Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

Lets just hope that all the staff were out of the building and that no lose of life has occurred.

Does anyone have any updates on all people safe from this fire?

I'm quite sure the red mob didn't check if the buildings were empty (Central World or any other) before torching them. I also hope nobody dies in the fires.

If Central World collapses it will probably take a chunk of the Skytrain system with it. It may take months for life to go back to normal.

And why should it take a chunk of the skytrain with it?As far as I know it is quite some distance from the skytrain.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covards. Proves they are terrorist.

Used to symphatize with the red movements but all that is now gone.

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

50+ people were killed by the Thai govt and you're worried about a shopping complex!!! something wrong here!

A journalist friend I talked with just now was following the army this morning.

He took pictures of soldiers who lost limbs because of a grenade thrown from redshirt side.

He then had to run for his life (and lost his camera doing so) because other grenades were thrown.

The "peaceful" protest has always been a myth.

the fires and looting happening now are just another demonstration.

Both sides should be held accountable for everything that is happening and stop fighting like kids on a playground.

a few hours ago CNN reported that the government had lost track of who was going in and out of the protest site - then it reported that red-shirt leaders had escaped - that is a scandal, like the US's failure to close in on Bin Laden when it had the chance

Abhisit must bear some of the blame for whatever havoc they now wreak

Very sad indeed. These people were fighting for what??? Oh yes, democracy. The poor taking on the rich? Now look at all of the poor bastards who work in Bangkok (Centralworld and elsewhere) who will be out of jobs. It is bad enough that the reds were loosing credibility day by day, but now any ounce of creditability that they had left is long long gone.

Geee it's only an horrible fake naff shopping mall defacing what used to be a beautiful equivalent of venice!

Yeah, I brought some friends to the mall area in Ratchaprasong and the older man in the group stopped and looked at me in Paragon and said, "I hate these American Shopping Centers." As much as it is a tragedy to the people concerned, it has always been a farce to walk out of such luxury and see the beggars and slums nearby. Thailand just woke up too late...

Bring back Venice of the East, smiling faces and let's hope that the Elite and the Army somehow lose power... I doubt it.

Dear Comrade,

please mote to the stick, buy land and build a shopping-area more in your liking and leave Paragorn and other places to us that like to shop there.

Firebomb-politics is always terrorism.

The reds showing their true colors, yet again. Not fake reds. REAL reds. For any remaining red terror sympathizers, what will it take to make you see the light? This movement is PURE EVIL.

The red shirts in Bangkok. The absolute WORST house guests in the history of the world! We said you could crash on the sofa, not burn down the city!

Probably 90% of redare ashamed what is happening. Do not forget that moderate reds wanted to accept the road. Reds basically had legitimate requests and the best it could happen in the future is that politicians LISTEN and HEAR what 90% of Thai people (reds) have to say. All reds are not violent.

NO! I don't accept that answer and either will the majority in Thailand. If it was true why didn't these so called mainstream reds KICK OUT all violent people and leaders after Black Songkran? They didn't even denounce the terrorism then. You aren't fooling anyone. This is a violent movement and it won't change, no matter how much money Thaksin spends on shyster lawyers.

The reds showing their true colors, yet again. Not fake reds. REAL reds. For any remaining red terror sympathizers, what will it take to make you see the light? This movement is PURE EVIL.

The red shirts in Bangkok. The absolute WORST house guests in the history of the world! We said you could crash on the sofa, not burn down the city!

Most people respond to emotional without rational thinking.

I have not seen Thaksin in Bangkok recently

I have seen the majority of the red shirt protesters peacefully (they just go there for the money and listen to the music)

I am not of any color (ok I am a bit for brown) but all those people thinking they know the answers by choosing one of the 2 sides :)

We are only guests in the country. Fact to me is where 2 camps have a long running dispute, both parties are playing a major part.

And there where you give to much power to one simple individual they will do stupid things as they get arroused by the power.

Again, I am not pro thaksin but also no longer pro the current government. They have mismanaged the country to its current state.

