For US, A Delicate Task In Thai Upheaval

webfact

For US, a delicate task in Thai upheaval - Analysis

by Shaun Tandon

WASHINGTON: -- The United States faces a delicate task as Thailand teeters on the edge, trying to encourage reconciliation in its longstanding ally without putting at risk its own influence.

Few non-Western countries have relationships with the United States as deeply rooted as Thailand's. The kingdom then known as Siam famously offered elephants to then-president Abraham Lincoln to fight the Civil War; more recently, Thailand provided critical support for the Vietnam War and sent troops to Iraq.

The US alliance was scarcely an issue for the protesters who took over the heart of Bangkok for almost two months, or for the government and army that launched a deadly crackdown this week, leading to a wave of arson and looting.

But with Thailand's divisions raw, experts said the United States must tread carefully to avoid alienating either the Bangkok elite or so-called "Red Shirt" protesters who feel disenfranchised in the kingdom's politics.

Joshua Kurlantzick, a Thailand expert at the Council on Foreign Relations, said a policy of interacting only with the elite could give rise to an anti-US firebrand among the Red Shirts akin to Venezuela's leader Hugo Chavez.

Kurlantzick said the United States has been more even-handed than in 2006, when George W. Bush's administration was gentle in its criticism of the coup that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, now an icon for many Red Shirts.

"I think US policy this time around has been more cautious, which is good, given that in the long run we don't know who is going to be in charge in Thailand," Kurlantzick said.

Some experts were skeptical that Thaksin -- a billionaire, Texas-educated mogul who assisted Bush in his controversial policy of flying terror suspects to interrogation sites -- could turn into a Chavez-like militant.

A more realistic concern would be an erosion of US influence in Thailand that allows China to exert a greater role, said Ernie Bower, director of the Southeast Asian Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

"There are risks for a potential backlash if we picked a side and somehow the other side came into power," Bower said.

"I don't know if anyone can call where this will go over the next five to 10 years, and the Chinese don't have that burden," he said.

Bower recalled that China enjoyed an image boost in Asia after the 1997 financial crisis that followed the collapse of the Thai baht, as the United States became associated with International Monetary Fund austerity measures.

"The Chinese have the luxury of watching where the chips fall. They could easily be a back-seat driver -- if the United States makes a mistake, they can sweep up and say, 'We didn't make that mistake,'" he said.

President Barack Obama's administration -- which has made relations with Southeast Asia a priority -- has already had to dodge fire as it navigates Thailand's complicated crisis.

Thailand earlier this month summoned the US ambassador after Kurt Campbell, the assistant secretary of state for East Asia, met Red Shirts on a brief visit to Bangkok -- a step the government likely feared would bestow legitimacy on the protest movement.

The United States, however, has been reaching out to all sides. General Anupong Paojinda, head of the army, paid a quiet trip early this year to Washington for wide-ranging talks, diplomats said.

Walter Lohman, director of the Asian Studies Center at the conservative Heritage Foundation, said that Red Shirt protesters were discredited after the images shown around the world of Bangkok's glitzy downtown ablaze.

"What interest were they serving when they set the stock exchange on fire? What is the message that sends?" Lohman said.

But he said that the United States -- and, most important, the Thai government -- realized that well-intentioned and reasonable figures were also among the Red Shirt movement.

"The United States can open some lines of communication, but beyond that I don't think the US has a role to play," Lohman said. "Essentially, this is something the Thais will have to work out themselves."

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-21

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US has lost their creditibility, so who cares? With the USA bombing of Iraq (remember, it was because of Weapons of Mass Destruction, now according to Fox News it is because of the terrorists!) which has ruined the infrastructure and stability of Iraq (true, it was no picnic under Sadam but according to the Iraqi's their life style is worse off today); and with their negligence of their financial institutions (banks and wall street) taking advantage of "loop holes" in order to make profit, ...and with China being the growing economic machine in this region, I don't think the USA has as much influence any more. (Maybe the old Vietnam Vets reading this can set me straight)

PS-- The next time the US miltarty comea to Thailand to do their annual "War Games" with the Thai military, I hope they skip the out dated war games and teach the army how to deal with mobs of violent people, terrorists, and thugs in demonstrations. I think this would be more beneficial.

After how everything was handled from the beginning by Thai government, press, Police, etc, etc. I do not think these people have any credibility to tell the US or any of the Western counties how to treat in Thailand. Thais need to really understand and learn from their own mistake and be prepare for next time, which I am sure will be a next time again. If they can face it, maybe they can ask US and other Western countries Thai government what they did wrong

The US has lost their creditibility, so who cares? With the USA bombing of Iraq (remember, it was because of Weapons of Mass Destruction, now according to Fox News it is because of the terrorists!) which has ruined the infrastructure and stability of Iraq (true, it was no picnic under Sadam but according to the Iraqi's their life style is worse off today); and with their negligence of their financial institutions (banks and wall street) taking advantage of "loop holes" in order to make profit, ...and with China being the growing economic machine in this region, I don't think the USA has as much influence any more. (Maybe the old Vietnam Vets reading this can set me straight)

PS-- The next time the US miltarty comea to Thailand to do their annual "War Games" with the Thai military, I hope they skip the out dated war games and teach the army how to deal with mobs of violent people, terrorists, and thugs in demonstrations. I think this would be more beneficial.

the usual b-tching session. one thing I agree is the thai troops need trained in urban warfare.

