What To Take To Thailand?

Hey guys, me and a friend from university are going to Thailand in a month's time for 8 weeks :D Personally can't wait, went for 6-7 weeks last year and it was absolutely amazing, and tbh I can see why a lot of you moved out there - really friendly people, amazing climate and scenery, pretty cheap to live... brilliant in every sense of the word!

Anyway, enough of my rambling :) my question is - what kind of stuff do I need to take to Thailand? I know I went last yr but tbh I can't really remember everything I took - I know last time I overpacked on clothes, as you can pretty much buy everything out there! But I can't really remember how available stuff was in terms of pharmacy stuff/toiletries etc.

So yeh for someone going for 8 months - what essential stuff should I take that I can't get back home (UK)? Or is there nothing really I need to overly worry about, just pack normally? :D

Thanks for the help in advance! :D

Don't think indeed its the perfect time to travel to Thailand , but don't think either

its making the Op impossible to make himself a good holiday here .

First of all take enough pounds , cause the exchange rates are hurting a lot right now , the pound

very much included you get 46 baht only approx at the moment ...

Secondly don't take too much stuff , I know from my traveling years just to stick with one bag , not to large one either

and shop around at the spot when you are in need of something . depends really what you are about to do ,

the basic stuff will do and supply yourslef here cause you can get everything or more thenyou can buy in the UK .

unless you have a prescription medicine and not sure, if you can get an exact medicine in thailand, do not take many of them. Usually they are cheaper than in the UK. You might take some good quality sun block, because those in thailand are imported and expensive. Take all personal electronic (laptop, camera, even unlocked mobile phone) - you will be able to take it back to the UK.

otherwise take as little as possible. On you way back you will have more space for souvenirs/merchandise

Mace for the dogs, bullet proof vest for the demonstrations, orange outfit with flashing lights for the crosswalks (may actually make you easier to hit), anti bacteria pills for food poisoning, petty cash for police payoffs, seizure inducing tablets for Indian tailors, hearing problems for tuk tuk touts, prep H for accidental ladyboy encounters, malaria tablets for dining patios, first aid kit for sick buffalo, hockey helmet and full equipment for tuk tuk rides in Phuket. Oh and have a great trip! :)

Edited by losworld

You can buy most things you'll need if it comes to it, so I wouldnt worry too much. Aside from the more personal things like laptop, camera and phone I never follow my own advice and take too many clothes, though Im not a massive t-shirt wearer and like to take some decent shirts/clothes. If you're backpacking around, as little as possible - a few t-shirts and pairs of shorts would see you through, easy to wash things and you can buy most clothing at a reasonable price. More than that is up to you and what you want to hump!

If you're a big phone user, get a Thai sim card (and cheap crappy phone if yours isn't unlocked). Have a money back-up plan in case you lose your card (I usually have more cash than I need for a few days just in case, and a second emergency only card for when the ATM swallows mine, it can happen)

Get some smaller notes when you change your money - I always find I need a few 20's and a few 10's for tips etc from the taxi into town onwards.

Most important, bring your brain too! Ignoring the rather unhelpful bullet-proof vest post, generally you shouldn't just assume everyone is nice, most are but apply the same common-sense rules you would to yourself when in your own country. By and large, its lovely but you'll already know that the more 'touristy' you are, the more you should keep one eye on the scams. That said, dont let it cloud your opinions, and smiling along with politeness will make you friends as you go.

All sensible advice from previous posters. My 2c....

Make sure you get decent travel insurance and declare any pre-existing medical conditions. I was reading a thread on the Samui forum about a guy who got caught out and has been landed with v.large medical bills. Better safe than sorry! On the same note, be wary about hiring bikes if you haven't ridden in the UK. If you do, get a helmet. The roads are hazardous...

You may want to minimise time spent in BKK and North/North East due to the current tension, although hopefully this will ease.

Don't take much - a medium rucksack would be probably be enough when you are living in shorts/tees etc. Depends on what you plan to wear really. Places doing laundry are everywhere and good value. Day to day tolietries are reasonably priced so no worries there but take suncream and any electronics you need as Thailand is more expensive for these than the UK. Get a pre-paid SIM from 7-11 for making local calls, overseas calls maybe cheapest in an internet cafe with Skype.

You will find the cost of things ain't as cheap as your last holiday due to the poor £/baht exchange rate. The tourist rate is currently about 46 to the £.

If you want to take money from the ATM instead of carrying cash or traveller's cheques, look into getting a Nationwide Flexaccount as the card is the best value (low fees and good exchange rate).

Have a good trip :)

Edited by MarkyM3

Spare pair of shorts, pocket torch although I always forget and regret this and loads and loads of money. No need for anything else at all.

Why the spare pair of shorts are you expecting to lose the other pair?

Spare pair of shorts, pocket torch although I always forget and regret this and loads and loads of money. No need for anything else at all.

Maybe he'd like to wash the ones he's wearing sometimes :)

Have a money back-up plan in case you lose your card (I usually have more cash than I need for a few days just in case, and a second emergency only card for when the ATM swallows mine, it can happen)

I agree, it happened to me. Luckily it was an ATM outside a bank and I got them to go out and get it. Now I always go to a bank during working hours and try not to use these isolated ATM`s unless I really have to.

Also take ENGLISH notes (not Scottish) and travellers cheques as a back-up. The travellers cheques can be returned to the bank for the same value as bought, after your trip.

Shug

Condoms. It is hard to find one that fits here...

Oh, and reconstituted food. You wouldn't want to get sick eating fried insects, bats and frogs would you???

I will give it some more thought for you, but if you are going to Pattaya, certainly don't bring your wife or girlfriend. The shopping there caters more for men.

Maybe he'd like to wash the ones he's wearing sometimes :)

The point is its best to bring as little as possible particularly if you're travelling around. Most people bring way too much stuff. If I was travelling around for months I'd want a small rucksack and no more. You simply don't need more than 2 of anything other than condoms which is also a good suggestion btw.

My Parents are about to return to the UK and have everything you will need at a very reasonable price

PM me when you arrive

:)

thanks for that. Tickled my fancy. What is the price of a 2nd Hand RPG these days anyway? I couldn't find any on Ebay.

I did a year around SE Asia in 2004. Traveled with a carry on backpack. Only way to go. And I still brought too much stuff!

As you know, what ever you need can be bought in Thailand. I do find electronics to be more expensive. So, I would buy your camera, iPod, etc. in the UK. Same with any hard to find prescription drugs. Quality sunglasses also.

I always travel with 2 ATM cards. And have had to use my backup a few times. Easy to open a bank account and put 300 pounds in it. Also, scan your passport and other essential travel docs and then email them to yourself. Might want to get setup with Skype. And I would for sure get a cheap mobile when you get here.

A good resource for backpackers is Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree. A lot of jerks on it, but you find that on any internet forum.

Have a blast and don't forget to check out the surrounding countries also. Lots to see in Cambo, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, etc.

But as mentioned earlier, travel light!!!!!

You could bring a few extra pounds for some decent English instruction , I am perturbed by how good English eludes even the English amongst us .

....as mentioned, bring your manners. Strange how perturbing it can be that it eludes so many people :)