Briton In Red Shirt Demonstration Regrets Video Arson Gibe

george

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was not involved in the burning or looting and I can prove it."

He said in an interview that he was at Channel 3 when it was set alight.

How can he prove that he wasn't involved unless he has video showing him arriving and leaving and everything in between?

Unless ofcourse, he can prove he didn't burn or loot CW, because he has video proving he burned Channel 3.

Edited by whybother

I do not understand how this twenty-plus storey building (Central World) burnt so disastrously.

What happened to all the fire-fighting devices that are built into any-and-all major structures these days - fire-compartmentalisation - fire doors - sprinkler systems - smoke vents - fire-proof seals on all duct-work - so on and so on?

Is Thailand one of the few countries, such as Burkino-Faso, where such precautions are ignored?

If Central World could burn like that, what are the chances of surviving in one of the major hotels in the same area?

I trust that any travel agency sending people to Thailand in the future is well covered for their own insurance, as well as insisting that the travellers take out their own insurance.

(Not that that would help them, but their surviving relatives back home may welcome some cash)

A little bit off subject of Mr Savage, but I was wondering the same thing. Possibly sprinklers failed as maybe water was off to the whole area. But, they would be off to every other hotel and building too. I was concerned of anywhere, these Thai residential room, that are rented for like 2000b a month that have all the windows barred up with steel. Very scary.

I do not understand how this twenty-plus storey building (Central World) burnt so disastrously.

What happened to all the fire-fighting devices that are built into any-and-all major structures these days - fire-compartmentalisation - fire doors - sprinkler systems - smoke vents - fire-proof seals on all duct-work - so on and so on?

Is Thailand one of the few countries, such as Burkino-Faso, where such precautions are ignored?

If Central World could burn like that, what are the chances of surviving in one of the major hotels in the same area?

I trust that any travel agency sending people to Thailand in the future is well covered for their own insurance, as well as insisting that the travellers take out their own insurance.

(Not that that would help them, but their surviving relatives back home may welcome some cash)

A little bit off subject of Mr Savage, but I was wondering the same thing. Possibly sprinklers failed as maybe water was off to the whole area. But, they would be off to every other hotel and building too. I was concerned of anywhere, these Thai residential room, that are rented for like 2000b a month that have all the windows barred up with steel. Very scary.

The burnt area was a 7 (or 8) storey section of the building on the Rama 1/Ratchadamri corner. The hotel at the back wasn't burnt.

There have been suggestions that half the building will be able to open in a few months.

Edited by whybother

I hate shopping, but I did go to Central word more than any mall in Bangkok, even though it was not the closed to me. It was well designed, and with so many other things nearby, eg Pantip only a 40b cab. Just imagine if you bought a franchise shop in there, and now the insurance company says, nope, it was terrorism, no pay. Is all arson terrorism?

Does anybody know who owns Central World? It was clearly a Red target.

“I hold my hands up — it was me, and I’m ashamed that I lost my temper,” he told The Times by telephone from his home in the Thai resort town of Pattaya. “I was tired and emotional and full of steroids. I said we’re going to burn down Central — I was being sarcastic.”

One report says your 42 years old.

Sounds to me like your've got the mentality of a 13 year old.

Guess you think that being real tough / real macho is clever and impessive.

Grow up!

He sounds like he craves the attention.

He undoubtedly got a lot of attention while with the red shirts and probably loved every minute of being the farang amongst them.

Wasn't he also driving in supplies for the red shirts?

"What can a poor boy do?

On the streets of London town

There's just no place

For a street fighting man."

LOL. Not such a big shot today are we? Police should look into how this unemployed hospital porter supports himself in Thailand. Some strategically placed yaabaa tablets would make their lives easier. I thought Pattaya police had already made a big song and a dance about how they were going to rid Pattaya of foreign scum.

There would be few residents left. What do they expect in a town full of prostitution, and drugs?

Get rid of the thousands of prostitutes and see how many respectable retired foreigners remain - what on earth would they go there for if not the above.