It is times that those foreign countries that still accommodate Thaksin Shinawatra to exams themselves whether to further sheltered this criminal that has financed and destroyed his owned country by creating social divisions and hatred among Thais.

"Joshua Kurlantzick, a Thailand expert at the Council on Foreign Relations, said a policy of interacting only with the elite could give rise to an anti-US firebrand among the Red Shirts akin to Venezuela's leader Hugo Chavez."

This guy is so full of ess-hech-eye-tee that it must be drooling from his ears.

The current US administration idolizes and adores tyrants like Chavez, and vice versa. In the warped context of the current US administration, Chavez is viewed as pro-US and vice versa. At the very least, Chavez is hardly an anti-US firebrand in Obama's eyes. Obama and his ilk are elitists. They want a subserviant proletariat that bows to the ruling elite of the central government. It would not be surprising at all to see US policy towards Thailand shift to try to create such a nightmare in Thailand. Let's hope they are all out on their arse before they have a chance.

Edited by Spee

I would think urban crowd control training would be better spent money, killing ppl out in the streets isn't a good answer and this government will pay in the eyes of west (already happing in Europe today).

How many airbases does the US have here, was it 12? I forget but yes we do , have Mil. exercises with the Thais so I would think we could help w/Tactics it would be good esply crowd suppression, if they had gone in w/ watercannons, sound suppression and tear gas the day they were setting up @ Saladang this whole mess could have been averted quickly.

I as an American find it silly that the Reds were expecting so much from us (or the UN for taht matter) and I am at least a bit sympathetic to the red cause.

The US has a real stake in a stable Thailand and has definitly supported the government IMO.

Secondly I think the reds had one of the best Thai mil. tacticitions on their side. I am sure that the "camp" was designed and upkept with his thinking even after his passing. They were sitting there for what 2 and a half months? Lots of time to think, maybe INVITE ppl to bring children and grandparents, tell them hey look you can just run into that temple over there while we take the fight out of here. (by the way I didn't find it so shocking after working and living with Thais, it is kind of a cultural thing to bring children to work, and they knew they could get out safe) It was a good military tactic.

Meanwhile the army is on TV saying they think the reds shot ppl to make them look bad at the temple, I have trouble buying into it after the actions this past week by the Army.

The Red political tactics were much more suspect and I am pretty sure Veera and Wang at least would have objected to the red military tactics used. I think that the propaganda being spewed by the authorities will back fire if they keep it up. Maybe the reds could/should of taken the high road and trusted the government to hold elections but I think the April violence colored the thinking about trust.

I hope that a middle voice can rise from the ashes and help bring some stability to the situation but highly doubt it. This is a great place to live and a beautiful place as well, but the problems have me and my wife thinking about going away (which I think some of you will welcome).

Sorry about spelling and gram. errors this is very stream of conscience thought about the last few days

:)

Thanks I need a knee jerk twinky post from a member of the Euro proletarian class that frequent this board to get my mind off the depressing events in Thailand

:)

Thanks I need a knee jerk twinky post from a member of the Euro proletarian class that frequent this board to get my mind off the depressing events in Thailand

With a retort like that, you're as bad as him.

It is times that those foreign countries that still accommodate Thaksin Shinawatra to exams themselves whether to further sheltered this criminal that has financed and destroyed his owned country by creating social divisions and hatred among Thais.

Kasit knows where all the foreign ministries are based. I am sure the government will be only too happy to pay for him to visit the US to plead the case. They may take him a bit more seriously this time when he asks them to deal with Thaksin.

Problem is, largely, the government finds it extremely hard to make a case to the world concerning exactly why Thaksin has been found guilty in the first place, then beyond that, they find it extremely hard to understand how Kasit can even be in this job having rather stupidly joined the PAD protests.

I see a common problem here. Maybe Kasit is the problem when it comes to the government being able to explain to the world why they should arrest and extradite Thaksin. The government knows that there is every chance in the world that any extraditing country would turn around and deem the old charges politically motivated so they daren't try. I wonder if they will do any better with the "terrorism" charges. Oh of course, they appear not to want to pursue that one. I wonder why.

