Thai Govt Must Now Deal With The Real Grievances

webfact

Forget the redshirts and thaksin. the bangkok elite will do it their way. they always have. these western ideas are not relevant. they are not in listening mode because they do not need to be.

i know one of these families, they own amongst other things a very big restaurant in bangkok, apart from the disgust at the way they treat their staff, their attitude to the basic rights of their fellow thais is deplorable. They dont want democracy. They are content with what they have now. That is what needs to change here.

There is certainly a small number of moderately wealthy people like that. But this is a tiny minority. The restaurant owners I know worth in the 30 - 50 million baht range that treat their employees very well. Most of the middle class does not treat people poorly, and the extremely wealthy know democracy is totally irrelevant anyway.

So I would disagree that this is an important consideration. Really just a few bad apples out of a bunch. What is important to change here is the communication between the government and the rural populace. There needs to be a program to reach out to the villages and explain all that the government is already doing to help them, and allow them a way to express their grief and disappointment. Often times, all people really want is a sympathetic ear.

Most importantly, the Thaksin network that allows these poor rural people to be brainwashed with lies and propaganda that is destructive to reconciliation needs to be crushed. Most everyone I know wants reconciliation. Even the rural villagers don't hate the rest of the country. What they do not have is proper information to allow them to understand how to achieve their desires.

The problems with Thai society aren't really that severe. In my own experience the poor in Issan are actually treated better than the poor in the West. It is only the way that wealthy figures have manipulated the situation that makes it appear like it is a huge problem. And that was always for their benefit, not the benefit of the poor.

The poor have faced injustices for sure. We all have. But that doesn't mean we can't reconcile for the good of the country. The problem is with the wealthy extremists who would happily destroy the country for their own benefit. We need to limit their ability to incite hatred.

That starts with cutting off access to the funds used to incite division. That is the real way forward.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abisith's model is... Thaksin.

He wants to be the Thai strong man. As he's not loved by the population, the only solution he has is to use strength.

He has no intention to discuss with anyone.

Hardly - but then you would not understand. My father always said don't argue with a fool - it only proves their point. Took me a few years to figure that out.

"In the final analysis, the grievances raised by the reds must be taken up if true national reconciliation is to take place."

it would have been smarter, and easier, to do that BEFORE putting a bullet into Sae Daeng's head, and all that followed, no?

and will national reconciliation include exposing the sniper, and he who ordered him? will it include punishing the coup plotters?

or, dear Nation, does your version of national reconcilliation mean defeating the Reds and leaving it at that.

Methinks some sentiments are expressed in English, and very different sentiments are thought in Thai.

This has to be one of Mr Abhists greatest achievements.

70 arrests since Wednesday and no further deaths or injuries reported.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Prose...m-30129937.html

Police on Friday brought more than 70 red shirts to the Southern Bangkok Court for a remand hearing on charges related to the violations of the emergency rule.

About 60, comprising 50 men and 10 women, were named suspected accomplices in the riots spreaded across the capital on Wednesday following the end of the Rajprasong rally.

The other 13 were arrested when fully armed with Home-made Bombs and weapon-like devices.

Since Wednesday, the suspects have been detained under the police's custody at the Naresuan base in Cha-am, Phetchaburi along with the eight red-shirt leaders, including Veera Musigapong.

"

In the final analysis, the grievances raised by the reds must be taken up if true national reconciliation is to take place."

Agreed, however the grass roots movement was hi-jacked by Thaksin for HIS OWN ENDS not the ends of the common people,

t would have been smarter, and easier, to do that BEFORE putting a bullet into Sae Daeng's head, and all that followed, no?

problem was that Sae Dang was rather in favour of putting bullets into other peoples heads and very pro the using of any form of violence as his rhetoric demonstrated.

and will national reconciliation include exposing the sniper, and he who ordered him? will it include punishing the coup plotters?

As to who shot him , well indeed one of those unanswerable questions akin to the truth concerning 9/11

or, dear Nation, does your version of national reconcilliation mean defeating the Reds and leaving it at that.

There will be more to it than that, all sides have to come to the table and be like the rice stalk that bends with the wind so as it will not break.

Your thoughts, my thoughts, everyone's thoughts are all expressed in different languages.

