How To Help People In Bkk?

msg362

Second post, sorry, could not edit title.

Is there any way we can help those who have lost their livelihood? Bank trnsfer/ organised collection etc? Can Thai Visa organise something? I for one would like to contribute and I'm sure many others would.

( Mods, sorry twice, can you delete the first post with the wrong title ).

Edited by 7by7
Done

Just amazing. When there is some inane topic, everyone comes out from the woodwork. When we can really help, few people read and no one offers. My post has been up for about 7 hours: 52 people have read it and no one has replied.

Is this what we expats are? spineless, mouthing off and no compassion?

Come on help them. How do we do it?

Well now I know more about Thai Visa correspondents.

I posted this lunchtime on Saturday 22nd. 71 people have read it and no one has replied. All of you come out to add your words of wisdom to other posts on the subject, explaining how it all happened etc. None of you want to really help by the look if it.

Mods, quick enough to pull something that doesn't fit their rules, do not respond to this.

If we are an expat community surely we can help somehow or are we all too braindead?

Think about it like this , if you run into difficulties who will help you ? you have serious problems you are expected to leave , return to your own country for help , Thailand is for Thai , is this not an occassion for them to help themselves ?

What happened to most of the funds collected for szunami victims , do you think this sort of fund you are asking for will be treated any differently and given to those most in need ?

Time for a reality check methinks !!!

I agree with you msg362.

The lack of interest or suggestions on how to help Bangkokians reflects on the profile of the average TV member: They are here to see what they can get out of Thailand -- not contribute to its (healthy) development.

Below are some suggestions I posted on the Bangkok community forum which, typically, didn't elicit any response. Posters just wanted to continue bashing local charities, foundations and NGos for mis-use of funds in the past.

For those of you that live in Thailand and care about the place, here are some things to consider doing to help reduce the negative impact of the recent events on the economy and tourism:

- Buy local products more. That is, forego the imported cheese, wine and corn flakes for a few weeks and buy local Thai products. (In fact, you may find out that they actually taste better than imports.)

- If you live or are visiting Bangkok, buy from small shops and service providers in the worst-affected areas. Help those vendors that sell local products to get back on their feet by purchasing a bit extra from them. If you buy more commodities than you need, then donate your surplus to a group that is helping the victims of the arson and other destruction.

- Take more vacation-like trips on the weekend. Go to the (once) popular foreign tourist destinations and pretend to be an international tourist. Yes -- this will cost you more than sitting at home, but you are reading this thread aren't you?

And, if you are reading this from outside of Thailand -- then consider making an unplanned trip here. I think you'll find that the hotels, restaurants, spas and resorts will treat you like royalty.

I did more or less what you suggest in the 7 years I lived in Thailand , most of the vendors held me to ransom on prices so I collected the minority honest ones and made all of my purchases with them , quite considerable in fact as I sent many things to my home country

Then I felt the people were in a downward spiral toward foreigners so I moved over a country , look how Thailand has regressed in the last 5 years and that fact has now escalated into more of a major negative for reasons to even visit this retrograde society .

Thanks , but no thanks , my life and cost of living are by far preferable where i have settled .

So how many TV members who live in Bangkok went out to join the big public cleanup the other day in order to get the city back to normal? Not many I'll wager.

I know lots of people, myself included, who would have loved to go out and help. Unfortunately we didn't find out about the event until after it occurred. It wasn't a "breaking news" story that got emailed out to me, and I didn't see it announced anywhere else. There may have been a thread on TV about it, but not all of us are able to keep up with the forums every day.

To the OP, I think that a lot of us living in BKK would be willing to contribute if there was an actual organized collection with a clear goal and transparency in where the money goes. To me it seemed that your message was directed toward the TV administrators, which may be why you got few responses. If you can organize something specific, people might be more likely to get involved.

