Briton In Red Shirt Demonstration Regrets Video Arson Gibe

george

I stand by one of my original points, are we doing any good, are we helping any potential visitors to Thailand gain information?

And your original point is just as irrelevant now as it was in the original post. Our goal here is not to make Eagle in the Boy Scouts or receive the Gold Award in the Girl Scouts. Really, it isn't. I've explained to you what it is.

Yawn. But if by "good" (a very subjective notion, as witnessed by the opinions forcefully held by one Mr. Jeff Savage) you mean "helping any potential visitors to Thailand gain information," then fortuitously in this instance the answer is yes.

Over the course of 27 pages (as of this writing), potential visitors have indeed been helped to learn as much as can be known publicly about a current resident of Thailand should they wish to know it. In another 27 pages, a few more facts may emerge.

And they've learned what a lot of people think about that resident and his actions.

Finally, potential visitors have learned much about the posters on TV--many of whom live here: their remarkably varied levels of maturity, education, and grace; their opinions and speculations about all sorts of off-topic subjects; their opinions about one another; and what kinds of responses the potential visitors may expect should they post here or, heaven forbid, wish to imitate Mr. Jeff Savage.

And that's about it, as for helping the potential visitors in this particular thread. Happy? Now, to continue entertaining ourselves . . . .

Yep, you've made your point and fair do, the man is a bell end, and yes some posts have given information, some not, but... and all credit to you, I gave an opinion, to which you disagree, and it's been amicable and I value your opinion, but I believe I was asking Irene not to make this personal by taking a single sentence out of context.

And yes, I'm quite happy to continue the entertainment by reading on... :)

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bedu,

I had no interest on your posts and expressed my fondness of JSixpack's statement on the purpose of a forum. My comments were directed at the thread as a whole and meant to cool down the heat of anger against a farang in giving his compatriots bad name.

Irene,

Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate the gesture. When you posted your reply to JSixpack's post, you linked in a part of a sentence of mine, and so I assumed you were using me as an example. My apologies, and I have already replied to JSixpack stating my respect for his/her effort to explain the purpose of the forum.

And I agree, some of the comments made by some posters are a little heavy handed unless meant in jest.

:)

I do not understand how this twenty-plus storey building (Central World) burnt so disastrously.

What happened to all the fire-fighting devices that are built into any-and-all major structures these days - fire-compartmentalisation - fire doors - sprinkler systems - smoke vents - fire-proof seals on all duct-work - so on and so on?

Is Thailand one of the few countries, such as Burkino-Faso, where such precautions are ignored?

If Central World could burn like that, what are the chances of surviving in one of the major hotels in the same area?

I trust that any travel agency sending people to Thailand in the future is well covered for their own insurance, as well as insisting that the travellers take out their own insurance.

(Not that that would help them, but their surviving relatives back home may welcome some cash)

There are codes in Thailand, generally adapted from American codes.

Fire safety, as with electrical safety, is covered by regulations.

Problem is lack of inspection and certification.

Also covered by Thai system of the passing of large white envelopes stuffed with funny coloured paper normally grey in colour. :)

Also covered by Thai system of the passing of large white envelopes stuffed with funny coloured paper normally grey in colour. :)

This a bit off topic...

However, I am serious. Main problem is that installations are just not inspected or signed off.

Sadly, I have indeed been offered bribes to issue certificates. I shop them immediately.

I do not understand how this twenty-plus storey building (Central World) burnt so disastrously.

What happened to all the fire-fighting devices that are built into any-and-all major structures these days - fire-compartmentalisation - fire doors - sprinkler systems - smoke vents - fire-proof seals on all duct-work - so on and so on?

Is Thailand one of the few countries, such as Burkino-Faso, where such precautions are ignored?

If Central World could burn like that, what are the chances of surviving in one of the major hotels in the same area?

I trust that any travel agency sending people to Thailand in the future is well covered for their own insurance, as well as insisting that the travellers take out their own insurance.

(Not that that would help them, but their surviving relatives back home may welcome some cash)

If the power is cut off would they still work :):D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...dy-Bangkok.html

they want to know his name in the sun paper today.

That night water and electricity were cut-off. Worse of all, any firemen in the vicinity were shot at. It was pure terrorism. Under the normal circumstances, I am sure the safety measures must be of acceptable standard since Central Chidlom was a decade ago was also under fire and since then they must have improved.

Irene.

Nice post indeed, the professional village idiot Geoff Savage probably does have some soiled underwear.

He or it has drawn all we expats into a dangerous game, the like of something I haven't seen in my twenty years of living and working here.

Yes, not good for all of us. But I am sure most Thais would see him as not a normal farang.

Idiot. He should try to do this in London after his jail term in Thailand!

Must be the old colonial thinking in his genes which made him believe that he has the right to join a political rally here and cause damage to public and private property.

I hope there is no double standard in his case.

Any chance you Einsteins can give that OLD COLONIAL THINKING tripe a rest? It's always the Aussies and Americans banging on about this missing the Empire BS. FYI most Britons alive today have little or no empathy or connection with the colonial past and do not give it a second thought. The fact that you former Colonials can't let it go says more about your own insecurites rather than our non existant longings for a distant past.

I think most of you get your 2 dimensional opinions from watching too much Family Guy and the Simpsons.