Don't be ridiculous. There are many things to do in Pattaya for families or couples. Nightlife is plentiful (even without the red lights). The selection of restaurants with outstanding food a reasonable prices cannot be matched anywhere else in Thailand. There are adequate beaches, island trips, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc. etc. etc. There are many reasons to go to Pattaya and it is something my wife and I do a few times a year when we just want to get out of BKK for the weekend.

Who is this guy? where does he live/hang out... someone please post id like to wind him up

Think he's wound up enough already! As for where he hangs out, at the moment it seems he is being provided with free lodging courtesy of the Royal Thai government. Under the emergency rule decree, the government has the power to detain anyone suspected of being involved in terrorist acts for seven days, renewable to a month. Unless he can clearly and quickly provide the evidence he claims he has that proves he wasn't involved in the arson at CentralWorld, then I would guess he'll spend some time in detention.

Then there is the matter of him admitting that he was present when Channel 3 was torched.That admission will not do him any favors now, and the onus might be on him to prove that he didn't participate in the torching of it. Standing around cheering the action after threatening to commit arson a few days prior would not go down well with authorities. He didn't learn his lesson after getting in all this trouble by opening his big mouth to a guy with a camera.

The authorities have the power to keep him in detention and sweating it out for a month. They want those they detain to confess, so they can and probably will stretch his detention out for that entire time.

I don't know his personal circumstances or if he's supporting children, but I would say that regardless of that, he needs to be on a plane with a one-way ticket and a black mark in his passport.

as already stated, building had sprinklers, just water & power turned off by authorities.

Who is this guy? where does he live/hang out... someone please post id like to wind him up

Think he's wound up enough already! As for where he hangs out, at the moment it seems he is being provided with free lodging courtesy of the Royal Thai government. Under the emergency rule decree, the government has the power to detain anyone suspected of being involved in terrorist acts for seven days, renewable to a month. Unless he can clearly and quickly provide the evidence he claims he has that proves he wasn't involved in the arson at CentralWorld, then I would guess he'll spend some time in detention.

Then there is the matter of him admitting that he was present when Channel 3 was torched.That admission will not do him any favors now, and the onus might be on him to prove that he didn't participate in the torching of it. Standing around cheering the action after threatening to commit arson a few days prior would not go down well with authorities. He didn't learn his lesson after getting in all this trouble by opening his big mouth to a guy with a camera.

The authorities have the power to keep him in detention and sweating it out for a month. They want those they detain to confess, so they can and probably will stretch his detention out for that entire time.

I don't know his personal circumstances or if he's supporting children, but I would say that regardless of that, he needs to be on a plane with a one-way ticket and a black mark in his passport.

supporting children?? if so, he should be denied custody at once.

I think maybe some folk need to calm down a little. Yes, clearly he's an idiot and an embarrassment. But the only thing's he's known to actually have done is to walk down the street, shout a little, throw a stick on the ground, shoot his mouth off and then later repeat rumours he's heard. Sure, if it's discovered that he played an active role or was involved in actually planning arson attacks, then people get start shouting for jail sentences etc, but some of the responses to this have been a little over-the-top. I'm not defending the guy, he's exactly the kind of Brit abroad I can't stand, but a wee bit of perspective isn't a bad thing.

No! You're wrong! Kill him! Kill him!! KILL HIM!!!!! He's the most interesting thing in my life this week! Hang him! Kill him! Kill all Brits!!! Aggggh the hate!!!

No, no, no must remember in Thailand now. Save face, save face. Jai dee. Jai dee. Deep breaths...

Ahhhhhhhhh thats better. No, no it isn't. KILL HIM!!!!

You are repeating the exact incitement that he is being accused of.

Whats your mental excuse?

As a foreigner he is a guest in Thailand, and if he is breaking the law, threatening to commit arson and looting as well as violating the CRES laws that are in place I think he has worn out his welcome. If an immigrant to my country and started burning buildings I would be very grateful if the government would deport them.

