Press And Media Blockage?

thailandbluegrass

Just 4 days ago on National Television didn't Abhisit invite the press and media that if they were going to go to their crackdown tactics that they would all be invited to observe and report?

Not TV just shows NO news and NO coverage. Only Ed Carabao playing songs and then the Government interupts to make further announcements.

Was this just a ploy to the world that they would leave the Media open and now that the Red leaders have surrendered they close the Media?

If you understand Thai, you will understand that they are keeping the people informed of what they are doing. What is wrong with the government informing its people and for this using all channels to make sure everybody gets the information? Would you prefer some stupid soap operas as usual rather than to know what is about to happen?

If you understand Thai, you will understand that they are keeping the people informed of what they are doing. What is wrong with the government informing its people and for this using all channels to make sure everybody gets the information? Would you prefer some stupid soap operas as usual rather than to know what is about to happen?

The problem is, the Government arent telling the people exactly what is happening. They dont want them to know. Thats why they have taken over the TV stations and are showing them nothing.

Thats dictatorship.

Any way you look at it Abhisit is finished.

The problem is, the Government arent telling the people exactly what is happening. They dont want them to know. Thats why they have taken over the TV stations and are showing them nothing.

Thats dictatorship.

My missus is a bit upset there's no soaps on... just "we love Thailand" commercials with music..

Thats dictatorship.

The governement isn't telling the people exactly what is happening... Guess the government is not made of future tellers. You have seen the reports the whole day of what IS happening. Remember the government is RE-acting not acting. And again, if you understood what they say, you would know what their plan is to handle the situation. Sorry for you, if the TV stations right now do not have any more riot scenes to entertain you. They apparently see the information to over 60 million Thai people as more important than to entertain you.

Dictatorship, you must have been blindfolded with a red towel. What exactly is it when people burn buildings in which people stay? How do you call it, when people burn and destroy everything they can just out of stupidity? Is it called anarchy?

Fristly, I really don't think the actual government is a dictatorship. But if I had to choose between an intelligent dictator and some braindead anarchists, I'll choose the first.

Abhisit is not finished at all. There is a huge mass who keeps silent that supports him. You don't need to believe this (you won't anyway). Just remember it when the future will show you. Hopefully by then you'll be able to take off your read head band that slipped down over your eyes.

Thats dictatorship.

My missus is a bit upset there's no soaps on... just "we love Thailand" commercials with music..

...and reports, discussions, exchanges of minds, and an attempt to remind people about the values of Thai society. Anyone who looks carefully at the pictures they show during the music will understand what they are trying to, same for those who listen to what is discussed. But I agree, just watching soaps is less challenging for most of the Thais.

Thats dictatorship.

The governement isn't telling the people exactly what is happening... Guess the government is not made of future tellers. You have seen the reports the whole day of what IS happening. Remember the government is RE-acting not acting. And again, if you understood what they say, you would know what their plan is to handle the situation. Sorry for you, if the TV stations right now do not have any more riot scenes to entertain you. They apparently see the information to over 60 million Thai people as more important than to entertain you.

Dictatorship, you must have been blindfolded with a red towel. What exactly is it when people burn buildings in which people stay? How do you call it, when people burn and destroy everything they can just out of stupidity? Is it called anarchy?

Fristly, I really don't think the actual government is a dictatorship. But if I had to choose between an intelligent dictator and some braindead anarchists, I'll choose the first.

Abhisit is not finished at all. There is a huge mass who keeps silent that supports him. You don't need to believe this (you won't anyway). Just remember it when the future will show you. Hopefully by then you'll be able to take off your read head band that slipped down over your eyes.

Just in case your Yellow head band fell over YOUR eys please real my Original posting again;

Just 4 days ago on National Television didn't Abhisit invite the press and media that if they were going to go to their crackdown tactics that they would all be invited to observe and report?

Not TV just shows NO news and NO coverage. Only Ed Carabao playing songs and then the Government interupts to make further announcements.

Was this just a ploy to the world that they would leave the Media open and now that the Red leaders have surrendered they close the Media?

Thats dictatorship.

Very well said!

Thats dictatorship.

Try the red shirts attacked all the reporters and their stations, Thai reporters probably dont want to be on the street and who would blame them. They also attacked a French photographer today.

I think they should have been doing helmet cams this whole time to show what is going on, if they can do it in sports why not war.

Just in case your Yellow head band fell over YOUR eys please real my Original posting again;

This is a very difficult political situation for any government to handle.

- Obviously the Thai Government need to keep as much control as possible at the moment,

- They need to prevent wild rumours spreading.

- There are a lot of crazy nutters out there.

- Not forgetting that the Thai mentality is different than the Western one.

They have made the correct decision to control the news for the moment, I am certain that normal service will resume shortly.

I don't have Ed Carabao on my TV. I've got people in a studio, discussing the situation and giving out information. Which seems fairly standard for a curfew / state of emergency.

I agree, this is exactly what I would expect anywhere when there is a state of emergency across the country. I don't care which side your bread is buttered, these are exceptional times and require special treatment.

OMFG !!!!! Please read my OP. He stated this DURING the state of emergency. So why tell the world that they have special tactics and INVITE the media and then after the red leaders surrendered they close the media? Many posts but most of you are not reading the OP.

Sorry the the posts that are so far GREAT.

I don't support the after math terrorists BUT the Thai Government should at least stick to their word. Not that they ever have....

I understand that, but it was also stated before a curfew was in place. I'm not condoning it one way or another, but it's understandable that state run TV would change when something as serious as a curfew occurs. Out of interest, does anybody know if the curfew applies to foreign media- would reporters from the BBC etc have to head indoors as well?

OMG I DID read it and replied. As far as I am aware the press have not been excluded at any point from anywhere during the state of emergency but they understandably decided it was just too hot out there for them to report, but what do you suggest they report on when there is a CURFEW on? Perhaps point the camera out of the hotel window and say "hmm looks a bit dark out there and in the distance that faint glow is Central World".

What do you suggest as an alternative, I am fascinated to hear. Maybe you would like an endless loop of rooftop reports?

Thats dictatorship.

Thats dictatorship.

Seriously this is not the underlying issue.

Did you hear Korn on CNN or BBC?

The Thai media is 'biased' or virtually 'propaganda'. But it has nothing to do with the 'Government'. The TV is controlled and censored by the military.

He said two things which I am sure will not be on Thai TV. (1) That as part of the reconciliation process they will have elections as soon as possible and (2) that we need a 'free press'.