Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

Shortly after the red leaders surrendered or went on the run it went up in flames, they did say previously that Bangkok would burn and burn it is in parts, IMO this was preplanned..

Now the debate will rage on like the fires in Bangkok and some people will say it had nothing to do with the reds, whoever it was it's a sad time for Thailand at the moment.

My wife (Bangkok born and bred) also thinks was pre planned as was the "hands up" by the red leaders. She reckons they've done their job now - got everyone whipped up and now they can say look "it wasn't us" as the ensuing chaos unfolds. Whilst never a true believer she used to be quite quick to defend what Wacko Tacko was doing as she felt that the country did benefit (at least more than when the other corrupt leaders were taking what they could). Any sympathy she may have had for the reds well and truly gone now - although concern for the development of the north/NE and south still very important to her.

I think the comment by Bangkok Governor that all Thais should feel responsible for what has happened and that a change of mind set is what is required very interesting - let's hope the nut jobs who are just loving the fight get over it quickly and let the majority of decent Thais get on with building a better nation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The targets have not been randomly chosen. We are talking all targets that are in someway related to the elite (stock exchange), the army (bangkok Bank and Central), CP (7 eleven) (sponsor of the yellow shirts) and so on. It does seem to done very organized. The people I saw out on the street today got lots of help from people with nice prison tattoos. This was expected and it is a shame that Abhisit does not seem to have the guts to appear on TV. Now when the Nation need a strong leader the little boy is hiding with Prem at the 11th infantry. A reason alone to dismiss him. Great leaders will stand up and appear on TV and take the lead. Thailand has to do it with junior ministers that read all from the same songbook. unbiased information and one big good news show.

The finance minister even declared victory like George Bush once did on that ship. He even went as far as telling the people that it would soon look like the economic impact was just a blip. I have bad news for them people in trouble need a government with a face. This faceless government has no role in Thailand. Maybe Abhisit can phone his boss Suthep so if he is allowed to beat the curfew we can hear from the prime minister himself. Hopefully as a grown up not with a prepared speech but also willing to face questions from reporters.

I hope that the owners of this Mall sue the finacial backers of the Red Shirts for every penny they have!

would be great if the red rioters build it back with backbreaking labor through blood, sweat and tears (unpaid) as community service.

They did that first time around... although perhaps they were paid a little sweetner for the 80hrs per week labour that they put into building the thing... Perhaps today's scenes are less to do with 'democracy' and Thaksin and more to do with the waking up of an entire strata of society who have been in effect indentured servants and backbreaking labourers for the feudal capitalist system of 'modern' Thailand for the past 20 years and more... It wouldn't be the first time in history that workers rose up and burnt the house down...

FF.

Covards. Proves they are terrorist.

Used to symphatize with the red movements but all that is now gone.

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

50+ people were killed by the Thai govt and you're worried about a shopping complex!!! something wrong here!

Very sad indeed. These people were fighting for what??? Oh yes, democracy. The poor taking on the rich? Now look at all of the poor bastards who work in Bangkok (Centralworld and elsewhere) who will be out of jobs. It is bad enough that the reds were loosing credibility day by day, but now any ounce of creditability that they had left is long long gone.

On the flop side, voters in the "traditional red areas" unfortunately won't know/remember/connect any of this. But hey, it was never about poor people's fate, was it now?!

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

Have you only just been born?

only one real terrorist in thailand... mr. abhisit!!! jail him!!! immediately!!! everything happening as i tyre this is a direct result from his outrageous mismanagment of the whole situation.. send suthep with him, they both deserve a lifetime of buggery!!!

post-81722-1274270258_thumb.jpg

Very sad indeed. These people were fighting for what??? Oh yes, democracy. The poor taking on the rich? Now look at all of the poor bastards who work in Bangkok (Centralworld and elsewhere) who will be out of jobs. It is bad enough that the reds were loosing credibility day by day, but now any ounce of creditability that they had left is long long gone.

Geee it's only an horrible fake naff shopping mall defacing what used to be a beautiful equivalent of venice!

Yeah, I brought some friends to the mall area in Ratchaprasong and the older man in the group stopped and looked at me in Paragon and said, "I hate these American Shopping Centers." As much as it is a tragedy to the people concerned, it has always been a farce to walk out of such luxury and see the beggars and slums nearby. Thailand just woke up too late...

Bring back Venice of the East, smiling faces and let's hope that the Elite and the Army somehow lose power... I doubt it.

