Multi Entry Ed Visa In Shanghai - Apparently Not

I've just been to the Thai consulate in Shanghai to get my 1 year Ed visa and was told that they can't issue a multi entry one under any circumstances. I'd really much rather have a multi entry visa - does anyone know if these are available in other surrounding countries (such as Singapore). From some of the threads on this forum I'd thought it was possible at certain places.

Cheers guys.

If your Education visa was legitimately applied for based on attendance of an Education Ministry-certified school, a multiple-entry visa in Shanghai was not necessary. You can apply for an extension of stay in Thailand using paperwork supplied by your school.

While some consulates in the west and in Australia/New Zealand do ED visas to non-ministry certified organizations -- diving and Muay Thai boxing schools being the two most common -- they cannot be extended inside Thailand.

There are some consulates in A/NZ, UK and US that do issue multiple-entry ED visas for those purposes. However, you will not find any in Asia, except perhaps in Japan where there have been examples in past years.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

You will not get a multiple anywhere in Asia, only a single which can be extended at immigration in Thailand with the necesarry paperwork.

Thanks Mario. I don't suppose you know how many times the 'multiple re-entries' can be used?

A multiple entry will give you an unlimited number of entries during the validity of the visa, which is one year from the day they issue the visa. Each time you enter, you can stay for up to 90 days, before you have to leave. As long as the visa is valid, you can come back the same day for another 90 days.

By leaving and re-entering a day before the visa expires you can get almost 15 months out of the visa.

Cheers Mario. That time (to be confusing) I was referring to the single entry visa and the required 're-entry' application that I'd have to do every time I wanted to pop out of the country. The Bangkok immigration bureau website says that you can either get single or multiple permits - was wondering if someone knew just how many exits this multiple one would allow.

(I know it's the rules, but it seems odd that they wouldn't want you to be leaving the country without permission rather than entering or staying in it, especially when the course if for a whole year!)

Once you obtain an extension of stay you can obtain a re-entry permit valid for the same period of time and it allows unlimited number of entries if that is the version you buy (3,800 baht).

It is still an extension of stay with a re-entry permit - you do not have to leave the country at all (a visa would require you leave every 90 days or less). So in that respect it is better for most people.