Twenty years of living and working here and even now every day is a new experience within our family Thai (Khmer) and English our moo bahn totally Thai and a workplace with some 12 different nationalities.

Indeed the time frame is going to be a long one as was and is regarding the road to Thai style, Asian style democracy models

Edited by siampolee

This has to be one of Mr Abhists greatest achievements.

70 arrests since Wednesday and no further deaths or injuries reported.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Prose...m-30129937.html

Police on Friday brought more than 70 red shirts to the Southern Bangkok Court for a remand hearing on charges related to the violations of the emergency rule.

About 60, comprising 50 men and 10 women, were named suspected accomplices in the riots spreaded across the capital on Wednesday following the end of the Rajprasong rally.

The other 13 were arrested when fully armed with Home-made Bombs and weapon-like devices.

Since Wednesday, the suspects have been detained under the police's custody at the Naresuan base in Cha-am, Phetchaburi along with the eight red-shirt leaders, including Veera Musigapong.

Reuters: Thai state emergency centre says has report of 9 bodies in Bangkok shopping plaza after recent violence /via @richardbarrow

Abhisit has no support internationally at all.

This goverment is not qualified to deal with the real grievances, they havent made any progress with reconcilliation (actually they did the opposite) so what makes anyone think they can heal the country?

One thing is for sure, the governemtn propaganda machine sure has brainwashed a lot of people.

Well done, SP, from constructive, intelligent, balanced op-ed piece to utter tripe in less than half a page.

Actually your ranting sounds familiar - you're Lily Savage's dim-wit brother aren't you ?? :)

Edited by Gambles

It is sad to see that whereas plenty of posters were prepared to back evermore violent solutions to the immediate problem in Bkk - - there are now many fewer who seem to be able to see past the current crisis, past the personalities and see the root causes of the situation.

I'm not criticizing the posters on this thread where some good points have been made - so much as it seems that in general on Thaivisa there seems now a reluctance to see the situation in Thailand for what it is (holistically) and a tendency to see things in oversimplified terms in black and white and cling to assumptions such as that if one were to criticize Abhisit one must therefore be pro Thaksin. Anyone who looks more closely at the Thai malaise will see that they are BOTH only symptoms (or opportunists) rather than causes.

It is symptomatic the Thaksin was never brought to task for the civil rights abuses he presided over but was removed by force and subsequently tried by a legal system in the clutches of his opponents - many of whom probably couldn't see anything wrong in his actions in the South or against a so called "drug problem"

I agree with the Nation editorial, it is a time for reconciliation; and one will have to pray hard to forget and forgive.

But things will not get better unless the word "discrimination" is brought out in the open. How SOME ThaiChinese (who own many of the businesses) can treat the "non-Chinese Thai" as second class citizens. And how the government keeps failing to imporve the education system in the rural areas and to give more farming subsidies. In the cities, it seems the "cheap work force" are the people from Isaan and there are no unions or legislation that helps to have job security, a decent wage, or reasonable weekly working hours. Earning 200 baht a day, working 10 hours a day is hard to live off from in Bangkok. If one looks at the magazine or TV advertisements, who do you see? Not people from Isaan or from the Northern provinces. If a business has a choice between hiring a light skin Thai or a dark skin Thai, who will most likely get the job?

True, Thaksin had a big part of this Red Party Rally, but his "tea-money" did not turn this many people to become so full of anger (or gullible)...something else had to "click". If everyone thinks it is totally Thakisn's fault, then they will be missing the real cause of this division and no one will learn from this nightmare.

Note: Back in the 60's the USA had "rebellions"/ riots on their city streets due to discrimination; fortunately, the protests and unrest was a wake-up call and things began to change. Today, things are not perfect, but the USA has made amazing progess on this issue because of open discussion, laws to protect one from discrimination, and more of an effort to include minorities in the work force, colleges, and military.

Reconciliation - this would infer that Thailand was "conciled" before - but the split in Thai society is old and deep - calls for "reconciliation" I would suggest are for the most part a call by those in power, the elite and their supporters for a return to the old "status quo" - which is basically the cause of the problem; so "reconciliation" must surely be a no-no for a long-term solution.

The call has to be for "change and reform" - something that Abhisit has yet to embrace.

It is sad to see that whereas plenty of posters were prepared to back evermore violent solutions to the immediate problem in Bkk - - there are now many fewer who seem to be able to see past the current crisis, past the personalities and see the root causes of the situation.