One interesting aspect of this sorry state of affairs is the insurance question...

As a rule Insurance policies don't pay out on terrorist actions.

The Riots and looting have been defined as terrorism by the government.

The insurers will try to avoid paying ANY claims on that basis

The targets have not been randomly chosen. We are talking all targets that are in someway related to the elite (stock exchange), the army (bangkok Bank and Central), CP (7 eleven) (sponsor of the yellow shirts) and so on. It does seem to done very organized. The people I saw out on the street today got lots of help from people with nice prison tattoos. This was expected and it is a shame that Abhisit does not seem to have the guts to appear on TV. Now when the Nation need a strong leader the little boy is hiding with Prem at the 11th infantry. A reason alone to dismiss him. Great leaders will stand up and appear on TV and take the lead. Thailand has to do it with junior ministers that read all from the same songbook. unbiased information and one big good news show.

The finance minister even declared victory like George Bush once did on that ship. He even went as far as telling the people that it would soon look like the economic impact was just a blip. I have bad news for them people in trouble need a government with a face. This faceless government has no role in Thailand. Maybe Abhisit can phone his boss Suthep so if he is allowed to beat the curfew we can hear from the prime minister himself. Hopefully as a grown up not with a prepared speech but also willing to face questions from reporters.

Barbarian.

A good name for the looters and their supporters.

The contribution above just pompous candyfloss.

I completely agree this is not the way to solve things. But I also think that the violent mob that has been causing a lot of this wasn't really ever part of the red shirt movement and what it was about. I believe that the intentions of the real red shirt movement were always non-violent, but the groups that then got attached is what steered the whole truck off the street, so to speak. Anyone can now claim to be a red shirt and cause the problems he's always wanted to cause. And I'm sure there are a lot of people doing that right now. I don't think it was ever the intention of the poor rural population that came to Bangkok to sit in front of the stage with their relatives and children.

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

I would get violent too

Perhaps the reds are angry and trashing the place because they have finally realised they were duped by their "leaders" who promised them the earth and then left them swinging in the breeze.

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

Farangs won't be voting for the anybody at all, they have no vote.

the only way out of this mess is proper elections, Abhisit was put in place by the army. after all of this i doubt if Tahksin will get back in, this mess has back fired on him. ufortunately in a society were corruption is commonplace and accepted there can be no real democracy. So I dont see the problems going away in our lifetime, unless someone realy wants to change things. The real sad point is the country we all love is imploding, once the troubles stop will the tourists come back? if not what happens to the hard working law abiding people of Thailand who will be the ones most hurt by this madness.

I don't think what ever side people support they would want to see Bangkok burn. However, if you look back through different threads on this forum, what is happening now is exactly what people were afraid was going to happen if the government dispersed the protesters using force. I think things are going to get worse, a lot worse. The people who are burning Bkk should be held accountable to the full extent of the law and also the government (Abhasit and co) should be held responsible for gross mismanagement of the whole situation from start to where it is now. A very sad time for Thailand

Geee it's only an horrible fake naff shopping mall defacing what used to be a beautiful equivalent of venice!

Yeah, I brought some friends to the mall area in Ratchaprasong and the older man in the group stopped and looked at me in Paragon and said, "I hate these American Shopping Centers." As much as it is a tragedy to the people concerned, it has always been a farce to walk out of such luxury and see the beggars and slums nearby. Thailand just woke up too late...

Bring back Venice of the East, smiling faces and let's hope that the Elite and the Army somehow lose power... I doubt it.

SO.... you think its ok for a bunch of thugs to run around burning building? Oh yes, its ok, just demolish the city and rebuild it the way you want it hey?

As it so happens, this place actually gave jobs to quite a few people. Not to mention the smaller businesses that were supported as well.

I think you haven't woken up mate.

Completely agree, all my sympathies have gone!

If they hadn't supported Thaksin, had left when they won (elections in November), had kept the protest peaceful, hadn't involved children, had denounced violence, and hadn't involved themselves with those 'black guards' they might have had the support of decent people! They have turned their protest into a sham and are now ruining the whole country.

I hope Thailand can recover from this and can find a government who can benefit all, instead of just one section of society.

yellow shirts and red shirts should both be ashamed at their actions. I believe the majority of Thai people are neither and these 'political' movements are ruining the country!

My sympathies go out to all of the ordinary peaceful Thai people affected by this.

