How To Help People In Bkk?

msg362

Honestly, I always find this kind of attitude to be quite arrogant, thinking that we are doing a HUGE favor to Thailand by living here. And then to want gratitude for it. Geez. I think that they would be just fine without us. I guess I just try to live more under the idea that I am lucky to be living in their country, taking advantage of the low cost of living and the travel opportunities.

Why "arrogant"? it's a bit like when you walk in a restaurant, am i arrogant in expecting the staff being polites and friendly? surely they will be fine even without my custom, but if they keep that attitudes with so many customers, perhaps they will not end up so nicely...in no way i mean to disrespect locals, just talking about what i came across first hand, different cultures and different ways to see things...or not? same same but different? :)

I think that with that kind of analogy, you are disrespecting the locals. It seems that you are equating Thai people in general (and your expected treatment as a foreigner) with wait staff at a restaurant who are there solely to serve you. You seem to think that Thai people should appreciate and respect your presence here more than they do.

You seem to think that Thai people should appreciate and respect your presence here more than they do.

At least when i am giving them my money for a custom or helping them out in something i am not obliged to, maybe is just me having these strange ideas uh? Tonititan i understand that showing gratitudes or expecting the counterpart to be fair and honest is such a old fashioned thing nowadays, however i will try to keep those habits till they are still legal at least, sorry if that upset you anyhows and just keep helping people that doesn't even understand what are you all about, that surely will help the society to progress in resemble what you believe in even more.

You seem to think that Thai people should appreciate and respect your presence here more than they do.

At least when i am giving them my money for a custom or helping them out in something i am not obliged to, maybe is just me having these strange ideas uh? Tonititan i understand that showing gratitudes or expecting the counterpart to be fair and honest is such a old fashioned thing nowadays, however i will try to keep those habits till they are still legal at least, sorry if that upset you anyhows and just keep helping people that doesn't even understand what are you all about, that surely will help the society to progress in resemble what you believe in even more.

It doesn't upset me. I just hope it doesn't offend you that I don't think I'm "God's gift to Thailand" just because I spend money here. :)

I was waiting for a charity to be set up for those that lost their jobs. I'd gladly contribute. I have heard the Thai govt is going to compensate people to the tune of 6 months salary but I would imagine that some 'unregistered' workers will get the short end of the stick.

I think the best way to help the people is to put some money into the local economy around the affected area, I like to know where my money goes. Even the poster who talked about buying a pint is on the right track it all helps.

When taking a holiday I normaly skip bangkok.

I think the best way to help the people is to put some money into the local economy around the affected area, I like to know where my money goes. Even the poster who talked about buying a pint is on the right track it all helps.

When taking a holiday I normaly skip bangkok.

exactly !

going back to, f.e., Siam Square when it re-opens, buying stuff from the local community there, maybe have a smalltalk with them to encourage them to look forward and rebuilt their businesses and existences..... moral support is as important as monetary support, in my opinion.

I would have joined the "clean-up" around Ratchaprasong as well if I would have been in BKK, actually I was very eager to do that to show my support for this exciting city and its hard-working people, unfortunately, I was around 1.000 km away when that happened....

if there is any future activity, I am more than happy to join, though, as a Farang, I find it sometimes difficult to get information about such happeneings..... most of that is published and spread through social networks, and my Thai reading-skills are still too mediocre to follow Thai websites more frequently....

Maybe for something serious mate like a Tsunami.

Can you really see people reaching into their pockets

just because a few hundred people lost their jobs.

So what about if a large factory employing a thousand

people closed down are we to have a whip round again?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Finally, all the thai vendors in Bangkok that have been badly affected by the recents unlucky events have got some real help from their honourable connational in a true thai style, just have a look here...

Some 500 registered vendors stolen of stalls at Silom Shopping streets

Edited by surayu

I wonder if all the Thais that own the shophouses and buildings in Bangkok that are worth millions of baht some 100 million baht,will be donating anything.

I have a thai student renting a room from me here in my western Country who thinks the Red Shirts didnt do enough to destroy Bangkok,so much that i told him to stop talking stupid rubiish to me in my house or he can leave.

The thais caused the problem,mind your own business,some of them are happy they destroyed Bangkok ,just like my thai tenant.

Here i am sitting on my laptop in my lounge room,my thai male tenant is watching the World cup soccer and i just mentioned this thread to him,not that he was overly interested as he s watching Argentina and Nigeria,not that even knows where Nigeria is,but on mentioning about this thread he laughed and said "farang baa"

Its that lack of appreciation from them that doesnt make me want to help them,they caused it.

Edited by actiondell4

Bless them lord for they know not of what they speak .

You have no idea or what i did for Thai in the past , many attempts at trying to alleviate some Thai peoples problems , to the extent one time of moving a small family from disgusting accommodation in BKK , up to their northern home by taxi , then cleaning up the home so it was fit for habitation , even bought a bicycle to ease the problem of shopping etc . Thai seem to have a huge problem in helping themselves , even in a small way , so you just run along and be the good samaritan all you wish , but please do not insult the good heart and intentions of others .

Chang Mai is not too far for a person with honest intent to help others , try setting an example instead of crying in your beer about what you expect OTHERS to do . Sorry to sound so mean but______________some people____________grrrrr .

So how many TV members who live in Bangkok went out to join the big public cleanup the other day in order to get the city back to normal? Not many I'll wager.

Well so many people here have been told to stay out of Thai matters as we are all just Farang. So I assume the same logic holds true now right? As far as the vendors go you can purchase what you normally would in daily life and insist on always getting a good price. Instilling ethical business practices in ordinary life is exactly what they need. Sending money to anybody is just foolhardy.

So true , but you will never convince the Thai-wise that a Thai can be at fault the same as any other nationality , they wil merely climb on a soap-box and point all fingers and toes every whichway to denigrate other 'Homelands' and suggest you go back there . This of course is typical "Mai phen rai" , which appease only the brainless but cures absolutely NOTHING , some have become so deeply embedded , they even try to convince all and sundry they are living the perfect life with all of that fantastically healthy(?) thai food in some village in Nakon-no-where , whilst rubbing the two last baht they posses ,together in their pocket feeling like they own the world , no body else will take them as the losers they are .

'nuff said .