Please try and grow up.

quote from Andrew Drummond regarding Jeff Savage :

"..It is quite clear he has a problem. I believe he is on medication. He has had a problem in Bosnia where he had to leave in a hurry, also I gather in the US. He may indeed need help.

His appalling behaviour on two vdos may belie something else completely."

i really hope Savage cracks or loses his evident temper while being questioned by the Thai Police.. They will absolutely love that..

If the power is cut off would they still work :D:D

If they had backup generators they would, but even then without a water supply the system might fail :)

"What can a poor boy do?

On the streets of London town

There's just no place

For a street fighting man."

LOL. Not such a big shot today are we? Police should look into how this unemployed hospital porter supports himself in Thailand. Some strategically placed yaabaa tablets would make their lives easier. I thought Pattaya police had already made a big song and a dance about how they were going to rid Pattaya of foreign scum.

Well....This one served himself up on a silver platter. He's multi-purpose now. He can be deported as scum or painted as a serious player and used as a scapegoat for those never caught.

He probably could have sucessfully faded back into his life even after the You Tube video had he not subsequently given the interview to the UK paper along with his name, hometown, previous occupation, sympathies to the Red anarchists, his own involvement in the ASEAN disturbances, etc.....etc.

He will have time to think about those things later. He's red meat now

Edited by NovaBlue05

Contacted by phone at the Immigration Department in Bangkok he initially said that he had been arrested on an immigration charges. “I have overstayed by about four days”.

But later he said: “This is more serious. They are showing me all sorts of pictures.”

Classic, taken to BKK on a Sunday for four days overstay.

I hope the police release what pics or vids they have on him, the famous youtube vid isn't exactly "convincing them to set fire to it", not that it would matter though.

Looks like they arrested the farang seen throwing stones in Chiang Mai at the advertisement outside the Provincial Governer's House in this Youtube video. He's a Dutch national who was in Thailand working as an English/French teacher, and he's confessed already.

He was turned in by a Polish former policeman married to a Thai who recognised him from the video.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/84444

excellent.jpg

2 snippets of good news in one day!

Will he stand trial or will he just get deported and banned from returning ?

He could have been featured in the next series of thre the Uk telivision program " big trouble in tourist thailand "

Would have been a good one.

No problem. National Geographic's, 'Banged Up Abroad' will get on to it soon

The nutters in Outside the Box (forum) will probably say that George Bush was behind it. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

The nutters in Outside the Box (forum) will probably say that George Bush was behind it. :)

Well....He has had a lot of time on his hands lately........

Looks like they arrested the farang seen throwing stones in Chiang Mai at the advertisement outside the Provincial Governer's House in this Youtube video. He's a Dutch national who was in Thailand working as an English/French teacher, and he's confessed already.

He was turned in by a Polish former policeman married to a Thai who recognised him from the video.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/84444

excellent.jpg

2 snippets of good news in one day!

Hey....It's his birthday today....Congratulations Mate!!!

Maybe he can claim a mid life crisis. :)

you mean he wasn't?

I'll give him a pass. He..like many Americans I have spoke to who hear the word "Thailand", will probably immediately think "Taiwan"

Feeling that 'burning feeling' is something they think about when they get back home, not while they are here...

I have been giving some thought to possible repucussiosn back at home for Jeff Savage. Depending on how the Thais will deal with him and most of all what he gets charged with he could, to my way of thinking, face serious charges in Britain. Especially since the introduction of new terrorism laws,

The Laws regarding 'mercenaries' are pretty clear both nationally and internationally. Not saying he is a mercenary, but. It is all about Legal definitions isn't it.

Was he attempting to subvert the legitimate government of a sovereign nation. He admitted to being paid. He admitted being part of the Red Shirt 'Army'. What was their mission again? To overthrow of the Thai Government. It is pretty clear he was inciting criminal acts to further that cause.

Actually Mr Savage could be in more shit than the early settlers.

I am only a layman. But this could play out quite badly for him indeed.

Will the Thais make an example of him. They would in Australia. And Australian's would want it too by crikey! I hope he comes to his senses when he is called in for a chat.

I have been giving some thought to possible repucussiosn back at home for Jeff Savage. Depending on how the Thais will deal with him and most of all what he gets charged with he could, to my way of thinking, face serious charges in Britain. Especially since the introduction of new terrorism laws,

I've come full circle on this guy. Based only on the You Tube thing, I chalked it up to a drunken dumbass and figured he would be sent back to the UK after some routine questioning. After his interview with the paper and the ASEAN summit involvement, he now appears to be a serial dumbass. I think he will get some jail time in Thailand.

Maybe the UK Govt should hope it's longer rather than shorter so that he isn't sent home for them to support right away.

I've come full circle on this guy. Based only on the You Tube thing, I chalked it up to a drunken dumbass and figured he would be sent back to the UK after some routine questioning. After his interview with the paper and the ASEAN summit involvement, he now appears to be a serial dumbass. I think he will get some jail time in Thailand.

Maybe the UK Govt should hope it's longer rather than shorter so that he isn't sent home for them to support right away.

Serial dumbass... 5555 - good definition! :)

Seriously... It seems that he really wants to get arrested. Why can't he just shut up?

Apparently, he have lost all of his survival instinct. If he ever had any.

Edited by xenomorph