I'm not criticizing the posters on this thread where some good points have been made - so much as it seems that in general on Thaivisa there seems now a reluctance to see the situation in Thailand for what it is (holistically) and a tendency to see things in oversimplified terms in black and white and cling to assumptions such as that if one were to criticize Abhisit one must therefore be pro Thaksin. Anyone who looks more closely at the Thai malaise will see that they are BOTH only symptoms (or opportunists) rather than causes.

It is symptomatic the Thaksin was never brought to task for the civil rights abuses he presided over but was removed by force and subsequently tried by a legal system in the clutches of his opponents - many of whom probably couldn't see anything wrong in his actions in the South or against a so called "drug problem"

Really good post

" there are now many fewer who seem to be able to see past the current crisis, past the personalities and see the root causes of the situation."

I agree if you add " there are many fewer who post....

Many ageree with you but decide not to post on an open forum.

caf

Reconciliation - this would infer that Thailand was "conciled" before - but the split in Thai society is old and deep - calls for "reconciliation" I would suggest are for the most part a call by those in power, the elite and their supporters for a return to the old "status quo" - which is basically the cause of the problem; so "reconciliation" must surely be a no-no for a long-term solution.

The call has to be for "change and reform" - something that Abhisit has yet to embrace.

I'm curious Deeral. What kind of "change and reform" do you propose?

To do it right he need to continue to refer to his road map that is not dead and still going forward.

But he needs to add to the map complete investigation of what exactly cause of riot and make sure follow the money and include terrorisms act by everyone including the people who funded , incited, and ordered all these destructions

Before he investigates the cause of the riots. He firstly needs to investigate who sent the army in to incite a demonstration and shoot their own countrymen, and who was shooting all the grenades off, and who accused who off shooting grenades not at the barracks but elsewhere.

The only real grievance this govt. seems to have is one. THAKSIN.

Abhispit's road map does not include investigating prior criminal actions from members of the PT, Democrat party, Bhumjai Party, etc. and the yellow shirts, no colours etc. He only wants Thaksin not other members of the opposition party?????? and red shirts.You do the crime you pay the time, whatever your background. His road map does not cover corruption for anyone, and the paying back of excessive wealth gained except for Thaksin. So the criminal who pushes aside his friends crimes is just a big a criminal as Thaksin.

Peace and fairness to Thailand.

Abhisit must be very constipated with all the farangs who are up his ass... :):D
Only the government can provide stability and security. No one else can protect property rights. It's hardly surprising that farangs tend to be conservative.

Unfortunately, the long term outlook for future stability and security in the Kingdom isn't encouraging unless significant reforms leading to genuine power sharing are undertaken. Too many of the disenfranchised in this country got a taste of the power of the ballot box during the Thaksin era. We're now witnessing their strength in numbers and grassroots organizing ability. They won't be satisfied with anything less than the ability to elect candidates sympathetic to the needs and wishes of ordinary Thais.

Edited by misterjag

The government dont have to deal with just the greivances of the poor but also the greivances of all those intimidated and forced from employment by the reds over this whole period. These people want to see the red leaders properly punished for their inciting of arson and intimidation. They dont want to see the red leaders quietly let off or pardoned and they arent going to be able to use the yellow card as they have gone way way beyond that. Look at the anger thathas been sparked by the pics of the red leaders in relative luxury. The government cant avoid this issue either but nobody is talking about that now.

Friday, May 21, 2010

An Open Letter to the Red Shirts

written by Khun Somtow Sucharitkul and "quoted by permission of the author"* (pls see below)

"S.P. Somtow is an author, composer, filmmaker, and international media personality whose dazzling talents and acerbic wit have entertained and enlightened fans the world over."**

I am writing you this letter because in the past six weeks I have often been angry. I've often been disappointed, disillusioned, and frustrated. But there was only one moment in this entire agonizing sequence that moved me to tears. That was when your leader, Veera Musikaphong, surrendered to the authorities, and spoke of his dreams, his disappointments, and his enduring hopes.

As the smoke dies down, you are going to be told that you were lied to, duped, tricked, bought and betrayed; that you were tools of evil men who did not truly care about your fate; that you are terrorists, arsonists, destroyers of our culture, king-haters. It will be said that you destroyed the country's international image and obstructed its economic recovery. Worst of all, you will be told that you are all ignorant people who have misused your political voices because you didn't understand democracy.

