally 250gr) - I keep it in the fridge...in a "coffee pot! No problem either.

African experience...keep your coffee in a sealed pot in your fridge!

Hmmm. The consensus from the "professional" sources I have read seemed really clear.

Frig -- NEVER!

Freezer, not good but OK if you have bought a large portion of coffee and it is not in a well sealed bag. Then defrost a portion ONCE and store that at room temp.

I have been going from frozen to bean, to grinder, to brew. If I keep using the freezer, should I defrost some beans FIRST?

Anyway, I will try using the same beans I have been buying and storing in a sealed jar, room temp, and see if its better or not.

I am surprise no one mention the packaging importance outside the vacuum pack.

Serious company use a special package, it as a valve, air from natural fermentation can go out but not go in, it make a large difference between storage for keeping beans

Bit same question as asking if a salad from the garden is better eaten straight away or after few days in the fridge.... what is the best and what is possible is not the same.

i will said, keep 3 days supply in your grinder

keep 2 week supply in a special container in your fridge

the other part in the freezer

some fridge have less moisture as some other, I keep my bean outside, I try chest freeze them for holiday and do not have problem

Edited by simcity

The consensus from "experts" seems to be that the widespread belief that putting beans in fridge or freezer keeps them "fresh" is a total myth. My next bag I will try to see if I can tell any difference in the taste without the freezer after a week or so. As I am using the same type of beans, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to buy my fresh roasted to order beans in quantaties of 7+kilos and wish I had room in my freezer.....but don't. So, I store them in a styrofoam ice chest under the counter which is the coolest part of our kitchen.......but still hot during the summer.

Then for grinding, I now use one of those cast iron mounted to the counter top grinders that are made for grinding grain.......after burning out three coffee grinders over the years and not being able to grind coffee when the power is out. only 600thb

I buy my whole beans in packages of 500 gr in the special valve bags, store in fridge. The bags can be resealed via rolling the top over - not a zip lock. Tried all other ways, and for me this works best.

I studied coffee intensly a few years ago as I was planning to go into the business in the US. Had too much trouble with the local planning department about permits, etc., and decided to just get the F out of the US altogether.

Here is what I learned. Moisture is the enemy; not freezing or refrigeration. The reason some experts advise against freezing or refrigerating is that many people will put their beans in a plastic container in the freezer or refrigerator, then take the container out into the warm room, remove enough beans for the day's coffee, close the container and put it back. This is a no no as everytime the container is opened, some moisture condenses from the warm room air onto the cold beans inside the container and eventually, after multiple openings, the beans are wet and degraded.

You SHOULD store the UNOPENED mylar bags of beans in the freezer (preferred) or refrigerator, as it will slow degradation. Take a whole bag (I order my coffee in 500 gram bags) out of the freezer, open it and immediately tranfer the contents to a sealable plastic container and seal it. Let the beans reach room temperature, the use at you leisure. But do not put this container back in the freezer or refrigerator, as everytime you open it, you will get the condensation problem. Leave them at room temperature until consumed.

The poster who said that you should grind and use beans within seven days of roasting is correct -- in a perfect world. Unfortunately, many of us have to buy far more beans at a whack than we can use in seven days. I buy five kilos at a whack. Cooling ANYTHING slows down reactions, which is why food will spoil in the fridge, but much slower than if left out on the table. A freezer slows the process much more than a refrigerator.

I thaw out and use about 500 grams a week and this method has worked great for me. As a coffee snob, I will admit my coffee using this method is not as good a a cup brewed from beans right out of the roaster. But, hey, I live way out in the sticks and I'll take a cup of my coffee over Thai Taster's Choice any day.

The consensus from "experts" seems to be that the widespread belief that putting beans in fridge or freezer keeps them "fresh" is a total myth. My next bag I will try to see if I can tell any difference in the taste without the freezer after a week or so. As I am using the same type of beans, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

If the bag is a sealed mylar bag, this is nonsense. Buy two identical mylar bags of beans that were roasted on the same day. Leave both sealed. Put one in the freezer and the other one in your 100 degree F cabinet. Take them both out in six months and run a trial. The bag that has been frozen will be serviceably good. The other one? Very stale at best, rancid at worst. I'll bet my grinder on this.

Jingthing,

Thanks for the post I too found it very informative, also thank you everyone for your valued information.

I have been buying the pre-ground "the coffee bean brand" from Big C, not much of a choice up here in Surin for coffee selection. I have been gettting the Arabic blend and have been keeping it in the freezer, this seems to work good. Just take it out of the freezer long enough to fill the filter on the coffee maker and then right back in. Maybe I will invest in the grinder and start grinding my own, buy beans from villia when I come to BKK.

Anyway thanks for the info guys.

If the bag is a sealed mylar bag, this is nonsense. Buy two identical mylar bags of beans that were roasted on the same day. Leave both sealed. Put one in the freezer and the other one in your 100 degree F cabinet. Take them both out in six months and run a trial. The bag that has been frozen will be serviceably good. The other one? Very stale at best, rancid at worst. I'll bet my grinder on this.

Your advice agrees with the consensus. Moisture is the enemy. Refrigerators are never a good idea, but freezers have their use. Thanks for explaining the problem of opening the freezer stash daily to get beans (that's what I have been doing). The expert consensus also says it is OK to freeze beans ONCE and then take out and store elsewhere. So it sounds like if I have bags of coffee I won't be using within a few weeks I should freeze the sealed bags and then when a bag becomes active, take it out of the freeze once and store well during its use period.

I have to buy my fresh roasted to order beans in quantaties of 7+kilos and wish I had room in my freezer.....but don't. So, I store them in a styrofoam ice chest under the counter which is the coolest part of our kitchen.......but still hot during the summer.

Then for grinding, I now use one of those cast iron mounted to the counter top grinders that are made for grinding grain.......after burning out three coffee grinders over the years and not being able to grind coffee when the power is out. only 600thb

I have been thinking about getting one of those as it would make a more consistent grind than my spinning grinder that I use now. Where did you buy yours for 600b? I live in Chiang Mai.

BTW; I keep my whole beans in the fridge double bagged in ziplocks and I never taste the fridge. I think you would though if it wasn't well-sealed. I don't drink coffee everyday so I need to make it last and I have no freezer space. It seems to maintain its taste also, and I just grind them each use.

• 2 weeks later...

... and same procedure with tea...?

or will coffee drinkers refuse to handle, think, even talk about tea, not to mention to keep it in their freezer ...

.. is it a entirely different story, is it blasphemous...

new thread?