An Interesting Visa Trip To Laos

An interesting trip to Laos a few days ago. I and two other teachers finished at a government school at the end of Feb, because the school decided they could not afford the salaries as they were, and were going to lower them by 10K Baht a month, for this new semester, plus a few other changers. They told us the would not cancel our work permits and let them run out mid May. (a few days ago.)

Our actual head of the English Dept. was a very nice lady and did try to help us during our time there and was sorry to see us go, but understood the situation. Everything was going well, until about a week ago, when she rang both of us to say that while she was away overseas, a new office staff member had by mistake, cancelled the work permits early April.

I think she was genuinely sorry, and offered us a letter from the school to explain to Immigration what had happened, but of course did not know if it would help. So, long story, short story, we headed up to Laos to pay/not pay the overstay fee, and start all over again with a tourist visa till we found new jobs.

Now this is where it gets weird, Passports, letters from the school, and money in hand, two of us went to the Immi. Office, ready to do a bit of explaining and maybe begging even !!!

I went first, and handed over my passport, with the letter ready to show. I hear the Immi. Lady speaking in Thai, and I'm sure I heard the word 'overstay', so opening the envelope and getting out the letter, and I'm ready to say something, BUT, the lady stamped my passport, took out the TR 47 form, and handed it back. I must have had about 3 seconds of blankness before I suddenly realized I had better wai her, say thanks in Thai, and quickly, but not too quickly get out of there, before she perhaps realised she made a mistake and called me back. The same thing happened for the other teachesr who came with me.

This has got to be under the heading 'T.I.T. so how can it be explained??

I had some somewhat strange thoughts that we might have to pay at the embassy, or they would refuse new visas, or when we returned and made to pay before we re-entered Thailand. But no, nothing strange happened. So I write this here to see if something weird happened, or were we just lucky, maybe the school mucked up and the info didn't get through, I think a bit of a mystery we will never figure out!!!

If this is in the wrong section I appreciate the moderators moving it.

Happen to me once with a overstay of 5 days at the Aiport. There they didnt charge me. 3 Month later when I went to Poipet/Aranyaprathet Border to activate my second entry of my double entry visa the surprise came since they made me pay the 5 days overstay. from 3 month ago.

Happen to me once with a overstay of 5 days at the Aiport. There they didnt charge me. 3 Month later when I went to Poipet/Aranyaprathet Border to activate my second entry of my double entry visa the surprise came since they made me pay the 5 days overstay. from 3 month ago.

Well, just as I was feeling relaxed about the whole thing, you have got me a bit worried again !!

I wonder if this is a new way of doing things here??

Something the other teacher & I have to think about now, & we both got the free double entry visa from Vientianne...

Edited by aussieboi

That is indeed interesting.

My guess is that the work permit office were a bit slow in doing the paperwork on their side.

What province of Thailand?

Nonthaburi.

Yep, that might be the answer, or maybe some typo that didn't register on Immi. website, but after seeing

klauswernst198's imput, as I said, I'm getting a bit worried again !!!

Edited by aussieboi

Could be the fact that they were going to be forgiving on short overstays due to the unrest and curfew conditions.....

I sure hope thats the case and there are no shocks the next time I have to leave the country !!

Was your visa cancelled, too? Otherwise a cancelled work permit is not something the Thai consulate in Vientiane would know about it unless you told them.

I really don't know if the visa was cancelled, but I thought than when a work permit is cancelled, it's connected to a Non B visa, so is it automatic or not?

It was a new office person from that school who cancelled the WP, perhaps they made some mistake on the paperwork, or there was a hold up at the receiving end ????

If you still have the permit to stay stamped in your passport, then it's irrelevant what happened to your work permit. Thai embassies and consulates abroad don't involve themselves in work permit issues; they only issue visas.

• 2 weeks later...

If you still have the permit to stay stamped in your passport, then it's irrelevant what happened to your work permit. Thai embassies and consulates abroad don't involve themselves in work permit issues; they only issue visas.

:) Thanks for yours & all the replies, I feel pretty confident that I won't have any problem when I have to go thru Immigration again, but just a little thought at the very back of my mind about what klauswernst198 said.......