Maybe time for all to step back and let the Thais clean up their mess, they really do not need or want our help

Edited by erikr_

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

Farangs won't be voting for the anybody at all, they have no vote.

the only way out of this mess is proper elections, Abhisit was put in place by the army. after all of this i doubt if Tahksin will get back in, this mess has back fired on him. ufortunately in a society were corruption is commonplace and accepted there can be no real democracy. So I dont see the problems going away in our lifetime, unless someone realy wants to change things. The real sad point is the country we all love is imploding, once the troubles stop will the tourists come back? if not what happens to the hard working law abiding people of Thailand who will be the ones most hurt by this madness.

Sorry to say you are wrong, Abhisit was not put in place by the military, he was elected, however it was not a general election so this is one the of reasons the Reds claim he is not a legal PM, however the two PM's prior to him after the coup were also elected in the same way. Im sure after all the dust settles thing will resume as usual in Thailand.

Probably 90% of redare ashamed what is happening. Do not forget that moderate reds wanted to accept the road. Reds basically had legitimate requests and the best it could happen in the future is that politicians LISTEN and HEAR what 90% of Thai people (reds) have to say. All reds are not violent.

NO! I don't accept that answer and either will the majority in Thailand. If it was true why didn't these so called mainstream reds KICK OUT all violent people and leaders after Black Songkran? They didn't even denounce the terrorism then. You aren't fooling anyone. This is a violent movement and it won't change, no matter how much money Thaksin spends on shyster lawyers.

I didn't see this clearly before but I do now. I viewed Black Songkran as the masses getting out of hand. This time, there is too much information that ties the Red Leaders to the violence. They started off OK in the rally. There were incidents of violence at the bridge but even then the Reds were suffering a blunt of casualties. The deal was offered and there was absolutely no reason not to take it. Sae Daeng spilled the beans before his assassination. Thaksin set out to burn down Central World. He is fixated on revenge.

Foreigners cannot vote. All we can do is sit back and bitch.

Or we can marry a Thai

Or have a Thai girlfriend

As Thaskin said money can buy most things

and a Farang looking after a Issan Family will have a lot of influence on their votes next election

My Thai wife says thousands of Thais will now be hurting as their family can not send money home

You think they are going to say Lets vote for the reds

Or

you offer is 500 baht but you took from us 30 ,ooo baht

Give them enough rope and they will hang them selves

Up till now Issan people did not really care as everything was in Bkk

Now its in their own back yards it will start effecting them

Come harvest time

Time to sell my crops

where do they sell the crops

no wholesalers

no buyers

Do I need to go one

who are the red shirts really hurting ?????

Yes Thaksin is fixated on revenge. But is this enough for him now? Of course not. Thailand is lucky to have a government who sees Thaksin for what he really is now. At least there is a fighting chance.

Damage estimates, red vs. yellow. At this point I reckon the reds damage to Thailand's economy and international reputation to be at least 100 times more severe than the damage the yellows did with the airport occupation. Is that enough revenge for the reds, destroying Thailand? Obviously not.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh believe me, we WILL be voting, with our money and resources!!

Yep, I wanna invest in Thailand. NOT!!!!! Pity for the employees of Central World. They aren't exactly the best paid people on the planet.

I don't think I'll really believe its gone until I see it with my own eyes.

Injustice and corruption and a kleptocratic government just love a peaceful people. Take Burma is for example. Such a lovely peaceful people, for death or incarceration is the alternative. If only the reds would see how the people there behaved, things would perhaps be so different. The point is the rich and powerful in Thailand have had a peaceful populous for a long long time and consequently avoided addressing the social issues relating to a massive rift in income distribution. The rich have had it so good for so long in this country. The UK understood social injustice and the need to address them as early as the first decade in the 20th Century. The Thai ruling elite kept the gas ring on full beneath the pressure cooker and without a pressure valve since this country started to industrialize. Your average Thai gets taught to dance and sing and to count and to read, but never ever to think outside the box, for that just might threaten the status quo. Some kid from Sri Sakhet competing for a job as an airline pilot.....heaven forbid...that's a reserved job for a son of the connected! The end result of keeping the rich rich and the poor poor is that this rather inarticulate people are rather susceptible to the charms of Thaksin and his populous policies. For once in their lives it seemed that a politician actually cared about their plight. What they see now is the powerful Bangkok elite taking that power away from the people (ultimately in the form of the surrender of the red leaders), so it is such a surprise what is happening now? I don't condone what they are doing, but this was caused by shear arrogance on the part of Apbisit. If he had resigned and held elections this would all never have started. The point isn't about whether setting fire to Central World is wrong or not, but that the fact that it is happening means that Apbisit has been shown to be completely incompetent and has failed miserably in dealing with this problem. Now god knows what has been unleashed caused by sheer bloody arrogance.

