Customs Agents Fees

Highwayman

Hopefully someone can give some advice here.

I recently had some household goods, an old non-working computer, an old but good stereo system, a bicycle etc. shipped from Australia to Bangkok. It's all in 3 boxes, with the bike on top, shrink wrapped on a pallet about a metre high.

It has now arrived in Bangkok and my wife has been speaking to the shipping agent. They have said they can handle all the paperwork and deliver to our door (less than 50 kms) for 10,000 baht, :D plus maybe a few minor import duties. I know from shipping goods years ago from the UK to Australia that the agents fee can be more expensive than the freight charges and it's looking the same case here. :D

I have no idea if this fee is reasonable :D as l don't know what exactly is involved in clearing goods from customs. Is it the sort of thing someone can handle themselves? It doesn't matter if it takes longer and some running around, l'd be interested in saving some money if l could. Getting it to our house should not be a problem as l was able to fit everything into a large sedan to take to the freight company in Australia. If l had to organise a pick-up it would cost 1000 baht at most.

What should l do? Pay up and save the hassle or is it possible to do it ourselves and save a substantial sum, or could it end up even more expensive and frustrating doing it ourselves? :o

I need to speak to the agent within the next 24 hours so any suggestions or questions l should be asking would be appreciated.

THB10,000 is far too much. Ring around for a competitive quote.(get your wife to do this :o ) You should be able to get the rate down to at least THB5000.

Most Freight companies charge like wounded bulls,because Joe Bloggs public has no idea. To put it in perspective, it might take a customs agent 3-4 hours of work plus a bit of shagging around if you have a multitude of different cargo lines to clear. THB10000 is taking the piss.

Lets put it this way, I can send 5 x Cubic meters of cargo (Approx 176Cubic feet) from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for THB2500.

You should be able to do yourself.There are some people on TV have done this before. :D

For international shipments is expensive but not so much, depends on how you want to consider the risk of having all ur goods inspected and (eventually) damaged.

the 10,000 baht (sadly true) are used also to clear the custom police, and only an agent can do it.

Probably you will get a better price from other agents, but don't expect too much cheaper since they know u need them.

I had all my stuff cleared with the help of my company, but the 5000 bah tea money (for a 20 feet container) are necessary to get your container un-opened in ur hands.

Edited by duke69

For international shipments is expensive but not so much, depends on how you want to consider the risk of having all ur goods inspected and (eventually) damaged.

the 10,000 baht (sadly true) are used also to clear the custom police, and only an agent can do it.

Probably you will get a better price from other agents, but don't expect too much cheaper since they know u need them.

I had all my stuff cleared with the help of my company, but the 5000 bah tea money (for a 20 feet container) are necessary to get your container un-opened in ur hands.

I have a 20" container arriving in BKK and I am interested in knowing

the process once it arrives.My wife will be doing all the work as it is shipping

in her name.

Can the container be unloaded onto another lorry

or is it best just to take the container to its final destination?

Hopefully someone can give some advice here.

I recently had some household goods, an old non-working computer, an old but good stereo system, a bicycle etc. shipped from Australia to Bangkok. It's all in 3 boxes, with the bike on top, shrink wrapped on a pallet about a metre high.

It has now arrived in Bangkok and my wife has been speaking to the shipping agent. They have said they can handle all the paperwork and deliver to our door (less than 50 kms) for 10,000 baht, :D  plus maybe a few minor import duties. I know from shipping goods years ago from the UK to Australia that the agents fee can be more expensive than the freight charges and it's looking the same case here.  :D

I have no idea if this fee is reasonable  :D as l don't know what exactly is involved in clearing goods from customs. Is it the sort of thing someone can handle themselves? It doesn't matter if it takes longer and some running around, l'd be interested in saving some money if l could. Getting it to our house should not be a problem as l was able to fit everything into a large sedan to take to the freight company in Australia. If l had to organise a pick-up it would cost 1000 baht at most.

What should l do? Pay up and save the hassle or is it possible to do it ourselves and save a substantial sum, or could it end up even more expensive and frustrating doing it ourselves?  :o

I need to speak to the agent within the next 24 hours so any suggestions or questions l should be asking would be appreciated.

Why would you ship a non working computer? :D