I've seen about the clean up on the news and online. I arrived in BKK on Saturday night to work here, and have felt like I should go out and help with the clean up - because I have just moved here and this is my new home. I saw on the news about a clean up at the Four Seasons tomorrow - but don't know how to get there to help. I wouldn't mind doing something like this - I feel like I owe the City something. However, I'm aware that this is just because I'm like that - I don't know if I would go and do it since I don't know the City very well at the moment and know people who have lived here a long time and aren't helping. I'm not really sure how it works over here - it's hard to turn away from, though. Organise something with other TV members, tell us where to meet and how to get there and I'd be happy to go.

I agree with you msg362.

The lack of interest or suggestions on how to help Bangkokians reflects on the profile of the average TV member: They are here to see what they can get out of Thailand -- not contribute to its (healthy) development.

Below are some suggestions I posted on the Bangkok community forum which, typically, didn't elicit any response. Posters just wanted to continue bashing local charities, foundations and NGos for mis-use of funds in the past.

For those of you that live in Thailand and care about the place, here are some things to consider doing to help reduce the negative impact of the recent events on the economy and tourism:

- Buy local products more. That is, forego the imported cheese, wine and corn flakes for a few weeks and buy local Thai products. (In fact, you may find out that they actually taste better than imports.)

- If you live or are visiting Bangkok, buy from small shops and service providers in the worst-affected areas. Help those vendors that sell local products to get back on their feet by purchasing a bit extra from them. If you buy more commodities than you need, then donate your surplus to a group that is helping the victims of the arson and other destruction.

- Take more vacation-like trips on the weekend. Go to the (once) popular foreign tourist destinations and pretend to be an international tourist. Yes -- this will cost you more than sitting at home, but you are reading this thread aren't you?

And, if you are reading this from outside of Thailand -- then consider making an unplanned trip here. I think you'll find that the hotels, restaurants, spas and resorts will treat you like royalty.

I buying foreign food and beverage products because the taste and quality isnt the same and can't be replaced by some local products and i am happy to pay a little bit more for it.

i believe the govt got it covered for all employment that got effected by the political situation. if not mistaken some 1400 people plus had registered and now awaiting funds or fund had been delivered not too sure about that but they are talking about billions if not millions of baht here.

Sorry OP forgot your question:

Yes government has funds availeble to help people, not sure about businesses as many haven't any insurance for this event.

I am personally going to help a few bars to order some extra pins of lager :) .

Annyone would like to help me with this relief effort send me a mail.

So how many TV members who live in Bangkok went out to join the big public cleanup the other day in order to get the city back to normal? Not many I'll wager.

As i have said a million times before,this is a refelction on BK thais and farangs,look after number 1

OP, have you ever considered that when you put a post up, it can quicly work its way off the front page and then others don't see it, of course if NOBODY at all replies then it quickly works its way into the never never land.

first time I have seen this post is today, the 24th, almost midday, no point getting ur nickers in a knott.

I don't know about how to go about helping 'other' people in this crisis. I believe some people were complaining directely to Abhisit about their employment woes and of course it would be nice to see the government kick in some money to help people affected by this. Interestingly the other day I went to Central World Pin Klao and saw a guy working there that had previously been employed at the burnt down Central World.

In the last couple of days, I personally helped someone known to me that has been affected over the last couple of months by the shenanigans in Bkk. I'm not sure if walking the streets of Bkk handing out 1000 baht bills would necessarily help the right people either.

Perhaps you could look into this further, research what options are available for helping people affected by this and report back?

Great advice.

If you want to help Bangkok:

It's difficult getting donations even if there is an ngo or npo doing it. If one doesn't have any idea how to help and puts a general message on a general forum, what do you expect. My general advice is to find an organization in Bangkok/Thailand you admire and do some research into their program. Try to make contact with an actual person who does field work perhaps - then offer your services - if that is not feasible for them offer to make a financial contribution.

i understand the frustration we're all going though right now. Try not to take it out on the forum members. It's not inspiring anyone. What we all need right now more than money is leadership and clear vision.