I am afraid that in many cases, the people who say these things will be telling the truth. The instant rebirth that you wanted for our country has turned out to be more of a false dawn. Many crimes have been committed and both sides have hidden important facts from each other.

Even though these things are in many cases true, I want you to know that they have not invalidated other truths: the truths that you carried in your hearts when you set out to air your grievances in a peaceful demonstration.

The doors that should have opened for you years ago, when this country became a democracy, have opened too slowly. The education that you need to become equal participants in society has been withheld too long. The voice that you have always had has been discovered too late, and because it was so long pent up, it is been expressed destructively. And the worst destruction was not that of a few shopping malls and banks; it was the destruction you wreaked upon yourselves.

But I want you to know that when it comes to the liberation of the human spirit, history is on your side. The road towards a more perfect democracy may be difficult, but it is unstoppable. You did not lose this war. But I hope you will have learned from it. The question is not whether the war will be won, but how it will be won: through mayhem and bloodshed, or through slow, painful discussion and compromise — through evolution — the civilized way.

It may be hard for you to believe this, but many people who have been painted as your enemies share your most cherished dreams. For example, I sincerely believe that the prime minister, K. Abhisit, comes philosophically closer to those dreams than a number of your leaders. If he did not — if his mindset had been that of some of the military dictators Thailand has had in the past — the carnage of the last few days would have been unconscionable.

I also believe that many of your leaders, like K. Veera, share the hopes and dreams of those not affiliated with your movement, because they are, by and large, the hopes and dreams of all Thai people: to live in peace, not to spend your life in a mindless struggle to survive, to have the same chance as anyone else at realizing your aspirations and becoming fulfilled human beings.

It may be too soon to hope for this, because the mutual anger and distrust are still too great. If K Veera is found guilty of any crimes, justice will have to be served, just as much as if K Suthep were found to have abused his authority. But it would be a beautiful thing to see idealists like K. Veera playing a role in an Abhisit government. Such a compromise occurred in Italy decades ago, and it saved their country from a potentially disastrous internecine struggle.

You have changed Thailand for ever by discovering, and showing your fellow citizens, that you have the right to think, and to speak, and to act. I urge you to go further. Keep thinking. But think for yourselves. Don't think what you're told to think. Speak what you think, not what you are told to speak. And act with your minds as well as your hearts, and in the interests of all, even those whom you disagree with.

Not many people in Bangkok would feel grateful to you at this moment. But I do want to thank you. What you did was really important, though perhaps not for the reasons you think. And I want to explain why.

When you build a road, you will sometimes come to a mountain. To get to the other side, you may have to go around it. You may have to dig a tunnel. Or you have to blow up the mountain.

Thailand has come to that mountain. But for at least two decades, no one has been willing to go around, dig a tunnel, or blow up the mountain. Yet everyone knows we must get through. The mountain is in the way. Some past governments have stolen your money to build golden hot-air balloons so that a few individuals could get across, not caring if the rest were stranded. Others have talked and talked and talked, but the mountain is still there. Of course you are impatient.

You didn't blow down the mountain, but the tragic events that have unfolded have convinced everyone that it is time to move on. Your people — and the soldiers, too — did not suffer and die in vain. Though we seem to be in darkness and chaos, a fuller democracy is closer today than it has been at any time during the Thaksin administration and all its successors. There will come a time when people will realize that you opened their eyes, that you all contributed to this major turning point in Thailand's history. In time, the rest of the nation will understand it, and come to acknowledge it, and even embrace it. For in embracing those we thought our enemies, we really embrace ourselves.

http://www.somtow.org/2010/05/open-letter-to-red-shirts.html

* "quoted by permission of the author"

http://www.somtow.org/2010/05/permission-to-quote.html Saturday, May 22, 2010

** WHO is Khun Somtow Sucharitkul ?

** http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/somtow-sucharitkul/ His books, Anthologies, Short stories and Awards

** http://www.somtow.com/bio.html/ Biopraphy

Her Majesty Queen Sirikit & Khun Somtow Sucharitkul - 4 December 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._P._Somtow

LaoPo

The government dont have to deal with just the greivances of the poor but also the greivances of all those intimidated and forced from employment by the reds over this whole period. These people want to see the red leaders properly punished for their inciting of arson and intimidation. They dont want to see the red leaders quietly let off or pardoned and they arent going to be able to use the yellow card as they have gone way way beyond that. Look at the anger thathas been sparked by the pics of the red leaders in relative luxury. The government cant avoid this issue either but nobody is talking about that now.