Another one bites the dust.

Australian arrested over Red Shirt protests

Police in Thailand have arrested a 30-year-old Australian man under the emergency decree used to end almost two months of Red Shirt protests in Bangkok.

He has been identified as as Conor David Purcell, an ex-soldier working in Bangkok as a language teacher.

Purcell was arrested at his apartment complex in the city on Sunday.

Thai authorities say he incited unrest while speaking from the stage of the Red Shirt protest camp on two occasions.

Bangkok's Kom Chad Luek newspaper is quoting police sources as saying he served for seven years in the Australian Army and had received sniper training.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05...?section=justin

"I hold my hands up — it was me, and I'm ashamed that I lost my temper," he told The Times by telephone from his home in the Thai resort town of Pattaya. "I was tired and emotional and full of steroids. I said we're going to burn down Central — I was being sarcastic."

A Brit, tattoos, steroids, empty threats, throws tantrums, home in Sisaket and lives in Pattaya. I get the picture.

I didn't see the pictures but it doesnt surprise me that he had tatoo's.

Ignorant thing to say.

Facts are a bummer are they not. :D

It's a fact now? :)

as already stated, building had sprinklers, just water & power turned off by authorities.

It would take massive use of accelerants to do this with or without sprinklers

There are codes in Thailand, generally adapted from American codes.

Fire safety, as with electrical safety, is covered by regulations.

Problem is lack of inspection and certification.

Plus, if you consider they're filled with fuel soaked tires, the electricity is off, and no water pressure for sprinklers, then most buildings will burn down

Another one bites the dust.
Australian arrested over Red Shirt protests

Police in Thailand have arrested a 30-year-old Australian man under the emergency decree used to end almost two months of Red Shirt protests in Bangkok.

He has been identified as as Conor David Purcell, an ex-soldier working in Bangkok as a language teacher.

Purcell was arrested at his apartment complex in the city on Sunday.

Thai authorities say he incited unrest while speaking from the stage of the Red Shirt protest camp on two occasions.

Bangkok's Kom Chad Luek newspaper is quoting police sources as saying he served for seven years in the Australian Army and had received sniper training.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05...?section=justin

This article is being discussed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Australian-M...te-t368941.html

I don't think either of these guys will be a "cause celebre" in their home countries, if they go to prison in Thailand. British and Aussie tabloids prefer young women who have been caught smuggling heroin to male louts and it doesn't matter if the young women admit to having known what they were doing all along after they have been successfully repatriated. The reaction to these two is more likely to be, "Good. We don't want them back home."

Edited by Arkady

Its not looking good for Savage... Gonna be in Thailand for quite some time me thinks.. :) :

"..Abhisit said he was confident that Savage was systematically involved with the Red Shirts, based on his comments to the British media."

latest news story with Abhisit quotes .HERE.

Jeffrey will be useful to the Thai Govt as he will become the poster boy for what happens to farangs who misbehave....kind of a deterrent.

I don't see him leaving Thailand any time soon and I doubt the UK Govt will care to step into this pile of dogsh*t

when will they learn to stay out it........not your country you have no rights so shut the hel_l up is all i say

I don't at all condone what the hothead Brit said, but I don't agree with the above post. Yes, Thailand is not officially my country, but in many ways it's my country. I've been residing here longer than half the Thais currently here. I'll die here. I've planted thousands of trees here, and had a lot of positive interaction with locals. Plus, I come from a country where people get assimilated quite easily - all sorts, good bad and indifferent. So I don't put up mental barriers with people. The less compartamentized you make things, the freer you feel, and the freer people feel around you.

John Lennon's words from 'Imagine;

Imagine there are no countries, I wonder if you can"

Unless he is guilty of criminal acts, let it go.

Personally I have no problem with farangs being politically involved.

He appears like an immature jerk, like so many others. As you say, if he's not found guilty of criminal acts, then chalk it up to just another stupid venting Brit looking for cheap thrills - probably drunk also.