Price Of British Passport Set To Double

seahorse

Here's the story from the Independent.

I thought they were expensive enough as it is. Maybe this move will make it cheaper in the future though, as they should have everybody's details on computer, but I'm not sure that I like the idea of THAT. Some civil servants are really dozy and could really screw things up for you. "I'm sorry Mr Smith, but you don't exist. You're not on the computer."

I guess they'll be similar to the smart ID cards just introduced in HK, with a chip embedded into the card. All details - nationality, travel history, visas, etc. are on the chip which is scanned every time you pass immigration.

Your thumb print and photo are also stored.

Next year, when going thru' HK immigration with one of these cards, you do not need to see an immigration officer - just feed your card into a reader, put your thumb onto a scanner, and if your data is OK and everything matches, you thru'.

It seems more secure and efficient than the currant passport procedures.

Also, if you lose one, it is of no use to anyone else - just get a replacement.

The system will be developed to enable many uses where identification is necessary - libraries, various admitance varifications and even financial transactions.

I doubt they will ever come up with a way that will make it cheaper. More efficient maybe but government never seems to be able to lower the price with increased productivity and efficiency. They usually just find something else to put the savings to :o

I agree dr PP, one thing how will they deal with the visa issue if its on a plastic card? Kinda hard to put the stickers all over the thing and still use it eh?

I remember that movie Axel freaky huh? :D

Keep it real!

I doubt they will ever come up with a way that will make it cheaper.

Actually the card's FOC in HK where carrying an ID is mandatory for residents.

Oh Yes! Nearly forgot - and we pay 15% income tax and no sales tax (VAT) in HK - hehehehe. How's the weather in UK?