Good luck in ridding your country of this nonsense!

Besides all the obvious things that suck about this, that was one of the only stores here that I could find a variety of shoes that would actually fit my feet in. I have been waiting since they closed that place for this to be over so I could go get some shoes and now I see that the one part of the store that has the shoes I wanted that I cant find anywhere else in this country (that are not fakes) is now a big flaming pit... This just sucks all around... On the plus side, (for me) the baht value could drop significantly and that would be nice :)

Well, I think we all have our own opinions. Overall the red shirt demonstrations were peacefull (loud but not agressive) yes they paralized parts of the city but again the protest itself was not violent. The way the protest was handled escalated in violence. Even now I think most of the people involved were not violent at all. However with every group you will have bad elements.

To me the main issue is this government that has questionable legitimacy itself and has not managed the situation in a manner that did not result in violence. By that fact alone they have disqualified themselves.

Red or Yellow, they all are as bad. And who knows who caused this fire. A hitman is easily paid in thailand, just give him 2000 baht and a red tshirt!

It is a shame that the country has gone down the drain so fast, It all started with an airport blockage by the yellow people! Or did it all start with a military coup that ousted Thaksin? So lets stop blame people, and hope for solutions to be reached without further violence on the street

There must be a point when the Army will say enough is enough and stop this with a brutal and aggressive assult.

The reds are burning down the city. Would you say enough is enough? What about the people that live in the city, don't they have rights for protection?

Cheers, Rick

Nope, they are freedom fighters going to extraordinary lengths to achieve the outcome most of us take for granted.\

Idiot.

Typical, just because someone expresses a view that isn't mainstream.

Really? So why you didn't invite those red guys to burn your home? Express your unstream opinion this way!

Maybe you two should go back and read all of my comment, history always decides whether someone is a saint or a sinner. Trial by media is only a fairly recent phenomenon of which you two seem to be experts.

I never said they were right to destroy property.

Foreigners voting in Thailand?

The only thing foreigners are allowed to do in Thailand is spend money!

I would get violent too

Another Red Shirt plant coming late to the game. Abhisit offered to step down (dissolve Parliament) in Sept. and hold elections in Nov. That is one year early from the Constitutional guarantee of an election in Nov. 2011. He asked the Red Shirts to end the protest. At first, it was said that they agreed, then they changed their mind (after word from Thaksin saying that the leaders would not be paid if they gave in) and after a couple of days it was withdrawn as they said, "NO."

Only then was it pulled from the table. Abhisit called their bluff. The Reds could have walked away with a victory. They could have gone back to their strongholds in the North and say to their comrades: "We were able to get elections one year earlier than it was supposed to be held." But, they wanted more deaths, more martyrs, and more money. So PM Abhisit was not taken up on his promises. How could he then break them? If you want to get violent take a bus or drive up north or to the northeast and join the Red Shirts there who are burning down all government buildings. I'm sure they could use more people to throw firebombs. You could help them burn down their civilisation.

I don't think what ever side people support they would want to see Bangkok burn. However, if you look back through different threads on this forum, what is happening now is exactly what people were afraid was going to happen if the government dispersed the protesters using force. I think things are going to get worse, a lot worse. The people who are burning Bkk should be held accountable to the full extent of the law and also the government (Abhasit and co) should be held responsible for gross mismanagement of the whole situation from start to where it is now. A very sad time for Thailand

I completely agree with that. I remember when the protests was at the bridge, not yet at Rajprasong. The government wanted the bridge cleared and ordered the protesters to move elsewhere. Then they moved to Rajprasong. When they got tired of that, instead of negotiating and keeping it at Rajprasong, they started pushing them out of Rajprasong and they ended up spreading all over the city. I believe a UN official compared it to squeezing a water balloon.

Something must have happened last night, though. The Democrat Senators that were negotiating with the red shirts seemed to come in kind of an agreement and there was even answer from Abhisit that they would hold tri-party (government, senators, red shirts) talks on Wednesday. Then however, on Wednesday morning, the government started with the crackdown.

I'm sure that nearly every stage of what has happened has been mishandled. And especially last night, when a breakthrough seemed so near and negotiations almost resuming ...the crackdown was launched. And now the city is burning. This didn't need to happen. I would have liked to see all sides give peace another chance.

Foreigners cannot vote. All we can do is sit back and bitch.

No, foreigners can vote. Mr Thaksin's cash is good for foreigners' votes as well as Thais.