Hmmmmm

So far we have the "Thaksin wasn't so bad" posts ....

the "other people did/do it too" posts

the "government is the problem" posts

And a few good posts from people like Hammered and Gregb

Thaksin remains a focal point. Why? He keeps himself as a focal point to exert control.

What people are eaving out of the equation is that the government HAS information enough to make charges stick against most if not all of the people they want to deal with. Thailand has been getting help in tracking large money transfers. Thailand has been getting help with intercepting communications. The red shirt leaders have said enough from the stage to convict them of terrorism, inciting riots, insurrection, and sedition. Jatuporn hiding behind parliamentary immunity KNOWS that he's open to prosecution at any moment since his immunity can be revoked. (That should have been done before!)

Abhisit took things slowly and even though that made him look weak at times it will likely pay off for him in the long run. He managed NEVER to have sent troops into Rachprasong and in doing it his way saved 100's of lives. He sealed off the area enough to get the violent lesser members of the red's guards/militia to go out to fight. Making the army the defensive force. (Wonder why there were so few army casualties? Get the guards that are less well armed to leave the protection provided by hiding amongst women and children and to get them to attack armed and armored defensive troops! The ronin appear to have, like last time, been willing to only fight from inside the red perimeter. To come out on the red perimeter and fight the army face-to-face just wasn't in their plans.) The last day he STILL didn't have to send troops in to disperse the crowd. When he pushed the reds back from Sala Daeng to Salasin the leaders knew it was over. They had one last thing to offer BKK though. They released the crowd to burn the city. They, hopefully, will be held responsible for that. They may be able to let Veera and some others more or less off-the-hook IF they can hang the heaviest charges on Jatuporn, Weng, Arisaman, Sae Daeng (posthumously), Isaan Rambo, and Nattawut and of course Thaksin.

Now, how can there be a real reconciliation in Thailand? First it will take people realizing that the distribution of wealth in Thailand is not that different than in many developed nations including the USA. Redistributing wealth itself isn't the way forward. The way forward wil be through opportunity, education, infrastructure, and debt relief for the poorest.

Opportunity and education go hand-in-hand. It is vital to start enforcing labor law and expanding current labor law. This won't help farmers but it will provide real work benefits to many of the poor in Thailand. Discimination laws will need to be put in place along with the education (propoganda) to make them understood. Infrastructure improvements are needed in many areas of the country. Improved roads, rehauling the rail system and updating it to make it useful for freight etc. New schools and hospitals and clinics and an improved system of education are mandatory. Abhisit's free for 15 years education is great but Thai teacher's pay needs to go up significantly. Each school need the funding not only for the free education but for the books, a school breakfast and lunch program that fills nutritional guidelines etc. Schools should also have a budget to get students to and from school. Rural communities may be fairly spread out and the cost of getting to and from school should be factored in.

Anti-corruption laws need to apply to schools too! No extra fees should be charged for ANY government school. School administrators asking for, encouraging or accepting tea-money for admission should be jailed! All core curriculum classes must be free to all. Additional classes such as EP's or MEP's etc should be free and merit based.

Debt relief has been started on but rather than doing it part-way it should be made into a clean slate for ANY person with less than 60k/year income and/or families on a sliding scale. This should be a one time only "debt amnesty" and obviously can only be applied to bank loans or government debt. Legitimate credit should be easier to obtain but not so easy that it leads to debt issues in the future. Starting with farmers is the way to go BUT it should spread out to manufacturing workers etc.....

Friday, May 21, 2010

written by Khun Somtow Sucharitkul and "quoted by permission of the author"* (pls see below)

"S.P. Somtow is an author, composer, filmmaker, and international media personality whose dazzling talents and acerbic wit have entertained and enlightened fans the world over."**

I am writing you this letter because in the past six weeks I have often been angry. I've often been disappointed, disillusioned, and frustrated. But there was only one moment in this entire agonizing sequence that moved me to tears. That was when your leader, Veera Musikaphong, surrendered to the authorities, and spoke of his dreams, his disappointments, and his enduring hopes.

