Temporary Sluggishness Or Perpeptual Incompetence

melus

87a8bd8c7d.jpg

What is going on?

I'm paying a premium price for the SME package (2048/512), which theoretically has a user ratio of 20:1. The cheaper Hi-Speed Internet offerings have a 50:1 user ratio, so I can understand that with those packages occassionally the networks can get congested.

Is anyone else experiencing the lack of oomph that I am in their international Internet connection?

Even at 3:00 in the morning, my speed doesn't improve.

what is surprising on that?

be happy that it is working and there are not any lost packages, nameserver problems, blocking from transparent proxys.....

after some years in Thailand, I am gradefull to be able to read my foreign newspaper online and that I can send and receive emails, as extra bonus sometimes the emails I send also reach their destination......

Thats the internet service here :o

87a8bd8c7d.jpg

What is going on?

I'm paying a premium price for the SME package (2048/512), which theoretically has a user ratio of 20:1. The cheaper Hi-Speed Internet offerings have a 50:1 user ratio, so I can understand that with those packages occassionally the networks can get congested.

Is anyone else experiencing the lack of oomph that I am in their international Internet connection?

So, what you're saying is that if it is acceptable to you and you are grateful that I shouldn't complain that after nearly 10 years on the Internet in Thailand I'm still getting no better than dial-up speeds? :o

Ah, I thought I was the only one. I'm using the cafe package (which has similar share ratio to SME) and I was also experiencing weird network problems today... general sluggishness and packet drops.

Well, I hope that it's just True's normal sporadic network problems and not something permanant.

Thanks Firefox, I knew you were out there. BTW, what is your IP address on your cafe package? My problems all started when they switched me to the 58.11.38.xxx range. I have managed to increase the fire in my browser by tweaking the connection with the free program Zilla Connection Accelerator. If anyone is interested, here's the link:

http://www.zillasoft.ws/

Beware when installing it that you uncheck any add-ons you don't want.

I've tried a lot of tweak programs, but this one seems to work the best.

87a8bd8c7d.jpg

What is going on?

Well you should actually be gratefull to be that high, I usually get no more than 60k

Here in Europe I have 20MB for 400 baht but here I have 512 for 1000 baht

Thailand is about 9 years behind in terms of telecom + internet infra

Equipment is expensive and they don't always have the knowledge and know-how to implement those high tech toys. You have to take this into consideration. Kind of sad, but it's still better than nothing.

If you are expecting the same quality of service as a "developped" country, repeat to yourself that this is a developing country, much behind Singapore and Malaysia. Don't be fooled by the "appearance" of modernism in Thailand, because Thailand is not "advanced" but very much behind. However, their culture and lifestyle is much "sophisticated" than ours.

Edited by Butterfly

Butterfly, we (melus and I) are paying premiums for our packages, we're not using the normal and cheap "home" packages. We're paying more, and of course expect more (in my case I expect a lot more... I pay around 5x what "home" users pay).

Also, the speeds were OK most of the time, and for me they only got bad on monday. I'm a bit afraid of calling True to complain, since the last time I did that I ended up having my line cut for a week.

Melus, my IP range hasn't changed.

Firefoxx: you are paying more, but sorry to tell you, you can not expect more! there were several posts showing that the home package and the sme package is the same slow and lausy.

You get ripped off like we all, just for some more money.......

True sucks, but I happy to have it and not dial up...

Butterfly, we (melus and I) are paying premiums for our packages, we're not using the normal and cheap "home" packages.ย  We're paying more, and of course expect more (in my case I expect a lot more... I pay around 5x what "home" users pay).

Also, the speeds were OK most of the time, and for me they only got bad on monday.ย  I'm a bit afraid of calling True to complain, since the last time I did that I ended up having my line cut for a week.

Melus, my IP range hasn't changed.

Well, actually, I expect and usually *do* get more than the typical home package. I've done several "home" installations, and they're nowhere near the speed and stability I get on my connection.

Anyways, I expect (hope) that this sluggishness, which for me started on monday, is just a temporary thing. Similar things have happened before, and the problem resolved itself after some time.

It's certainly not a "nationwide/all ISP's thing"

I just upgraded my Ji-net compax 256/128 to the Maxnet 512/256 package (available only on TT&T lines)

An upgrade from 1650 Baht/month to 845 Baht/month :D:D

Speed has been very stable at 75% of rated speed (with a variation of less then 5% anytime of the day!) the last week.

Guess at that price I'm happy, especially since my more expensive/slower previous package also only worked at roughly 70% of rated speed.

Rather mistyfying since I just did a tracert and Maxnet is Ji-net. Uses the same IP-range, and everything goes through Ji-net's gateway :D

Go figure :o

Edited by monty

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 256/128 package from ISSP through TT&T. Just did a test with the following result:

Communications 142.2 kilobits per second

1MB file download 59 seconds

Subjective rating Mediocre

("Average" ADSL in Asia is supposed to be 350 kbs.)