Please don't tell me about constitutional democracy and that Apbisit is there constitutionally. The point is the yellow camp don't want an election as that will mean red power. Quite simple really. All this could have been avoided if there was an election, except that the post election "terrorists" would have worn a different colour.

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

Yeah they certainly proved that today didn't they?!

Farangs won't be voting for the anybody at all, they have no vote.

the only way out of this mess is proper elections, Abhisit was put in place by the army. after all of this i doubt if Tahksin will get back in, this mess has back fired on him. ufortunately in a society were corruption is commonplace and accepted there can be no real democracy. So I dont see the problems going away in our lifetime, unless someone realy wants to change things. The real sad point is the country we all love is imploding, once the troubles stop will the tourists come back? if not what happens to the hard working law abiding people of Thailand who will be the ones most hurt by this madness.

I don't think what ever side people support they would want to see Bangkok burn. However, if you look back through different threads on this forum, what is happening now is exactly what people were afraid was going to happen if the government dispersed the protesters using force. I think things are going to get worse, a lot worse. The people who are burning Bkk should be held accountable to the full extent of the law and also the government (Abhasit and co) should be held responsible for gross mismanagement of the whole situation from start to where it is now. A very sad time for Thailand

Get a life will you

It is not the PM burning Bkk

He is only upholding the law

So your solution is make Bkk the land of the fittest

Throw out all laws and obedience

and let the thugs take over

I hope you not have a Thai partner

Red leaders are in custody at Naresuan military camp in Cha Am, Petchaburi province /via @tukky_NT

Something tells me they better fortify that military base really well tonight.

Whatever for? It's not as if there's some kind of history of Red Leaders obtaining quick and easy freedom from capture by government officials before, right?? :)

2x4tcs6max28.jpg

:::works for a while, and finally manages to dislodge his tongue from it's nearly permanent resting place in his cheek:::::

back ontopic: OMG, the City is burning. Why didn't they just shut these terrorists down, BEFORE it grew to to this?

Having seen the army lads in action today, on television and with my own eyes, I think we all owe them a debt of gratitude. Some of them may be 'watermelons' but they appear to have done what has needed to have been done for quite some time. Considering that many of them would have been conscripts as opposed to regulars, for some of them, it must have been difficult and probably very frightening.

Finally some backbone has been shown and as much as many of you will slay me in this forum, I think they have opened up the proverbial light at the end of tunnel.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't notice our 'men in brown' doing much other than trying to elbow their way into the televised surrender of Natthawut.

I hope the army have some night-vision scopes to pick off those ignoring the curfew and bring a semblance of normality back to this great city.

My sympathies to those who lost their lives today, regardless of 'colour', and to those struggling entrepreneurs and employees who have lost businesses and jobs.

This has been a sad day for Thailand but one I firmly believe will be a turning point in the right direction.

As for Central World? It will be rebuilt to great fanfare using the very same people that the Reds said demanded 'democracy'. So in a way, the Reds have guaranteed employment for thousands in the year to come and the insurance companies will cough up and so will we, their premium holders.

Edited by BKKBrit

Or we can marry a Thai

Or have a Thai girlfriend

As Thaskin said money can buy most things

and a Farang looking after a Issan Family will have a lot of influence on their votes next election

My Thai wife says thousands of Thais will now be hurting as their family can not send money home

You think they are going to say Lets vote for the reds

Or

you offer is 500 baht but you took from us 30 ,ooo baht

Give them enough rope and they will hang them selves

Up till now Issan people did not really care as everything was in Bkk

Now its in their own back yards it will start effecting them

Come harvest time

Time to sell my crops

where do they sell the crops

no wholesalers

no buyers

Do I need to go one

who are the red shirts really hurting ?????

Thais are well known for shooting themselves in the foot all the time.Have you ever seen a thai regretting something he did.I never have.

The good people of Thailand do not deserve the viciousness of Thaksin's red horde. May they all rot.