As the smoke dies down, you are going to be told that you were lied to, duped, tricked, bought and betrayed; that you were tools of evil men who did not truly care about your fate; that you are terrorists, arsonists, destroyers of our culture, king-haters. It will be said that you destroyed the country's international image and obstructed its economic recovery. Worst of all, you will be told that you are all ignorant people who have misused your political voices because you didn't understand democracy.

I am afraid that in many cases, the people who say these things will be telling the truth. The instant rebirth that you wanted for our country has turned out to be more of a false dawn. Many crimes have been committed and both sides have hidden important facts from each other.

Even though these things are in many cases true, I want you to know that they have not invalidated other truths: the truths that you carried in your hearts when you set out to air your grievances in a peaceful demonstration.

The doors that should have opened for you years ago, when this country became a democracy, have opened too slowly. The education that you need to become equal participants in society has been withheld too long. The voice that you have always had has been discovered too late, and because it was so long pent up, it is been expressed destructively. And the worst destruction was not that of a few shopping malls and banks; it was the destruction you wreaked upon yourselves.

But I want you to know that when it comes to the liberation of the human spirit, history is on your side. The road towards a more perfect democracy may be difficult, but it is unstoppable. You did not lose this war. But I hope you will have learned from it. The question is not whether the war will be won, but how it will be won: through mayhem and bloodshed, or through slow, painful discussion and compromise — through evolution — the civilized way.

It may be hard for you to believe this, but many people who have been painted as your enemies share your most cherished dreams. For example, I sincerely believe that the prime minister, K. Abhisit, comes philosophically closer to those dreams than a number of your leaders. If he did not — if his mindset had been that of some of the military dictators Thailand has had in the past — the carnage of the last few days would have been unconscionable.

I also believe that many of your leaders, like K. Veera, share the hopes and dreams of those not affiliated with your movement, because they are, by and large, the hopes and dreams of all Thai people: to live in peace, not to spend your life in a mindless struggle to survive, to have the same chance as anyone else at realizing your aspirations and becoming fulfilled human beings.

It may be too soon to hope for this, because the mutual anger and distrust are still too great. If K Veera is found guilty of any crimes, justice will have to be served, just as much as if K Suthep were found to have abused his authority. But it would be a beautiful thing to see idealists like K. Veera playing a role in an Abhisit government. Such a compromise occurred in Italy decades ago, and it saved their country from a potentially disastrous internecine struggle.

You have changed Thailand for ever by discovering, and showing your fellow citizens, that you have the right to think, and to speak, and to act. I urge you to go further. Keep thinking. But think for yourselves. Don't think what you're told to think. Speak what you think, not what you are told to speak. And act with your minds as well as your hearts, and in the interests of all, even those whom you disagree with.

Not many people in Bangkok would feel grateful to you at this moment. But I do want to thank you. What you did was really important, though perhaps not for the reasons you think. And I want to explain why.

When you build a road, you will sometimes come to a mountain. To get to the other side, you may have to go around it. You may have to dig a tunnel. Or you have to blow up the mountain.

Thailand has come to that mountain. But for at least two decades, no one has been willing to go around, dig a tunnel, or blow up the mountain. Yet everyone knows we must get through. The mountain is in the way. Some past governments have stolen your money to build golden hot-air balloons so that a few individuals could get across, not caring if the rest were stranded. Others have talked and talked and talked, but the mountain is still there. Of course you are impatient.

You didn't blow down the mountain, but the tragic events that have unfolded have convinced everyone that it is time to move on. Your people — and the soldiers, too — did not suffer and die in vain. Though we seem to be in darkness and chaos, a fuller democracy is closer today than it has been at any time during the Thaksin administration and all its successors. There will come a time when people will realize that you opened their eyes, that you all contributed to this major turning point in Thailand's history. In time, the rest of the nation will understand it, and come to acknowledge it, and even embrace it. For in embracing those we thought our enemies, we really embrace ourselves.

** http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/somtow-sucharitkul/ His books, Anthologies, Short stories and Awards

LaoPo

What a truly astonishing letter.

Food for thought for all.

Friday, May 21, 2010

LaoPo

Could not agree with this more! Brilliant article.