This is from Korat, tested using http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

The user ratio is supposed to be 10:1.

It costs 1500 baht per month.

Switching next month to MaxNet: twice the bandwidth, half the price, but with a 20:1 user ratio.

It's certainly not a "nationwide/all ISP's thing"

I just upgraded my Ji-net compax 256/128 to the Maxnet 512/256 package (available only on TT&T lines)

An upgrade from 1650 Baht/month to 845 Baht/monthย  :Dย  :D

Speed has been very stable at 75% of rated speed (with a variation of less then 5% anytime of the day!) the last week.

Guess at that price I'm happy,ย  especially since my more expensive/slower previous package also only worked at roughly 70% of rated speed.

Rather mistyfying since I just did a tracert and Maxnet is Ji-net. Uses the same IP-range, and everything goes through Ji-net's gatewayย  :D

Go figureย  :o

Monty

Did you arrange the change at TT&T Carrefour?I had a terrible time there when I moved house,trying to get them to sort it out.

Also is it ok just to cancel J-Net with one month notice,do you notice a real change in speeds? thanks

International internet has been comparable to dial up since Monday for me too. I have a typical True home package. This is just more of the same from True, though it's unusual for it to be so bad for so long. Every day I hope that it's back to normal.

I love it when I call up and I'm told that international speed is "not guaranteed". Great. I'm glad they can keep sanook.co.th piped into my household. Then they want to go around with me checking my router, checking my internet setup options, etc.

I wish they'd stop wasting time and just say, "yeah, our international connection is screwed up right now, please wait for us to fix it".

Bartender,

I was kind of lucky having two TT&T lines in my condo, so I didn't have to cancel my Ji-net account until I had the Maxnet one up and running...

I just applied for the Maxnet account on my second TT&T number, at 1690 Baht for the minimum 2 months it was worth the gamble and it ended up being OK (at least it's faster compared to the ji-net account and cheaper) and now I just sent the cancelation for the Ji-net account...

Anyhow, Maxnet is Ji-net :D

Running a tracert when logged in with Maxnet shows exactly the same route through Ji-net's gateway as being logged in with Ji-net...

I can even use the username/password from both Ji-net and Maxnet on both my phone numbers :o

Seems TT&T got themselves some sort of deal with Ji-net...

Only thing I'm worried about is when they get more subscribers on the Maxnet accounts... Even so, until now, the Maxnet account is more stable compared to the Ji-net one... Ji-net slowed down during peak hours and Maxnet gives me the same stable 350 kbps 24 hours a day...

A little update for Bartender...

I just found out the phone line at a house I'm building at the Mabprachan lake is adsl enabled as well...

I asked TT&T at Carrefour if they could transfer my existing Ji-net account to the number at this house...

Unfortunatly this would have been to easy...

I have to cancel my Ji-net account in Jomtien first (30 days notice) and then apply for a a new one at my Mabprachan number

Oh well :o

Here is my test result from the site above. Pretty pathetic considering I'm paying for 2048/512 at a whopping 2,900 baht a month. But, as some people have said before on this Thai Visa web board, I should feel lucky that it's better than dial-up speeds.

cf92d39bae.jpg

My connection is still noticably poor compared to about 10 days ago or so when we first reported the new problems in this thread. I spend a lot of time playing world of warcraft so I'm sensitive to major changes in the connection quality.

Whereas before latency would usually be 350-600, it has turned to mostly 800-2500 at all times except for late at night in Thailand. In any 30 minute period the latency will be going all over the place. Frequently it is completely unresponsive only to finally connect again and find that my character had died.

I'm also sensitive to changes in speed as I have a streaming radio station playing in the background as I'm browsing. I've never experienced as many interruptions in the steams as in the past month or so. I wish they'd get their problems worked out at True a little bit quicker.

Your Internet Connection

Speed Results

File Size: 150.005 KB

Time Elapsed: 121.946 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9.84 Kbps

(1.23 KBps)

Your Internet Connection

Speed Results

File Size: 150.005 KB

Time Elapsed: 71.272 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16.8 Kbps

(2.1 KBps)

-------------------------------------------------------

101.9 kilobits per second

Communications 101.9 kilobits per second

Storage 12.4 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 1.4 minutes

Subjective rating Mediocre

Explain results

Info

Date & time Tuesday, July 5, 5:41AM*

Test type IDT4 Free

Connection type ADSL

Region Asia

Data size 1024KB

IP address 210.86.146.8

Provider

just wanted to add that tot's service has been bad at my end for the past few weeks also. it picks up for a few hours here and there, then its nearly dead for awhile. right now things are humming along.