I would like to thank the Thai visa forum and the farangs who post here for their support for certain sections of Thai society. Your incessant rants on Thaskin the past several years have certainly made an impression on the minds of the yellow shirts, elitist, military generals, and poser wannabees polarizing the country here as impressionables consider the farang who post here so much more educated and higher status with their white skin and money. Little do they understand the posters here have their own agenda to maintain the status quo ie. Poverty among the poor for the cheep beer and cheep women. Where would Bangkok be without this forum for these posters to come here? OH Yea - BANGKOK BURNING

Probably 90% of reds are ashamed what is happening. Do not forget that moderate reds wanted to accept the road. Reds basically had legitimate requests and the best it could happen in the future is that politicians LISTEN and HEAR what 90% of Thai people (reds) have to say. All reds are not violent.

It would be really unfair to condmen all the reds. All the leaders that were arrested today, yes for sure.

I am confused. If 90% of Thai people are reds why did their party not manage to win an overall majority and are the opposition to a government who represent the majority of Thai voters. Are the reds so stupid they voted for the wrong guy?

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

I would get violent too

You are obviously not in Thailand nor have you followed what is going on here. You just show your ignorance by your comment. That is not what happened. So please refrain from posting when you have no idea what you are talking about.

I would get violent too

How would any country respond to a guy that was not born even in the same continent and then with a platinum spoon in his mouth and diamond in his cheeks then run their country 20 years later. How would you British like to have some one that spend 20 years or more in Zimbabwe on the other hand you should take him you Knighted him. Robert Mugabe :)

Edited by hardy1943

I hope that the owners of this Mall sue the finacial backers of the Red Shirts for every penny they have!

Txs for the laugh dude. You have a better chance of seeing a 30 mile wide comet slam into Lumpini Park.

Thanks for this comment. The comet made made me smile again.

Actaully a good friend of mine works, no, now i have to say USED TO WORK in that mall.

The moment i heard about the fire 10 minutes ago i only was thinking of her and the people that i know there.

Doing a hard job in all that loud surroundings, Neon lights and so on.

They lost their job now.

Maybe people died or got hurt.

Its so bad. i want to scream and cry and beat and hit some of the people who started the fire.

Its so bad....

The comet-thingy just gave me a little moment of patience, a little smile.

Even if all i wrote is a final thing. Not possible to bring that back....

No politics here, never did and i will not now.

But

THIS IS BAD, VERY BAD.

SHAME ON THOSE WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT

I feel sorry for the people of Thailand.

I am the same,and good feelings i had for the reds has gone,still hate the elitists though

The good people of Thailand do not deserve the viciousness of Thaksin's red horde. May they all rot.

I would like to thank the Thai visa forum and the farangs who post here for their support for certain sections of Thai society. Your incessant rants on Thaskin the past several years have certainly made an impression on the minds of the yellow shirts, elitist, military generals, and poser wannabees polarizing the country here as impressionables consider the farang who post here so much more educated and higher status with their white skin and money. Little do they understand the posters here have their own agenda to maintain the status quo ie. Poverty among the poor for the cheep beer and cheep women. Where would Bangkok be without this forum for these posters to come here? OH Yea - BANGKOK BURNING

Bar close early? Go back and check...

My sympathies to those who lost their lives today, regardless of 'colour', and to those struggling entrepreneurs and employees who have lost businesses and jobs.

Yes, exactly. It seems to some on here though some downtown shopping centre is more important than people who've died because of this.

I would get violent too

:D:):D please, enlighten us more with your wisdom on democracy and the peaceful red shirts :D

Edited by jbhh

I would get violent too

And who keep insisting on unreasonable demands? If I remember correctly, it was the UDD who demands that the PM and d-PM surrender to police for causing violence, while they were actually doing their duty to the country.

Get real dude, and actually read all the news, not just what you want to hear.

People like you disgust me.

I would get violent too

Tell us with what detergent your brain got washed? I might want to use it for my white underwear.

Quite a lot of foreigners do have full citizenship but what I really meant was for foreigners to dissaprove of the red movement in any way.

We may not have the vote but we are sure as hel_l able to influence how the wife votes. And possibly the rest of the family using the tried and tested Taksin way - Foreigners - buy the votes of family members.

That aside the fact is what was once a symbol of Thai pride and a source of valuable income is gone - Where the hel_l are we going to go to watch the world cup now!!!