As for one man single handedly "creating" social divison. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

He didn't create it, it was always there. It is that no one bothered to think that removing it from society is a good thing. It is around us every minute of every day in this country. It is many others, but I find that Thailand is making a very good effort to hang onto it as opposed to actively trying to break it down and make society more inclusive for all.

Save for the 5 minutes a day where we stand for the national anthem, the other 1435 minutes where every single individual is trying to climb his way above the man next to him.

Or do I have to watch another soap opera where the maids are all dark, listen to conversations about "kaeks", watch stupid programs where hi-so go and try to plant rice and beg for mercy from the heat. These are but small examples but show how in your face these divisions are and yet no one thinks it odd that they are drummed into society endlessly.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I would think urban crowd control training would be better spent money, killing ppl out in the streets isn't a good answer and this government will pay in the eyes of west (already happing in Europe today).

How many airbases does the US have here, was it 12? I forget but yes we do , have Mil. exercises with the Thais so I would think we could help w/Tactics it would be good esply crowd suppression, if they had gone in w/ watercannons, sound suppression and tear gas the day they were setting up @ Saladang this whole mess could have been averted quickly.

I as an American find it silly that the Reds were expecting so much from us (or the UN for taht matter) and I am at least a bit sympathetic to the red cause.

The US has a real stake in a stable Thailand and has definitly supported the government IMO.

Secondly I think the reds had one of the best Thai mil. tacticitions on their side. I am sure that the "camp" was designed and upkept with his thinking even after his passing. They were sitting there for what 2 and a half months? Lots of time to think, maybe INVITE ppl to bring children and grandparents, tell them hey look you can just run into that temple over there while we take the fight out of here. (by the way I didn't find it so shocking after working and living with Thais, it is kind of a cultural thing to bring children to work, and they knew they could get out safe) It was a good military tactic.

Meanwhile the army is on TV saying they think the reds shot ppl to make them look bad at the temple, I have trouble buying into it after the actions this past week by the Army.

The Red political tactics were much more suspect and I am pretty sure Veera and Wang at least would have objected to the red military tactics used. I think that the propaganda being spewed by the authorities will back fire if they keep it up. Maybe the reds could/should of taken the high road and trusted the government to hold elections but I think the April violence colored the thinking about trust.

I hope that a middle voice can rise from the ashes and help bring some stability to the situation but highly doubt it. This is a great place to live and a beautiful place as well, but the problems have me and my wife thinking about going away (which I think some of you will welcome).

Sorry about spelling and gram. errors this is very stream of conscience thought about the last few days

From an eyewitness report in the temple:

However, he said when the female nurse stood up, she was shot and died instantly.

"Bullets hit her in the head and the body," Wasan said.

I find it hard to believe that the army directly targetted people in the temple. I could accept that mis-directed army fire hit people within the temple. But this nurse was shot at least twice after she stood up (according to the eyewitnesses) which looks much more like a sniper attack.

There would be nothing in it for the army to target people like that, even to discredit the reds, as it would be too easy to blame the army for it.

Ofcourse, the red supporters will see it differently, but that's just my opinion.

An article on how even handed and understanding the US has been and you spew off topic emotional baggage.

Go search, you will find that the US did provide the Thai military the training in crowd control that you have kindly asked for.

Kasit knows where all the foreign ministries are based. I am sure the government will be only too happy to pay for him to visit the US to plead the case. They may take him a bit more seriously this time when he asks them to deal with Thaksin.

Problem is, largely, the government finds it extremely hard to make a case to the world concerning exactly why Thaksin has been found guilty in the first place, then beyond that, they find it extremely hard to understand how Kasit can even be in this job having rather stupidly joined the PAD protests.

I see a common problem here. Maybe Kasit is the problem when it comes to the government being able to explain to the world why they should arrest and extradite Thaksin. The government knows that there is every chance in the world that any extraditing country would turn around and deem the old charges politically motivated so they daren't try. I wonder if they will do any better with the "terrorism" charges. Oh of course, they appear not to want to pursue that one. I wonder why.

<snip>

The Australian government tried to extradite a rich Australian (Christopher Skase) from Spain a few years ago. He had been convicted of various fraud offences. They failed miserably.

Extradition isn't an easy process. Especially for something that is related to politics.

An article on how even handed and understanding the US has been and you spew off topic emotional baggage.

Go search, you will find that the US did provide the Thai military the training in crowd control that you have kindly asked for.

OK Good.Now we have established root cause. :)

Sorry, but the US has zero airbases here, and hasn't for decades. We lease various FBO services from selected Thai airports and RTAF bases around the Kingdom. In the US War on Terror, Thailand supports US forces who transit through U-Tapao enroute to and from the Middle East. That's about the extent of our involvement other than the presence of the Joint US Military Advosory Group (JUSMAG), garrisoned in Bangkok in their Satorn Tai Road compound.

Edited by Fore Man

We get it, you hate America.