Edited by ariesram74

Probably worried about the work permit issues similar to those that had problems in the TSunami who offered help. "we dont need your help" GOOD u aint getting it :)

Starting of like a little angry Child, stamping on the floor if it doesn't goes the way it want? Thanks for that.

Now lets make something clear, its not a Catastrophe of biblical dimension, no big Earthquake or a Tsunami. The number of people we are talking about is small. To give you an example. If a factory with 500 employees closes, nobody really cares. If a small Restaurant has to close because there are not enough Tourists anymore, nobody will care. And that Restaurant does not have to be in Bangkok btw. That could be everywhere in Thailand.

Also, before you start to cry for help, make sure there is not already a Solution to the Problem. Means, maybe the Government will help, maybe there is Social Security for People without employment. I don't know, I don't speak Thai, so I can not follow Thai TV, but this may be the case for you too.

So please do your homework first, give us proper Information and then you will get also a better response. In an accident you will call for EMS and not names to the bystanders. Hope you do understand me.

If you want to help Bangkok:

It's difficult getting donations even if there is an ngo or npo doing it. If one doesn't have any idea how to help and puts a general message on a general forum, what do you expect. My general advice is to find an organization in Bangkok/Thailand you admire and do some research into their program. Try to make contact with an actual person who does field work perhaps - then offer your services - if that is not feasible for them offer to make a financial contribution.

i understand the frustration we're all going though right now. Try not to take it out on the forum members. It's not inspiring anyone. What we all need right now more than money is leadership and clear vision.

Thanks for this. If there is a crisis in other parts, there is a credit card 'hot line' type thing. nothing seems to be here. I had hoped the mods might be able to organise something. Seems nothing is available

I live in Chiang Mai, too far to go clean the streets, but willing to contribute if I thought it would get to the people. The clear vision is something only the Thais can provide. We watch in frustration.

Starting of like a little angry Child, stamping on the floor if it doesn't goes the way it want? Thanks for that.

Now lets make something clear, its not a Catastrophe of biblical dimension, no big Earthquake or a Tsunami. The number of people we are talking about is small. To give you an example. If a factory with 500 employees closes, nobody really cares. If a small Restaurant has to close because there are not enough Tourists anymore, nobody will care. And that Restaurant does not have to be in Bangkok btw. That could be everywhere in Thailand.

Also, before you start to cry for help, make sure there is not already a Solution to the Problem. Means, maybe the Government will help, maybe there is Social Security for People without employment. I don't know, I don't speak Thai, so I can not follow Thai TV, but this may be the case for you too.

So please do your homework first, give us proper Information and then you will get also a better response. In an accident you will call for EMS and not names to the bystanders. Hope you do understand me.

What are you on about?

I'm not crying for help , not stamping the floor. I just thought we might be compassionate, but I suspect you don't know the meaning of that word. Just the usual stuff. fine, be happy!

Think about it like this , if you run into difficulties who will help you ? you have serious problems you are expected to leave , return to your own country for help , Thailand is for Thai , is this not an occassion for them to help themselves ?

What happened to most of the funds collected for szunami victims , do you think this sort of fund you are asking for will be treated any differently and given to those most in need ?

A great excuse for inaction, hope you sleep well tonight

msg362' date='2010-05-24 20:43:05' post='363'dumball' post='3637151' date='2010-05-24 08:30:18']Think about it like this , if you run into difficulties who will help you ? you have serious problems you are expected to leave , return to your own country for help , Thailand is for Thai , is this not an occassion for them to help themselves ?

A great excuse for inaction, hope you sleep well tonight

Hang on there a little , have given lots of help over the years , problem is that I found Thai had no idea how to help themselves unless they were payed to do it , just check back in history for things like beach clean-ups etc , they are master litterers and do not give as much as a toss , one can only do so much to help the helpless . Get down off your high horse mr intended good samaraten , you will get the message in the end like so many of us here on TV have done , you act like your avatar princess .