Post #80 from jdinasia is excellent.

Unfortunately, although Thailand is in desperate need of the reforms mentioned, I doubt it is quite ready to deal with the issues mentioned.

If we take education and corruption, this covers most of what holds Thailand back. The only thing to add to jdinasia's comments about education is to try and find a way to encourage students (and their parents) to WANT education. The lazy, unmotivated, alcoholic family role models will take sometime to overcome.

Corruption - where to start ? Endemic throughout Thai society it allows Thaksin to be a hero DESPITE what he did (maybe even BECAUSE ofwhat he did). Greed and cheating manifests itself from an early age.

So, whilst I would dearly love to see Thailand take a huge step forward from here - but I fear it cannot. UNLESS, someone like K. Abhisit is able to deliver, on a plate, a package of measures (incorporating many of jdinasia's proposals) and, effectively, BUY the support of the masses.

Many cans of worms would be opened and, of course, you cannot change the balance of wealth in Thailand anymore than any other country. What you can do is show respect, compassion and encouragement to the sectors that are most disenfranchised.

Remember, Thaksin's populist policies (even designed to advantage him) did not bring the country together - they simply made him look popular and secured votes.

jdinasia should be ashamed to write such unsubstantiated stuff - the basic assumptions are so misinterpreted as to be useless - there are "facts" lais out as basis for argument that are nothing short of risible they are so inaccutate - purely subjective .....this is a fine example of blissful ignorance that keeps sp many in the dark.

It would seem if you really want to learn about Thailand's politics the only thing you'll learn on TV is the supreme aggression on the expat community to change.

'

Sadly the above letter is a good example of the "establishment's" attitude to the rank and file in Thailand.

It has a patronising attitude that really only reinforces the status quo.

:) ..Patronizing attitude...? by a highly respected man like Khun Somtow Sucharitkul ?

If you would study Khun Somtow a little more you would learn he's too intelligent to have his letter addressed in a patronizing way.

On the contrary: his Open Letter to the Red Shirts is a very clear diagnosis of the situation and a call for negotiations and reconciliation efforts which is an ABSOLUTE must for the Abhisit Government to try to calm the unrest amongst so many people and restore the peace in the country.

LaoPo

Erratum - Abhisit has presided over one of the biggest massacres in THailand for 2 decades.

Really? then what was this:

An estimated 2,500 people were killed during a three-month crackdown on drugs by Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2003....one of a half-dozen panels belatedly investigating the killings has reported that as many as 1,400 of those victims were killed and labeled drug suspects despite having no link to drugs.

More here: http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/512/th...ved_panel_finds

There's no shortage of massacres in the last few decades in Thailand - Rohingyas anyone? So if you start playing the blame game there's no ending to it.

Tak Bai.

jdinasia should be ashamed to write such unsubstantiated stuff - the basic assumptions are so misinterpreted as to be useless - there are "facts" lais out as basis for argument that are nothing short of risible they are so inaccutate - purely subjective .....this is a fine example of blissful ignorance that keeps sp many in the dark.

It would seem if you really want to learn about Thailand's politics the only thing you'll learn on TV is the supreme aggression on the expat community to change.

'

I have read alot of your posts Deeral and most if not all are just critisism of others.

I dont recall seing you ever make an attempt to put forward a suggestion of how things should be handled, except that the PM should quit.

Perhaps now you would like to give your version of what is needed to improve this country?

'

I have read alot of your posts Deeral and most if not all are just critisism of others.

I dont recall seing you ever make an attempt to put forward a suggestion of how things should be handled, except that the PM should quit.

Perhaps now you would like to give your version of what is needed to improve this country?

Im sure his version would start with "Well Abhisit needs to quit..." :)

Really?

I can see the tone and breadth of this discussion is narrowing now to a point where ad hominem posts will be the order of the day, splattered with the odd facile argument - but I regret to inform you I'm not going to take the bait.

There are the right people around everywhere if the Thai's want this to work.

I agree with the Khun Somtow letter that Lao Po put up. Vera belongs on the Roadmap, along with Abhisit and his team and people like Anand Panyarachun. The governemnet also have the names of the Reds who were sitting in peacefully in the Lockdown central when it was finally stormed. Get a few of them involved in reconciliation and going forward as well.