Aren't you special! :)

<snip>

The Australian government tried to extradite a rich Australian (Christopher Skase) from Spain a few years ago. He had been convicted of various fraud offences. They failed miserably.

Extradition isn't an easy process. Especially for something that is related to politics.

Particularly when you have to rather embarrassingly explain that the reason he is out and about at all is because he politely requested that he wanted to go to the Olympics and you let him travel. Oh, the tangled web we weave.

I don't get it.

The PPP was in power only 18 months ago.

The US forgot who they are just because they changed there name? They don't know Chavalit?

IMO it really doesn't matter.

It's same old people whether it's the Democrats or the PTP.

Their relations with the US will be fine.

Agreed,.. and my wife and I also having similar conversations even though we love it and have lived here for 5 years and have kids here. It's a shame but this has really shocked us into a new reality that we weren't expecting. The need to set up an alternative OS home base and western education for our kids sake is becoming a pressing priority for us. We would never leave Thailand completely as we have family here and believe in the eventuality of balance being restored,.. but frankly, 10 years is a likely scenario for that process to eventuate!

Peace to all, and blessings to Thailand!

Edited by EarthAlien

a couple of links

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section...p;article=15659

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/02/03/34132...lethal-weapons/

interesting quote from 2nd one

"If used inappropriately, these non-lethal weapons can be fatal. This training stressed the importance of using the non lethal weapons properly and as they are intended. Soldiers are instructed to never take a head shot with any of these weapons.

"Any type of head shot is fatal, even with a rubber bullet," said Brown.

Isreal has used sound supression on Palistins I am looking that up now also

<snip>

Particularly when you have to rather embarrassingly explain that the reason he is out and about at all is because he politely requested that he wanted to go to the Olympics and you let him travel. Oh, the tangled web we weave.

Ah, but the Aussies ensured Skase contracted emphysema (what a way to go) and carked it. That saved the taxpayer lots of money with court proceedings etc. And watching the media chase this idiot all around majorca made great sunday evening television.

We use 12 bases of the RTAF, sorry I called them our bases. Thx for the fact check though :)

And am looking up crowd control training provided to Thailand by US now

I think what I saw was a recent article, maybe here, that also discussed 237 million baht that was recently spent on crowd control equipment. The article was withing the last 6 weeks.

a couple of links

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section...p;article=15659

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/02/03/34132...lethal-weapons/

interesting quote from 2nd one

"If used inappropriately, these non-lethal weapons can be fatal. This training stressed the importance of using the non lethal weapons properly and as they are intended. Soldiers are instructed to never take a head shot with any of these weapons.

"Any type of head shot is fatal, even with a rubber bullet," said Brown.

Isreal has used sound supression on Palistins I am looking that up now also

Very good links . Thank you for sharing with us .

It seems the thai army has not learned much from this training .

Unlike as you said the israelis who yes use rubber bullet

accident do happen but are rare

<snip>

Not embarrassing when you can blame the previous government for it. :)

At the G-20 in the US

http://trueslant.com/allisonkilkenny/2009/...rs-during-g-20/

dont see anything about the israelies actually but remember hearing about it a couple of years ago. It can bust eardrums.

I also saw a tv show about one of the inventers of it a while ago.

I also remember the Thais have some sort of truck that the reds grabbed in April (but gave back).

The training here really is not up to par, as seen by the "protesters" stopping a truck and taking the guys gun (government video the other day) &lt;deleted&gt;, why stop? Why not aim that gun?

Edited by Bowery99

The US has lost their creditibility [sic]...With the USA bombing of Iraq...which has ruined the infrastructure and stability......negligence of their financial institutions....

The next time the US miltarty [sic] comea [sic] to Thailand...I hope they...teach the army how to deal with mobs of violent people, terrorists, and thugs in demonstrations. I think this would be more beneficial.

Just a minute, Mr. TOENAIL....

On one hand you vilify the USA,it's military actions, it's financial structures, etc. but on the other hand you want that same military's benefits for Thailand, right?

Typical confused mentality of TV posters who love bashing the USA but still want its benefits. I bet your top 10 favorite movies are American too, right? :)

The US has lost their creditibility [sic]...With the USA bombing of Iraq...which has ruined the infrastructure and stability......negligence of their financial institutions....

The next time the US miltarty [sic] comea [sic] to Thailand...I hope they...teach the army how to deal with mobs of violent people, terrorists, and thugs in demonstrations. I think this would be more beneficial.

Just a minute, Mr. TOENAIL....

On one hand you vilify the USA,it's military actions, it's financial structures, etc. but on the other hand you want that same military's benefits for Thailand, right?

Typical confused mentality of TV posters who love bashing the USA but still want its benefits. I bet your top 10 favorite movies are American too, right? :)

the usual complainer who moans until his or her moment of need. then they're singing a different tune.

also, with his hats off to china, I guess he's also a double agent communist spy?