While i admire any gesture of goodwill, in my own personal experiences locally i can tell you that, unfortunately, that help would not be recognized as such but many times they will just see that as a sort of "weakness" from us, they will then try to get more and more and just pretending your help, taking it for granted...and as soon as you stop, you will see the real face of the people you are dealing with..... Being ThaVisa directed to help foreigners in a foreigner land, i would be much more willing to help a fellow foreigner, for which the local laws make life much more complicate and difficult to handle, in the end, we are already giving them a HUGE help by spending OUR money in THEIR land, helping one of us will automatically means helping the locals too with many more chances to see our help recognized as a such and perhaps showing some sort of gratitude or at least respect, no offence but that's what i think, good luck to you

I can certainly understand the feelings of wanting to help, and the frustration that comes with it. Some people do, some join, some dont do either. Can't say I like the 'what did I ever get from them when I was in trouble' mentality.

But the harsh reality is as some have said - in disaster terms, its not one. When there is a disaster organised groups kick into play, and those that want to 'join' even if just by donation. In this instance, its encumbent on the government to assist as it can; I don't think it'll help the man on the street looking for work now but who knows?

OP you are asking for ideas to be contributed but you're looking for others to take the lead. If you had practical ideas and lead those ideas to fruition with practical proposals you might get a little further - a better question might have been to ask if anyone knows how you might contribute to existing infrastructure out there. Perhaps research and contribute to a local charity, all roads lead to Rome. Its a personal bug-bear of mine how much charitable money is thrown away by larger NGOs and I prefer the more face-to-face local charities.

As one poster said, you can't just go around giving out money....these things - no matter how much we may want to make people a little happier and make ourselves feel good - have a negligible effect.

Here is an example list of Thai charities in case you want to pursue more involvement and do some research:

http://www.thaicharities.org/. This one comes up as one of the more respected ones, time and time again:

Human Development Foundation and Mercy Centre - One of the best non-profits in Bangkok, the Human Development Foundation was founded by Father Joe Meier in 1975. HDF works with slum kids in Klong Toey, one of the worst areas in Bangkok. They provide free education as well as running several homes for orphans and kids with HIV/AIDS and programs to help street kids. They even run innovative programs for children of construction workers who, in Thailand, are usually poor day- laborers that come from the Thai countryside to try to make money. Their kids aren't able to be registered in Bangkok schools as they don't have permanent residencies so HDF has set up several school programs to make sure they get some kind of education. HDF is always looking for volunteers. You can work with the kids in the schools or orphanages or help the teachers. If you can teach English too, this is always a skill they're looking for. Contact them at 02-671-5313.

(copied from associatedcontent.com)

..... Being ThaVisa directed to help foreigners in a foreigner land, i would be much more willing to help a fellow foreigner, for which the local laws make life much more complicate and difficult to handle, in the end, we are already giving them a HUGE help by spending OUR money in THEIR land, helping one of us will automatically means helping the locals too with many more chances to see our help recognized as a such and perhaps showing some sort of gratitude or at least respect, no offence but that's what i think, good luck to you

Honestly, I always find this kind of attitude to be quite arrogant, thinking that we are doing a HUGE favor to Thailand by living here. And then to want gratitude for it. Geez. I think that they would be just fine without us. I guess I just try to live more under the idea that I am lucky to be living in their country, taking advantage of the low cost of living and the travel opportunities.

Honestly, I always find this kind of attitude to be quite arrogant, thinking that we are doing a HUGE favor to Thailand by living here. And then to want gratitude for it. Geez. I think that they would be just fine without us. I guess I just try to live more under the idea that I am lucky to be living in their country, taking advantage of the low cost of living and the travel opportunities.

Why "arrogant"? it's a bit like when you walk in a restaurant, am i arrogant in expecting the staff being polites and friendly? surely they will be fine even without my custom, but if they keep that attitudes with so many customers, perhaps they will not end up so nicely...in no way i mean to disrespect locals, just talking about what i came across first hand, different cultures and different ways to see things...or not? same same but different? :)